(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#466 7 years ago

I've spotted some duplicate accounts of his and notified the mods. It doesn't seem real easy to spot duplicate accounts unless those of us who are on here often help out.

Chris could probably start a new account if he wanted and be a quality pinsider but he just starts new shit with each new username. It's pretty sad.

#519 7 years ago

They may be a legit manufacturer but just having JPOP involved makes people cautious (I hope). Until they produce a game I can pay for and pick up same day then I will be skeptical.

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Speculation at best

I really think that's all we have. Man I want to go to Expo.

#715 7 years ago

I hope the playfield looks better than the cab. Reminds me of a Zen virtual pin.

#1045 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I think we are dangerously close to seeing several of these companies fail simply because the collector's market can't sustain 5 or 7 new titles a year at $7K plus. It's not sustainable. That's not to say that pin prices won't remain high...but I don't think all of these companies can co-exist in a market place that has been revived from the dead. It just feels like this is going to cycle backwards as the novelty wears off to less-than-enthusiasts and trends change.

They say history repeats itself. I'm wondering how long other high points in pinball lasted. I'm thinking late 70s/early 80s and early to mid 90s. Did those last 5 years or less before interest waned?

#1133 7 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Can we get a indefinite moratorium on magic-themed pins? Enough already! Cease and desist.

I'm secretly hoping for a real life Zen Sorcerer's Lair but that theme to me is more 80s children's movie than magic.

#1214 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only if it Shoots Great, just like the original! By the way I currently own two Stars, and we are trying to find a third so we can have a IFPA Stars tournament next month.

I wish I was closer.

#1215 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

so if MSRP is $7k, would that make street price $6250? That's right in line with spooky.

Isn't MSRP closer to the real thing for these smaller pin makers? Spooky says $6250 and that's what you pay. Heighway's suggested price is also very close to what you have to pay. I'd say the $7K will be the price.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. First let's see this thing actually play before talking price. I do hope they bring their machine to Expo in playable form but probably best to leave JPOP at home.

#1226 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Just look at Stern's obnoxious pricing on Batman 66. It's obscene...but if people line-up with their wallets open, the price is validated and Stern will continue mining for more. I think the current pricing structure is designed and built by the collecting community. Period.

I'm curious if that becomes a one time a year thing. Stern makes one higher priced pin that's "maxed out" on features per year. I know they said this is just for their 30th anniversary but they have an anniversary every year.

#1230 7 years ago

My area was pretty recession proof. We felt little effects of it but I know that for some people it was pretty rough.

#1263 7 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

I think this is at the heart of one of the two arguments I've read. One group of people is fine with buying from a company that condones JPOP's ethics enough to associate themselves with him, because no one they care about was burned by the guy.
The other group of people however considers every single pinball player in their in-group. This new company employs someone who stole from "us". Even though I haven't personally lost money in this fiasco, I'm frustrated by people that are egotistical enough brush aside JPOP's shameful sense of ethics, which is something American Pinball is apperently fine with as well.
I understand that this MG undertaking might actually work out for pre-purchasers, and if it does, then I'm happy they finally got something out of this horrible ordeal. To me though, any MG I'll ever see will always remind me of the sad incompetent guy that probably managed to survive in the 90s industry by the grace of the hardworking people around him, and whose delusions of grandeur have been allowed to exist because the pinball crowd is too courteous to sink to his level.
It doesn't matter whom a thief steals from. It's the belief that lying and taking things you haven't earned is ok, that I have a problem with.

I'm not a part of either group. I'm just an outsider interested in seeing new pinball games being made. Although I do hope people have the common sense to only buy a game that's standing in front of them. No more of this preordering bullshit, especially now that so many pins are being made.

It sounds to me that JPop working gives the people who spent their money unwisely on him a better chance of getting their money or a pinball machine out of the deal. That's the reasonable thought but I know there are some that are still emotional from the whole ordeal.

#1266 7 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Thanks for the input. It's time I went to bed here, but before I do, could I ask you to elaborate on your first statement? In what way do you consider yourself an outsider?

In relation to Jpop, I'm an outsider. I didn't put any preorder money down and I'm not a fanboy of his previous (or current) games. They are OK but nothing spectacular.

#1488 7 years ago

That attract mode is the bare minimum. Inserts on. Inserts off. Looks like there are some different colors in the inserts and the screen say Press Start. I wish somebody would have.

Anybody have any experience with those boards they referenced in the video?

#1491 7 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

This pinball machine looks awesome already. Should I ever get a chance to play one and like it, should it be in stock at a distro at that point, I think I will get one.

That's the way to do it but who knows if that will ever happen. It's just so weird how they popped up overnight.

Everyone talks about how code is so important on Stern's games. I'm curious who is doing their programming. It's never been important for the popularity of Jpop's other games but he's never made a game in this millenium either.

#1492 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That just means it has a Gigabyte x86 motherboard. And JJP uses Intel Atom, while MMR has a BeagleBone black.
It does explain how they got it into a booth at this show. Clever.
It's probably still using the same PROC ripoff system as before.

Thanks Mr. Heck.

I'm a novice to this sort of stuff.

#1558 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

People screaming mad about JPOP and and others in full support of AP.

Don't forget about us in-betweeners who are reading this thread because it's like seeing an accident before your eyes. It's fascinating.

I'm not mad at JPOP but I understand why others are. I don't fully support AP but it would be neat if they succeeded despite the uphill climb.

#1695 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Used 80's Dodges?
My wife and I have owned a lot of Dodge's. Every model change of the Durango since it's inception and two recent Chargers. ALL have been great trouble free vehicles. My last car was an Audi A7 but I recently sold it and bought a 2016 Charger Scat Pack. The Audi was a really nice car.....but there is no question the scat pack is more fun to drive.

You act surprised at the dig towards 80s Dodges but then reply with examples of good Dodges that weren't from the 80s.

Dodge (or Chrysler) had a bad rep in the 80s mainly for the government loan they received. Also their styling is pure cheese. But they did have some popular cars like the K cars and the Caravan. In fact just looking at pics of them makes me want one for the cheese.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1753 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I was not "surprised" at all. You never mentioned which era of Dodge's you were referring to.....the implication being "all of them". I was inquiring if you meant the 80's because they were total crap in the eighties....(but not so much now).

Ah, I see where I made the mistake. The OP (which isn't me) posted "Sterns are like used Dodges" and you asked, "80s used Dodges?" because you stated Dodges today are very well made. Well as least I got to post some pics of some cool 80s Chryslers.

1 week later
#1992 7 years ago

I hope you keep posting pics. Are the games there?

#2002 7 years ago

Wasn't there supposed to be a Magic Girl at Expo?

#2026 7 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

Agreed I just thought they would have something, to give people some idea of where they going. I mean a keynote slideshow anything. I really don't get these guys, what reason could they have for wanting to get in front of a bunch of pissed off people, if they had nothing of real substance to show. This timing just seems way off. Should of waited till Texas festival or next years expo, come out blow people away and hit the ground running. Arrive at the show with a semi trailer loaded with 25 magic girls and people would let them spruke Houdini all day long. Got see how this tatic of coming out way to early is going to get them any praise.

So true. I mean was there any reason for the rushed reveal. I didn't catch even so much as here a whisper on here before a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it was JPOP's litigation troubles that pushed the reveal.

#2039 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

How are they on the Expo shirt as a company?

I was very surprised by that. Why put one company who just appeared a month ago and another that just seems to be a licensing firm on their shirt with legit manufacturers?

I guess it might be a nice keepsake when they fade into obscurity.

#2040 7 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Cointaker was not impressed

That kind of confuses me because didn't he post on Facebook that he saw their factory and it was real. Was that hackers?

#2097 7 years ago

That playfield displayed like that is kind of hilarious and sad.

I'm wondering if JPOP offered this game to them at a discount rate and these guys thought this would be a jump start in starting a new pin company. This makes me think they may be telling the truth that they don't know who the artist is. Maybe another reason they don't want to say who the artist is JPOP owes him money too.

#2111 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I hear the world availability of the paint color purple has a severe shortage since the announcement of Zidware and American Pinball.

*Ahem* Actually that's the color lavender, a common misconception.

glasses-cool.gifglasses-cool.gif

#2133 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

LOL at the screws drilled into the ramp to hold it in place. Also, check out that loose nut that is just sitting on the playfiled to the right of the ramp. WTH??

That nut is actually on the lane plastic.

#2135 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

With all the BS aside, MG and RAZA play fields look awesome too.
Can't scrape the BS off any of these playfelds. Houdini is 100% Jpop BS.

Was there a RAZA playfield revealed? I thought there was just a cabinet.

It doesn't really matter.

#2151 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

No box, you don't have to make it work.

I guess that's what they were thinking? I mean it's not like they had to travel cross country and we've already seen a cabinet. Strange indeed.

#2185 7 years ago

Maybe the Zidware games can be the Minecraft of pinball. They give you the complete physical game. They make a free program for your computer that allows you to create your own software and rules for it. No more #wheresthecode.

#2287 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

But for that price you can buy more bang for a buck games like gb or walking dead.

The difference there is Stern is making a ton more games and can charge less because of that. I don't how this became an argument of what Spooky is doing but they have done things the right way. Start small and simple and build from there. If you look at how Stern started it's very similar.

For a couple of years Gary Stern was just making conversion kits with Pinstar and then started making full machines with the backing of Data East. He made a few original theme games and built confidence until he got some licenses.

Spooky has already jumped in front of Stern with a contracted game for Domino's which Stern hadn't done until Pabst Can Crusher. I deeply admire Spooky for their hard work and patience. Someday I would love to support them with a game purchase. The same cannot be said of American Pinball yet and with an abundance of choices to spend money in this hobby it may never happen.

#2295 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

The Pabst Can Crusher is just a re-theme of WNBJM, a Stern contract pin released in March, 2015.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-the-pabst-can-crusher/page/6#post-3378293
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6252
Spooky Pinball's Domino's Spectacular Pinball Adventure is about to launch in 4Q 2016.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dominos-pinball-launch-party-and-tournament-buffalo-ny

Whizbang is more like Ka-Pow. Stern is just licensing the game. Domino's and Pabst are actually the companies selling the pin, not Stern, Spooky or the distributors.

#2297 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I see where you're coming from. When you refer to "contract", you're focusing on sales and distribution, whereas when I refer to "contract", I'm referring to manufacturing. Stern has contracts with parties like Pabst, Whizbang, Ka-Pow, and PPS/CGC to manufacture pinball machines, because those parties don't have the internal manufacturing capability to do it themselves. But even if you define the term "contract" based on who is selling or distributing the pin, Stern's contract with PPS/CGC for MMR was still before Spooky's contract with Domino's.

Sure CGC contracted Stern to do the assembly of MM but MM is not a promotional product. Pabst and Domino's are promoting a brand. An equivalent is getting a bunch of pens or coffee cups with your company name on them. Obviously pins are more complex.

Companies that contract manufacture an item to promote someone's product is different from licensing IP. It's similar to what companies in China do.

#2317 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

» YouTube video
enjoy!

Next time can you turn your phone on the side?

5 months later
#2834 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

Some details.
Seven ball game. Multiple catapults that throw the ball around. One throw is 20" if I heard right. A working stage where ball goes and may or may not disappear. All RGB lighting. Code about 20% done.
They are going to use distributors only and no direct sales. No preorders. No deposits. Will sell when games are done.

Seven ball game?! Weird.

#2945 7 years ago

Even though it's photoshop I like the art. I will always prefer hand drawn art but this is well done.

The screen and backglass surround are very nice. I much prefer them over Stern's bigger speaker panel solution.

The cabinet head shape is a negative. I never understood making odd shapes with the backbox. It takes longer, makes more waste, and looks uglier.

I know it may be impossible to hit a lower price point but if A.P. (or anyone) can hit the Stern's pro price point with a future game maybe we'll see a shift in market share. For now I don't think this makes much difference.

Very impressed with the speed of putting this together. Now we'll see if they are just as quick with production. The photoshop, the backbox shape and any other negatives are small potatoes that can be fixed with future games if needed. Focus on code and producing the games quickly and A.P.'s reputation will grow exponentially and JPop will be forgotten.

Take a boo, A.P. You did a good job.

#2967 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys wanna buy this thing be my guest. Still seems like a johnny come lately cash grab to me but unless the market collapses there's surely a market for this thing at $7,000. And no denying they proved it can be done quick...all the other non-sterns seem to be taking years to churn something out.
Looks like they put the right team together.

Totally agree there. I'm not interested in buying but I wouldn't mind playing it because...well, you know...I like pinball.

It will be interesting to see how well it plays for such a short development.

I wonder what the story behind Balcer's layout is. If he already had ideas to change things at Expo or started fresh. 5 months have past since Expo. How does that development time compare with Stern?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.