(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#978 7 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I dont' know all the legalities, but regardless I think it's suicide if American Pinball doesn't completely make everybody involved with John whole, to use John as a designer on their tables. They have to know this, so they must actually intend to make everyone whole.

Ok I think this has been beaten to death now. Yes, they knew the background of John. However, it's not suicide to take this on, even if they don't make MG AIW and RAZA owners some kind of deal. There's plenty of people that either know a little about john, nothing about john, even some that probably know the whole story that would still jump on Houdini if it turns out to be a fun pin to play. The IP issues and what Bill owns or Zidware owns is another story.. but what I see is:

If Zidware owns the patents/IP, than the lawsuit has to be resolved. Of course AP realized this, and John would easily jump on board @AP probably for cheap pay if it meant he got to continue making pinball and his lawsuit potentially is settled. So 26 MG's are planned to be finished in hopes of the lawsuit being settled. Than AP can use all the IP/patents from Zidware, unless there's potentially more lawsuits from Raza or AIW investors... however they likely would just turn over investors credits (probably not 1) to a different title from AP. Than they guarantee some future sales. Who knows, maybe they'll finish Raza and AIW and plan on making up losses thru the rest of the sales on those games. It seems like AP def. has significant capital backing already.. so losses could be absorbed now and made up with future profit. If they pull this all off they got a ton of early PR coverage.. even bad coverage can be good.

#985 7 years ago

Yes -- complete agree with you Vdojaq.

Realizing that the big thorn to pull out is the lawsuit. I doubt there's too much stipulation as to how MG has to play once delivered although it makes sense that they would want to deliver a decent product.. probably just a bit stripped down from the one shown at the NW show where certain mechs & placements didn't even make sense mechanically.

For the rest of the investors, at this point no one was expecting to get *anything* so getting credit on a different game (or possibly even the same game they put $$ down on) is a win. Of course some people won't be happy with this, but I'd take a hot tea in liu of a cappuccino if I've paid and there's no refunds.

I DO wonder about the vendors that weren't paid though -- which I think mainly relates to MG, possibly the art on AIW or RAZA? Just totally screwed? AP really has no reason to pay them unless they worked something out with John already regarding that as well.

#1018 7 years ago
Quoted from shoemakesmusic:

What I'm trying to figure out, and forgive me if this has been mentioned, but why didn't AP reveal MG in a playable form? According to AP, they are shipping them out as early as October Expo. That has to mean there is at least one completely finished or damn-near-it machine in their possession. Right?

But what's the point? They are only making 26 to satisfy the lawsuit. There's really no 'revealing' to take place.. they just need to get the customers their machines and call it a day with MG.. at least for now. Also my guess is that with the stripped down features and such, people will probably rip it apart if they did a 'reveal' before shipping them. It's easier for them to let the owners evaluate... if the revealed them and the people bringing the lawsuit weren't satisfied than they have another problem to fix.

#1304 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'm still stuck on why delivering MG pins would make everything better? There was just as much hype, promise and money given to JPop for RAZA as for MG. we have a RAZA blog FULL or design crap flooded to us by JPop and promise of "full speed ahead". And then cash from AIW buyers when he knew his ship was under water...

It doesn't make it all right but they HAVE to settle the lawsuit before Houdini can Be sold because of the patents involved. If they can jump that hurdle, then raza and aiw builds or credits on deposits can be assessed. One step at a time.. But Houdini ain't going anywhere until that lawsuit gets fixed me thinks

#1360 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Could be as simple as zidware contracts ap to build games... And pays ap in licensing and consulting credits. I think there are a few ways they can do it if they are willing participants

Exactly. If "zidware" delivers mg than they fulfilled their obligation. Question is do owners say f you and not accept it and continue lawsuit or accept the machine and drop it? They will have to decide together I believe? Or majority? At this point though I don't see what the end product is of the lawsuit if there's no money at zid to pay back.. A mg machine is better than nothing

2 weeks later
#2226 7 years ago

Is there a link to the ap talk? They did a talk right? Curious where it came out that they were now trying to distance themselves from John? Also did someone from the lawsuit group mention that not all parties were going to be satisfied with an mg delivery? I'm confused about what happened at expo -- cointaker initially posted they were impressed but obviously no mg delivery for them are they still expecting one soon?

#2261 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I am curious what the secret is behind the artist for Houdini. AP was asked pointblank twice in the seminar and I heard Dennis Nordman ask again in the oak room who was the artist. They declined all three times saying only it's someone who never did the art for pinball but has been around the industry. They flaunt using zidware ip but the artist is a no go. LOL

Was this recorded? I'd love to see the seminar with AP. Link anyone?

#2280 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

You need to follow PinballNews.
The show writeup and video recordings from expo were great. If you scroll down half page until you see
8:30am - American Pinball - Scott Goldberg & Dhaval Vasani. link is http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/index.html but appears it is not uploaded yet.

Thanks!! I guess I'm guilty of leaning too heavy on Pinside for news

#2315 7 years ago

Thanks for the post NeilMcRae!

2 months later
#2519 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

How many MG machines were pre-paid and promised to ship? I think I've read somewhere that the cabinets were actually made and there were some parts made? Realistically, how far away are they from having an actual machine that works?

By "they" you mean jpop and that's all he has -- 25 empty cabs, some screwed up Playfields that couldn't be cleared, and the nw show "prototype" that likely hasn't changed much since.. so unless a miracle happened or sometjing big usgoing on behind the scenes it ain't that close

#2525 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Game parts are now finally on hand.
Legalities have been worked out.
Code design is very basic.
Construction has not yet started.
"Code design does not fix playfield problems."
I wish AP the best of fortune.
Nothing wrong with skepticism, it's been a long ride.

You're talking about mg? Where are you getting said information, you speak as if you are getting first hand updates??

2 weeks later
#2685 7 years ago

Lexi might look a bit dated having been in dev for what since 2012? But the games for that platform on Lexis heels -- I am betting they look much less "dated". Besides, dated can still be a ton of fun. Dialed in still some sounds like a lot of fun from those that have played. Lexi gets tough love because of the new concept, I think people will come around on it though

#2701 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don't need to be retro to look good. Just needs good art direction. I know this is a video game and that's a different world...but look at this new Shantae game that came out. They're using good artwork, with lots of separation of assets, animated in a "Flash" like manner, but VERY well. IMO this is what they need. Character art that looks appealing. Simple 2D art that's art directed and animated well. This doesn't require massive horsepower or a lot of money...just the right crew.
Imagine this type of art direction, lighting, and appealing characters popping up on the P3 screen:
» YouTube video

I'm not disagreeing with you on this - but my point was missed. Lexi is the pilot game -- multimorphic has been a lot more concerned with so many other factors than art and the dev time has been very significant. Now that many things have been worked out and once manufacturing is going smooth the future p3 games should be able to concentrate more time/energy on cool art and gameplay features. ESP. True for those that have taken the role of 3rd party game devs.

2 months later
#3082 7 years ago

Great write up -- wish you could get this from other manufacturers! I suppose this game in particular has such a crazy back story though that perhaps it makes it quite a bit more interesting to hear -- it's cool to hear the stories directly from the coder. I'd love to hear more stories like this on past or present games. How cool is it to directly interact with the customer base/audience and possibly incorporate some feedback through an online dialogue!?!

A lot of love for Houdini so far- sounds like final game will be a blast!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 119.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=mbecker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.