(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 64.
#901 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Why would there not be support here?
AP has dug the JPOP shit storm out of the ashes, resurrected what was thought long gone forever, and has said that they will honor all MG orders. Why would you not at least support that and give them the benefit of the doubt. What is there left to lose? Who knows how far away it is from happening? Let's give them a shot to make it right. If it turns out they can't produce ... nothing lost at this point except for hope.
Nobody shit on Bill when he tried to make it right, why all the crap slug at AP?

AP has dug nothing.. Talk is cheap. I don't think giving them "a shot to make it right" is anything other than another stalling obfuscation of the continuing con.

#902 7 years ago

Zidware is bust and gone.... in business you can buy the assets another company that is in debt, bankrupt, etc .... without taking over any of their debt, money, or products owed. AP could have went this route very easily.

But zidware isn't bankrupt.. they have liabilities and fiduciary duty to repay those debts. They can license or sell their assets, but must do so in a way that represents the company's and their debtitor's interests. They can't just give away their assets to another company and say "see, look, we have nothing.. now go away". The JPOP saga isn't over, even if American Pinball does well on their own. The interaction between zidware and them would be scrutinized even if AP doesn't directly assume zidware's liabilities. Companies in debt or bankruptcy can't simply give their assets away to friends to protect them from being seized to cover their liabilities.

#903 7 years ago

Before laying an money down you will want to do more than just shoot a few shots. I think opening the hood to see what the new company will be supporting is in order also. While the appearance of a new pin out of the blue has created shock and awe this company is talking about throwing a lot of money around and can go under.

If your distributors didn't know about this game what are the sales and support model?

#904 7 years ago

I wonder if they contracted with Jim (Applejuice) to continue his work on programming? If they don't have a dedicated programmer I can't see this getting released for at least 6-9 months.

#905 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

If this game is legit, plays well and is not vapor ware, they will sell a shit ton at $7k.

Forgot coded well too. This game is nothing without code, animations, mechanics, a manufacturing line, after-sale support, and most of all: restitution for burned AIW, RAZA, and MG customers.

#906 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Keep the pair!!!!

No, dump TOM and replace with PM

#907 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

MG was also $16k
I could find no IP owner for Houdini. Meaning they might not have had to pay for it

90 years since his death. No image rights anywhere, even the US.

#908 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Talk is cheap.

Yea but that fully assembled game wasn't cheap.

#909 7 years ago

Man, this looks really really good! Cant believe this was held under wraps. We seem to know everything everyone else does months to years before, but they kept the lid nice and tight. If it flips well and has good rules, i have to say i am in.

#910 7 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

If it flips well and has good rules, i have to say i am in.

Like... send money now?
(Where is Teekee, by the way?)

#911 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yea but that fully assembled game wasn't cheap.

I highly doubt it's "fully assembled".

#912 7 years ago

Why would you not at least support that and give them the benefit of the doubt.

I know hope springs eternal but to me, any company that would get into bed with JPOP after the ineptitude and deceit he showed on the MG and RAZA projects loses the benefit of the doubt.

#913 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Houdini looks a lot like Bruce Campbell.

Edit: I just saw where Blackjacker already mentioned this!

I see Wolverine.

#914 7 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Man, this looks really really good! Cant believe this was held under wraps. We seem to know everything everyone else does months to years before, but they kept the lid nice and tight. If it flips well and has good rules, i have to say i am in.

You'd buy from Hitler if he built something that looked decent.

#915 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I highly doubt you ever have any clue at all whats going on.

#916 7 years ago

Wow wow wow.

You people have the shortest memory of any collective group that I've ever seen. Only in pinball can you watch people be bent over, f---ed until you bleed enough to go to a hospital, then as soon as you're released, line right back up for more.

Unreal.

#917 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Gold wing has somewhat of the same type of ramp.

In for a GWr!!

#918 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You'd buy from Hitler if he built something that looked decent.

Volkswagons?

#919 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

MG was also $16k
I could find no IP owner for Houdini. Meaning they might not have had to pay for it

This site says there is no Houdini estate, for whatever that is worth in fact.
See last faq:
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/p/faqs.html

"Does anyone own Houdini's name and likeness?
No, there is no formal Houdini Estate."

#920 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Forgot coded well too. This game is nothing without code, animations, mechanics, a manufacturing line, after-sale support, and most of all: restitution for burned AIW, RAZA, and MG customers.

Yeah well I was just capturing things in a nutshell; hence my comment not vaporware.

#921 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

See last faq:

Wow, someone really dropped the ball on some decent money there.

I remember reading that Houdini left a lot of his magic props to his brother, and in his will stated that they must be destroyed upon his death. His brother sold it all off instead and much of it burned later in a fire.

#923 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Do you even know what a fraudulent conveyance is WRT bankruptcy? When SHTF, a judge can claw back (or demand rightful compensation) of any IP that was financed by RAZA investors. The question is whether the RAZA creditors have the resources to push zidware into an involuntary BK.

Yes, from what I understand Fraudulent Conveyance is a transfer of money or property to avoid debt. I think in this case any transfer seems to be done to provide buyers with what they purchased and not to delay or hinder payment of goods. But if you like lawsuits, go into a long costly legal battle with hopes of recovering something from JPOP. And when you win, you still have to try and collect. Or give AP a chance to make someone else's mess right and give you the machine you at one time wanted. I don't really care either way, I'm gonna wait and see what AP does. So far, looks like they have made some decent progress.

#924 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

It wasn't foamcore

#925 7 years ago

How can a game look so far along and not flip?

#926 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

It wasn't foamcore

If it doesn't flip, it's fake. I don't care how pretty it is.

#927 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wow wow wow.
You people have the shortest memory of any collective group that I've ever seen. Only in pinball can you watch people be bent over, f---ed until you bleed enough to go to a hospital, then as soon as you're released, line right back up for more.
Unreal.

Nobody is saying that we should go out and buy it. What I'm seeing is people saying proceed with caution AFTER the MG, RAZA and AIW folks are taken care of. I see a community coming together.

Quoted from rubberducks:

90 years since his death. No image rights anywhere, even the US.

Quoted from DCFAN:

See last faq:

Yeah if the above is true, which I personally think it is based on my research too, the Houdini name is fair game.

#928 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Well if JPOP is behind it........ We all know he loves to do things ass-backwards.

#929 7 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

We all know he loves to do things ass-backwards.

I knew a girl like that once!

#930 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I knew a girl like that once!

PM me her number

#931 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

It probably "flips" but is not complete. Anyone remember the first WOZ reveal?

#932 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wow wow wow.
Unreal.

You can tell a few of the hype-monsters have raging boners for this game already. Look, it's OK to think it looks cool...but REMEMBER REALITY. Remember the Jpop ponzi scheme. Even if you weren't ripped off by Jpop or don't care about those who did, do not PRE-ORDER or give AP a cent unless there is tangible evidence this game PLAYS, plays WELL, can be manufactured well, manufactured soon, and shipped. If anything shitty happens, no one will have any sympathy for those who just jump on this considering the facts.

#933 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

It's this kind of wishful thinking that demonstrates a total disconnect from reality by the victims of this ongoing confidence game.
If AP ships 25 MG's by the end of this year, I will eat my hat.

It is so sad that people really don't change. The nice people stay nice, the optimist stay positive thinking, the dumb stay dumb and the crooks stay in business. Zero chance you will eat your hat. I'll do one better and eat soiled under ware.
so many red flags still make you hopeful, kind, wishful and delusional.
Bill ownes rights now to the Magic Girl IP?? if yes and they did not contact him that picture of some 16 cabinets is just like if Kevin showed 16 Preditor cabinets. AP is basically saying let's just put ourselves wide open to lawsuits!
John is as well, and I think it shows enough additional intention to defraud that it will be much easier way to put him away!
Seeing how the Justice system seems to be totally failing.

I could be wrong but do not think this thing right from the start was ever published as a risk, a venture, a gamble, an investment.

I am starting not to want those people whole. I am just wanting JPop to get what he deserves.

folks seem to be keeping the doors opened for these shenanigans.

Blinky lights in a pretty box?? Where is the soundtrack, sound effects, rules, parts suppliers, warranty (oh this should be good).

Come on people really

Hotel room reveal wtf

#936 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

It probably does.. but may have fatal mechanical issues not sorted, or they simply don't want the thing breaking down. Or the software is so crude you don't want to expose that yet.

Plenty of plausible legit reasons to keep people off of it... just none of them really awe inspiring.

Arugably if they were working on MG first... could be reason for Houdini to be further behind in development. But plenty of reasons to still be cautious about their final output

#937 7 years ago

I think WhoDini is also available.

300x300 (resized).jpg300x300 (resized).jpg

#938 7 years ago

I'm buying this game!!!

#939 7 years ago

Welcome to the party! You're about 135 posts late.

#940 7 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Welcome to the party! You're about 135 posts too late.

Oh... Working lol

#941 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

It probably "flips" but is not complete. Anyone remember the first WOZ reveal?

yeah, it worked, had decent code, flipped and shots were makable.

Flippers were a little weak and unbeknowst to all there were light board issues to be fixed. All in all, pretty minor issues. Comparing jpop to JJP reveal is pretty silly (but expected for you I guess?)

#942 7 years ago

I wrote that $$ off a long time ago

If they can make it work out for everybody that's great

Still there are too many other good options out there for me

I'm sticking to Stern and JJP for now because as hard as it is to produce a pinball machine it appears it's even harder to properly code it and make it great.

$7k? No I'd take a Stern premium all day every day

Still I'm interested to see how this plays out

#943 7 years ago

Erich Weiss is Spinning in his Grave at that image of him! He would have hated the hair!!

Quoted from radium:

Wow, someone really dropped the ball on some decent money there.
I remember reading that Houdini left a lot of his magic props to his brother, and in his will stated that they must be destroyed upon his death. His brother sold it all off instead and much of it burned later in a fire.

A massive amount never was burned or destroyed. When Dash died, his widow decided to find a home for
Both collections. I was involved in the beginning transfers, and it was a very massive amount, and I saw only the surface of the collection.

#944 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Remember the Jpop ponzi scheme. Even if you weren't ripped off by Jpop or don't care about those who did, do not PRE-ORDER or give AP a cent unless there is tangible evidence this game PLAYS, plays WELL, can be manufactured well, manufactured soon, and shipped. If anything shitty happens, no one will have any sympathy for those who just jump on this considering the facts.

Gotcha. But I like the pretty lights and I just know it's going to be the bestest ever. Where do I pre-order so I don't miss out?

#945 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

It's this kind of wishful thinking that demonstrates a total disconnect from reality by the victims of this ongoing confidence game.
If AP ships 25 MG's by the end of this year, I will eat my hat.

Pics of said hat, just in case.

#946 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Like... send money now?
(Where is Teekee, by the way?)

If it works...maybe.

BUT i think AP is not foolish and knows that JP lets many unfortunate pinball fellows angry.
So i can't imagine AP asking money If they are not ready to ship.

This is the best opportunity for those who were stolen to get their money back, whatever they order or not this pin, whatever the agreement it could be concluded between JP and AP. JP gets this opportunity, repairing his mistakes. I don't know If the case is in justice but it is better to sue a person that has money than none.

#947 7 years ago

I'd buy one when its ready to ship. No pre ordering for me.. If it's limited run, I'll buy someone and pay the mark up for my risk of waiting. Hope they succeed, hope mg gets shipped

#948 7 years ago

.....and if done right by those made wrong, and its been vested, and its available and ready, Id buy, after playing, and code, and bugs worked out.....

Its a theme I would have never imagined being made, but I think Ive read every book ever written about him, and he was one of my childhood idols, as a young Magician.

I sucked at it, but good memories.

A pin with this theme, has a good chance of long term success.

#950 7 years ago

Nice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 84.99
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.