• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cgrory
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi folks,
I hadn't been into pinball since the late 80s, and discovered the new (2016-2017) Stern machines at my local barcade. Star Wars Pro has absolutely captivated me! I'm trying to get the barcade to adjust the machine properly, as it's incredibly frustrating to play (Right scoop drains to middle every time, playing field angle is off - bubble is over the back line, etc).

But meanwhile, on Star War Pro, I was trying to discern between the Shot Multiplier, which seems obvious, and the Bonus Multiplier. Is it just a matter of the SM being every single shot/hit, and the BM being any ... additional shot made on an an objective?

#2 5 years ago

the shot multiplier multiplies any scores made on whatever shot has a green X lit in front of it.

Bonus is accumulated throughout play as a separate score awarded when you drain the ball (as an award for not tilting). When you collect your bonus at the end of the ball, its amount is multiplied by the bonus multiplier. Bonus multiplier is usually increased by completing the lanes above the pop bumpers, or on SW you can also hit the flashing red target off the plunge

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from cgrory:

(Right scoop drains to middle every time, playing field angle is off - bubble is over the back line, etc).

Maybe (nicely) let them know, there is an adjustment for the power of the scoop, and an adjustment to add a ball save when it ejects, they don't even need to remove the glass to fix the kickout.
as for the "level", it is not always needed to have the bubble between the lines, that is just a recommended incline, I personally like the games to be a little steeper. When the bubble is between the lines, the games always feel real floaty, and like to find outlanes.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

the shot multiplier multiplies any scores made on whatever shot has a green X lit in front of it.
Bonus is accumulated throughout play as a separate score awarded when you drain the ball (as an award for not tilting). When you collect your bonus at the end of the ball, its amount is multiplied by the bonus multiplier. Bonus multiplier is usually increased by completing the lanes above the pop bumpers, or on SW you can also hit the flashing red target off the plunge

Okay cool, that makes more sense. So that multiplier (I always try to hit the flashing 3-target off plunger), stacks up a bonus number when a ball drains ... What increases the base bonus score?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Maybe (nicely) let them know, there is an adjustment for the power of the scoop, and an adjustment to add a ball save when it ejects, they don't even need to remove the glass to fix the kickout.
as for the "level", it is not always needed to have the bubble between the lines, that is just a recommended incline, I personally like the games to be a little steeper. When the bubble is between the lines, the games always feel real floaty, and like to find outlanes.

So, I've mentioned it to them. They said they already *lowered* the power ... the ONLY way to save the ball is to stick up the right flipper and get the ball to hit the tip of it, but half the time it then drains immediately to the left drain lane. So the lowered power makes no sense to me - I would think it needs to come out at a better angle. My understanding is that the power isn't what needs to be adjusted, but the curved kickout guide, according to Steve Richie. The bubble on the level is over the back black line. I don't know if that equates to being higher than the recommended 6.5 degrees, but I think it could be affecting certain shots -- like a hard shot to DeathStar sometimes drains directly RDTM, or making the Tatooine right scoop a really difficult shot.

I went over to a bowling alley a ways away that also has SWP and the right kickout worked perfectly -- bounces directly off he left flipper. Unfortunately the right flipper gets stuck on that machine, it's an even steeper board, and somehow I keep bricking the Hoth and Endor shots, even though I make them fine at the barcade. Could be a left-right level problem?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from cgrory:

Okay cool, that makes more sense. So that multiplier (I always try to hit the flashing 3-target off plunger), stacks up a bonus number when a ball drains ... What increases the base bonus score?

There's nothing specific in SW, just playing. You can see a bit of the build up at the end of the ball while Yoda chastises you.

Older games there'd be specific shots marked as 'advance bonus' you could shoot for

1 week later
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

There's nothing specific in SW, just playing. You can see a bit of the build up at the end of the ball while Yoda chastises you.
Older games there'd be specific shots marked as 'advance bonus' you could shoot for

Thanks for the tips. The place near me adjusted the scoop a tiny bit so now the ball comes out from Mystery/Tatooine and bounces just off the tip of the left flipper so it doesn't drain every time. Now it generally bounces off the left and then either up to the right pop or over to the right flipper. It looks (and feels) like they tilted the angle back a tiny bit - the bubble is no longer over the back line. Unfortunately, now if you hit the Death Star loop with any speed, it's an immediate RDTM drain. not sure if that is because of a left-right level balance, or some rail adjustment needs to be done. Still seeing some weird bugs, like the ball being released while choosing a mission (when the board & flippers are dead), or on rare occasions, popping out another ball into the plunger lane. I've been learning a lot about how modern pinball games are made, as well as old ones. Such cool stuff. Now I'm thinking about how I can get my hands on my own machine to poke around on!

I'm having a ton of fun playing this, but I've never hated Yoda until I played this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 21.50
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-wondering-about-bonus-multiplier and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.