(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#260 7 years ago

If this is real, we're about to see what the market can really handle... we have Stern going for $broke$ with Batman... JJP3... Alien...and now Houdini?

What happens if this Houdini game does reveal and blows minds?

What happens?

Wow.

Frankly, some of these manufacturers must be nervous. There's no way all of these games will find support from the home/collector market.

I think we're already seeing a slide in pricing and demand for more expensive pins in the secondary market.

Grab your popcorn... this is going to be mighty interesting.

#265 7 years ago

Know what? If this is Kaneda, good one on his part. That would be hysterical (and pretty damn crafty)!

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

If this game is actually made, would it actually sell any? 10, 20, 50, 100?

That's the most interesting thing, here.

If this is a real game... what happens if it's a real player?

I think it would sell. Why not?

Market competition is a really good thing for collectors and players.

#279 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The real-life PR guy failing the fake account gig by posting Facebook photos from his own Facebook feed has been the best part of this entire fiasco.
He tries so hardto make fake accounts, even faking it on his podcast and fails in such an amauter way is comedy gold. It's as bad as the mirror photo fails

I haven't followed it closely... what's the deal on Facebook?

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Stern store.
Houdini.
Y'all are gettin defcon-3 trolled. Say it ain't so Billy.

The Stern Store. LOL.

Too bad he's not behind this whole Super LE submit an application nonsense...

#286 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

He creates fake accounts on here... Rickthorn. Gets called out immediately... Denies it. Even has the fake account calls kaneda names and curses at him (yeah, screw that guy!! Kind of stuff). Even tries to suck himself off with "knows how to write a press release"

No one is buying it. Denies the fake accounts on his podcast (so I'm told). Then the rick fake account posts photos of American pinballs Facebook feed... Forgetting that the web version of Facebook shows your avatar next to the new comment field of posts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tq&tu=Rickthorn#post-3360110
Epic fail completely busting himself. It's all right here in this thread for your train wreck of entertainment. And yet some people still think he is some victim... *smdh*

LOL... geesh... guy certainly has a lot of time on his hands

#327 7 years ago

Is it possible that Kaneada is somehow involved in Magic Girls' rebirth????

I'm really confused. His picture was on the American Pinball site...???

If he is behind its push to delivery, that would be crazy

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from laprocket:

I got a good laugh out of this
(jpop and kaneda) as business partners.

If true, Pinside is going to blow up. Like Flynnbus said... "pure comedy gold"

#454 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

As I already explained in previous posts.
The game concept is real based on a developed design based on my industry contacts.
I was aware of prototyping.
I did not realize that samples had been completed, nor a a plan for an early reveal.
This is not a Kaneda troll post, so I am not sure why people keeping believing it is such only because the original poster is the person people dislike.
I don't like the anyone should have the need to use duplicate accounts, but the information still had value.
In the history of pinball, this is not the first time manufacturers have pulled a "hat trick", nor a surprise at an Expo.
AP is a new player in town that could upset what Stern thought was a industry monopoly for the current Expo.
I welcome the competition, as this will moderate pricing even if only for a short while, especially if the gameplay is solid, regardless of hard feelings towards the designer.
This hobby has a very short memory of the past, that some say is "not relevant", which is false.
If money can be generated, things will progress.

Memory is not so short to remember you disembowling Kaneda here on Pinside only to get right back into bed with him...

The past of this industry is the past... it's a home consumer market. Stern is proving that with their GB playfield "program".... Batman66 available models and pricing... not to mention all of the other manufacturers that are catering to the collector market.

Don't get me wrong, the history of pinball (when relayed and told without constantly pointing out what idiots modern collectors are) is fascinating and fun. But, it's a brand new day now. That's a fact.

#478 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Yes and everybody wants to downvote when they do not want to believe.
I only try to help and educate, and remain impartial towards individuals. I am not a fan of anyone. I don't wish to argue. I am also was not "Dick Thorn" that people here so kindly accused. I did not do the BBB interview for that individual. I did it for many "modern" collectors who asked me to do it. My time is limited.
Some people do not seem to want to understand this straightfoward point.
No agenda, no narcissism, no personal profit.
This applies to this topic regarding AP as well.
People need to stop trying to target people for their frustations, as there is a severe loss of the ability to learn anything productive.

Lol. There's lots of legit podcasts with great reputations... you could create your own podcast... hell, type it out under a thread entitled "Mass Education."

"No personal profit"??? The level of narcissism is over the top.

You're probably a good dude... you obviously want to be heard... you just need to down shift an find other avenues. Another approach. It will work way better for you.

#509 7 years ago

Odd that no one seems to have a clue about #9.

Doubt there's anything there... but with this recent news, I guess anything is possible!

#611 7 years ago

Meanwhile...

We are just receiving early first look photos of Kaneda's "Master."

IMG_8241 (resized).PNGIMG_8241 (resized).PNG

#635 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I has been posted here and in the jpop thread 3 days ago
Post 289 and 290 in this thread

Seriously. Welcome to the party... it ended on Saturday.

#641 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Ok , a little detective work. The A.P. building in Streamwood is the original Aimtron U.S. Headquarters. Aimtron moved to Palatine a few years ago but held on to the Streamwood property. I found a picture from 2010 of the interior of Streamwood, take a good look. The floor, walls, and ventilation all MATCH the pictures of the empty MG cabinets. Cabinets are in Streamwood.

Dude... you get Five Gold Stars.

Nice pick up!

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Okay. He's heading to the reveal right now...

Wait... the game is being revealed tonight?

#683 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Okay. He's heading to the reveal right now...

Is he there?

#758 7 years ago

Ok.

This guy drove all the way to Vegas, saw a box with blinking lights that he wasn't allowed to look in or flip... says it not just "box with blinking lights" and then comes away without addressing:

-where the game is manufactured
-how many will be manufactured
-is it direct or distributor selling model?
-is the price MSRP or street?
- resolution for other zidware customers

Etc...

This is looking like a total PR stunt. Show a box with blinking lights... then make everyone wait a year to a year and a half to see it released.

#840 7 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

I feel the need to chime in. Up to this point I've been munching on the popcorn. I was very excited this morning when my brother texted me that the pinball news article was out and rushed to read it. I couldn't be more disappointed honestly. The hype was this machine was going to be revealed at the G2 event. Instead it is revealed in a hotel room in the same city as the event? What? Then pinball news drives across a desert to take 2 fuzzy photos? Really? I'm so confused here. I don't get it. Since we can't really see the machine we are told it is more than a box of blinking lights but he doesn't explain why we should believe it is more than a box of blinking lights. It doesn't play so that means it is a box of blinking lights, albeit a fancy one. Someone help me understand this please. I have seen nor read anything that makes me think anything remarkable has occurred.

I agree 100%

#843 7 years ago

Should Magic Girl customers take delivery of any game before all Zidware customers are given written promises to be made whole? Clearly the Jpop fallout goes well beyond the MG folks. There are vendors that need to get paid plus other customers promised different titles.

At what point do folks calling for an all-out boycott break ranks and start collecting?

#1016 7 years ago

One thing is for sure... the pricing bar is getting solidified.

You hear a number like $6995...and we're like "OH wow! What a great deal!". Meanwhile, Stern's Batman 66 is priced at nauseating levels (you want to talk about integrity? how about an application process that has people sending in begging videos???) , JJP#3 is certainly going to hit that $8-$9K-ish range. Spooky is quietly raising their price.

This is just getting crazy.

#1043 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

It's too late..the die has been cast. We've paid it, once it's done price very rarely goes down. JJP opened the door and Stern is knocking it off the frame.

This might be (and probably is) true... something is going to give (and soon). I think we are dangerously close to seeing several of these companies fail simply because the collector's market can't sustain 5 or 7 new titles a year at $7K plus. It's not sustainable. That's not to say that pin prices won't remain high...but I don't think all of these companies can co-exist in a market place that has been revived from the dead. It just feels like this is going to cycle backwards as the novelty wears off to less-than-enthusiasts and trends change.

In some ways, I'm not allowing myself to get remotely interested in this pin simply because (1) it represents another high-end entry and my pin funds are pretty much tapped for the year and (2) I have a hard time believing that American Pinball is going to carve its own sustainable niche in this market. I just can't wrap my head around where they'll fit in (and how serviceable their machines will be if they are a flash in the pan).

#1187 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

100% agree. Stern has been making their games cheaper while increasing the price at the same time. As long as you have people that think Stern walks on water and can do no wrong then Stern will continue to stick it to them. Eventually there will be enough people that get tired of being screwed over with mono color DMDs and cheaper cabinets with power switches mounted in the head to save a couple of bucks while paying 7K + for their next pin.

I actually think the tide will finally turn against the high NIB prices because of the secondary market. We're already starting to see it happen.

Of course, there will always be a small segment of collectors that are rich enough to absorb any loss without a thought...but, if you've been watching the market over the last several months, quite a few games that would have flown out of collectors' basements in years past are sitting as their price is repeatedly dropped.

One could argue that folks are simply so enamored by all of the NIB offerings that they are simply ignoring the secondary market as they wait for a particular title to start shipping. One could also argue that the industry has sucked enough coin out of the collectors' market that there just isn't enough available money (potentially physical space?) to pay for what one would assume would be a reasonable price for an older game. That really damages the collector's notion of "paying a high price for NIB is okay because you can always get your money back with relatively little loss."

Unfortunately for Stern, as they attempt to increase profits though jacking prices and controlling the business of their distributors and the mod market...they are also diminishing customer loyalty. That's a big deal in a niche consumer market.

#1189 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is it too premature to start an American Pinball "Where's the Code" thread yet? Even if this game does make production, what are the chances that the code will be anything more than puddle deep?

Aren't all of Jpop's games relatively shallow? Not to say they aren't fun and beautiful...but they haven't exactly delivered with an overall deepness/difficulty level?? ?

#1192 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

when will the high NIB prices price out operators?

Haven't they already?

Honestly... what % of operators are buying $7,000+ machines to put on route? It's gotta be ridiculously low

#1212 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Are price points completely nuts in 2016 when compared to historical prices, even when scaled up for inflation?
You be the judge.
Pinside did a little NIB survey a year ago, and we came up with ($3995-$5995) as the historical range for pinball prices from (1971-2007).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-of-nib-pins-back-in-the-day
$4700 for a NIB is a very good price given historical prices.
I'm not sure what to think of prices $7K and up...
-mof

Addams Family sold (new) for $2095 in 1992... that's $3560 in 2016 dollars. Granted, the market has shrunken...but...you don't really need to know anything else.

#1222 7 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Addams Family came out in 1992.

True... correction made in the inflation post ($3560)

#1225 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Not even Homepin is claiming their Chinese made pins will be any cheaper. I think it's just hella expensive to produce pins these days at the quantities that are sold. If someone could have done it for half the price and make money doing it, it would have been done.

Don't think that price increases have anything to do with overall manufacturing expense.... they will sell to what the market is willing to pay....hence the ever increasing bump-ups in price over the last 2 years.

Just look at Stern's obnoxious pricing on Batman 66. It's obscene...but if people line-up with their wallets open, the price is validated and Stern will continue mining for more. I think the current pricing structure is designed and built by the collecting community. Period.

#1244 7 years ago

Would be f-ing hysterical if Jpop designed Houdini around Kaneda's Pinball Trough.

#1384 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

You're absolutely right of course.
It's just frustrating me that what happened seemed so blatantly criminal and there's no justice. Jpop just sheds his skin and slithers away.

I'm curious... for all of the folks that gave him money, he must have given them legal agreements, correct? There was no game to physically buy... so what did these agreements state?

#1547 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I agree. On one hand it would be nice for the few who ordered a MG to get one and call it done, fulfilling the promise of a super-limited game... on the other hand it would be fantastic to offer them up to anyone else who wants one. The more games out in the wild the better, IMO.

You do that and you're completely devaluing the very product that all those people shoveled over heaps of money for. If you really want the victims to be made whole, then you need to be willing to give them exactly what they bought into: an elitely exclusive game with insanely low production numbers.

Everyone is sending signals that they want to go to bat for those that lost money... then you gotta give them exactly what they gave money for.

#1768 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Well yea, I sure hope no one will give money before a game is actually available from AP. Lesson should have been learned 5x over at this point.

Anyone giving any kind of preorder money to any pinball company has zero room to complain. Checks are sent at your own risk.

1 week later
#1955 7 years ago

If this is all true, good for Jpop. If they deliver, the man might have made mistakes and tried to cover his tracks with deception...but at least he is involved with trying to right the wrongs. Would be a nice end story for everyone that bought in. Everyone gets their stuff and history is righted. That's the way it should work, anyway.

#2014 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

No games. 9 months before Houdini is ready.

Queue the Pac Man dying sound.

9 months???? Have they not been paying attention to the f-ing empty promises of the industry over the last 4 years??? Their reveal a few weeks ago pretty much indicated immediate delivery... no?

#lame

#2052 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why not lie and then severely raise the price, everybody else does it in pinball. Just not the world i live in so i don't get it but whatever.
Hope it works out and see them at next expo?

Fixed that for ya

#2110 7 years ago

If this is an "American Pinball" game... why is the Zidware symbol all over everything????

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 1.16.57 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-10-14 at 1.16.57 PM (resized).png

#2120 7 years ago

Here's the Expo Report Card so far:

Stern Pinball: D-
Jersey Jack Pinball: F+
Heighway Pinball: B
American Pinball: EXPELLED

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 84.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.