(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrockstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#414 7 years ago

Why would some new company try to make burned jpop customers whole?
How do you make money building pins if you have to give the first 200 away for free?
I mean,it would be wonderful?
But this stuff just doesn't happen in real life.
I would still like to receive my aiw too after the brutal burn by zidware.
But even a pinball loving, friend of jpop billionaire wouldn't do this?
I admit though that the row of mg cabs is more than strange..but could be a lure?
On the other hand maybe jpop has been busy behind the curtains full time to try and correct this and make customers whole..
I truly believe he absolutely does not want to go down in history like he is going at the moment with this current wikipedia page and stuff.
Everybody says he should apologize and stuff but...
Try talking with an angry mob like pinside, i would take shelter too..don't get me wrong, it was justified anger, but everything exploded..
only pinballs in everybodys hands can earn some respect back and he will change the script that way.
Realistically, i think it is not going to happen,but you know what, i really hope it happens.
He was my favorite designer and him turning my and other peoples money to poop sucked so f@€king hard.
But hypothetically speaking, if they want Houdini pinball to fill the cash register with the promise(mg cabinets picture lure)to make old zidware buyers whole, people could get burned again?
If Houdini sells low numbers 'cause of jpops rep, the whole thing will come down like flying shit.
Then we have magic girl buyers, raza buyers , alice buyers and houdini buyers all losing their money.
Bottom line, i find it hard to believe this will work.

IMG_3749 (resized).PNGIMG_3749 (resized).PNG

#433 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Magic girl was only 16... They didn't mention the others

Oh right...overlooked that...only 16 mg's
But still questionable, why would they?

#451 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

But is it? WCS is a good basic game that had to be finished by someone else. TOM is a pretty, but bad game that is exploitable and never used in competiton. TOTAN is a beginner-level pin with the depth of a sys11 game (but less interesting) and again never used in comps. CV is pretty fun, but again helped by others and saved by great software. EP1 is a complete turd.
JPOP track record is IMHO inferior to many others... Lawlor, Ritchie, Oursler, Eddy, Borg, Gomez, Trudeau, Nordman all are better modern designers.. hell, I have more fun playing Pemberton games than Popadiuk's.

Says a dude that owns 1 dracula

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just speculation. But maybe they think it would be worth it to have him on board as a designer. Not too many of them around if you need one.
LTG : )

True, but if you make mg owners whole, the angry raza mob is standing next in line?
What are your thiughts on that then?

#460 7 years ago

hey?! Houdini poster, was that in zidware headquarters? Man that is crazy

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

JPOP's layouts are blah. TOTAN pops are so orphaned they may as well be in the machine next to it. CV has you shooting just 3 shots for most of the game - left orbit, ramp and ringmaster. The acrobats shot is unmakable on most machines as the ball can't get around the wireform without significant tweaks. TOM has the magical self-destructing trunk whose cladding lasts about 500 games (and that likes to jam and destroy its neighboring ramp). Lots of magnet tricks in TOM and it shoots smoothly, but hardly remarkable. Ep1 is just a colossal failure - huge bash shot up the middle, a couple of saucers that require more luck than skill to hit, pair of nice ramps that do little during gameplay, a useless left orbit shot and absolutely nothing to shoot for on the right.

You are blah...
The cv acrobats shot is about skill,the machine asks you during gameplay if you have the skills to master it but appearantly you don't.
As an aiw buyer i would like to hate the popadiuk pins and sell them..but unfortunately they rock.
So i still have them all.
These themes are majestic and well excecuted.
You can piss on everything jpop did,but he is an awesome designer( that needs a team of people that restrain him to get stuff done )

#532 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

My pinside profile does not reflect the games I actually own. I've owned WCS94, CV, TOTAN and Ep1 in the past (all sold), and have played ToM quite a bit. I'm very familiar with JPOP games

I was messing you dude,check the emoticon

#542 7 years ago

and it's quite telling that he's the only oldschool WMS designer that did NOT get hired or contracted in some form by Stern or JJP.

Ah that is a good point indeed...
Still i feel sorry for your bad taste
I own a bunch of stern LE's and they just don't do me like a good old bally, they just feel rock solid.
My cv is still as i bought it 5 years ago...i don't wax or clean it because it plays like a million bucks.
Owned the jjp's, did nothing for me.

To me, there is nothing more satisfying than hitting the acrobats shot dead on,so hard,that the wire ramp has a hard time keeping the ball on there..

#543 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Ah ok.. I've had some other actually claim I have no standing to hold opinion because I "only owned a lowly Dracula"

Don't let anybody tell you that!
Dracula is awesome.

#785 7 years ago

Yes! It is real !

I was afraid it was a fake company website that some troll made..pinside seems to attract a lot of them.

Man,i am so happy Magic Girl buyers are receiving something for their lost money!
It was such a brutal situation..

Give AP a break, hold your breath for a few months.

If this is happening, it is close to a miracle?

Stop the negativity and everybody that is not an aiw , raza or mg buyer, don't post,it doesn't matter what you think.
You just like fueling fires.
People lost their asses( incl me) let AP do their thing and follow progress in a positive way.

Stop throwing poop at them,do you throw poop at somebody on the street that you don't know?

(The answer is no btw)

#788 7 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

If they make it to Expo, Berk and Pacak better have hired a ton... *TON* of security. REAL security/police... not his buddies. There is no way a riot does not ensue IMHO...
Jaz

Yeah watch out for those super tough pinsiders,they will point their finger at you when you ain't looking.
Some might even Whisper something from the other side of the room

#1138 7 years ago

gave it some thought, i want one...this is exactly the crazy layout i like.
you know,for all the years waiting,negativity and misery, it is only fair to finally have a machine?
what? because of all the crap i should not buy from this company?
i think it is fair for me to have a machine,just like the mg owners.
plus i have some zidware credit too,i might just make a good deal.

#1149 7 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

I can't believe all of the people saying $7k looks like it is competitively priced. If it was $4k then yes it is competitively priced. Next year what will we be saying 10k, that seems like a competitive price.
Also all of the zidware crap and the speaker grills bother me. I bet in JPOPs mind he can just continue on like the last 5 years didn't happen. This is not good to let a narcissist carry on like that.

I can't believe you own a 1986 Raven

#1150 7 years ago

And you want to own a 1980 embryo

IMG_3894 (resized).PNGIMG_3894 (resized).PNG

#1232 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm not going to speak and possibly jeopardize the situation for myself and the other owners. Details will eventually be revealed at a later date. - Get some fresh air.
American Pinball has a long way to go cleaning up the Jpop mess before speaking publicly. How about letting things solidify without us having to check with you point by point.

Hm, you know stuff dude...send me a pm, i won't gossip,tell me what's up over there!

#1319 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Whatever it is....they seem to be trying. People had nothing before, nor the hope of anything. If they get something, it would be great. Maybe a Houdini in place of something that they could keep or sell and make some money back.
Something is better than nothing and I say until proven otherwise, let's give AP the benefit of the doubt.

And ted has spoken!
Can't agree more.

#1321 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Houdini, for better or worse.

I am gonna start a new thread with this quote as the title...brilliant.
That is deep bro..

#1497 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's not hard to program a box of lights.

It also isn't hard to ship a pinball to europe Ben.
Followed every step of america's most haunted from early on in the ben heck show,and i was one of the first to contact spooky and order one.
But apparantly your games are only for Americans.
I would line up all your games in my gameroom and be in the market for all oncoming titles.
But no machines for the pinballrockstar..
So AP certainly has my attention,they will ship worldwide?
Concerning AP,you don't have to talk them down,you have a good rep.
It makes you look bad if you throw mud at them.
You are a rockstar at programming,don't take cheap shots at AP.
If you are convinced of your own powers,you don't have to.
Be a gentleman about it,you usually are.
Ship me a AMH,or i will buy a Houdini..and that is a serious threath!

#1501 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

pretty-looking boxes of lights that don't flip - we've been here before.

Yeah,true..can't argue on that.

#1540 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Being critical of JPOP isn't quite as unprofessional as spending 5 years and 1.5 million dollars making a blinking box of lights (that someone else has to help you finish)

Yeah you are right...lost my focus for a bit...but still think you should convince spooky to ship international.
Now i might end up with a box of lights instead of a Spooky title.
Listen to your conscience Ben...that would be the saddest thing.
I am your biggest european fan and i can't buy these pins?
It sucks
We don't even have the ben heck show over here,we have to buy ben heck show dvd's from shady people in a creepy alley.

#1577 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I know of 3 people in the EU with AMH and a few more with RZ coming to them.
You just need to have a buddy in the US that is willing to be your surrogate and deal with shipping plus you have to be willing to take on the risk of getting something not certed in the the EU.
It really is not very hard.

But nobody wants to be my buddy whysnow..
I have no friends in the usa...can we be friends?
I will totally be your buddy!

#1583 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sure, happy to help.
Since I dont know you, keep in mind that you pay for 100% of everything and the money sits safely with me for 6months before your game ships. You take care of all the logistics.
I am happy to drive over and pick up your game in Benton and take it to Milwaukee (nearest hub for LTL to EU) but since we are not real buddies, you will pay for my time.
Happy to trade my efforts for you shipping me a title that is easy to find and cheaper over there. Feel free to PM if you are serious.

Well sounds like a plan?
I already shipped a rare "jolly park" from spinball to the usa..so i have experience in that department.
Sent it by plane,went smooth as hell.
It would be even cooler if we made a network of pinheads in a new topic.
Try to get as many people on board as we can all over the map and we can help eachother out to ship pins globally.

#1661 7 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

this topic is weird, some of you seem frustrated and even a little bossy or agressive.

Yeah..weird!

#1750 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Houdini might as well be zid4

Zid 5 if you include kiss,that was actually just as far along as the rest

#1806 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

So how do the contributors to this thread feel about Cirqus Voltaire? Just curious. I love the game personally and am looking forward to another JPOP game. My view is not tainted by getting ripped off though...

you never had a cirqus voltaire nor another jpop title.

IMG_4096 (resized).PNGIMG_4096 (resized).PNG

#1836 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

That's where I play it. It's on location at one of the leagues I participate in. I really do enjoy the game but I am not good enough at it yet to be bored of it. It's crazy to me how much draw JPop's games have though. I will admit, I am drawn to all of the titles mentioned TOM, TOTAN, WCS, and CV. I've never actually played TOTAN but I really want to. I think it is the cool toys that provide the draw factor - Just my opinion obviously.

Lol everybody goes medieval on me...i love this forum
If i don't add an emoticon,it must be an attack!! Hahaha
Have a sense of humour people, relax.
I love every jpop machine too wizard mode!
Very hard situation,cause i hate what jpop did to me.
But i still cannot sell my jpop machines and i simply want all the new titles with his layout,i really really like the low dmd and goofy layouts.
Can't help myself.
Did you get to join the cirqus already in the arcade? Must be nearly impossible on 3 balls.
My machine is set on 10 balls so i have the time to get there

#1878 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The bigger problem is the 140 or so RAZA/AIW buyers. At a similar BOM of MG that's $980,000 required or 490 Houdini's sold. That seems unlikely.

But maybe Ben,John send the letter to us all , because he did not have enough cash anymore to build ALL the machines, but maybe there is enough cash left to build SOME machines..
Totally speculating,but he can't be at $0 in his account?
He's not that stupid?
Is he?

#1912 7 years ago

Aiw 133 units

#1935 7 years ago

Nevermind,

#1952 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I guess you're not in the private group. No matter, I now feel comfortable releasing this on Pinside. Here's a copy of my post to the owners group on October 6th:
-----------------
" I had a phone meeting this morning with Scott Goldberg of American Pinball. Not his fault but I was short on time and we will speak again. Here are my quick notes.
Jpop is a consultant for AP to do Houdini
AP has no ownership of Zidware.
Zidware is the manufacturer of Magic Girl & RAZA
AP has been contracted to build MG on behalf of Zidware
MG will be manufactured as originally promised and shown by Jpop. No cut corners and only present owners will receive one. Delivery before the end of the year.
There will not be a second run of MG under a different or same game name.
Houdini is an original machine and not a lesser tier Magic Girl.
The manufacturer and builder of Houdini is AP. Designed by Jpop.
Owners of RAZA and AIW will be compensated after MG delivery and after the Houdini launch.
Compensation for those games is undetermined at this time and no time line given.
RAZA will most likely be built and limited to the 125 owners. Again, built for Zidware and no second run. However, options to swap into Houdini may be given to RAZA / AIW owners.
Here’s my guess on the unsettled RAZA / AIW situation. Magic Girl was paid in full by the owners so it was a no brainer. RAZA / AIW are paid for in various amounts and therefore need to be handled on a case by case situation.
What this means is, we are all still dealing with Jpop and this is his solution to make things right.
I need questions from you guys for my next meeting with Scott. Please put them in this thread. I apologize to the vendors for overlooking them.
Kim

Well well well...positive news on pinside.

#1961 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If Houdini turns out to be good, I'd be satisfied if they let me apply my RAZA money towards it. I bet most other RAZA/AIW owners would happily do the same.

'bsolutely

#1963 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

... they worked out some kind of deal with JPop that is to their mutual benefit. In John's case, he gets to fulfill his contractual obligations and gets the lawsuits off his back.

Yeah..he has to work 183 years as a designer for AP to pay them back

IMG_4329 (resized).JPGIMG_4329 (resized).JPG

#1970 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Possible "potential" positive news on Pinside. I've heard nothing from anyone and I'm still out more than 9k to JPop. My Warm and fuzzy feeling is pretty cool right now.

We all feel that way...but i've been hoping since the meltdown and i am still hoping.
Maybe i am somewhat too excited, but i want to receive something for my $

#2175 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow..you guys are tough. You're telling the prospect of a sub 7k pin that looks like that does nothing for you guys? But a redesigned BDK with some decals and paintf for 15k will make you hoot and holler? I like what I see..I think it's a 100% positive that Balcer is on the team (I don't even like Balcer's design language) he will undoubtedly fix any bad designs that Jpop had thrown in.

It looks awesome and i want it.
No Dialing in, no batman66 and no alien for me.
7k for a very cool houdini machine.

IMG_4375 (resized).JPGIMG_4375 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
#2356 7 years ago

Sooo anyone heard something about ap/jp?

3 weeks later
#2421 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Believe me.... you will know.

Know me....you will believe.

#2438 7 years ago

Man...imagine getting your 16000 back after all this time...wow

#2452 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The Twelve Days of JPOP Christmas.
(Sing to the tune of the original)
On the 12th day of Christmas, JPOP gave to me ...
12 angry pinheads
11 broken contracts
10 unpaid tax bills
9 different websites
8 custom hinges
7 deals with saviours
6 Starbucks lattes
5 .... silver .... balls ....
4 lame excuses
3 empty cabinets
2 purple playfields
And a magic girl for lots of moneyyyyyy
Gold.
rd

#2473 7 years ago

Oh...that is epic and fucking funny from every angle..

3 weeks later
#2690 7 years ago

Man this is taking forever,new MG delays again...
Stop trying to build a row of machines,that appears to be too hard.
Just start building one pinball machine so there is 1 thing to show...
Send one dude this machine and we have frontpage news.
Build 1 pinball machine,just one

2 months later
#3101 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Not yet convinced how cabinet will look in a line up

Hahaha this should not be in a lineup?!
Silly man..
This is a work of art,meant for your living room.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 36.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrockstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=pinballrockstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.