501C9C9C-8493-4920-B6CA-E14EAB8D24E5 (resized).jpeg
hondo (resized).jpg
tenor (9).gif
disappoint (resized).png
tenor-2 (resized).png
chefkiss.gif
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-05 a las 21.43.20 (resized).png
517C61AF-6315-4EFE-A04B-00A05C666DB7 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,446 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 69.
#251 3 years ago

Pat is god status for pinball design. I like Eric and I think he’s talented but Kaneda sounds like an idiot when he says he’s the best designer in pinball and the guy has one game. It’s actually embarrassing.

Eric might very well be the best but with only one game, it’s WAY too early to say that just like it was WAY to early to hype the SHIT out of Wonka. And we all know how much crow he ate after that. K means well - just gets ahead of himself.

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The spinning disc mech was a loud mess.
Pat had nothing to do with it's removal.
This was a huge disappoint for Eric. He wanted more than anything to get it right. Sadly, time and money wasn't on his side.

Have you heard it?

I know Yelobird has one of the original designed games.

#253 3 years ago

I think the spinning disc mech has been overplayed. The triple disc was awesome looking, not doubt. I think the single spinning disc works very well and accomplishes the intended randomness with varying speed and direction.

The confusing one to me is the open/close chest. People are able to make their own mod for under $100, that one wasn't rocket science.

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Pat is god status for pinball design.

We live in a "what have you done lately world" and Pat hasn't done anything people are goo goo over in 20 years. (Maybe Wonka but most are bitching bout that and Dialed In has pretty much been deemed as JJP's flop thus far)

Quoted from delt31:

I like Eric and I think he’s talented but Kaneda sounds like an idiot when he says he’s the best designer in pinball and the guy has one game. It’s actually embarrassing.

Eric might very well be the best but with only one game, it’s WAY too early to say that just like it was WAY to early to hype the SHIT out of Wonka. And we all know how much crow he ate after that. K means well - just gets ahead of himself.

I agree with ya here but Eric coming out with a hit with his first machine is great. That means he's, what, 4 behind Pat with 30 years to go?

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Have you heard it?
I know Yelobird has one of the original designed games.

Yes.
Had the extreme pleasure of working on one of the prototype's when it came through southern Ca. Spent several days on it at Banning museum. Was on phone with Eric personally with the mech in my hand. To many details to share. I will say i talked at length and detail just on the nylon bearings on the under side of mech.
The darn thing was never going to work long term.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Pat is god status for pinball design. I like Eric and I think he’s talented but Kaneda sounds like an idiot when he says he’s the best designer in pinball and the guy has one game. It’s actually embarrassing.

I listened to that today, and chuckled to myself. I appreciate his enthusiasm, and enjoy feeling the hype from his podcast, but it is indeed just that, hype. I like Chris/Kaneda, but he has to wittingly say things for the hype, especially when he contradicts himself from week to week, or year to year.

That said, I'd say maybe only if Elwin worked at JJP, could anyone else match what Eric did with Pirates. There's no game that is as ambitious as what he did with that game, in the modern era. It's the only game that echoes back to wacko things like Creature From the Black Lagoon, which could NEVER be made today. Playing that recently...digitally...and that game is mind blowing in how much shit is going into it design wise.

I don't have much of a doubt, that if JJP allows Eric to do what he is capable of, that he'll be cemented top tier modern designer. Him and Elwin seem to be on a different level presently. Even though I don't own or revel completely in Maiden and JP2, I can still see and appreciate that he's looking at design elements that others just aren't capable of baking into their work.

#257 3 years ago

....and love Pat or loathe him, those two upper flippers in Wonka. Holy. Shit. The shots that can come from those two upper flippers, are the most fun I've had with two upper flippers in a modern game. They have so much use, so much fluidity, and have as much purpose and fun as the two lower flippers. How many games can you say that about???

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

....and love Pat or loathe him, those two upper flippers in Wonka. Holy. Shit. The shots that can come from those two upper flippers, are the most fun I've had with two upper flippers in a modern game. They have so much use, so much fluidity, and have as much purpose and fun as the two lower flippers. How many games can you say that about???

This^. Theme and code aside, Wonka is a spectacularly great shooting game.

#259 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Without real evidence, you really shouldn't continue to spread a rumour that attacks Pat Lawlor's credibility. He's one of the gods of pinball design and would have no reason to be jealous of anyone. He created TZ and TAF ffs.

Seriously? What does the fact that he made TZ and TAF have anything to do with if he experiences the human emotion of jealously? I have no idea if the rumor is true and never stated it as fact. I'm apparently not nearly as in love with him enough though to believe that being a "pinball god" (whatever that even means) makes him impervious to basic human emotions.

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from jhoward1082:

Seriously? What does the fact that he made TZ and TAF have anything to do with if he experiences the human emotion of jealously? I have no idea if the rumor is true and never stated it as fact. I'm apparently not nearly as in love with him enough though to believe that being a "pinball god" (whatever that even means) makes him impervious to basic human emotions.

I don’t get caught up in the kaneda pinball drama of people and how they’re being treated. Who knows what’s true and honestly who the F cares. This is a pinball forum, not a day time soap.

I judge lawlor on what I know and that’s the pinballs my hands actually play not the drama I’m being told about 4th hand. Do you know why? B/c I know that to be the truth b/c I’m the judge - not a 4th handed story.

Based on that alone, Lawlor absolutely kills it for my taste and I’ve classified him as a pinball god. ES, WW, TAF, TZ, DI - list goes on and on. Eric has one really really good game. I like him a lot too but just b/c the newest thing in the market is doing well doesn’t mean I classify him as the best.

It’s that type of mentality that had Kaneda on his ass after blowing out Wonka. Keep it real.

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don’t get caught up in the kaneda pinball drama of people and how they’re being treated. Who knows what’s true and honestly who the F cares. This is a pinball forum, not a day time soap.
I judge lawlor on what I know and that’s the pinballs my hands actually play not the drama I’m being told about 4th hand. Do you know why? B/c I know that to be the truth b/c I’m the judge - not a 4th handed story.
Based on that alone, Lawlor absolutely kills it for my taste and I’ve classified him as a pinball god. ES, WW, TAF, TZ, DI - list goes on and on. Eric has one really really good game. I like him a lot too but just b/c the newest thing in the market is doing well doesn’t mean I classify him as the best.
It’s that type of mentality that had Kaneda on his ass after blowing out Wonka. Keep it real.

Hey that's cool, we all have our own tastes. Having owned both of Lawlor's JJP pins, for myself, I'd take Eric's game or any of Keith Elwin's games any day of the week but that's just me.

#262 3 years ago
Quoted from jhoward1082:

Hey that's cool, we all have our own tastes. Having owned both of Lawlor's JJP pins, for myself, I'd take Eric's game or any of Keith Elwin's games any day of the week but that's just me.

I like all the JJP pins. However, my second favorite of all of them is the hobbit. Guess my first?

Hint: the designer has an E in his first name

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

Direct from JJP, referring to their teaser: "If you think wifi is innovation...hold on to your hats!" So...maybe it's not wifi connectivity?

Carefully chosen words....no chance that the ICONIC SLASH TOP-HAT could act as a ball lock....

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Pat is god status for pinball design. I like Eric and I think he’s talented but Kaneda sounds like an idiot when he says he’s the best designer in pinball and the guy has one game.

Three games. But only one is released. We'll see the second next week.

Then we see if jjPotC was a fluke and he has a sophomore slump, or if he's the real deal.

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Three games. But only one is released. We'll see the second next week.
Then we see if jjPotC was a fluke and he has a sophomore slump, or if he's the real deal.

Hey, did Kaneda tell you Erics game is being shown next week or what?

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

Hey, did Kaneda tell you Erics game is being shown next week or what?

Knowing @vireland. That would be "or what".

LTG : )

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Knowing vireland. That would be "or what".

The old “I know a guy”

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Knowing vireland. That would be "or what".

Definitely. I don't have the patience to listen to the poor production values of 90% of the pinball podcasts out there, and the blathering in need of a serious edit on the other 9.5% turn me off, too. It's EXTREMELY rare that I listen to even part of a podcast. The only Kaneda one I even sought out was the Franchi interview (that was Kaneda, right?) and even then I just hopped through that segment skipping the filler, and that's it.

#269 3 years ago

So is Pat Lawlor evil now, or not? XD

#270 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

So is Pat Lawlor evil now, or not? XD

If you're in the JJPOTC cult then yes.

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If you're in the JJPOTC cult then yes.

Admit it...your just pissed you don't own one...

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Admit it...your just pissed you don't own one...

No I dont have any room at the moment.
I would absolutely like to put some time on it.
I played it at the VFW showcase (believe it was the 3 wheeled version) a little and at Marvin's a little as well. Marvin's version was pretty shitty quality route wise already, so I'd like to get on a nice working one.

#273 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

We live in a "what have you done lately world" and Pat hasn't done anything people are goo goo over in 20 years. (Maybe Wonka but most are bitching bout that and Dialed In has pretty much been deemed as JJP's flop thus far)

I can not see anything in Wonka that's better than Dialed In and Wonka has done nothing with a great theme behind it 250 people own it on pinside less than half the number that own DI.

If Diald In was released 7 years ago before any LCD pin it would have been thought of as much more innovative, but since it wasn't the first color changing inserts to LDC, hologram pin It might be thought of as nothing new.

Plus (I think the there is fine) but some people hate the theme so it might be battling that perception in the ratings but as a design layout it's great.

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can not see anything in Wonka that's better than Dialed In and Wonka has done nothing with a great theme behind it (it's a sales flop) 250 people own it on pinside less than half the number that own DI.
If Diald In was released 7 years ago before any LCD pin it would have been thought of as much more innovative, but since it wasn't the first color changing inserts to LDC, hologram pin It might be thought of as nothing new.
Plus (I think the there is fine) but some people hate the theme so it might be battling that perception in the ratings but as a design layout it's great.

If DI was a 90's game with a similar run-size, nice examples would be ~$20K today. Given what games like TOM go for, DI is a no brainer at the current prices.

I own a DI, the theme is fine. I think Wonka is more of a shooters game (there are more/harder shots). DI is a good game to get lost in the flow, and the modes are challenging enough (but still doable enough) it keeps the game moving. And the multiballs are chaotic enough they don't overstay their welcome.

I think it is hard to go wrong with any JJP game; Hobbit does not do a lot for me, but even I was temped to pick one up when a local one came up for sale. That being said, I would have rather had a Wonka, or Eric's next game even

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think it is hard to go wrong with any JJP game; Hobbit does not do a lot for me, but even I was temped to pick one up when a local one came up for sale. That being said, I would have rather had a Wonka, or Eric's next game even

If you fully understand the Hobbit rule set, then just pass on it if it didn't grab you.

But if you're still fuzzy on the details, get one. I didn't really care for Hobbit when playing earlier code and when I was just shooting it without clearly understanding the rules/progression. I bought one during the epidemic and assumed I'd get rid of it soon, but I freaking love it. While Wonka and DI feel very similar (and good), Hobbit is quite unique.

#276 3 years ago

I seriously love our hobbit but I can see how some don’t and that’s ok. The great thing about jjp games is the vast variety and different feel of each one, allowing many people to find one that they like. Can’t wait to see the next couple jjp games!!!

#277 3 years ago

So......
Still nuthin.
Huh.

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I want a fully animatronic robot Axle Rose to rise out of the playfield, lip sync to the music, and even point and wink at the player.... dammit.

Skinny Axl, not present, right?

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Skinny Axl, not present, right?

Not sure...is the game a wide body

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I seriously love our hobbit but I can see how some don’t and that’s ok. The great thing about jjp games is the vast variety and different feel of each one, allowing many people to find one that they like. Can’t wait to see the next couple jjp games!!!

The coders try to make each game different on purpose. I like the Hobbit code as well. The multipliers make the strategy more interesting. Wonka only has bonuses for Wonka bars. That's it. But each game has some interesting stuff in it.

#281 3 years ago

Cmon somebody knows something,spill the beans already

#282 3 years ago

Tomorrow is Monday, first of the month... would be a great time to deliver the goods. Building hype then leaving folks hanging for days isn't the best way to build momentum...

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Tomorrow is Monday, first of the month... would be a great time to deliver the goods. Building hype then leaving folks hanging for days isn't the best way to build momentum...

With Axl's rep showing up VERY late for concerts, it's a GnR move though. On brand.

#284 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Cmon somebody knows something,

#285 3 years ago

https://www.gunsnroses.com/tour#13
With the whole tour postponed.
Would be a great to time to release this.

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

If you fully understand the Hobbit rule set, then just pass on it if it didn't grab you.
But if you're still fuzzy on the details, get one. I didn't really care for Hobbit when playing earlier code and when I was just shooting it without clearly understanding the rules/progression. I bought one during the epidemic and assumed I'd get rid of it soon, but I freaking love it. While Wonka and DI feel very similar (and good), Hobbit is quite unique.

Hobbit is my favorite JJP that I own. If I had to keep only one game it would be Hobbit.

#287 3 years ago

Alright Schultsey

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Alright Schultsey

Ok while that was meant to be a bit funny LTG Does kind of resemble him just a bit..... lol

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I agree with you on pats design and unique pins.. my wife and my self seem to always want to play wonka and dialed-in from the line up we own, I also played hes other games they are always difficult and addicting. I wouldn’t own a wonka and a dialed-in with a 2 pin collection but it’s dammm nice having both. pat the God lawer HAaaaa. Erick hit a homerun with pirates so my faith is strong with him until other wise, but has a long way to go to be in Pats level.

#290 3 years ago

Hey Jack, your captive audience is becoming uncaptivated!(I make up words sometimes)

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Hey Jack, your captive audience is becoming uncaptivated!

Isnt that the truth.

Them: "The greatest thing to ever happen to pinball is coming soon!"

Us: "Are you gonna tell us about it?"

Them: "... I dunno"

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Isnt that the truth.

Feels like an attempt to steal some of Stern's new release thunder may end up stealing some of their own.

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Isnt that the truth.

Lol. JJP needs to announce whatever they are going to announce and soon after putting out that teaser. If you put out that type of teaser announcement then something else needs to follow within a week, not weeks or months, otherwise the hype quickly wears off.

I'm hoping that the big announcement is online player profiles, online tournaments, leaderboards, etc for all JJP games where results / stats can be viewed on a mobile app. That would be huge.

#294 3 years ago

I'm itching for a new game big time. I was hoping to order a GnR at TPF, had the money ready. Stuff like this pisses me off, might just buy a TMNT and get a 2nd hand GnR down the road. The whole idea of a teaser to an announcement pisses me off really. Isn't the announcement the teaser to a product? Why do we need another one? No substance or value whatsoever.

#295 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol. JJP needs to announce whatever they are going to announce and soon after putting out that teaser. If you put out that type of teaser announcement then something else needs to follow within a week, not weeks or months, otherwise the hype quickly wears off.
I'm hoping that the big announcement is online player profiles, online tournaments, leaderboards, etc for all JJP games where results / stats can be viewed on a mobile app. That would be huge.

Would agree We want to see/here something but for me the limited options out there and for most minimized irrational spending budget they still have my attention. JJP and Eric are something I’m willing to bet on and even wait for if necessary. Yes I want it Now like most but I would prefer they unveil when They are confident in all the details of execution (sale). A half year (or year in POTC case) of photo judging rarely leads to positive sales results. Really high hopes on Eric and team on this title.

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From being a beta tester for their internet updates, I am pretty sure the innovation announcement has nothing to do with the internet. It is likely the next pin reveal, or some new gizmo or gadget in the next pin. Especially when Eric was the one that said something like if you think internet updates is innovation, hold on to your hats. I am just speculating with the rest of you.

#297 3 years ago

They need to show something!We all know it’s GnR,so just show a short isolated (if you want)video of the cool innovative mechanic

#298 3 years ago

This reminds me of when either starwars or a marvel movie put out a movie trailer announcing when the official trailer was going to be shown at the theater. At least they gave us a date.

#299 3 years ago

#300 3 years ago

It’s going to be tough deciding between my favorite franchise tmnt vs my favorite band gnr made by my favorite pinball company. Wish I could get both, but literally nothing I want to sell either to make room. First world problems during a global pandemic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,400 (OBO)
$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,000.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 3,446 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 69.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jjp-game-announcement-coming-soon/page/6?hl=beebl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.