(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 64.
#851 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I understand that AP doesn't owe us anything but to find levels of support in the pin community for things as they appear is truly disheartening to me and others who lost. It's easy for others with hindsight to say we took a risk and lost.

Are you a part of the private disgruntled owners group or the lawsuit? Contact me with proof of your Jpop participation if so.

Don't know where we'll end up but shit is happening.

#852 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

He may not be a shill but any pinball news service that reports on this is doing a disservice by not looking at the total picture of Jpop's fiasco. His comment is that they will be heroes if AP makes games for MG owners is poor journalism to say the least.

2 comments:
1. The first AP article definitely looks at the history of MG and other games.
2. The reveal article is not written by Martin, only published on his website.

#853 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

People are fed up with the ridiculous pricing strategy of the established producers - in any other market competition leads to lower prices, in pinball it seems to be the other way around.

Well, shit, if people would stop flocking to throw their money at every new pinball game that was even spoken with one single breath, MAYBE lower prices would happen. There's about as much self-control here as a cop in doughnut factory. Someone even just whispers "Star W..."

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#855 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

At what point do folks calling for an all-out boycott break ranks and start collecting?

I am going to go out on a limb and say immediately.

#856 7 years ago

I love Pinballnews, but this quote just really gets me

" Scott went on to tell me that they had worked together at Zizzle, and he was amazed at how many different ideas John had with. "

Why in the world do people keep worshipping at the alter of Jpop? He came up with some creative stuff, but there are probably a dozen famous designers capable of the same thing, and likely many more sitting at home on the couch.

The first, first rule of inventors is that ideas are a dime a dozen, the hard part is turning an idea into reality and Jpop has proven over and over again that he's incapable of that.

#857 7 years ago

Anyone in Vegas with access to the G2E show mind swinging by Gigabyte booth 4105.

It is at the show and available for viewing.

#858 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Should Magic Girl customers take delivery of any game before all Zidware customers are given written promises to be made whole?

MG customers should take anything they can get at this point. The camaraderie here is impressive, but this isn't the Titanic.. it's just investments in a failed company. Happens all the time in business. It's unlikely everyone will be made whole, but hopefully all will get some kind of game or discount if AP is successful.

#860 7 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#861 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I understand that AP doesn't owe us anything but to find levels of support in the pin community for things as they appear is truly disheartening to me and others who lost. It's easy for others with hindsight to say we took a risk and lost.

But.. that's exactly what happened. You took a risk and lost. I'm sorry it happened to you and the others, but it's just business. Anytime you spend money on something that does not yet exist, you're taking a risk. I took a risk with Gene and BBB and it paid off, but I was fully prepared to lose the cash had his project failed. It sounds like some JPOP investors did not realize they were taking a risk, but this is basic business that transcends pinball: paying now for something to be made later is risky. Magic Girl games, Stern code, penny stocks w potential profits... all the same...

#862 7 years ago

#864 7 years ago

14494691_1319501131408062_5937743291399215096_n-1 (resized).jpg14494691_1319501131408062_5937743291399215096_n-1 (resized).jpg

14502717_1319501161408059_8681814998721787670_n (resized).jpg14502717_1319501161408059_8681814998721787670_n (resized).jpg

14440771_1319501138074728_1412938910670500914_n (resized).jpg14440771_1319501138074728_1412938910670500914_n (resized).jpg

#865 7 years ago

Um, well that was unexpected. I was thinking this would be some incomplete thing. That looks pretty finished and polished

#866 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Um, well that was unexpected. I was thinking this would be some incomplete thing. That looks pretty finished and polished

But john builds things backwards. Desgin & Art first - then "oh wait, this doesn't work mechanically".

#867 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Until people are playing the game, this was the state of Magic Girl. John was always able to obfuscate the state of the game with much of the artwork and shiny lights.

I WILL BE THRILLED if they pull this off... but I've seen this movie before.

#868 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

But john builds things backwards. Desgin & Art first - then "oh wait, this doesn't work mechanically".

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!!

#869 7 years ago

Any chance this song will make an appearance on this machine?

#870 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

But.. that's exactly what happened. You took a risk and lost. I'm sorry it happened to you and the others, but it's just business. Anytime you spend money on something that does not yet exist, you're taking a risk. I took a risk with Gene and BBB and it paid off, but I was fully prepared to lose the cash had his project failed. It sounds like some JPOP investors did not realize they were taking a risk, but this is basic business that transcends pinball: paying now for something to be made later is risky. Magic Girl games, Stern code, penny stocks w potential profits... all the same...

So it's just business that a another company comes in and takes what our money created? I know I took a risk and lost. This situation as it appears is bullshit unless we get some level of restitution.

Jpop didn't declare bankruptcy and AP didn't buy the failed company assets which would go to creditors. (Pennies on the dollar at best but not nothing). It appears Jpop just gave them stuff or how else do they have the game that they are showing. And, yes, I'll believe that until proven that nothing he developed using our money is in that pin.

#871 7 years ago

Looks like John finally cut a piece of glass to fit the cabinet... that old picture on the blogs astounded me.

#872 7 years ago

4 pictures and 2 of them show the LCD. And the LCD just show the title screen. Physically far along but what about the code (oh no I didn't just say that did I )

#873 7 years ago

Which is better, scotch tape or a glue stick ( to keep rule cards from sliding off)

#874 7 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

So American Pinball is going to have the game "at the Global Gaming Expo" (G2E).......even though they are not an exhibitor and wont be at G2E according to G2E's site........

eat_my_hat (resized).jpgeat_my_hat (resized).jpg

#875 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Until people are playing the game, this was the state of Magic Girl. John was always able to obfuscate the state of the game with much of the artwork and shiny lights.

I would hope a major company dumping money into a project wouldn't put full trust into John, but stranger things have happened.

Now that we have good photos, anyone notice that they put the text "BELIEVE" upside down on the top of the backbox so that it reflects on the mirrored ball?

believe (resized).jpgbelieve (resized).jpg

I'm mostly curious how obscured the right half of the screen is going to be with that tall building sitting in front of it

blocked_lcd (resized).jpgblocked_lcd (resized).jpg

#876 7 years ago

One week ago this game didn't exist in our minds.

#877 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Now that we have good photos, anyone notice that they put the text "BELIEVE" upside down on the top of the backbox so that it reflects on the mirrored ball?

Yep. Stole that from Tommy.

#878 7 years ago

The art is nicely done...the colors are less purple than the old Jpop. There is an mech on top of the ramp that looks like it may swing down for a shot. Damn I hope this game comes true, everyone else will have to follow suit and raise their game.

#879 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

So it's just business that a another company comes in and takes what our money created? I know I took a risk and lost. This situation as it appears is bullshit unless we get some level of restitution.
Jpop didn't declare bankruptcy and AP didn't buy the failed company assets which would go to creditors. (Pennies on the dollar at best but not nothing). It appears Jpop just gave them stuff or how else do they have the game that they are showing. And, yes, I'll believe that until proven that nothing he developed using our money is in that pin.

Yes, that's how it legally works in the business world. AP has done nothing wrong. They legally owe pre-order customers nothing, so it's some super goodwill that they are trying to make good on pre-orders.

#880 7 years ago

Right now Stern is laughing. If AP makes Zidware customers and vendors whole and gets this to even a decent playing machine...those laughs will dissipate quickly.

#881 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Are we sure it's not 'THIEVE'?

Love the Bruce Campbell-as-Houdini backglass.

#882 7 years ago

Nice box.
But integration of video assets to JJP standards costs serious money...

#883 7 years ago

has jpop written all over it. Curvy ramps, re-use of features from previous games e.g. those bullseye targets look like the target with magnetic grab from TOM, raising pop bumper like in CV, full size backglass with no speaker panel, even the overall art style and colors are smilier to his other machines.

Also this looking like it is somewhat complete, sheds no light on what their version of MG will look like and how complete that is.

#884 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm mostly curious how obscured the right half of the screen is going to be with that tall building sitting in front of it

I could be mistaken, but I think that's the Chinese water torture box. And yes, it does appear to block a significant portion of the screen.

#885 7 years ago

All bullshit aside, that looks like a nice game. I hope AP pulls through with everyone burned by MG.

#886 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Yes, that's how it legally works in the business world. AP has done nothing wrong. They legally owe pre-order customers nothing, so it's some super goodwill that they are trying to make good on pre-orders.

#887 7 years ago

If this game is legit, plays well and is not vapor ware, they will sell a shit ton at $7k.

#888 7 years ago

So I'm assuming they paid for the license, then?

I liked the MG art better.

#889 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I could be mistaken, but I think that's the Chinese water torture box.

Knowing john, he probably wants actual water to be used in that toy, but I assume someone at AP knows that mixing water and pinball machines is a bad idea -- but then again, maybe not.

Quoted from gweempose:

block a significant portion of the screen.

While the idea of the screen in that positions has merit, the big downside has always been that it limits what you can do in front of it, unless you are just going to block the screen. Just because a ramp is clear, does not mean you can see through it clearly to see the display. I guess john designs his games for tall people only . . .

#890 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

So I'm assuming they paid for the license, then?

I liked the MG art better.

MG was also $16k

I could find no IP owner for Houdini. Meaning they might not have had to pay for it

#891 7 years ago

The reality is that Jpop probably built this game while being financed by the Zidware customers, most of which were not in on MG, so while I appreciate the apparent beauty of the table I find the whole project to be sadly tainted by an egotistical child that left a deep scar on the hobby.

#892 7 years ago

This has to be one of the best kept secrets in pinball.

#893 7 years ago

As a former magician and owner of TOM.......if this is legit I may finally sell my TOM to upgrade to this.....very compelling design.....

#894 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

If this game is legit, plays well and is not vapor ware, they will sell a shit ton at $7k.

Also cheaper than a B/W remake

#895 7 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Well, OK, if that's how the business world works...maybe it's legal but it smells really bad. What I originally said was disheartening isn't that AP is doing what they are doing but that there seems to be decent support for it here.
But you know what, anything is a long way from truly happening. So let's see how it plays out and what kind of standards people here end up showing.

Why would there not be support here?
AP has dug the JPOP shit storm out of the ashes, resurrected what was thought long gone forever, and has said that they will honor all MG orders. Why would you not at least support that and give them the benefit of the doubt. What is there left to lose? Who knows how far away it is from happening? Let's give them a shot to make it right. If it turns out they can't produce ... nothing lost at this point except for hope.
Nobody shit on Bill when he tried to make it right, why all the crap slug at AP?

#896 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I would probably want to play one first. If it shoots great count me in!

#897 7 years ago

Houdini looks a lot like Bruce Campbell.

Houdini crop (resized).jpgHoudini crop (resized).jpg
bruce-campbell (resized).pngbruce-campbell (resized).png

Edit: I just saw where Blackjacker already mentioned this!

#898 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Do you even know what a fraudulent conveyance is WRT bankruptcy? When SHTF, a judge can claw back (or demand rightful compensation) of any IP that was financed by RAZA investors. The question is whether the RAZA creditors have the resources to push zidware into an involuntary BK.

#899 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

As a former magician and owner of TOM.......if this is legit I may finally sell my TOM to upgrade to this.....very compelling design.....

Keep the pair!!!!

#900 7 years ago

I wonder how many of those who put down deposits on other machines would prefer they focus on perfecting a single game, with that being the compensation. Sure they won't be as rare, but would you rather have a mediocre rare game or a completely polished semi-rare game? With more of these boutique games being produced, it seems to lesson the perceived rareness of each, IMHO. I'll use the sports cards analogy. In the 80s they might have made 100,000 copies of 1 card. Now they make 100 copies of 1,000 different cards. Sure each different card is more rare, but there are still the same number of cards. It's basically an artificially created rarity. I guess in both cases, it's all about how the hobbyists respond. Anyway, there are still a lot of "if's" remaining. I'm holding out some hope, but want to keep a spotlight on things to make whole those who have lost and prevent anyone else from losing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.