(Topic ID: 105864)

CzTV video mod for any machine - full speed, high resolution, high viewing angle

By CraZyMuffin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200227_003819 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200227_003743 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200222_204256 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190211_014116 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191204_232234 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191203_212449 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200219_192851 (resized).jpg
IMG_2226 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_194333 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013308 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013015 (resized).jpg
IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
IMG_2963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2196 (resized).jpg
IMG_2195 (resized).jpg
There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Here is where I put my tv mod

Awesome! Thanks for posting the pictures!

Which bracket did you end up using? and which screw point did you mount to?

#202 9 years ago

I will post better pictures, and also picture of where I mounted the controller a little later today. I mounted the tv there so when the ball rolls under you can see the tv. Also you can see the tv a lot better closer up and lol I have so many mods on my tz that the whole back of the Playfield is filled.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I will post better pictures, and also picture of where I mounted the controller a little later today. I mounted the tv there so when the ball rolls under you can see the tv. Also you can see the tv a lot better closer up and lol I have so many mods on my tz that the whole back of the Playfield is filled.

Thanks! heh, ya that is a lot of mods. Someday I will have that many in mine, slowly working on it.

I also updated my initial post to contain the status of the mod. I have received a few PMs telling me there are too many pages to read though to find out the status and if it is still available

#204 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

I used the longest bracket, had to twist a little to get the tv to sit straight.

image-892.jpgimage-892.jpgimage-805.jpgimage-805.jpg

Mounted the controller on the Playfield backboard.

#205 9 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I used the longest bracket, had to twist a little to get the tv to sit straight.

Awesome, thanks!

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I think that's the only vacant spot on your pin.

#207 9 years ago

Finished these LCD power cables in the last 2 nights... my fingers and brain hurt from all the crimping...

0210152309.jpg0210152309.jpg
#208 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

Finished these LCD power cables in the last 2 nights... my fingers and brain hurt from all the crimping...

0210152309.jpg 241 KB

I'll bet your an expert by now.

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'll bet your an expert by now.

well... we will see when I test them!

#210 9 years ago

Still working though all of the assembly, waiting for the last part to arrive. More pictures of the last couple of days work.

Got the raspberry pi's together.

Last major piece is the WPC power tap.... testing out a new way to make them, thanks to ideas from Rock914

I am considering just making up a circuit board similar to the DK custom pinball power tap, though with a wired pigtail to the 3-pin "stern" plug, instead of it being directly attached to the board.

0215150122.jpg0215150122.jpg 0215151356.jpg0215151356.jpg
#211 9 years ago

Some of the LCDs came in today, so I will be finalizing a couple of the mods for shipping starting tomorrow. I need to send out some PMs to those I can ship out to.

#212 9 years ago

Sweet. Keep up the hard work. Looking forward to ours.

#214 9 years ago

I sent a PM to the first 10 people on my list.. I am adding the finishing touches and should start shipping tomorrow.

If you did not get a PM, do not fret! I will have another 30 getting ready after these ship. That should cover everyone on the waiting list for TZ.. then I can finally start getting some out for other pinball machines.

I am currently working on the TAF video. I have the Addams Family movie done. I am also planning to add AF values and also some old episodes to mix things up.

#215 9 years ago

Crazymuffin you ever gonna make twd ? Pm me if you do

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Crazymuffin you ever gonna make twd ? Pm me if you do

It's definitely on my long backlog of games to make one for.

#217 9 years ago

Cant wait to get mine

#218 9 years ago

I finished and tested the first 10, unfortunately 4 did not pass (I really need to have a talk with the LCD supplier...) Luckily only 6 of the 10 I contacted got back with me, so I have enough to ship out for everyone that paid.

I ran out of time to package up this batch for shipment, but I will get them out tomorrow after work.

Thanks everyone for being patient. I still have a big backlog to go, but I am getting there!

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

I finished and tested the first 10, unfortunately 4 did not pass (I really need to have a talk with the LCD supplier...) Luckily only 6 of the 10 I contacted got back with me, so I have enough to ship out for everyone that paid.
I ran out of time to package up this batch for shipment, but I will get them out tomorrow after work.
Thanks everyone for being patient. I still have a big backlog to go, but I am getting there!

Is this an issue that could crop up for the ones that are currently working? Or is this something that could affect them down the road?

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Is this an issue that could crop up for the ones that are currently working? Or is this something that could affect them down the road?

Anything is possible, but I am fairly sure is it a manufacturing defect on the LCD driver chip where it will not keep up with the high communication rate required by the Pi to output normal frames per second.

I can set the communication rate to a step lower and it works fine, however the FPS of video is lower and is too noticeable.

It has either worked from the factory, or not. I have yet to see one acquire these symptoms over time.

If it does happen to someone, please let me know!

#221 9 years ago

More displays are in! So I will be sending out more PMs tomorrow to those next on the list. Also put in another order to replace the defective ones.

#222 9 years ago

Just a quick update on the LCD issues I have had.

After talking with the manufacturer and another heavy use of this display...

1. The sync problem is not a "defect" because the rated speed is far below what I am using. It is just luck that most of the displays are manufactured this far above specifications. Only option is to set a lower speed that it will work on.

So I will not be using these LCDs on my video mod, but I can sell them or use them for non-video purposes, also for use with the Arduino.

2. The touch screen issue is far less common, and there is a possible software fix that I need to try.

Both of these issues will either always be there, or never be there. They will not develop over time in a "good" display.

#223 9 years ago

I setup one of my TV mods for a Space Station pinball at request. Plays various space shuttle take-offs, landings, passing by the moon, docking with the space station, landing on the moon. Ended up looking really cool. Would look good with any NASA themed pin.

I will officially be offering it once I am done with my backlog.

#224 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

I setup one of my TV mods for a Space Station pinball at request. Plays various Space Shuttle take-offs, landings, passing by the moon, docking with the Space Station, landing on the moon. Ended up looking really cool. Would look good with any NASA themed pin.
I will officially be offering it once I am done with my backlog.

Cool and I have a Space Station too. I know the mod is worth it but the price.

#225 9 years ago

Put me on the list for a Space Station mod.

#226 9 years ago

That would be so cool to do a snip it of the intro for tmnt in the tv mod. Really thinking about it now. Awesome mod.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool and I have a Space Station too. I know the mod is worth it but the price.

I feel like I am giving it away for pennies! Seriously though, if you are interested it would be best to get on the list now. Once I am caught up on my backlog and I start officially offering other machines, the price is going up a little. My ebay sales have dried up, and that was where I was making all my money. I wasn't figuring in the paypal fees when I originally set the price, and shipping is a little higher then I was hoping. I am not making much at all on these Version 2 mods. It is a steal for how much time goes into these. But I would rather sell more and get more into people's machines then set a super high price.

Quoted from ToucanF16:

Put me on the list for a Space Station mod.

Will do!

Quoted from Redcloudball:

That would be so cool to do a snip it of the intro for tmnt in the tv mod. Really thinking about it now. Awesome mod.

Ya, TMNT would be another good one! The TV case would fit with the theme I think. I will add that to my list of machines to make the mod for.

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

I feel like I am giving it away for pennies! Seriously though, if you are interested it would be best to get on the list now. Once I am caught up on my backlog and I start officially offering other machines, the price is going up a little. My ebay sales have dried up, and that was where I was making all my money. I wasn't figuring in the paypal fees when I originally set the price, and shipping is a little higher then I was hoping. I am not making much at all on these Version 2 mods. It is a steal for how much time goes into these. But I would rather sell more and get more into people's machines then set a super high price.

I didn't mean to sound negitive at all so PLEASE don't take it that way. I don't begrudge your asking price at all and at your price point I think it's a steal but I just wish I could afford it. Keep up the GREAT work and I'll have to start saving for one that's all there is to it. My eyes are bigger then my wallet. I LOVE your mod.

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I didn't mean to sound negitive at all so PLEASE don't take it that way. I don't begrudge your asking price at all and at your price point I think it's a steal but I just wish I could afford it. Keep up the GREAT work and I'll have to start saving for one that's all there is to it. My eyes are bigger then my wallet. I LOVE your mod.

lol, ok thanks for the clarification! As a side note I do have some version 1's still available for a lower price if anyone really doesn't like the price tag of the version 2. PM me for details.

#230 9 years ago

I received mine yesterday haven't hooked it up yet but I went over everything and is a very well thought out and is made very nice and great attention to detail and is definitely the best mod for the money and still trying to figure out how he is even breaking even lol.others sell the boring picture tv for the same price and this has much more involved in it. Also great guy to deal with

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I received mine yesterday haven't hooked it up yet but I went over everything and is a very well thought out and is made very nice and great attention to detail and is definitely the best mod for the money and still trying to figure out how he is even breaking even lol.others sell the boring picture tv for the same price and this has much more involved in it. Also great guy to deal with

Thanks!

I do owe you guys a new installation manual too, I will be working on that today.

If you want to install it sooner, you can also use the old manual and the pictures others have posted for where they mounted it in this thread.

Version 1 instructions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9tr9xyzivf9ku1/CzTV%20TZ%20Installation_Instructions.pdf?dl=0

#232 9 years ago

New installation manual for Version 2 is complete! I used some images that people have shared in this thread. If you DO NOT want me to use your pictures, please let me know and I will remove them! But they are very helpful for others to see where you mounted your mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i1cta7losuk599/CzTV%20TZ%20Installation_Instructions_V2.pdf?dl=0

Over the next couple of days I will be getting caught up on shipping out those who have paid.

I still have some extra that have not been paid for yet, so I will be sending out another round of PMs to more people requesting payment.

#233 9 years ago

Alright, so I think I solved both issues. I had to because I had so many showing the symptoms.

The sync issues are fixed by lowering the speed closer to the spec, as expected. But then the FPS drops a little on the video. It is not as bad as I thought... on it's own you don't notice, but comparing them side-by-side you can tell.

I will probably sell these cheap as 2nds, I also have some TV cases that have minor defects that I could pair up with these.

So if anyone is interested in one of these super cheap, let me know!

Anyway, the other issue was touching the screen might cause the display to flicker. I disabled the touch functionality in the software side, but that didn't completely solve the issue. So I know there is a hardware issue. The solution ended up being the long cable I was using. I had the max length at 5ft, so I thought using a 4ft cable would be on the safe side. But I guess not for every screen. So I will be testing on a 4ft cable, then if there are issues try a foot shorter until it works reliability.

If anyone has any issues with the display flickering, I will ship out a shorter network cable and that should fix it.

#234 9 years ago

6 more were dropped in the mail today. I believe that is everyone that has paid so far.

I will be contacting more people on the wait-list this week about getting payment from them.

Also, I am working on a large 9" LCD mod. I will be testing it in a Transformers machine when I get a chance. I felt there was too much unused area in the back left.... so I need to do something about that.

#235 9 years ago

WOW a 9 inch. No problem seeing that one...even from across the room. I GOTTA see this one.

#236 9 years ago

Got my TZ TV mod v.2 today. Excellent materials and build. Installed quickly and without a hitch. Can't decide where I'm going to leave it on the playfield - either in the back or by the clock.

Excellent mod! Thanks for all your R&D into this product! Any chance of future updates with gameplay triggering different scenes on the tv screen?

Thanks again!

#237 9 years ago

Nine inch tv I want for something

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from pxzel:

Got my TZ TV mod v.2 today. Excellent materials and build. Installed quickly and without a hitch. Can't decide where I'm going to leave it on the playfield - either in the back or by the clock.
Excellent mod! Thanks for all your R&D into this product! Any chance of future updates with gameplay triggering different scenes on the tv screen?
Thanks again!

Awesome! I am glad to hear your install went well.

I am still working on the expansion board, i have a friend helping design the hardware in his spare time

#239 9 years ago

Received mine last week. Space Station is on hold as parts roll in (likely my last project for awhile, so it's getting a little overdone). Plus my credit card # was jacked and used for linens from England and 5 figures worth of airline tickets, so I'm currently on hold ordering parts too. Anyway I hooked the TV mod up to another game to check it out, very impressed! Plus kudos for going the extra mile to install custom video. The retro tv case works too as I remember watching shuttle take offs in school where they'd crowd all us kids into the gym to huddle around a similar 20" tv. All in all a nice product.

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Received mine last week. Space Station is on hold as parts roll in (likely my last project for awhile, so it's getting a little overdone). Plus my credit card # was jacked and used for linens from England and 5 figures worth of airline tickets, so I'm currently on hold ordering parts too. Anyway I hooked the TV mod up to another game to check it out, very impressed! Plus kudos for going the extra mile to install custom video. The retro tv case works too as I remember watching shuttle take offs in school where they'd crowd all us kids into the gym to huddle around a similar 20" tv. All in all a nice product.

Awesome, thanks! and no problem! I was really surprised how good the space shuttle footage looked on there myself. Sorry to hear about your credit card though.

I am still working on getting another batch of these out, I was away for the weekend, and I am closing on a house tomorrow, so really busy this week...

#241 9 years ago

Some people have expressed interest in adding audio to this TV mod.

Thanks to Wariodolby for this idea, I will be offering an audio kit for those interested. It will include a USB audio card and powered bluetooth speaker.

There is not a good place to put the speaker, but the best I have so far is inside the coin door. It muffles the sound a little though.

When the machine is in attract mode, you are able to hear the speaker, but when you play the game, the pin overpowers the speaker so you cannot hear it, so there is no distraction while playing.

There will be 2 choices to power the speaker:
1. power from the service AC outlet
2. extra 5v splitter on the Power Tap cable included with the mod.

Price is yet to be determined for these options. Let me know if you are interested! The more interest the faster I will get this done.

#242 9 years ago

I'm interested

#243 9 years ago

Sure thing, I will update you when I have more info on it.

#244 9 years ago

Here's a video of the Mod with Sound.
Crazymuffin is doing a great job with this Mod.
Don't hesitate to buy it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=yx84JTeu5UI

#245 9 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Here's a video of the Mod with Sound.
Crazymuffin is doing a great job with this Mod.
Don't hesitate to buy it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=yx84JTeu5UI

Haha, thanks for posting that video! Sounds really good coming from the backbox. I will have to test that out on my machine.

#246 9 years ago

I have a batch of 10 that will be ready for shipping this weekend, sending out more PMs requesting payment.

#247 9 years ago

10 TV mods or ten sound mods?

#248 9 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

10 TV mods or ten sound mods?

sorry, the tv mods! I should have 3 sound mods ready soon though, for an initial trial run

#249 9 years ago

finally done shipping this batch, there's just as much work testing/packing/shipping as there is building the mods...

Anyway, for the sound mod you can either buy the parts yourself or wait until I have all the parts in and tested:

1. USB audio cable for raspberry pi, tested works ebay.com link: USB Audio Adapter Get Better Sound From Your Raspberry Pi

2. powered speaker, needs to have a standard audio cable plug, preferably one with a hard on/off switch so you can leave it in the ON position so it gets turned on when it gets power. something like this... not tested yet. ebay.com link: Small Cute USB Powered Stereo Laptop Notebook Speakers FM Radio Music Player

3. 5v wall adaptor (can use an extra cell phone power charger, there are also other cheaper options out there if you search around) ebay.com link: SAMSUNG Micro USB Cable Wall Car Charger For Samsung Galaxy Note4 2 S4 S3

Instructions to get audio:
1. plug the 5v wall adaptor into the service outlet, or if you do not have a service outlet, install one? or run an extension cable outside the pinball cabinet to your wall.

2. plug the speaker into the 5v wall adaptor

3. plug the 3.5mm audio cable from the speaker to the USB audio cable

4. plug the audio cable into the raspberry pi

5. Remove the USB thumb drive from the raspberry pi and plug it into your computer. Change the config.txt file to enable audio, "soundEnabled=false"

6. plug the USB thumb drive back in and turn on the pinball (or reboot if you already had it on)

1 week later
#250 9 years ago

I found a way to bring some of the "defective" LCDs back to life. The issue when touching on the screen is fixed by disconnecting the touch signal wire. When the screen senses a touch, it puts voltage down one of the lines and causes interference on the video signal.

So that means I will have another batch of TV mods ready soon. I contacted everyone who wanted a TZ mod so far and sent one to everyone who paid. A few people did not get back with me, so let me know if you still want one!

IF YOU EXPRESSED INTEREST IN A TWILIGHT ZONE VERSION OF MY MOD, BUT DID NOT GET ONE YET, PLEASE CONTACT ME!

I will be sending some PMs out to those who were interested in the TAF version next. That is ready to go. For the bootup sequence, I have Fester with the lightbulb. For the pre-loaded videos, I have The Addams Family, The Addams Family Values, and some bonus items.

It will come with the Addams Family combo DVD found here: http://www.amazon.com/Addams-Family-Values-Double-Feature/dp/B00AJCUL2G/ref=sr_1_2

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 18.95
Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 64.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-tz-tv-mod-w-beautiful-video-playback/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.