(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from mikepin:

I have been in contact with them a while They will have game at pinball expo Another reason to come

Giving support to Jpop is a reason to stay home and NOT support Chicago Expo.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So how much of the work that John was paid for by his zidware customers end up in this new Houdini game? I can't believe anyone would think this was a great idea.

He clearly scam-talked this new investor into believing pinball is a cash cow. Clearly they'll have no route to production.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The reviews can and will be deleted. The company has not released a product or a service for anyone to review.

I'm not sure a business can delete reviews. Comments sure, but not reviews.

#229 7 years ago

This is an opportunity to give Jpop a new nickname: Screwdini!!!

#280 7 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

If this game is actually made, would it actually sell any? 10, 20, 50, 100?

Who cares, it will never be manufactured.

#301 7 years ago

Ok, great. How about the 125 RAZAs? And Alice?

#550 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

It'd be great if they hooked up with Scott to build some WOOLY's.

It's amazing that you're even giving them the benefit of the doubt that they're even capable of building anything. It's all smoke and mirrors until proven otherwise.

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

No. The evidence was overwhelmingly pointing toward being legit.

"Legit" in the sense that it's a "company". Zero evidence they have pinball manufacturing ability. They've already made one huge mistake aligning themselves with Jpoop...everyone should be extremely skeptical unless proven otherwise. And remember: PROOF. SOMETHING John brushed off for years. Don't let American Pinball ever get away with that. They must offer tangible proof of everything they claim, or it must be assumed to be bullshit.

#738 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

It DOES NOT flip. He said it's gorgeous. Sound like MG?

Sounds like the foam Kiss mock up

#932 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wow wow wow.
You people have the shortest memory of any collective group that I've ever seen. Only in pinball can you watch people be bent over, f---ed until you bleed enough to go to a hospital, then as soon as you're released, line right back up for more.
Unreal.

You can tell a few of the hype-monsters have raging boners for this game already. Look, it's OK to think it looks cool...but REMEMBER REALITY. Remember the Jpop ponzi scheme. Even if you weren't ripped off by Jpop or don't care about those who did, do not PRE-ORDER or give AP a cent unless there is tangible evidence this game PLAYS, plays WELL, can be manufactured well, manufactured soon, and shipped. If anything shitty happens, no one will have any sympathy for those who just jump on this considering the facts.

#1062 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

How exactly does this work? A new company that no one has ever heard of is going to do what? Just build a bunch of Magic Girls on their own dime and give them away to people? What about RAZA and AIW, are they making those too? Is this a giant charity project to give everyone free games all in the name of rescuing Jpop to design Magic Man? That doesn't pass the smell test, but if that's their plan then say so!

Someone brought up the theory that John's "paycheck" for Houdini is getting the games built that he owes people. That would be an interesting arrangement that would benefit both of them....but - is that truly the case? Everything is speculation.

#1533 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have great respect for you Ben but this is one of the issues I have with Aurich. Its unprofessional conduct and it looks petty. Although, he has taken it to the maximum level with all competitors and you have not.

I hope you reconsider.

Ben's been in the trenches w/ Jpop...he of all people can absolutely talk shit about Jpop!!! First hand experience!!!

#1668 7 years ago
Quoted from Nighthawk128:

This has been obvious for years, I don't personally understand why people want Stern games. I've never ever bought a Stern game because they've always been like used Dodges to me. Since this new explosion there is a silver lining that others see but I missed out on the coolaid I guess.

It's a post 2012 phenomenon. Once project classic games started drying up and restored or nice-condition classic games started shooting up in price, lots of people, including new hobbyists turned to NiB games - why spend $5k+ on an old game when you can get a brand new one? When I started collecting, pin collectors hated Stern games or owned them begrudgingly...even if they loved the gameplay of LOTR, they'd always have to throw in complaints about the art, sound, feel, quality, etc compared to B/W games. Today we have collectors and hobbyists who ONLY know buying and owning Stern games.

#1672 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I started out with older games, but I recently started transitioning to more modern Sterns in my collection. I've grown to really appreciate their more complex rulesets.

I've always liked B/W and Stern games...but don't you remember how it was about 10 years ago? If you liked a Stern game, even one designed and programmed by B/W alums, all you would hear from the long-time collectors was what pieces of shit they were. Then, they'd eventually buy a Stern, and enjoy it...but still have to rip on it to retain street cred

1 week later
#2138 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

There's a guy on a stripper pole and all youre worried about is screw and nut

Looks like he's jacking off and pooping simultaneously.

Perfect summary of American Pinball so far, actually.

#2139 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because they are a bunch of greedy newbies with money trying to hop on the gold rush. They have no love for pinball. They have no creativity. They are just trying to milk some cash out of what they have been convinced by jpop is some kind of bubble and gold mine.
It's a cynical enterprise and absolutely the LAST thing pinball needs rignt now. There's no love here just opportunism, and they think they can somehow make it work with jpop when it's clear all he has to offer now is fairy tales and failure.
Good luck.

Seriously, the fucking pros at Stern and JJP can barely get a finished working product out the door in a timely manner....does ANYONE think THESE guys are going to have a smooth ride in pinball manufacturing!?!?!

#2143 7 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Read this, went back and looked at the photo, and I'm crying, laughing out loud right now!

Poodini (resized).jpgPoodini (resized).jpg

#2199 7 years ago

So, it looks like Jpop made his usual rookie mistake with AP, and they fell for it- all the art and pretty stuff before a functioning and playable whitewood. If there had been a whitewood, they could have shown this thing flipping.

I'm calling time of death.

RIP, American Pinball.

#2286 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If I am getting this straight, AP is not zidware, and it is clear they are now trying to make that clear and distance themselves.

It's clear to me that they have NO idea what they got themselves into. They're not pinball people, but John likely spun stories of magic and money to be made...and they fell for it.

Just look how hard it's been for ACTUAL pinball people to get things manufactured and shipped. If American Pinball is truly committed to being a pinball company, I don't think we'll see Houdini shipping for 2 or 3 years. My prediction they have a "what the fuck did we do" meeting, and this whole thing dissolves.

#2290 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

While AP might have been duped they are not completely innocent. They were telling people at Expo Houdini is %100 their game. But then people saw Zidware "Z" cutouts in assemblies and spinner artwork stolen from a Houdini playing card deck.

So, they're either dumb, shady, or both.

Bye AP.

3 weeks later
#2365 7 years ago

They're done. Back to the Jpop lawsuit if anyone wants their shit back...

3 weeks later
#2407 7 years ago

Into the bin with Vonnie D.

3 weeks later
#2566 7 years ago

I wonder why Terry would include their flier with orders. That would kind of piss me off if I saw that in the box.

Until they clarify what their f-ing deal is with Jpop ...they should only be known as IDIOTS and/or fellow scammers.

#2600 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It's no different than when Marco shoves upcoming pinball show flyers in orders.

Sure it is. A flyer for a pinball show is for an event that will in fact happen. It's advertising a "product" that exists. Houdini and American Pinball is a pipedream/scam until proven otherwise.

#2602 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

What? I already put my deposit down on Houdini!

They're taking Invisiglass to the next level! The whole game will be invisible!

#2626 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I honestly don't think it's good for them to say anything until they are ready to ship games. Create the product, market it, ship it. Meanwhile making sure you make all the people that got screwed by Magic Girl whole.

..and RAZA & AIW.

What company would take on the burden of 3 pinball machines just to gain a designer?

None.

That's what American Pinball is. Nothing. Houdini will never ship, no one who is paid up on a Zidware game will ever see it get made from AP.

#2633 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

AP needs to clear the air about jpop.

Whatever they do - please, no one give them a fucking dime until they have a finished, playable, fully coded game with proven quality manufacturing ability. I don't care if they offer a Super Duper Magic Powered Limited Edition. Our community has been taken by too many dreamers/tinkerers/con men.

#2682 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

If Elvira, Aerosmith, and Houdini are topics of conversation at a 2017 pinball show, then we are seriously in need of some fresh ideas and designers in pinball....

I know the "old guy stuff" argument comes up a lot...but lets face it, pinball IS old. Pinball is retro. Retro is in. So combining a retro game with nostalgic retro licenses is a marriage that just works...it makes sense.

Sure, I'd like to see something more contemporary to mix it up...but whenever someone tries a "new" idea like Lexi Lightspeed or Dialed in - it comes off as dated and out of touch. Customers can smell "dated and lame" vs. "dated in a cool way".

#2684 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I disagree. Dialed In IS dated and out of touch.

What do you disagree with? That's exactly what i said.

Quoted from Rarehero:

whenever someone tries a "new" idea like Lexi Lightspeed or Dialed in - it comes off as dated and out of touch.

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Note - Lexi Lightspeed I am not familiar with, so I have no idea...it was at expo, but not working.

It's a great modern concept, but the art direction and animation make it look like it's from the mid 90's.

#2689 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Lexi might look a bit dated having been in dev for what since 2012? But the games for that platform on Lexis heels -- I am betting they look much less "dated". Besides, dated can still be a ton of fun. Dialed in still some sounds like a lot of fun from those that have played. Lexi gets tough love because of the new concept, I think people will come around on it though

No, it looks dated because it looks dated. It's 90's Playstation 1 level polygons and animation without the art direction those games had. It gets tough love because of the art direction. I love the new concept, but the concept is irrelevant if the games don't look contemporary and appealing.

#2693 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Gerry needs a theme that doesn't require graphical prowess.
Maybe some sort of retro 8-bit thing or Tron '82.

Don't need to be retro to look good. Just needs good art direction. I know this is a video game and that's a different world...but look at this new Shantae game that came out. They're using good artwork, with lots of separation of assets, animated in a "Flash" like manner, but VERY well. IMO this is what they need. Character art that looks appealing. Simple 2D art that's art directed and animated well. This doesn't require massive horsepower or a lot of money...just the right crew.

Imagine this type of art direction, lighting, and appealing characters popping up on the P3 screen:

#2696 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, that looks amazing. It's retro, but it's also HD, with excellent animation, proper colouring and clean line work. That level of work would be fantastic on pinball - no need for complex modern 3D console games with realistic graphics and shadings.

Shit, now I'm thinking Shantae would make a great P3 pinball lol....Here's a sweet mermaid boss battle from Shantae. Imagine this mermaid on the playfield, and you have to shoot her locks to release her. How much more appealing would this nice 2D art be to look at vs. crates and swamps and downshots of bad polygon characters. I'd like to see P3 think in those terms vs. the literal top-down perspective because you're looking top-down at a playfield.

#2698 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

It sounds like you should get the p3 dev kit and have at it! I bet you could make a killer game.

When I buy a game, I'm buying it as a customer. I don't like buying a game and then having to make my own game. I got Mario Maker, and it's like a full time job....lol. Nah. If someone makes a sweet game, I'm a paying customer.

#2704 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Love all this talk about the P3 in the Houdini thread.

Well, Houdini will never get made and neither will the Jpop games...might as well talk about something that might make it to market!

Quoted from solarvalue:

There are other P3 games with 2D graphics, such as Cannon Lagoon.

Bad 2D graphics. This thing won't fly until a game has a true top level art director/animation professional. Too bad P3 couldn't attract the great artists that Jpop was able to con into working on his games.

#2707 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I imagine you'd want artists specializing in computer graphics to work on games for the P3. I think Dirty Donny did the artwork for the Aerosmith LCD and that does not look that great either in my opinion

I think some of it is his, some of it is Stern's team. You're right, it's similarly amateurish - that said - it's just the score display...the machine itself looks great, and the game is what's under the glass. That's always P3's challenge - the monitor IS the playfield, and if it doesn't look good, all that great tech is meaningless.

#2713 7 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

From their facebook page ''As promised, MORE exciting news here at American Pinball! Josh Kugler has joined the team as Director of Software Engineering and is hard at work on the official rules and coding of Houdini. Josh has been a pinball enthusiast since he was 9 years old when he built his first pinball machine out of nails and rubber bands. He is known to many in the pinball community as a leader in creating custom pinball machines and has been fortunate enough to feature many machines at Pinball Expo over the last few years. Before deciding to jump into pinball full time, Josh spent the last 15 years with highly successful start-up companies and brings that expertise and entrepreneurial spirit to American Pinball as well as his love of pinball. Please help us welcome Josh!''

Very interesting. Well - I like Josh and have enjoyed playing his custom games. He's smart enough not to get involved with a bunch of maniacs...still, they need to be transparent about the Jpop/MG situation before I can start giving them the benefit of the doubt.

1 month later
#2748 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Someone should correct this posting. It should read New HOUDINI game by American Pinball. JPOP has nothing to do with this game. Interested to see more on this work in progress..

I vote to keep it the way it is until AP proves otherwise.

3 weeks later
#2798 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's like weird 1990s "digitalized" photoshopping.
Them showing closeups is probably not helping, would have been better to wait 2 days and show the entire package.

First thing I thought was 90's Sega Photoshop. I looked up Jeff Busch....he did a bunch of 90's Sega games! Why didn't they stick with the previous artist? He wasn't John...so, should be no "bad blood" there.

#2800 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And Balcer did a bunch of 90s Sega games. They are gettin' the band back together!!!

Well now that Stern has gone full hand-drawn, maybe some potential buyers are feeling nostalgic for Sega lol ...X-Files: $10k by Xmas!!!!

#2802 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The era of stretched typefaces on inserts. Probably my least favourite technique of all time. Respect the type!
Like I said in the other thread, I can wait two days before getting out the torches and pitchforks. Besides, it's not in production yet and perhaps some customer feedback will help, if this is actually the true nature of the work.
Pinball Magic wasn't bad!

It wasn't bad...but it wasn't great...but it's also a game you could buy for $1200 all day long before pinflation, so no one really had much to complain about. I've said it before, but at current NIB prices - standards are high. We're now in the era of Dirty Donnie & Zombie Yeti ....or, if you're going to go the Photoshop route, it's gotta look as nice as Hobbit.

#2805 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The new design better not come with a dmd, or sales won't get off the ground.

Invisible display is a feature of Houdini!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.