(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2627 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

..and RAZA & AIW.
What company would take on the burden of 3 pinball machines just to gain a designer?
None.
That's what American Pinball is. Nothing. Houdini will never ship, no one who is paid up on a Zidware game will ever see it get made from AP.

I hope they pull this off - Houdini is a cool theme, and the (non-functional) playfield seemed to have some promise. I'm a big ToM fan so another magic pin couldn't hurt! That said, man this is Sisyphus and the boulder. At least we can start to assume they've kicked JPop's ass out the door. Good lord, such a trouble-filled start. Good luck to 'em

2 months later
#2882 7 years ago

... what... the ...F!

I was expecting to think "oh well, too bad... it's only their first pin...". But holy hell was I surprised! The art looks great, I love the steampunk theme... how did they do this in 4 months! If these guys have their act together in manufacturing, and can control costs (which in this day and age they should be able to predict to the penny), this could be a huge upset situation.

Getting this game together in such a short time suggests to me they are looking st efficiencies we do NOT see with some of the other manufacturers. They also clearly did not second guess choices after they were made, which I think is a lot of the issue with other games ("scope creep"). It seems like they just had their ideas, tested and implemented and... bam, built it!

Game looks fun, too - kind of an important thing!!

#3023 7 years ago

Wow... never min a million years would I have expected this would divert my attention from Alien... but boy has it ever...

1 month later
#3142 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I 2nd that...good call. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the PF.

Playing it yesterday, you don't notice - or at least I didn't. There is so much going on in the playfield; it doesn't seem like it but stuff was popping up left and right I didn't notice. And I watched about 10 people before me play while in line. It's like the stuff is hidden until you need it. Really cool

#3159 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Absolutely...the plastic does not fit the turn of the century look. I also hope now that the heat is off of Joe he can tweak the layout....man the picture really speaks volumes of how tight the shots are on the right side.

Joe described how they removed a post from the middle of the pops RIGHT before bringing the game to the show, and it made a tremendous difference in letting the ball travel laterally across the PF.

This apparently alleviated a 'concern' (my paraphrasing term, not his) that there was too much just up-and-down travel and not enough horizontal. I told the guys they should make a movie, not just about the drama but about how much detail went into this (and many other) pin. Best experience I've ever had in pinball. Who gets to talk with the artists themselves? That was just so great.

#3160 6 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed by this game at Allentown. It looked great and played very well. It was about 10 feet away from a couple of Dialed Ins and felt like a fairly comparable game in terms of both quality and content.
I really like that they're just making one version of the game too.

YES. all the craziness with the LEs and super duper champion edition versions of each game just get out of control. I am the biggest Lawlor fan in the world but it makes me sad I will never be able to justify a DI. It's just so far out of my "acceptable frivolous purchase" budget I have taken to ignoring that it exists! AP is better off - less confusing with the single (kick ass) edition

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 119.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.