(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 64.
#1651 7 years ago
Quoted from Shastings:

Well at least he'll know on the 5th time...

He will never misspell it again!

#1652 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

There's not enough margin in underwear. You'll run out of money before you get your first pair prototyped

If you've got to have margarine in your underwear, I hope it's Country Crotch...er...Crock.

#1653 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You wouldn't need a license for a Grover Cleveland pinball either

Now there is an idea...

#1654 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Would be nice if bill clarified if he was transfered the exclusive right and if that included a license back to zidware..

An exclusive license might not have excluded Zidware. Either that or, as you say, it has been sold back to Zidware.

#1655 7 years ago

What time is it? It's time for mrgone' non legal advice.

my advice for today,
Get off of this thread and go play your games.
Play a game or 3 with a friend or family member.

#1656 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

complete lack of precision or important differentiation

Quoted from RobT:

You would have been better off just dismissing my post as being the spelling police, which would have been fair enough, but when you go on to try and hide the fact that you don't know how to spell "judgment" or "judgments" by saying you don't give a #@$% about "typos" when "typing fast and informally" just makes you look silly and lose credibility. You have misspelled the word 4 times in the last week.

Holy @%$# dude did you really just again selectively read stuff to suit your own needs? Did you catch the 'or insignificant spellings' part of my response? I blind type ~70 words a minute... I don't think of letters when I type and often the words are misspelled because I'm not even paying attention and my brain is just on cruise control. Stuff gets misspelled... I don't care. It's pinside; not a publication. Where/were/whatever gets transposed all the time too and its because I DON'T GIVE A FUCK to go back and correct meaningless stuff that doesn't impact the actual message conveyed.

If that gets your panties in a twist... then by all means focus on that and climb up on that high horse making sure you proof everything you post. Some stuff just isn't worth the time.

I'm so happy to know you'll be here making sure every puts in the proper time typing their posts so that we can ensure the important stuff is properly covered.

In hindsight.. its beyond stupid that I'm even bothering to address your post. Grammar/Spelling retorts are about one step removed from " I know you are but what am I ".

Here's a tip... my fingers/brain usually misspell tomorrow too. Letting you know now, so you can prepare yourself for the future! I sure hope this doesn't hurt my future campaign for Rob's favorite poster!

Edit: and finding the spelling with an 'e' is also recognized as a allowed spelling. So I hope you don't pop a nerve when I use theatre either. Working with foreign nationals for the last 20 years has screwed most of my language into a jumble anyway. So you'll just have to judge me for it. I know I don't care.

#1657 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

My first design, titled "The Silver Hammock", blows everyone away.

tumblr_n4ame8puM61qhndw9o1_500.giftumblr_n4ame8puM61qhndw9o1_500.gif

#1658 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

One thing is for sure... the pricing bar is getting solidified.
You hear a number like $6995...and we're like "OH wow! What a great deal!". Meanwhile, Stern's Batman 66 is priced at nauseating levels (you want to talk about integrity? how about an application process that has people sending in begging videos???) , JJP#3 is certainly going to hit that $8-$9K-ish range. Spooky is quietly raising their price.
This is just getting crazy.

Wouldn't it be nice if just one time, a company said "Hey guys, we found a way to do something more cost effectively, and we are able to pass that onto you and provide a better value!" Like I would think the Spike system saves Stern a TON of money by the simple fact that it uses a single, small PCB. Would they ever pass it along?? Oh hell no. Instead it's "upgraded system, gotta charge you more." This hobby grosses me out sometimes. The Stern application thing is really just sad. I bet they've got a bunch with kids begging for their parents to get picked, blah blah. Who at Stern thought that was actually a good idea? "Wanna have people prove their worth to buy one of our games???"

#1659 7 years ago

this topic is weird, some of you seem frustrated and even a little bossy or agressive.

#1660 7 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

this topic is weird, some of you seem frustrated and even a little bossy or agressive.

You must be new here... most other threads are like this too.

#1661 7 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Yeah..weird!

#1662 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You would have been better off just dismissing my post as being the spelling police, which would have been fair enough, but when you go on to try and hide the fact that you don't know how to spell "judgment" or "judgments" by saying you don't give a #@$% about "typos" when "typing fast and informally" just makes you look silly and lose credibility. You have misspelled the word 4 times in the last week.
I had actually bit my tongue 3 times previously. The 4th time was just too much for me to take!

Actually, both are correct.(judgment and judgement)

#1663 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Here's a tip... my fingers/brain usually misspell tomorrow too. Letting you know now, so you can prepare yourself for the future! I

Sorry but that is some funny sh*t right there!
Mike

#1664 7 years ago
Quoted from brettybluevein:

Wouldn't it be nice if just one time, a company said "Hey guys, we found a way to do something more cost effectively, and we are able to pass that onto you and provide a better value!" Like I would think the Spike system saves Stern a TON of money by the simple fact that it uses a single, small PCB. Would they ever pass it along?? Oh hell no. Instead it's "upgraded system, gotta charge you more." This hobby grosses me out sometimes. The Stern application thing is really just sad. I bet they've got a bunch with kids begging for their parents to get picked, blah blah. Who at Stern thought that was actually a good idea? "Wanna have people prove their worth to buy one of our games???"

This has been obvious for years, I don't personally understand why people want Stern games. I've never ever bought a Stern game because they've always been like used Dodges to me. Since this new explosion there is a silver lining that others see but I missed out on the coolaid I guess.

#1665 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Let's say I start a company called "Balls of Steel" to produce pinball-themed underwear. My designs are fabulous and I'm awesome. My first design, titled "The Silver Hammock", blows everyone away. Everyone wants a pair, so I sell preorders to a lucky 100 people. Well, turns out I'm full of shit. I show up at Underwear Expo 2015 with prototype underwear made out of styrofoam, but they aren't wearable yet. Oh well. I run out of money, can't pay my employees, file for bankruptcy and Balls of Steel is dissolved.
Fast forward to Underwear Expo 2017. A new company called American Crotch Covers announces they are making a new underwear designed by me. Looks intriguing, but people are suspicious. But don't worry, ACC decides they will make exactly 100 pair of "The Silver Hammock" to go to original buyers!
Of course this would never happen, but I have questions.
1) After a company is defunct, who owns their intellectual property? Can I just use intellectual property from a failed company at my next job?
2) Can company "A" manufacture something designed by company "B" after its dissolved? Who decides?
3) Can a company legally benefit from using intellectual property of a defunct company? By paying a former employee as a consultant?
Your input will help me devise my next scam, so thanks in advance.

I nominate this as an inductee for Post of the Year, Pinside 2016. This is amazing xD....

#1666 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I had actually bit my tongue 3 times previously. The 4th time was just too much for me to take!

HILL...ARIOUS LMFAO

#1667 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

its beyond stupid that I'm even bothering to address your post.

Finally something we can agree on.

Yet, here you are, writing another Flynnibus novel trying to explain yourself, even when you supposedly

Quoted from flynnibus:

DON'T GIVE A FUCK

#1668 7 years ago
Quoted from Nighthawk128:

This has been obvious for years, I don't personally understand why people want Stern games. I've never ever bought a Stern game because they've always been like used Dodges to me. Since this new explosion there is a silver lining that others see but I missed out on the coolaid I guess.

It's a post 2012 phenomenon. Once project classic games started drying up and restored or nice-condition classic games started shooting up in price, lots of people, including new hobbyists turned to NiB games - why spend $5k+ on an old game when you can get a brand new one? When I started collecting, pin collectors hated Stern games or owned them begrudgingly...even if they loved the gameplay of LOTR, they'd always have to throw in complaints about the art, sound, feel, quality, etc compared to B/W games. Today we have collectors and hobbyists who ONLY know buying and owning Stern games.

#1669 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a post 2012 phenomenon. Once project classic games started drying up and restored or nice-condition classic games started shooting up in price, lots of people, including new hobbyists turned to NiB games - why spend $5k+ on an old game when you can get a brand new one? When I started collecting, pin collectors hated Stern games or owned them begrudgingly...even if they loved the gameplay of LOTR, they'd always have to throw in complaints about the art, sound, feel, quality, etc compared to B/W games. Today we have collectors and hobbyists who ONLY know buying and owning Stern games.

I started out with older games, but I recently started transitioning to more modern Sterns in my collection. I've grown to really appreciate their more complex rulesets.

#1670 7 years ago

And if more complex is better, then obviously even more complex is even more better! Where will it end?

#1671 7 years ago

I personally don't understand people who collect pins these days and don't want any Stern games. I'll play anything, from EM to System 11s to WCS, its all pinball so all good. But having nothing but 20 year old pins in my own collection, would just bore me after awhile. Stern has made some great games over the last few years, and to ignore them because they are "Stern games" is just silly imo.

#1672 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I started out with older games, but I recently started transitioning to more modern Sterns in my collection. I've grown to really appreciate their more complex rulesets.

I've always liked B/W and Stern games...but don't you remember how it was about 10 years ago? If you liked a Stern game, even one designed and programmed by B/W alums, all you would hear from the long-time collectors was what pieces of shit they were. Then, they'd eventually buy a Stern, and enjoy it...but still have to rip on it to retain street cred

#1673 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's where I'm at now. GB will be my first NIB and first Stern. I can certainly appreciate the classics but I feel like I'd be missing out if that was the extent of my collecting.

#1674 7 years ago

Used 80's Dodges?

My wife and I have owned a lot of Dodge's. Every model change of the Durango since it's inception and two recent Chargers. ALL have been great trouble free vehicles. My last car was an Audi A7 but I recently sold it and bought a 2016 Charger Scat Pack. The Audi was a really nice car.....but there is no question the scat pack is more fun to drive.

#1675 7 years ago

So, last year when Brandes, PDXmonkey, APB, me and others threw together MG to get to the NW show, JPop gave me this from his pile of stuff from home, stored in a corner of the warehouse.

Ran across this in my office ... had to share ... too strange for words.

IMG_1526 (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (resized).JPG

#1676 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Ran across this in my office ... had to share ... too strange for words.

Wow, that's the kind of thing that makes no sense at the time, but later... wow.....

#1677 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yet, here you are, writing another Flynnibus novel trying to explain yourself, even when you supposedly

Oh look, another RobT post that adds nothing but noise and BS to the thread. I'm through with your stupid baiting.. pl0nk

#1678 7 years ago

Moved to RobT and flynnibus subforum.

(in other words, please stop!!)

#1679 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Wow, that's the kind of thing that makes no sense at the time, but later... wow.....

And the quotes...
"world famous, self-liberator"
#3. Money for nothing.

#1680 7 years ago

"Introducing a number of Original Problems from his inexhaustible repitiore".

Classic!

#1681 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Moved to RobT and flynnibus subforum.
(in other words, please stop!!)

We do have the rarely used Deathmatch sub forum that self destructs after a bit; that would be fun.

#1682 7 years ago

Deathmatch subforum no longer exists...

#1683 7 years ago

Two things:
A - Decent priced B/W games are harder to come by.
B - Stern has upped their game, and they have pins people actually want to own, primarily because of better software and lightshows.

I used to think of Stern pins like Canadian quarters - annoying, and I didn't want them. But from around 2007/8 until now, they've been putting out more and more pins that I (and others, clearly) want to own. But when you could get a nice one for less than $4k new, and before the Pro/Premium/LE schemes, that made sense. Now with the price essentially doubling for a NIB Premium in 8 years, it's getting harder to recommend a Stern.

#1684 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A - Decent priced B/W games are harder to come by.

True

Quoted from PinMonk:

B - Stern has upped their game

No they haven't

#1685 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So you'll just have to judge me for it.

Just as long as he doesn't judg you for it. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

#1686 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

No they haven't

In design and play.. yes. In materials they've gone the 'cheapo' route. The games tho continue to put out many incredible titles.

#1687 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

In design and play.. yes. In materials they've gone the 'cheapo' route. The games tho continue to put out many incredible titles.

Some. They've also put out some stinkers. And quality? Should we have that convo?

#1688 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The games tho continue to put out many incredible titles.

Technically its not the games themselves that are putting out many incredible titles, its Stern.

And you spell it "though" not "tho".

#1689 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Technically its not the games themselves that are putting out many incredible titles, its Stern.
And you spell it "though" not "tho".

Tho is an acceptable form of though, it's the informal variant.

#1690 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Tho is an acceptable form of though, it's the informal variant.

tongue is in the cheek anything goes texting on a phone

#1691 7 years ago

Damn where is BlackRose when you need him...

#1692 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

tongue is in the cheek anything goes texting on a phone

Except dick pics

#1693 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Some. They've also put out some stinkers. And quality? Should we have that convo?

Their run right now I'd put up against any other similar sequence of games.

Since 2012 we have
AC/DC - A+
Avengers - C
X-Men - C
Tron - A
Metallica - A+
StarTrek - A
Mustang - C+
TWD - A
WWE - D
GoT - A
KISS - B-
GB - A

If over the last 4 years, you are getting not just 'good' games, but great games 7 out of 12.. and really only have one true stinker (WWE)... you're "killing it". Not only that, most of the games in that run have decent variety between each of them.. leading to people buying all of them.

Last 4 years of WMS?
SWEP1 - C
MB - A-
NGG - B-
MM - A+
JY - B-
TOTAN - B
Congo - B-
JB - B-
JM - B-
DH - C+
RFM - B
CC - B-
CP - B
CV - B
NBAFB - C
SS - B+
SC - C
AFM - A+
W?D - B-
I500 - B-
TOM - A

Argue with the ratings all you want.. but even as Gomez would tell you.. WMS would beat the same formula to death which haunts the rules of most of the middle of this pack. The last golden age of WPC is made up of mostly above average games, with the biggest stand-outs being heavy borrowing of the same formula (AFM, MM, SS, MB). They also had their share of commercial flops in there, CV, SC, CP, Congo..

What stands out right now is how deep Stern is making their games while still striking some balance for less intense players by offering complex scoring possibilities while not putting the player on rails. Their current hit/miss ratio is off the charts.

#1694 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's status does not, but I do see now under 'secretary' it mentions involuntary. But how does that change the answers to the poster's questions?
See... you can have an actual contribution to the thread besides 'WRONG!!' - try adding value. He asked specific questions. Maybe you can afford those pinside members some pro bono work..

Quoted from RobT:

If you are going to continue to play a Lawyer on Pinside, you should probably learn how to spell "judgments".

I agree with RobT. As a lawyer, I cringe when I read some of the armchair legal advice posted in these forums, even though well-intentioned. I don't mean to target Flynnibus, who contributes plenty. However, spelling errors such as "judgments" as RobT notes, coupled with omnipresent grammatical errors (such as the misuse of the apostrophe in "its"----- The word is possessive without the apostrophe, just like the personal pronouns "hers," theirs," "yours," and "ours." The word "it's" is the contraction meaning "it is" or "it has.") diminish much of the content of the message.

It can be very difficult for attorneys to offer accurate assessments of legal issues, particularly when important predicate facts are absent from the equation, as is the case with American Pinball. Nevertheless, at least the lawyer has the credentials to conduct a meaningful evaluation of the legal circumstances and implications, even when riddled with poor grammar and/or syntax. I submit that it is folly to rely upon anything less.

Every pinball enthusiast has something valuable to offer in these Pinside threads. There are a lot of smart members on this site. Some are tech gurus. Others possess business savvy. Still others have good old fashioned common sense, which is always worth sharing. Sometimes, the best way to contribute is to ask a question and then remain silent until the experts chime in.

#1695 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Used 80's Dodges?
My wife and I have owned a lot of Dodge's. Every model change of the Durango since it's inception and two recent Chargers. ALL have been great trouble free vehicles. My last car was an Audi A7 but I recently sold it and bought a 2016 Charger Scat Pack. The Audi was a really nice car.....but there is no question the scat pack is more fun to drive.

You act surprised at the dig towards 80s Dodges but then reply with examples of good Dodges that weren't from the 80s.

Dodge (or Chrysler) had a bad rep in the 80s mainly for the government loan they received. Also their styling is pure cheese. But they did have some popular cars like the K cars and the Caravan. In fact just looking at pics of them makes me want one for the cheese.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1696 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

True

No they haven't

Your opinion is duly noted.

#1697 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Their run right now I'd put up against any other similar sequence of games.
Since 2012 we have
AC/DC - A+
Avengers - C
X-Men - C
Tron - A
Metallica - A+
StarTrek - A
Mustang - C+
TWD - A
WWE - D
GoT - A
KISS - B-
GB - A

Plus games like KISS (and Ghostbusters, which I would call a solid B, maybe B+ software currently) still have a chance of moving up in the rankings with code updates. Metallica was nowhere near A+ at release or even the first year to 18 months. Code updates made it shine. Bally/Williams aren't getting code updates unless it's something like that Data Easy hobbyist, CCR, or BoP 2.0, which are few and far between.

#1698 7 years ago

Tron was in 2011, so you also have to include that stinker TF which gets a D

TWDLE, GBLE and Ac/dc are as good as it gets imo. Others would throw Met, Tron, ST and GOT in there. Not too shabby.

Before that:

Rolling Stones
Iron Man
BBH
NBA
CSI
BDK
IJ
Shrek
WOF

#1699 7 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Sometimes, the best way to contribute is to ask a question and then remain silent until the experts chime in.

There certainly is no shortage of experts on Pinside.

- Thumbs up on your comment BTW.

#1700 7 years ago

05140e6e5d26a9eabd3a7dbfadc63509 (resized).jpg05140e6e5d26a9eabd3a7dbfadc63509 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
$ 36.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 119.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.