(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 7 years ago

At least we won't have to wait long to know if this is in fact BS.

Would just like to point out that the heading of the PR says Sept 26, and it's the 22nd. The body says the 26th, which makes sense, but the event is the 27th-29th according to the web site. Not that it means anything, just something I saw.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Weird thing is if you google street view you can make out this logo on the mailbox.
If it's a joke, it's sad that someone took the time to do all the "fake" websites etc.

The company is real and the founder has even said that he is working with JPOP (before toning it down a little). This presser though, is probably a load of crap put together from details about the company and JPOP c/o Pinside's favorite podcaster. Theatre was supposed to be David Copperfield. Change that to Houdini and combine concepts of Theatre and Magic Girl and it's not that hard to come up with content.

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Why not?
Look at the average number of listens he gets per episode...Now compare that to the average number of pinsiders/guests on pinside at any given time.
Think its a coincidence that both of those numbers are about 600 on average?
Bunch of closet listeners we all are...

How do you know how many listens a podcast gets that isn't yours? Seriously, because I have a podcast but because I host it on a Wordpress site I haven't found a way to check downloads at all.

#624 7 years ago

Lunch time in Vegas, anyone on the ground to see if this is actually a thing?

#732 7 years ago

That's not a reveal, that's a teaser. Things are supposed to work when you reveal them.

#1182 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

do you know AP team? is there a great pinball player in Spooky, JJP, Heighway, DP team?
i get the feeling that many people enjoy to be naturally negative and criticize all day long. maybe i am wrong..

JJP has Keith Johnson, ranked 238 in the world and #1 in Illinois.
Heighway has 2 decent players on staff as far as I know.
DP, no idea.
Spooky, have taken feedback left and right to make code better for players. Dominos is getting geometry tweaks based on feedback from Nick Lane (sub-350 ranked), Kevin Manne (sub-750 ranked), and Jack Danger (sub-500 ranked). I would imagine this will happen for future titles as well.

#1224 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

so? why AP would not be able to do the same and well advised by a great player?

You asked, I answered. AP could do the same thing. Going by how JPOP's Zidware games were designed, he makes pretty things, and when MG was played, it wasn't very smooth. Being in Chicago, AP could have their pick of top 100 players to shoot the games and provide geometry/rules feedback. Have they? Will they? I sure don't know. Even if they did, would John really take that input and adjust the layout?

1 month later
#2384 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Did you see how many assemblies under that playfield had the "Z" cutouts on them?
These guys have to redo everything.

This is why people are rarely given blank checks to just come up with ideas. If somebody else was in charge of the money, they would have pointed out long ago that under playfield brackets need to be boring. Nothing needs Z's lasered into it before getting bent into shape and bolted out of sight.

4 weeks later
#2470 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I doubt it. Why would they hire Joe Balcer if they were throwing in the towel? I bet they are restructuring and will come out of the shadows when they have something to show.

That's what I was going to say. You want to know the current state of AP, find out what Joe is doing on a daily basis.

#2500 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Just keep in mind for all those that are still interested.
MG won't necessarily be a "great, amazing, wonderful flow and deep ruleset" pinball machine.
People should be satisfied it finally works, flips, and is reasonably playable.
I know this is not the optimal end state, but that is the final best case scenario, and investors get something.
Based on the current market, it might not make a difference, as "rare", "good", and "expensive" do not always go together.
The good news is I have multiple collector friends nearby that I might be able to sample the final product on way or another.

If MG runs on something that can be programmed by an outside party, somebody will take it on as a personal project. If the physical is there, the code will we done by somebody.

#2505 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

That's the problem with Jpop games...the physics are askew with MG and Houdini...sure they look pretty but the shot lay out is not correct in the current state of the machines.

Is that JPOP in general? If so, I'd have to disagree. Of all of his games, I have the most time on a TOM. That game shoots amazingly nice. The lock shot is my favorite feeling shot in pinball and the rest of the game flows pretty nicely.

Of course if you are talking MG and H, I completely agree. Not that I've shot either one of course, but they both look like giant cluster f's.

3 weeks later
#2718 7 years ago

All I want to know is if AP will force his Pinside account to go inactive.

2 months later
#3070 7 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

I believe I played every "new" and "newer" game at TPF this year.
BM66
AS
ALIEN
BL
DI
JETSONS
Houdini was the one I was most impressed with. The fact that it was, for all intents and purposes, put together in four months is even more impressive. It was IMHO the most attractive, solidly built, smooth shooting, best sounding, pound for pound champion of the pinball newcomers. If 6.9K is the MSRP, and the "street price" is, as one would expect, lower by a couple hundred; I'd be pooping my pants right now if I was JJP, Stern, Heighway, or Spooky.

This is my exact reaction as well. I was next in line when the left machine took a dump and was taken out of commission. I was bummed, but got in a game the next morning. Interestingly, I had no issues with the tight right shot. The catapult was amazing to see. The layout is completely foreign, but I never felt frustrated.

DI was a great experience as well, but I think H was my #1 from TPF 2017.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 84.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 36.95
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=desertt1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.