(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VacFink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1083 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But the way some people are pushing this after what Jpop did to the community, did to friends of mine? It's really crass. Expo is now supporting it too apparently, which is very disappointing.

Agree, the company is remaining hush hush with just tantalizing hints that there might be closure, but that's really just exploiting the victims to generate fanfare for their very informed bad decision. In spite of knowing what happened, and even seeming taking ownership of some of that fallout, they tease it out as part of a marketing campaign.

#1395 7 years ago

Hate to jump threads but think my point in the expo thread has more merit here so moving it here for larger discussion point. From my post there:

The company is seems to have set a strategy that leverages the high emotion, history, and intensity to promote their entree into the community. They know enough to try to address building the machines, so understand at some level the scope of the problem. Yet, they turn righting that wrong into a spectacle in front of their overall announcement. ????

Instead of treating those people with respect and understanding of the damage done, they appear tantalize with new whiffs of hope which appear very much exactly like previous false hopes. Its wrong in my opinion and seems to stem strongly from the same secretive and rumor driven proclivities JPOP exploited to get his Zidware buyers on the hook already. Its more of the same with a new front in my opinion and those signs show a continued blatant disregard for the impact that has occurred, the strategies employed that magnified it into a very harmful community scar, and that seems to imply with good reason that's getting driven by the same source, JPOP. Its the same and if the company could do it differently its not, why? Maybe because its not a different company, because it looks at lot like a JPOP strategy to a problem JPOP made. I'm just not seeing anything 'new' that sets 'American Pinball' separate from JPOP and all that harm and problem.

I just don't see what about this entire 'roll-out' is different than JPOP's other games. Same secrecy, same confusion, same disdain for real impacts.

I'm honestly disappointed that the current victims are getting roped into further trauma and public exploitation and as I stated in the Expo AP announcement, it should be at expo until the victims are addressed and done so less publicly. Fixing JPOP's wrong should not be an asset to the new company that gets leveraged in my opinion, its ultimately their penance for choosing to hire him and should be handled with respect not celebrated with overt greed at its production of noise and notice in an increasingly crowded market for high end luxury toys.

I think I generally want to forgive and forget, but this company didn't set out to do that. They announced their new game first, setting that as the primary goal, and knowing about the damage and chose to lead with the 'panic/outlash/high activity strategy and so far share just enough info to fan the flames and continue the attention. It doesn't show any sincere signs of regard for the victims which has me wondering is it not really more of the same and from the same source, just a bit more removed...or maybe shielded.

At this point, for me, if this were the best game in the world, I have so little respect for the management of this messaging, it's hard to imagine its redeemable. I wouldn't put my money there on principal. Not all buyers consider that, so can understand the differences. Like I said, I'm prone to turning the other cheek but not seeing any cause or reason to do so yet. Maybe that will change.

If I were them. I'd back out of Expo - adress the JPOP victims, build community respect, and put their new game out on its own merits with a ton of good will. That's not happening and if I had to guess because it JPOP leading the show, setting direction, and nothing at all has changed. I just hope we don't loose more sheep to that wolf.

Consider this, if you were starting a company would you start with a toxic asset and agree to inherit and even resolve it, absorbing it as 'start up' costs? Seems improbable and there's no reasonable logic that makes that a realistic. If you start to ask WHY AP would do this, well the only reason you would, is because you HAVE to, and the only person who does is JPOP, so AP is probably JPOP.

#1519 7 years ago

Interesting to see so many still separating JPOP from American Pinball as if they we're not the same. What is it that makes you believe its not a layer of artifice created by John to protect him from his past and to attempt to restart?

In my opinion, if you look at its parts, how it operates, and break down why anyone would reason that this is a good plan, it isn't. So why do it then? If you think about it its less of a 'risky' move and more of a 'desperate and manipulative move' it makes a lot more sense. I know there's only speculation in both directions, but I'm just not seeing anything that's makes more sense than the opposite of what AP is saying. However reality seems to have bent beyond shape and form before. So I'm asking to see if I'm missing something?

If your on the side of a legit AP what in the evidence that outweighs or explains the lack of logic?

2 months later
#2512 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I've been too busy working on my own game!

Clearly this is Spooky's next contract game with Kia for a Kia Soul Hamster themed game. It was tipped off months ago in the forums under Meatloaf Hampster on BenHeck.com. Even the portal is clearly Hamster shaped. Finally a successor to Bad Catz and Mousin' Around!.

More secrets here on his episode on the Ben Heck Show about how to solder :

at timestamp 9:34m....'cookies' yeah... Clearly its Keebler Elves themed Game or is there some other message....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 84.99
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 119.99
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VacFink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=VacFink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.