501C9C9C-8493-4920-B6CA-E14EAB8D24E5 (resized).jpeg
hondo (resized).jpg
tenor (9).gif
disappoint (resized).png
tenor-2 (resized).png
chefkiss.gif
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-05 a las 21.43.20 (resized).png
517C61AF-6315-4EFE-A04B-00A05C666DB7 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,446 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 69.
#701 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

In your view, what would be a pin in which the formula of the movie script was used?
What do you actually mean “formula of the movie script”?
It would seem to me, if a pin tries to follow the plot of a movie it will be very linear indeed.

I mean have some actual flow to the elements of the theme, rather than putting them in a dice cup and dumping them out on the playfield and connecting them with random tasks. For instance, in the movie, each kid had a unique journey and side story on finding their golden ticket and also had their own unique experience within the factory. Each golden ticket could have been associated with one of the five kids and the modes, multiballs, and tasks associated with each ticket, could have focused on elements of that kid’s experience finding their ticket and their experience in the factory. That would give a framework and “formula” to put the movie scenes and callouts into context, without them seeming random and like a slot machine. Then you could have sound in the movie clips, since they would match what you were playing for at the time they were shown. Theme integration like that would have led to better mechs as well, such as a pipe ball lock, Eggdicator, or gum dispenser, rather than just a spinning gobstopper.

But instead the kids were tied into one sideshow multiball associated with the same golden ticket. Then some generic gobstopper jackpots for another ticket, and the one random gumball ticket that you just get out of thin air after playing long enough. It’s just so random that I can see why people complain about the monotony of the callouts and random showing of movie scenes with no sound. There is no framework to guide the callouts and movie scenes so they can’t polish the code to make it better.

It’s not a bad game as it is, if you don’t think about the movie, but it could have been so much better that I don’t want to own it. Those that do like it, probably don’t have an attachment to the movie like some of us do, is my guess.

#702 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

I mean have some actual flow to the elements of the theme, rather than putting them in a dice cup and dumping them out on the playfield and connecting them with random tasks. For instance, in the movie, each kid had a unique journey and side story on finding their golden ticket and also had their own unique experience within the factory. Each golden ticket could have been associated with one of the five kids and the modes, multiballs, and tasks associated with each ticket, could have focused on elements of that kid’s experience finding their ticket and their experience in the factory. That would give a framework and “formula” to put the movie scenes and callouts into context, without them seeming random and like a slot machine. Then you could have sound in the movie clips, since they would match what you were playing for at the time they were shown. Theme integration like that would have led to better mechs as well, such as a pipe ball lock, Eggdicator, or gum dispenser, rather than just a spinning gobstopper.
But instead the kids were tied into one sideshow multiball associated with the same golden ticket. Then some generic gobstopper jackpots for another ticket, and the one random gumball ticket that you just get out of thin air after playing long enough. It’s just so random that I can see why people complain about the monotony of the callouts and random showing of movie scenes with no sound. There is no framework to guide the callouts and movie scenes so they can’t polish the code to make it better.
It’s not a bad game as it is, if you don’t think about the movie, but it could have been so much better that I don’t want to own it. Those that do like it, probably don’t have an attachment to the movie like some of us do, is my guess.

Sounds interesting but as I understand your suggestion following the movie from the beginning as a crappy player (me) I would never even get past the gate to enter the factory.

#703 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sounds interesting but as I understand your suggestion following the movie from the beginning as a crappy player (me) I would never even get past the gate to enter the factory.

Dude isn't saying that. He's saying the gameplay should be cohesive to the film's story, not random as it is. Meaning the code should be based around 'events', not linear as you are suggesting.

For example, the chocolate room in the movie. That is a classic scene from beginning to end. Starting with the exploration of candy garden, then the river, Augustus getting sucked up the pipe. Heck if you are successful even end that with a multi ball to coincide with umpa lumpa song victory lap. The wizard modes should have been based around the film's crescendos.

Instead the code team decided to do something different, meaning flip the above formula on its head and have nothing connect, just have golden tickets to collect, collective kid MB, etc. Brave decision, an following the formula that JJP try something different code wise for every game.

Also think the comment about connection to the movie is right. If you have a strong nostalgic connection the code just feels like an affront. In a parallel universe the code was something more structured and David Thiel stayed onboard to rock the sound. What could have been...

#704 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

For instance, in the movie, each kid had a unique journey and side story on finding their golden ticket and also had their own unique experience within the factory. Each golden ticket could have been associated with one of the five kids and the modes, multiballs, and tasks associated with each ticket, could have focused on elements of that kid’s experience finding their ticket and their experience in the factory.

I also think you make some very good points. Each kid had a different path for getting his golden ticket and each kid had both his own and the group experience in the factory. Indeed, it would make much more sense in terms of the story that the player has to collect all the golden tickets before starting the factory tour. So ideally there would be modes for each of the kids somehow for getting the golden tickets and modes for their experiences and fates once in the factory. And other modes covering their group experiences.

Having to collect all the golden tickets before starting the factory mode would, however, make the game much more linear. I think one of the great features of this game is that it is not linear at all, you are stacking stuff all the time, and each game can be so different because you are starting with different things.

Ah, the decisions and compromises the design team make... I would certainly hesitate to second guess any design teams choices, but I do agree, a lot of licence theme games seem to use a bit of the nomenclature, a bit of the imagery, a bit of the storyline, a bit of the music and sounds, then throw it all into the blender with the result that the game presents a hodgepodge of aspects of the chosen theme without really being coherent.

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

All good points, but I will tell you I am a huge fan of the movie. Probably top 5 family films in our household and we love the game. It keeps you coming back for more. I’m also not sure I want a game that takes you linearly through a plot as I am an average player at best and I would probably never see large portions of the movie. The game covers the main themes of the movie in my opinion, but I could always nitpick. Where’s the grandpa Joe jumping out of bed scene for example.

#706 3 years ago

It’s been more than a month now since the teaser video. Where’s the beef?

#707 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

All good points, but I will tell you I am a huge fan of the movie. Probably top 5 family films in our household and we love the game. It keeps you coming back for more. I’m also not sure I want a game that takes you linearly through a plot as I am an average player at best and I would probably never see large portions of the movie. The game covers the main themes of the movie in my opinion, but I could always nitpick. Where’s the grandpa Joe jumping out of bed scene for example.

Some are misunderstanding me on the linear aspect. Each of the golden tickets would be structured like the 5 movies in POTC so you could play any of them and stack the multiballs etc. I’m just saying that each ticket could have modes and multiballs that correspond to each kid to give a variety of experiences and a framework to make the callouts and movie scenes more cohesive.

However, you are correct that the game is not bad as is. I enjoy playing it once in awhile on location but it doesn’t give me any connection to the film or that, “have to have it” feeling. I still feel a little letdown. The good news is that JJP makes plenty of other amazing games that I will collect up over time.

#708 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Some are misunderstanding me on the linear aspect. Each of the golden tickets would be structured like the 5 movies in POTC so you could play any of them and stack the multiballs etc. I’m just saying that each ticket could have modes and multiballs that correspond to each kid to give a variety of experiences and a framework to make the callouts and movie scenes more cohesive.
However, you are correct that the game is not bad as is. I enjoy playing it once in awhile on location but it doesn’t give me any connection to the film or that, “have to have it” feeling. I still feel a little letdown. The good news is that JJP makes plenty of other amazing games that I will collect up over time.

I like the way the game shoots, but code is tough. It’s not at all intuitive what to shoot for, not clear how to collect golden tickets or start some modes. Could have been a lot better, like you said, more like potc. I’ve had the game about a year, still haven’t fully figured it out.

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

I agree that it “coulda been done better”, but honestly I love the way the game plays (the flow is insanely good), the numerous call outs from the different characters from the movie (there must be ~10 different actors’ voices in the game from the movie—how many modern games can say that?), and there are a ton of video clips (most of which are not synced—but SOME ARE). I actually like the 5 golden tickets to get to the final Pure Imagination wizard mode. It makes sense in a pinball game. Wonkas office is great too.

The biggest complaint is that the toys lack imagination. For a theme like this I expected more. But am I going to trash the game when it’s still REALLY FUN and it DOES draw me into the movie with all the other positive aspects? Hell no.

And if you ask people who have spent significant time playing it with the updated codes (the call outs & video were much improved since the reveal, contrary to popular belief), you find that the vast majority agree with my take.

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I think JJP is waiting for the day Stern's next game is released.

#711 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

one of my favourites commercials those days..

#712 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Yes, there's no need to be linear at all. Each kid represents their own progression through the game/story, which is entirely separate from the other kids. This would have been an easier, more coherent structure than whatever jumble exists codewise in this game.

I've played it countless times, amazing to shoot, but code is so baffling in design and structure that comprehending it is far more difficult than it needed to be.

#713 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm just dead chuffed that Pat's preference for standard width pins won out and Eric can't do another widebody masterpiece with GnR. That's two terrible things Pat's influenced at JJP.
Remember how proud JJP was to point out that WoZ was the same dimensions as TZ way back when WoZ was in development?
"Oh, by the way.......the Wizard of Oz is a Wide Body Game! It is the same dimensionally as a Twilight Zone."
WoZ and jjPotC are better than anything Pat's put out with JJP so far. What do they have in common? Widebodies...and not Pat's rehashed, repurposed low-imagination stuff just recycled from his old pins.

Im not as versed in pinball as you and most, but wouldnt a wide body slow down a pin, like GnR, that should play fast and loud? It works for other "slower" based themes. IMO

#714 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Im not as versed in pinball as you and most, but wouldnt a wide body slow down a pin...

Not really no.

EDIT: Or to put it another way, imagine Metalica Had an extra shooter lane on the right side to auto fire balls in during MB & an extra orbit on the left betwixt the fuel and left orbit. Wouldn;t necessarily make it any slower. If you pull a hobbit and make a totally wide open PF with nothing in it....than yeah that is the probable outcome.

#715 3 years ago

Another teaser video today..
Come on JJP! Enough of the hype. Show us something already

#716 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not really no.
EDIT: Or to put it another way, imagine Metalica Had an extra shooter lane on the right side to auto fire balls in during MB & an extra orbit on the left betwixt the fuel and left orbit. Wouldn;t necessarily make it any slower. If you pull a hobbit and make a totally wide open PF with nothing in it....than yeah that is the probable outcome.

Ah yes, that makes total sense! Thanks!

#717 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

...If you pull a hobbit and make a totally wide open PF with nothing in it...

Exactly
Hahaha
Cracking me up again Law!

#718 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Im not as versed in pinball as you and most, but wouldnt a wide body slow down a pin, like GnR, that should play fast and loud? It works for other "slower" based themes. IMO

If it does, it's poorly designed. Widebodies just allow more toys, interactions, and action. In the hands of a good designer, it can be great.

Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones, WoZ, and jjPotC are all widebodies and all have great action and toys. ST:TNG is a little slower, but still great.

Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Popeye, and Roadshow are B/W widebody clunkers IMO. All the Data Waste and SEGA widebodies are clunkers. Go back to the solid state era pre-dmd and almost all the widebodies are slow clunkers by today's standards (though all the Ataris sucked, even back in the day).

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

ST:TNG is a little slower, but still great.
Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Popeye, and Roadshow are B/W widebody clunkers IMO. All the Data Waste and SEGA widebodies are clunkers. Go back to the solid state era pre-dmd and almost all the widebodies are slow clunkers by today's standards (though all the Ataris sucked, even back in the day).

Do you mean slow when set up slow? All my games are max steepness, and STTNG is faster playing than TZ. Demo man is crazy fast and not a clunker. They just didn't code the tough shots on the left of the pf well. A cranked up Hobbit can play surprisingly well.

#720 3 years ago

what is the teaser on? you tube or facebook?

#721 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Another teaser video today..
Come on JJP! Enough of the hype. Show us something already

I haven't seen a new teaser video. Where did you find this?

#722 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

. All the Data Waste and SEGA widebodies are clunkers

What wide bodies did Sega and DE produce?

#723 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

GNfR, WWF, Batman forever

#724 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Baywatch

#726 3 years ago

Baywatch is a standard. Or miraculously my standard size glass fits.

#727 3 years ago

Guess I hadn't spent a lot of time on Batwatch as I thought. Sure has quite a bit on the playfield.

Thanks for the correction.

#728 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Guns n Roses, Batman Forever, WWF Royal Rumble (worse than Sterns, if you can imagine it).

#729 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

GNfR, WWF, Batman forever

Maverick started out wide, then diet to regular.
Love to see pictures of the original wide.

#730 3 years ago
Quoted from HomerEBW:

I haven't seen a new teaser video. Where did you find this?

It was on social media yesterday. Can't remember if it was IG or FB. It was the same teaser video as before

#731 3 years ago

Wonka owner..... One of the best shooters, code is the let down just bc it's so damn confusing.... One of the best use of the backbox screens though...highly underrated.. Theme is what keeps it around but it might be swapped once GnR comes out

#732 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wonka owner..... One of the best shooters, code is the let down just bc it's so damn confusing.... One of the best use of the backbox screens though...highly underrated.. Theme is what keeps it around but it might be swapped once GnR comes out

Have you watched my tutorial video on YouTube? Like many JJPs, it's not that confusing once you get it - it's a bunch of simple things all stitched together with some strategy.

#733 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Have you watched my tutorial video on YouTube? Like many JJPs, it's not that confusing once you get it - it's a bunch of simple things all stitched together with some strategy.

I haven’t, but would like to...link?

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I haven’t, but would like to...link?

#735 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I have - it's very helpful and as an owner I now understand it but it's a mess for any new player which is a disappointment

#736 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I have - it's very helpful and as an owner I now understand it but it's a mess for any new player which is a disappointment

Walking up to the machine first time, sure - but that's true for most pins really. It's a tough balance game designers make - easy and approachable (but quickly boring) vs layered and nuanced (but bewildering to newbs.)

I really like the complex rulesets - they really don't turn out to be THAT complex in the end; a few simple to understand things, then combined together.
I definitely don't want a 7500-12500 game to get boring quickly.

So far the JJP pins have really paid out for me in terms of long term interest and value.

#737 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Guns n Roses, Batman Forever, WWF Royal Rumble (worse than Sterns, if you can imagine it).

A spectacularly stupid comment Sir.

#738 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I love Wonka....great shooter, the four flippers are awesome....back box display is off the charts great.....I'm still trying to figure out all the rules

#739 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

A spectacularly stupid comment Sir.

I'm not saying YOU can't like WWF Royal Rumble, but it's a crap game, IMO, and market pricing reflects that.

#740 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I actually enjoy all 3 of these titles... Haha!

#741 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuxedomask23:

I actually enjoy all 3 of these titles... Haha!

GnR and Batman Forever are just okay. WWF? Nope.

The pricing reflects that. WWF is about 1/3 the price of a GnR and half to 2/3 the price of a Batman Forever.

#742 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

I would have probably bought this game!

#743 3 years ago

Its not a great pin but it isn't crap. I like GnR the least and Batman the most of the 3 but none of them are crap.

#744 3 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I totally disagree.....its one of the best shooters I've played. Tons of flow, incredible back glass graphic integration, great call outs, 4 flippers (which is awesome), and integrates well with the movie. Once u actually understand the game rules its one of the best games I've owned (and I've owned some great games).

#745 3 years ago

Really nice video, and you've definitely improved your ball control and shot skills!

I'm still confused by the game though.... I miss having time on it.

#746 3 years ago

Man this tread started out with real exiting news then morphed into talk about WWF...par for the course in 2020

#747 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Man this tread started out with real exiting news then morphed into talk about WWF...par for the course in 2020

When you don't tend the field, it becomes overgrown with weeds.

#748 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When you don't tend the field, it becomes overgrown with weeds.

Lmao

#749 3 years ago

This thread is almost as big of a let down as 2020

#750 3 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

This thread is almost as big of a let down as 2020

This thing turned into 15 pages of nothing. I will say I enjoyed learning about speakers and hearing about everyone's favorite Brady Bunch moments. Not enough to save this thread. Even if we get an announcement this week, unless it's a full access description with pictures or videos of play, they are going to get hammered for this promo "video" 6 weeks ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Concord, CA
$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11,000.00
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

8,500 (OBO)
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 3,446 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 69.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jjp-game-announcement-coming-soon/page/15?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.