(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LyonsRonnie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#342 7 years ago
Quoted from RickThorn:

American-Pinball™ to Launch its First Pinball Machine at the Global Gaming Expo in Las Vegas on September 26th
Chicago, IL – September 26, 2016 - American-Pinball, manufacturer of arcade games and amusements, is excited to announce the world-wide release of Houdini - Master Mystery™ pinball machine for the home, arcades, gaming centers and magic collectors. The unveiling will take place September 26th at the Venetian Las Vegas hotel on the eve of G2E, The Global Gaming Expo.
Based in the mecca of the pinball universe just outside Chicago, Illinois, American Pinball features a team with decades of industry experience and is launching its first pinball machine under the name Houdini for several reasons. Known as a masterful magician and Harry Houdini is considered the greatest magician, conjurer and escape artist that there ever was. Captivating audiences worldwide with his legendary escapes and shows was his specialty, the Houdini™ pinball will carry on that magical tradition as a beautiful crafted pinball machine featuring a one-of-a-kind pinball theater experience with an LCD color screen and patented cabinet.
“Houdini’s escapes, illusions and handcuff challenges are world renowned even today, and formulate the basis of our inventive new pinball machine,” said president of American-Pinball, Dhaval Vasani. “Our Houdini - Master Mystery pinball machine will bring the man back to life with supremely detailed hand-drawn game artwork, inventive ball tricks, brilliantly illuminated play surfaces and spirit devices while featuring all the classic pinball features like: action jet bumpers, multi level ball stages, sculpted magic toys, secret escapes and much more.”
American-Pinball has also added a performance of new Houdini™ features to amaze players including: The Floating Ball, Water Torture Cell, Levitating Bumper, The Bullet Catch, Hindu Needle Trick, Spirit Box, Buried Alive Sarcophagus, Lock Chambers, Magic Beasts, The Séance, Milk Can Escape and Jennie the Vanishing Elephant!
“Houdini - Master Mystery pinball transforms under the hood as well with the newest game motherboards created by award winning Gigabyte Technology to drive all of Houdini’s pinball effects, full color graphics, sounds, gameplay and music,” explained Vasani.

Leave it to Jpop to make me get a sick feeling in my stomach when I hear formerly cool themes like "Magic", "Houdini", or "Alice In Wonderland"

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I just listened to a podcast where the guy was talking to himself as another person? What a freak! Lmfao

There was a guy on the radio 20 years ago every night, that used to do interviews every night, and it was always somebody pretty crazy that he was voicing himself. So every night he'd interview himself as a character, but never told anybody (although you could figure it out if you listened to a couple shows). Anybody remember that guys name?

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder how much the rights to Houdini's likeness cost?

It might be public domain since he passed so long ago, does anybody know how that works? If you think about it, historical figures they use all the time for ads, etc. Abraham Lincoln, etc.

#345 7 years ago

Now we KNOW J Pop's working with them.

"Alright John, now, you know we're a new company, and you've got so much experience in the industry. What do we need to do to get going?"

John - "Well, it's simple. First thing you do is build a few cabinets, slap some vinyl art on the side, then the money starts ROLLING IN. That's basically the plan for the first 3 years"

#598 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Oh right...overlooked that...only 16 mg's
But still questionable, why would they?

If they did... it would be because the game is the closest to finish... so if they're able to make 16 and make those 16 people happy, they can start the preorder money running in again for the next title by promising to finish the zombie game next. Classic Ponzi scheme stuff

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

They are self imposing the deadlines as they see it as key to their success.

If they meet self imposed deadlines they'll be in rare air with Stern, and Spooky.... both companies making a profit.

#856 7 years ago

I love Pinballnews, but this quote just really gets me

" Scott went on to tell me that they had worked together at Zizzle, and he was amazed at how many different ideas John had with. "

Why in the world do people keep worshipping at the alter of Jpop? He came up with some creative stuff, but there are probably a dozen famous designers capable of the same thing, and likely many more sitting at home on the couch.

The first, first rule of inventors is that ideas are a dime a dozen, the hard part is turning an idea into reality and Jpop has proven over and over again that he's incapable of that.

#967 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Do you even know what a fraudulent conveyance is WRT bankruptcy? When SHTF, a judge can claw back (or demand rightful compensation) of any IP that was financed by RAZA investors. The question is whether the RAZA creditors have the resources to push zidware into an involuntary BK.

I dont' know all the legalities, but regardless I think it's suicide if American Pinball doesn't completely make everybody involved with John whole, to use John as a designer on their tables. They have to know this, so they must actually intend to make everyone whole.

I wouldn't have gotten into the shit storm if I were them, but I wish them luck and hope they do well, they've got a tough, tough uphill 'credibility' battle on this, and even if people are made whole they'll still have a bad taste in their mouth that is now intertwined with American Pinball.

#970 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Erich Weiss is Spinning in his Grave at that image of him! He would have hated the hair!!

A massive amount never was burned or destroyed. When Dash died, his widow decided to find a home for
Both collections. I was involved in the beginning transfers, and it was a very massive amount, and I saw only the surface of the collection.

You may know good sir, doesn't David Copperfield own a TON of Houdini props?

#972 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

If it is Trump they would have used the word Billionaire.

... and it'd be done UNDER BUDGET, and AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. And have more tacky, gold block lettering.

#1049 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

indeed, I believe the largest collection as he says!

I had tried several times to see his warehouse collection in Las Vegas. Its quite locked up and difficult,
but failed.

I did get to mess with the Milk can, hand cuffs, and other props at his brothers Estate. David got much of this,
i believe it was after Randi and Vito took the most.
The personal Travel Trunks, were of grand interest to me. Very well made, secret compartments, and my passion for this.

That's very cool that so much of the collection ended up in at least one place, sucks it's private but at least it's together and taken care of instead of scattered around the world.

#1054 7 years ago

You would think a museum in Vegas would be very profitable!

2 weeks later
#2106 7 years ago

What is it with Jpop, and constantly showing off artwork printed on pieces of paper and not applied to a game? He'll probably have whatever poor sap he's got drawing this stuff make another 20 revisions that will be printed out on another 20 pieces of paper between now and whenever this company gets sued out of business.

It's like Groundhog day

#2107 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Did anyone ask them why they are doing this? They could have easily started a new pinball company with no association to JPop, without the stigma, and the cost associated with helping fulfill the JPop orders. What are they getting out of it? Do they feel in the long run JPop designed games will be the difference to make them a ton of money?

That's the question I keep wondering. He's a good designer, but he's not "Here, let me throw money at random people until you're out of bankruptcy' good... and he's got a history of being unable to finish projects.

4 months later
#2759 7 years ago

I like the way these guys operate. They stuck their foot in their mouth with the "MG" thing... went silent for awhile, and then out of nowhere ship the completed game to get out from under it. Now they're a little silent about Houdini, I'd imagine they're going to pop up with a nice playing prototype soon. They seem to be capable of moving faster than most companies, which could be good or bad. Fun to watch, I wish them well!

3 weeks later
#2938 7 years ago

This is nothing short of amazing, really. Fully populated, fully custom playfield with toys everywhere, art created from scratch, full custom ramps from scratch, code from scratch, hardware from scratch... in 4 months.

They ain't playing around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 119.99
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 9.95
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
$ 84.99
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LyonsRonnie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=LyonsRonnie1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.