(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tigger64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#955 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Are we sure it's not 'THIEVE'?
Love the Bruce Campbell-as-Houdini backglass.

I was also thinking of Kevin Kline.

#1411 7 years ago

Does the license really just say John P .. no full last name?
How unusual is that (under any circumstance) ... it's like they are trying to hide it.

On one hand, putting Jpop as an alternate contact when there are only 3 employees seems normal. But the fact they don't show the last name makes me wonder if the deal includes any equity stake in AP. If so, that's a whole other animal.

#1708 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Therein lies the rub.
It's all moot though. Showing up with non-flipping boxes to expo will be the biggest joke. John has a lot to prove, and we all know how long the road is from playable prototypes to production games in customers' hands. So, for all intents and purposes Houdini might as well be zid4 and John is showing up at expo again with non-playable games and still nothing to deliver for his long suffering patrons.

True. I think it would have been better for AP to lay low until they can show a box that flips and has solid software.

Showing a non-flip game (essentially a box of lights) could be damaging for them in light of Jpop's empty cabinet fiasco.

#1728 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I have a few questions, which Jonathan's podcast and others here may have missed. AP could deliver MG, but not be obligated to do so - it depends on how they set up their deal with Jpop. What's that deal?
Why is AP committing to the MG deliveries? (would they add that liability without getting a future benefit in return)
American Pinball has no legal obligation and no liability to deliver MG, right? (Assuming they didn't buy Zidware, I don't see how they would have any possession of Zidware parts or IOU's to vendors or preorders). Yet they announce they will do MG and they have a relationship with Jpop, the Sunday after their Friday news splash of "here we are" with Houdini.
What do you guys think?

That's along the lines I was thinking.

Kind of wished the podcast had asked why they felt the need to help out on MG.

Jpop's record keeping hasn't been great. I wonder if they know how much he has taken in on RAZA/AIW?

#1846 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

ZY is in the MG/RAZA owners group along with other vendors and everyone was updated just yesterday. Its way too early but things are definitely moving in a positive direction.
Expo seminar for American Pinball is Friday October 14th at 9:00. Both Scott Goldberg & Dhaval Vasani will be speaking. I strongly urge everyone be there to ask probing questions. No grandstanding hopefully but appropriate adult questions followed by listening.

The update... did it come directly from Jpop? Or AP?

That Jpop "Lebowski effect" post reads like he was jealous at how much thunder others had taken from him. How can he take potshots at TBL (the game had ball hangers, you had to hake it and the code crashed and rebooted. But no one cared.) and not compare their reveal to his empty cabinet reveal? It wasn't booze in a private suite that made it better ... the fact something under the glass was flipable was better.

2 months later
#2412 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yeah, let's make this thing!

Nice! "There's always money in the banana stand".

I still think it was crazy for AP to come out too early and make all these flashy announcements. With all the baggage they got, the really needed to be damn sure they were ready to go (ie. whitewood done, successfully tested, and the assembly lining ramping up).

Silence is bad in any circumstance, but with the history Jpop has had, it's even worse for AP.

#2458 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

"And a magic girl for lots of monnneyyyy" fits the cadence of the original song ....
Plus ...
On the 6th day of Christmas, JPOP gave to me ... 6 Starbucks lattes
6 Starbucks lattes
5 pissed off pinheads
4 lame excuses
3 empty cabinets
2 silver balls
And a magic girl for lots of moneyyyyyy
rd

To fit the theme, there shouldn't be anything after the sixth day... just radio silence.

3 weeks later
#2673 7 years ago

From the outside looking in: American Pinball has billed itself as a manufacturer - if any of us has a machine we want put on a line we could work a deal with them. BUT, I gather that the arrangement would include bringing forward a game that is ready to put on the line. That is, I'll do the manufacturing but I'm not going to finish your design and code, and that's where the AP/Jpop arrangement probably fell apart. They've probably been waiting for Jpop to iron out things to make it ready for the line and gave him until the end of 2016.

So it looks like that arrangement is probably dead and MG is in limbo again.

Meanwhile it looks like American Pinball intends to move forward as a company making their own machines - without Jpop. So they should be judged on their own - but they really need to wait until they have something more concrete, and dial down the PR.

#2675 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

AP's facebook post from 1-1-17 specifically talks about MG. Is it really possible for them to move forward without any ties to JPop at all if they are still going to make MG?

That post does deflect back to Zidware. But I think all along they should have made it more clear where that division or responsibility between AP/Zidware (Jpop) is.

1 week later
#2731 7 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

2) Finish what they were contracted to do and deliver MG and move on with their lives without JPOP. The second option would show that they are a true company that stands behind their word and are a company capable of producing a game.

Problem is, are they obligated if Jpop didn't meet the terms of the contract? I assume the terms were:
1) Provide a production ready MG (not 90% complete, with AP to do final coding, design and engineering)
2) Pay for the production of these machines (and I think we all believe that delivering a complete Houdini was that sweat equity)

If MG is still unfinished, there was nothing to put on the line. And now it looks like his Houdini work was deemed unsatisfactory, so there isn't a payment either.

Zidware/Jpop is still ultimately responsible for delivery of MG/RAZA/AIW. I give props to all those who have tried to help get these games made, but Jpop can't dump that responsibility/blame on anyone else.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tigger64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=Tigger64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.