(Topic ID: 105864)

CzTV video mod for any machine - full speed, high resolution, high viewing angle

By CraZyMuffin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200227_003819 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200227_003743 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200222_204256 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190211_014116 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191204_232234 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191203_212449 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200219_192851 (resized).jpg
IMG_2226 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_194333 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013308 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013015 (resized).jpg
IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
IMG_2963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2196 (resized).jpg
IMG_2195 (resized).jpg

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

I have updated the software because of a bug found by a user running the TV mod 24/7, after a few days the TV might freeze up and need to be restarted.
Along with this bug fix, I have also:
-Converted all video files into a new format which plays smoother in some circumstances where it may have showed some lag.
-better sound support, sound is enabled by default (no need to change the configuration file manually)
-faster boot time
It is not a major change unless you leave your game on overnight. (which you should not do anyway..)
All future mods sold will include these updates. If anyone with a version 3 or later mod would like the software update, please PM me.

Hi mate,

The TV I bought recently - I don't know off hand if it is version 4 or 4.1? Is this latest update 4.1?

I don't leave my TZ on overnight, or even for several hours. Is the "faster boot time" significant? How would I go about updating to this software?

Thanks in advance

#402 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Hi mate,
The TV I bought recently - I don't know off hand if it is version 4 or 4.1? Is this latest update 4.1?
I don't leave my TZ on overnight, or even for several hours. Is the "faster boot time" significant? How would I go about updating to this software?
Thanks in advance

I only started shipping 4.1 as of the announcement, so you will have v4.

The only significant update is the overnight fix. Boot time is a second or less faster. Version 4 is already very solid, smooth playback and fast boot, you likely wouldn't notice a difference. If you do still want the update, I can get you detailed steps to update the SD card inside the TV (have to open the TV, remove the raspberry pi, remove the SD card, put SD card into a Windows PC with an adaptor, flash a new image onto the SD card, then put it back together.) Or I can ship out a new SD card that you can swap out.

#403 6 years ago

Ok thanks, will have a think about it. How much would it cost to get a new SD card shipped out?

Also, how much would it cost for another power cable? (I managed to partially strip the insulation when it snagged on something as I was pulling the playfield out. It works, I've put electrical tape around it, but would ideally like a replacement if I can get one.

Thanks in advance.

#404 6 years ago

Placed my order for one of these Awesome Mods! So looking forward to a fully pimped out TZ! Thanks for all your hard and Creative work on this!!

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Ok thanks, will have a think about it. How much would it cost to get a new SD card shipped out?
Also, how much would it cost for another power cable? (I managed to partially strip the insulation when it snagged on something as I was pulling the playfield out. It works, I've put electrical tape around it, but would ideally like a replacement if I can get one.
Thanks in advance.

I will send you a PM with a shipping estimate!

Quoted from Yelobird:

Placed my order for one of these Awesome Mods! So looking forward to a fully pimped out TZ! Thanks for all your hard and Creative work on this!!

Awesome! Thanks! I hope you love it!

3 weeks later
#406 5 years ago

For those of you who are on the fence about the mod because you might think the mod is too complicated to install, check out these new videos! Installation in under 10 minutes! and that includes me wasting time trying to figure out how to raise/lower a Gottlieb playfield...

First an unboxing video:

And the installation:

#407 5 years ago

This mod is excellent. I am a total electronics noob and even I managed to get it installed in no time at all. Fired the game up and it worked first time, absolutely no setup or other interaction needed. I couldn't be happier and everyone who sees it remarks on it.

#408 5 years ago

Can't recommend this mod enough. CS is awesome if you do have any questions. Ya - everyone loves mine as well. And sometimes I keep the game on while I am watching TV just to hear it in the background - puts a smile on my face as I love TZ and only really watch it when they have the marathons for 4th of July and New Years. Now I get my fix! Plus it ties into the game so well.

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

This mod is excellent. I am a total electronics noob and even I managed to get it installed in no time at all. Fired the game up and it worked first time, absolutely no setup or other interaction needed. I couldn't be happier and everyone who sees it remarks on it.

Quoted from hockeymag8:

Can't recommend this mod enough. CS is awesome if you do have any questions. Ya - everyone loves mine as well. And sometimes I keep the game on while I am watching TV just to hear it in the background - puts a smile on my face as I love TZ and only really watch it when they have the marathons for 4th of July and New Years. Now I get my fix! Plus it ties into the game so well.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Quick update, my mod is now tested and ready for use in Rob Zombie! Credit goes to 911Paramedic for testing it out and making the video/PDF. Thanks!

Check it out in action here:

And the installation manual here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai1ebmmPcYZghJIxPo_gJfdImG_QcA

3 weeks later
#410 5 years ago

Great work, but how to play video on this type of screen ?

3 weeks later
#411 5 years ago

Someone requested a side-by-side of the CRT case and the bloodied TV case, so uploading here.

IMG_20180523_002545 (resized).jpgIMG_20180523_002545 (resized).jpg

#412 5 years ago
Quoted from gnokketto:

Great work, but how to play video on this type of screen ?

Thanks! The video is powered by a raspberry pi connected to an LCD screen. Video is played from the USB drive. I setup the software so you can add compatible video on the USB drive and it will play them randomly in a loop after the mod boots up.

#413 5 years ago

I know I read a long time ago about the tv images being interactive with the table somehow. Did that ever go through?

1 week later
#414 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCreature:

I know I read a long time ago about the tv images being interactive with the table somehow. Did that ever go through?

Unfortunately the interactive stuff has not been finished yet. I do have a lot of work towards getting that working (thanks to another pinsider who created some hardware to interface to the CPU board). I have been constantly working to improve my mod over the last few years, getting it smaller, more reliable, easier to build, and better video/audio quality. Next on my list is to find a higher quality LCD screen with higher resolution, brightness, and viewing angle (which is the only criticism I have ever had about my mod, so it is highest on my list). After this is done, I have plans to make the mod standalone so it can be easily used outside of a pinball machine. Then after that I will get back into the interactivity stuff.

Quick update, my mod now has an official Dirty Harry installation manual and for sale posting on my pinside marketplace!
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai1ebmmPcYZghJJKJLzpHwzB-XQW1Q

20180601_221130 (resized).jpg20180601_221130 (resized).jpg20180603_092201 (resized).jpg20180603_092201 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#415 5 years ago

Just a quick announcement, I am working on releasing my next version of my mod with a much-requested update to the LCD screen! (more details to follow)

Because of this, I am dropping the price of the rest of my stock of V4 screens until they run out of stock.

#416 5 years ago

Sounds great, look forward to it!

1 month later
#417 5 years ago

Also looking forward to it. I have a freddy i would love to have it for. Maybe even my RZ as well.

BUT question. How long are the clips in that are provided. 1min 3min 10min etc????

Also can special requests for Not Family friendly scenes be requested?

#418 5 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Also looking forward to it. I have a freddy i would love to have it for. Maybe even my RZ as well.
BUT question. How long are the clips in that are provided. 1min 3min 10min etc????
Also can special requests for Not Family friendly scenes be requested?

Sending PM. I will work with you to make sure you are happy with what you get!

I had some extra time this holiday weekend to work on the new screen and make a couple of test models. I hope to post a nice big update about it tomorrow! I would like to start getting these in other people's hands so I can get some additional feedback and more testing.

#419 5 years ago

Would be interested to get one of the new ones for my TAF

#420 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Would be interested to get one of the new ones for my TAF

Sending you a PM!

#421 5 years ago

I want to get one of these for my Terminator 2 pin, but after having a bad experience with this one: ebay.com link: Terminator 2 T2 Pinball T1000 Interactive mod (it got smacked by the ball too many times and broke), I'm wondering how this stands up to ball abuse? There are 9 pages of comments in this thread; I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but I can't read through 9 pages.

Anyone?

#422 5 years ago

I doubt many mods would take sustained abuse from ball hits. Is it not possible for you to install it somewhere it's not going to be hit by them? Or resolve why they are getting hit in the first place?

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from grimholtz:

I want to get one of these for my Terminator 2 pin, but after having a bad experience with this one: ebay.com link » Terminator 2 T2 Pinball T1000 Interactive Mod (it got smacked by the ball too many times and broke), I'm wondering how this stands up to ball abuse? There are 9 pages of comments in this thread; I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but I can't read through 9 pages.
Anyone?

In a previous post I detailed how I tried to break it by throwing a pinball at the screen, it took a few tries to crack the screen, and a pretty hard throw. There is a layer of glass in front of the LCD screen to protect it for normal abuse.

I have not heard of any cases of my mod being broken from airballs. If you do purchase and it does break, send it back and I will repair it (for free the first time). Then move it to a new spot that does not attract as much damage.

I think the reason my mod doesn't get as many airballs is because it is usually mounted up pretty high near the glass.

If you do notice you are getting a lot of airballs, make sure there is nothing unusual causing it (broken plastics, bent standup targets, high flipper strength, etc). And if you notice a particular area of your playfield that gets airballs, best not to install mods nearby.

For Terminator 2, I mounted my TV in the back right, above the right ramp plastic. It seemed like it was protected enough.

1 week later
#424 5 years ago

I will create a new topic to officially announce my new version soon.. but thought I would drop this here for now.

Comparison (resized).jpgComparison (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#425 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

I will create a new topic to officially announce my new version soon.. but thought I would drop this here for now.

[quoted image]

Great to see the new version coming out soon and it looks awesome. I will pickup my first Pinball machine (TAF) next week and I would love to do this as my first mod. Looking forward to buy this soon...

#426 5 years ago
Quoted from Lucaa:

Great to see the new version coming out soon and it looks awesome. I will pickup my first Pinball machine (TAF) next week and I would love to do this as my first mod. Looking forward to buy this soon...

Thanks for your interest in my mod! I have started building the new version, so I am ready to start selling, I just haven't had time to post on the forums about it. Sending you a PM!

1 month later
#427 5 years ago

I have officially added the new version of my mod to my pinside store! https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1076-cztv-mods

I don't have time at the moment to make a long new post on the forums about this new version, so I will just announce it here for now.

The new version is using a much highly quality display, it is 2x the resolution at 640x480 and has a very high viewing angle (the most requested change to my previous mod).

I am also offering to swap out old versions of my mod for this new version if you want the higher quality display. Just send me a PM and we can work something out! (upgrades will have to wait until my next batch, I am already running low on my current stock)

I am also announcing the mod being made for Munsters! If you haven't seen the updates in the Munsters mod thread, you can check them out here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-bring-on-the-munster-mods-?tq=&tu=crazymuffin

2 months later
#428 4 years ago

Just added the TV to my Scared Stiff and due to a lack of mounting pics for SS, I figured I would post some with my mounting choice. I bent a long mounting bracket with a small z bend at one end to drop the TV a bit and it worked perfectly...

20190416_222551 (resized).jpg20190416_222551 (resized).jpg20190416_222538 (resized).jpg20190416_222538 (resized).jpg20190416_222202 (resized).jpg20190416_222202 (resized).jpg20190416_222141 (resized).jpg20190416_222141 (resized).jpg
#429 4 years ago

Looks good

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

Just added the TV to my Scared Stiff and due to a lack of mounting pics for SS, I figured I would post some with my mounting choice. I bent a long mounting bracket with a small z bend at one end to drop the TV a bit and it worked perfectly...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you very much for posting these images! If anyone else has any pictures to share of where they installed the mod in their machine, it would be much appreciated!

#431 4 years ago

What's the price for the upgrade if you own the older version?

#432 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

What's the price for the upgrade if you own the older version?

I sent you a PM!

#433 4 years ago

Thanks to @calfdemon, I was able to finish an official Scared Stiff installation manual! Located here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai1ebmmPcYZghJUU_7ed0yrwmWHVAQ

#434 4 years ago

Glad to help! It's a great mod!!

3 weeks later
#435 4 years ago

Just Installed this mod on TAF.

It was a breeze to setup and after a bit of meticulous bending of the wire harness and a bit of foam it now stands proud at the back of 'things' box without fouling its movement. It looks so cool I can't wait for the comments to come rolling in from what I am sure will be to the amazement of family and friends!

lol - as I type - my 13 year old daughters first reaction, "OMG - it should of come out of the factory like that....". I believe I need to explain the state of computers and small screens circa 1991 me thinks..!!!! Cheers for a great mod - every TAF should have one.

(added some photos - sorry for the reflection but you all get the idea)

IMG_2196 (resized).jpgIMG_2196 (resized).jpgIMG_2195 (resized).jpgIMG_2195 (resized).jpg
#436 4 years ago
Quoted from Ambro:

Just Installed this mod on TAF.
It was a breeze to setup and after a bit of meticulous bending
of the wire harness and a bit of foam it now stands proud at the
back of 'things' box without fouling its movement. It looks so cool
I can't wait for the comments to come rolling in from what I am
sure will be to the amazement of family and friends!
lol - as I type - my 13 year old daughters first reaction, "OMG
- it should of come out of the factory like that....". I believe I
need to explain the state of computers and small screens circa 1991
me thinks..!!!! Cheers for a great mod - every TAF should have
one.
(added some photos - sorry for the reflection but you all get
the idea)[quoted image][quoted image]

I thought about installing it there, but couldn't see a way of it fitting properly. Have you sat it on top of the clear plastic triangle assembly at the back? Do you not find that the TV is at a very acute angle when you're in front of the pin?

I fitted mine on the ramp on the left, but I'm not entirely happy with it, not least of which because it leans slightly to the right.

IMG_2963 (resized).jpegIMG_2963 (resized).jpeg

#437 4 years ago

The tv is mounted on that plastic triangle, sort of...... I had to stick some black foam (approx. 1cm thick) to raise it above the plastic so the fit was pointing more up, but that is mainly because I was tired of bending the wire to get it perfect (it's pretty hard wire as you probably know). You could get it so it 'hovers' above the plastic if you get the wire just right. As mentioned in my previous post you have to do this so it doesn't foul 'things' box when it opens.

At the end of the day it's what you want out of a mod to where you place it - meaning I personally don't want the tv picture distracting me whilst playing so being right up high facing on an acute angle is ideal for me. It's the people watching me play on the left hand side that get to enjoy the extra bit of bling this mod gives. It also lights up that very dark corner when you dim the lights. And - at least for me growing up - it fits the theme where old skool tv's were always wedged in the corner of a house too....!!

If you put it on the ramp then you would be able to see the picture better but it then covers the playfield/ramp (definite no-no in my books) and it sort of looks like it is tacked on. However if it was an interactive mod displaying different things depending on the game play then the ramp would be ideal.

I've added a larger photo so you can see that it is visible in that top corner when you play - it's just not 'in your face'. My advice - try it in this location, it can be done with some patience, and if you don't like it move it back (it also gives you a chance to give the back area a bit of a clean too!).

IMG_2198 (resized).jpgIMG_2198 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#438 4 years ago

I have been reworking my JP CRT version of my mod to work with my newest LCD. Good timing it seems, with the announcement of the new Stern JP.

This new case has thinner bezels and is colored properly to match the old beige CRT monitors.

It is available for purchase immediately for any of the Jurassic Park machines.

IMG_20190729_013015 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_013015 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_013308 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_013308 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_013356 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_013356 (resized).jpg
#439 4 years ago

And a blood splattered version that was requested.

IMG_20190729_194333 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_194333 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#440 4 years ago

Absolutely splendid mod. This is the first mod any TZ owner should add after repairing the clock. Thank you @crazymuffin!

IMG_2226 (resized).jpgIMG_2226 (resized).jpg

5 months later
#441 4 years ago

I have been slower than I would like at making new things for my TV mod, but today I can finally announce a few things that I am working on!

After finding a new LCD with better resolution and viewing angle (see my previous post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-tz-tv-mod-w-beautiful-video-playback/page/9#post-4832259), the next improvement I wanted to make is finding/creating more cases for the mod and improving the ones that I have.

The CRT style case has gotten a makeover, and is now a little smaller. This smaller footprint allows it to fit into tighter spaces and the smaller scaler makes it feel more natural next to other toys.

I now have an LCD style case, a plain black bezel that blends into the background and is designed to look more modern. This case can be customized with different paint colors. I have had requests for black (this fits with just about any machine), white, and even chrome for games like Terminator.

I also have an antique picture frame faceplate that fits perfectly over the LCD panel. This is the smallest footprint of any of these cases (because its not a true case, just a faceplate!) and works wells for games like TFTC, Addams Family, Monster Bash, and Munsters.

The old-style TV case is about as perfect as it can get, the only improvements have been making it easier to build.

Of course all of these cases have the option to add a blood splatter effect.

Oh, and another improvement on the hardware side. I can now include a micro USB power socket on the back of the TV for power. This allows for super easy power connections in machines that include a USB service port or for plugging into a USB wall adaptor outside of the machine.

I can make my mod for just about any machine and any video, just send me a PM and I will work with you to make it happen!

Some of the latest machines I have built my mod for includes, Munsters, Monster Bash Remake, Stern Jurassic Park, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Rick and Morty!
Here is an example of the latest request, Rick and Morty in the black LCD case! (I cut out the interdimensional cable shows into a continuous clip!):

IMG_20190211_014116 (resized).jpgIMG_20190211_014116 (resized).jpgIMG_20191203_212449 (resized).jpgIMG_20191203_212449 (resized).jpgIMG_20191204_232234 (resized).jpgIMG_20191204_232234 (resized).jpgIMG_20200219_192851 (resized).jpgIMG_20200219_192851 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_204256 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_204256 (resized).jpg
#442 4 years ago

Just a quick share of a test of the chrome painted case, also one playing Terminator 2! It is hard to get a clean look on the chrome, but I am testing out new ways to smooth out the case before painting.
IMG_20200227_003743 (resized).jpgIMG_20200227_003743 (resized).jpgIMG_20200227_003819 (resized).jpgIMG_20200227_003819 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#443 4 years ago

Corona special! Offering a 12% discount on my store, it will last until we are allowed to go back to work in my office building! It may be 2 weeks, may be 2 years! who knows!

MV8B-SAPV-D6RY-2SEC

2 months later
#444 3 years ago

Setting up my mod for a new theme, Hollywood Heat / Miami Vice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
£ 49.00
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenville, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-tz-tv-mod-w-beautiful-video-playback/page/9?hl=gnokketto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.