(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 74 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 303 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3177 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 64.
#3101 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Not yet convinced how cabinet will look in a line up

Hahaha this should not be in a lineup?!
Silly man..
This is a work of art,meant for your living room.

#3102 2 years ago

I just regret there Is not a word about foreign customers and the way to eventually buy one. Maybe it comes later...

#3103 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I just regret there Is not a word about foreign customers and the way to eventually buy one. Maybe it comes later...

Absolutly !! Big regrets !!

#3104 2 years ago

It seems like the catapult would have to be in perfect working order to launch a ball into the milk can from such a long distance with accuracy. What happens after a little wear and tear on that catapult mech? How will it maintain its accuracy? I already saw issues with the Aerosmith catapult missing the toy chest on location after just a short time, and that shot has a lot more room for error.

#3105 2 years ago

Quoted from lpierrick:

Absolutly !! Big regrets !!

Not sure but I believe rosh said something about AP being more focused on getting the machine ready for TPF. The game certainly isn't ready for production at this point. They haven't even released an official MSRP yet. He even mentioned that they've only talked to a single potential distributor in the US so far. Surely they'll work out the logistics for overseas customers when the time arrives.

#3106 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It seems like the catapult would have to be in perfect working order to launch a ball into the milk can from such a long distance with accuracy. What happens after a little wear and tear on that catapult mech? How will it maintain its accuracy? I already saw issues with the Aerosmith catapult missing the toy chest on location after just a short time, and that shot has a lot more room for error.

Assuming they can auto-adjust coil power based on shot completion.

#3107 2 years ago

Something about Houdini being a pilot would be a nice touch, he did the first powered flight in Australia.

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/houdini_bio.html

#3108 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Something about Houdini being a pilot would be a nice touch, he did the first powered flight in Australia.

There is some info that argues he was second. We have this has part of some "trivia" in attract mode, but you never know"

#3109 2 years ago

As I wrote in novel size post yesterday, which if you missed, go back a page or two and read, we certainly want to make Houdini available outside the US, we are just starting to look at distribution. Obviously some challenges with overseas, that we will have to work through.

#3110 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

They haven't even released an official MSRP yet.

We did announce an introductory price of $6995, but I'm not sure how many units or time that will represent.

#3111 2 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

the LCD physically behind the audience on the backglass so it looks like they're actually watching the screen

It was funny: At the 7PM seminar, Dennis Nordman said that when they were looking at older pitch and bat games for inspiration, one of the things they explicitly decided to avoid was having the "audience on the backglass" that was common on some of those games. Then at the 8PM seminar, AP revealed Houdini with...the audience on the backglass! For the record, I like the look on Houdini, but I thought it was interesting that two seminars in a row would highlight this trope, and with such opposite opinions.

#3112 2 years ago

rosh Thank you for the insightful, thorough post. Your transparency and communication does far more for marketing American Pinball than the formal marketing team could ever do on their own.

Congratulations on achieving what many deemed impossible, and doing it with class and integrity.

Sincerest wishes for wild success in 2017 and beyond!

#3113 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

rosh Thank you for the insightful, thorough post. Your transparency and communication does far more for marketing American Pinball than the formal marketing team could ever do on their own.
Congratulations on achieving what many deemed impossible, and doing it with class and integrity.
Sincerest wishes for wild success in 2017 and beyond!

Yes...whatever the motivations behind this project its nice to know there are some people with a little good old fashioned pinball passion behind it.

#3114 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The ball launches from the milk can to a trunk in the back corner. Its pretty impressive using a much different mech from AS. I never saw it miss the "three point shot" and it seemed very accurate. By contrast, AS missed its granny shot many times in every game I played. Many observers were commenting on how much more accurate Houdini was, but I'm sure it can get out of adjustment just like anything else. Surely there is a way to re-adjust if necessary.

#3115 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Btw, thanks to Chris from kingpin games, who got our machines there for us, and patiently waited while we finished hooking things up and packing them up, etc. As some saw, we used black shrink wrap (no, it was not garbage bags), since we wanted to keep eyes off until the reveal. Was pretty cool, that Houdini traveled to TPF with Spooky's games (Jetsons, Rob Zombie) and JJPs Dialed In (there may have also been BM66), which I guess made that truck the United Nations of pinball. Good thing it got there.

It was an exciting ride

(1) Wizard of Oz - JJP
(1) The Hobbit - JJP
(2) Dialed In! - JJP
(2) Batman 66 - Stern
(2) Houdini - American Pinball
(4) Rob Zombie - Spooky Pinball
(1) America's Most Haunted - Spooky Pinball
(1) Domino's - Spooky Pinball
(2) Jetson's - Spooky Pinball

(2) Dart Boards
(1) Big Buck Hunter Pro
(1) Sports Shooting
(1) Silver Strike Bowling
(1) Pumba Kiddie Ride

Everything made it there and back safe and sound.

#3116 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Everything made ... back

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure some of it was for sale

#3117 2 years ago

If you read the very detailed post by "Rosh" it's stated that a new gun has been hired to head up distribution! Also stated as Houdini is a global brand they wish to do the same with the pin as well!

#3118 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

If you read the very detailed post by "Rosh" it's stated that a new gun has been hired to head up distribution! Also stated as Houdini is a global brand they wish to do the same with the pin as well!

i had quickly read rosh's post but there was nothing about the intention to sell overseas.
he answered me here that he would. Just need to be patient to know how, just in time.
thanks

#3119 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Illuminati Pin would be cool. Think of the possibilities ....
rd

the illuminati would not allow that to happen. People would be disappearing.

#3120 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That would get my attention.

this could be awesome. Imagine having wide open tesla coils zapping your ball anytime it gets near. I think this game would need plastic side rails.

#3121 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

A few quick few answers, I'll read back through tomorrow for ones I may have missed.
We will certainly look at distributors on the other side of the pond. We just hired Jolly, the guy who will handle that, so he will start that process soon.
We will try to to take some good game footage in the next few of weeks. I'll try to some quick snippets of the toys in action sooner.
While not final, currently six speakers in the head, two on the bottom and four at the top, two on each side, one being a tweeter.
I want to thank all of you who came by the booth and played Houdini. Lines where long all day from start to finish and I know some folks never got to play. What amazed me was how many people came back and waited in lines multiple times to get to play it again, and that says a lot.
I really enjoyed talking with so many of you, which is really a big part of these shows. The feedback and reception was tremendous. It has been an amazing, crazy and exhausting four months, but seeing how everyone really enjoyed it makes it worthwhile.
Hopefull what I just wrote was coherent, haven't had more that five hours sleep any night in the last two weeks and last night only three, so a little punchy
I'll check back tomorrow to see what other questions get posted.

Just curious why the curtain moves from left to right on the animations, but the backglass clearly shows a theatrical curtain, which should come down from the top. I know it's petty, but I think the effect would look better and more natural if scores and scenes where interchanged with the curtain moving down and up.

#3122 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Just curious why the curtain moves from left to right on the animations, but the backglass clearly shows a theatrical curtain, which should come down from the top. I know it's petty, but I think the effect would look better and more natural if scores and scenes where interchanged with the curtain moving down and up.

There was some discussion of how the curtain was used earlier in the thread:

Quoted from rosh:

Originally the curtain on the backglass parted in the middle, but we were unable to duplicate that for the actual stage mech in the machine, so we changed it to match the mech. But certainly something we may revisit.
We could not get a chain that had the right look in time, but will be a weathered looking chain.

Brad

#3123 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the illuminati would not allow that to happen. People would be disappearing.

Maybe the game already happened....

#3124 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure some of it was for sale

let me clarify. 3 of the rob zombies were sold by spooky, and i sold the two darts and the big buck pro. the rest of everything made it back safe and sound (all the machines people came to see, Houdini, Jetsons and Dialed In! as they were for playing only and not for sale).

#3125 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Because the backbox shows the curtain stacked on both left & right side... I think it would look very cool, to close them in the center vs. only from the left side.

#3126 2 years ago

Tell me when I can send in my money! I am SO in.

#3127 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this could be awesome. Imagine having wide open tesla coils zapping your ball anytime it gets near.

I don't want anything zapping my balls any time soon.

But yeah it would look cool.

Great post too Rosh. You guys have done an amazing job. We will want some sent here to Australia as well I'm sure of it.

#3128 2 years ago

since I have not seen the presentation posted anywhere, and know so of you were interested, I had my brother throw the ones he shot with his phone up to youtube, not the best quality but for those who really wanted to see it . . . these cover the first 15 minutes or so of it.

#3129 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

We'd love to have you at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show in Seattle in mid-June, it's our 10th show this year, we have a stellar speaker line up, 400+ games, love to debut new machines and we draw about 3,500 people.

I kind of recall some people gave Mike P. crap about inviting these guys to Expo.

#3130 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I kind of recall some people gave Mike P. crap about inviting these guys to Expo.

At the time; they deserved it. They brought a non-flipping diorama to the show and had no plan for execution.
TPF was different; they had a real flipping pinball machine with no signs of JPOP anywhere.
I gave TPF leadership crap for allowing them in and now regret that position.
They really are a different company now - as opposed to Expo.

3 weeks later
#3131 2 years ago

Any idea on a distributor for this around New England?

#3133 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

PinballStar is i believe.

Thanks

1 week later
#3134 2 years ago

Woohoo! One more week and we play Houdini in Allentown!

#3135 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Woohoo! One more week and we play Houdini in Allentown!

I know!! Friends were shooting me vids from TPF, but I can't wait to actually get my hands on one in person and play. That ball launch on the left has to be ridiculous to see in person.

#3136 2 years ago

Announcement :

American Pinball's Houdini will be in the PinballSTAR Amusements booth. We are authorized distributors and taking $ 250 refundable deposits now and at show to get in line for the game. So not only did we make a big effort to get Houdini to Allentown - but we are also having designer Joe Balcer and programmer Josh Kugler at the show in our booth as guests ! Come play the game and discuss it with the two guys who have and will put the finished product together !

If you want to pre-order one email Joe at Sales@PinballSTAR.com.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

1 week later
#3137 2 years ago

At the Allentown, PA Pinfest on Saturday, I was able to snap a few close-up photos of the Houdini prototype playfield, with the glass removed, at the close of the event. The glass is on in the first two photos. The glass is off in the other six photos below.

The Houdini design team stated that they may mute some of the chrome items (e.g. chains) if possible, to better reflect the steampunk vibe.

20170506_172921 (resized).jpg

20170506_172939 (resized).jpg

20170506_201339 (resized).jpg

20170506_201313 (resized).jpg

20170506_201334 (resized).jpg

20170506_201329 (resized).jpg

20170506_201325 (resized).jpg

20170506_201321 (resized).jpg

#3138 2 years ago

Yeah. Definitely less chrome and more brass, gunmetal and raw iron type finishes would look better.

#3139 2 years ago

I dont think any chain/lock/restraint were nickel/chrome plated in his work at the time....

#3140 2 years ago

The plastic ramp looks out of place.

Somebody needs to make a wireform for this game

#3141 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I 2nd that...good call. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the PF.

#3142 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I 2nd that...good call. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the PF.

Playing it yesterday, you don't notice - or at least I didn't. There is so much going on in the playfield; it doesn't seem like it but stuff was popping up left and right I didn't notice. And I watched about 10 people before me play while in line. It's like the stuff is hidden until you need it. Really cool

#3143 2 years ago

Anyone beat my high score at Allentown?

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg

#3144 2 years ago

Wow, talk about a dark horse!

edit: man I love that backglass. I can't believe the depth of the rules, too, looking forward to playing this.

#3145 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Anyone beat my high score at Allentown?

Yes, bjsilverballs did With like 274k

All thanks to the needle mode. I think rosh said he was looking to rebalance how the point escalator worked

#3146 2 years ago

Seems like AP could be a genuine contender to Stern.

#3147 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Playing it yesterday, you don't notice - or at least I didn't. There is so much going on in the playfield; it doesn't seem like it but stuff was popping up left and right I didn't notice. And I watched about 10 people before me play while in line. It's like the stuff is hidden until you need it. Really cool

I played it Friday and didn't notice it at all. But when you are just admiring it yes....I like the idea of the wireform ramp instead. It fits in with what they are doing with the theme of the whole package.

#3148 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Rosh said they are planning on replacing the plastic ramp with a wireform.

#3149 2 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Rosh said they are planning on replacing the plastic ramp with a wireform.

Plus 1000%

That will make a huge difference to the aesthetics on that pin. Houdini is shaping up very nicely!

#3150 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Seems like AP could be a genuine contender to Stern.

Ship 'em and lets see how they hold up... and then see what their second and third title shake out. Then we can talk about market contenders.

The game establishes a great presence for their prototype... especially compared to the recent times of struggling upstarts. But lets go back and see how many big names got into pinball.. and delivered complete games.. only to putter out and pull the eject handle because ultimately their games didn't sway the larger audience ENOUGH to make the effort worthwhile.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 3177 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 64.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside