Topic Stats

• 440 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 70 days ago by spblat
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 178 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2226 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_194333 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013308 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013015 (resized).jpg
IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
IMG_2963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2196 (resized).jpg
IMG_2195 (resized).jpg
20190416_222141 (resized).jpg
20190416_222202 (resized).jpg
20190416_222538 (resized).jpg
20190416_222551 (resized).jpg
Comparison (resized).jpg
20180601_221130 (resized).jpg
20180603_092201 (resized).jpg

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#152 4 years ago

Some guys have been emailing me about the black and silver TV I sold for a little bit over the summer. I hope you don't mind I've been referring them to this thread.

Great job on this project!

#153 4 years ago

Wow..., I have read from the first post, every post. I am impressed with CraZyMuffin's creative wherewithal, and as important, the willingness to improve the mod and listen to suggestions. Props to the Pin Community for their valuable input and interest(obviously a must to help make this great mod more available to the likes of us!)

The punch line is......I want one. Please put me on the list, in line, wherever I need to be, so I can pimp my TZ with this amazing mod!

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Some guys have been emailing me about the black and silver TV I sold for a little bit over the summer. I hope you don't mind I've been referring them to this thread.
Great job on this project!

wow, I really appreciate it! I saw you had an issue pop up with the mdm mod, sorry to hear about that. send me a pm if you think i might be able to help. Doesnt hurt to get another brain thinking about a solution.

Quoted from lpnsocal:

Wow..., I have read from the first post, every post. I am impressed with CraZyMuffin's creative wherewithal, and as important, the willingness to improve the mod and listen to suggestions. Props to the Pin Community for their valuable input and interest(obviously a must to help make this great mod more available to the likes of us!)
The punch line is......I want one. Please put me on the list, in line, wherever I need to be, so I can pimp my TZ with this amazing mod!

Thanks a lot for your interest! I will send you a PM with more details!

And yes, big thanks to everyone who has given feedback so far! On that note, i have another suggestion i will be looking at shortly.

The raspberry currently currently boots up in this sequence and displays:
1. Initial boot message showing this is the official CzTV mod, and also a version number. Lasts about 3 seconds.
2. Bootup sequence showing an animated boot image, for TZ this is the title screen from the show. This lasts for about 40 seconds.
3. Once loaded, there are a couple of status messages shown on screen that are useless to the user. This is shown for about a second.
4. The raspberry is now fully loaded and video playback is started.

I am looking to hide step 3 as much as possible, so no text is shown. Just a blank screen until the video starts.

I have also recently went though the bootup programs to turn off unnecessary programs from starting. This reduced the bootup from about 50 seconds to 40. Not as much as i would like, but it is a start!

On the hardware side, I am still waiting to test placement of version 2 in a machine. Until then i am working on getting a batch of the power tap cables done. Attached picture of 30 in progress.. Mind nimbing doing so many at once.

0112152333.jpg
#155 4 years ago

This is really an awesome mod! I'm really interested in maybe working this into my Freddy Nightmare on Elm Street pin. The "TV set" on that table is simply a stand up target, but would be sweet to figure out a way to put this in there showing clips from the films.

(Any way to customize what clip is shown based on whether a particular mode is active/playfield light is lit? On this table, there are 6 Nightmares plus the Final mode, and they sort of relate the the seven films. Would be cool to have a clip from each movie playing during that particular mode.)

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

This is really an awesome mod! I'm really interested in maybe working this into my Freddy Nightmare On Elm Street pin. The "TV set" on that table is simply a stand up target, but would be sweet to figure out a way to put this in there showing clips from the films.
(Any way to customize what clip is shown based on whether a particular mode is active/playfield light is lit? On this table, there are 6 Nightmares plus the Final mode, and they sort of relate the the seven films. Would be cool to have a clip from each movie playing during that particular mode.)

I'm sure you could find a place for it on there. I am taking a look at the playfield pictures, the TV looks similar to the one I am using, but not perfect.. mine is a little bit older fashioned with the speaker grill. But do you think it is close enough? Or would you rather have it come with a different TV case.

As for showing clips when modes are active, I am still working on the feature for my mod. I really want to do it, but it is going to take a fair amount of time.

Right now I am just offering the TV playing videos with no interaction. It loops though all the video that you put on the USB drive (either randomly or in sequence, your choice)

#157 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply! What are the dimensions of the TV enclosure? I think the style works well for Freddy, though I'm not entirely sure where I would mount it just yet. Ideally it would go above the existing TV target, but it could be a tight squeeze. Not opposed to placing it elsewhere though.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

Thanks for the reply! What are the dimensions of the TV enclosure? I think the style works well for FREDDY, though I'm not entirely sure where I would mount it just yet. Ideally it would go above the existing TV target, but it could be a tight squeeze. Not opposed to placing it elsewhere though.

I can get some measurements later when I get home, but I will still recommend placing it as far back as possible. It looks better the further you put it back because of the viewing angle on the LCD.

#159 4 years ago

Got mine in finally. Looks great, the only problem I noticed is I couldn't really see the screen from the far right side of the TV. It's the monitor that does this, like so many screens before it. Lol So I moved it to the right side of the cabinet so that angle doesn't exist any more. Lol love the mod and it has so many options for future ideas

// Error: Image 347935 not found //
image-739.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
#160 4 years ago
Quoted from Jrwill13lv:

Got mine in finally. Looks great, the only problem I noticed is I couldn't really see the screen from the far right side of the TV. It's the monitor that does this, like so many screens before it. Lol So I moved it to the right side of the cabinet so that angle doesn't exist any more. Lol love the mod and it has so many options for future ideas

Awesome! Thanks for adding the pics!

Yes, that is the one down-side with this display, hard to see from the right side. However I have had luck with tilting the screen slightly to the right so that spectators can see it from the right a little better, but it is still perfect from the players perspective.

#161 4 years ago

Finally got to test Version 2 in a TZ and in a TAF!

While looking at where to place it in the TAF, we found a new place to mount that I think will work perfect on most machines!

You can see on the TAF that I mounted it to one of the existing screws on the trim for the back of the playfield glass. I also twisted the bracket with pliers to face the TV screen to the right for a better viewing angle.

I will try this mounting method on a TZ, but I think it will also work just fine. That way there is no screwing into the backboard (for those that have plexiglass modded backboards).

#162 4 years ago

Pictures of the V2 in the TZ. V1 is on the right, V2 is on the left.

There was a couple of mounting options, so it will be up to you to decide where you want to put it. Most of them will probably require bending the bracket slightly to fit the mounting spot. For example the spot I have it mounted in the picture is angled down, this can be quickly adjusted by bending the bracket with some pliers.

If the display is mounted close to the back (such as where I have it pictured), then it looks fine with running the cables straight out the back.

I did find one place that you can easily run the cable though the playfield WITHOUT removing anything. Running the cable here will limit you to a small area where the TV can be mounted without seeing the cable from the player's perspective. This cable spot is pictured between the two back ramps.

Some mounting spots might need a longer bracket, so I will need to know where you intend to mount it so I know which hardware to include. I don't think I can include EVERY possible bracket that would be needed.. that is a lot of work that will go to waste... but I think I will include 2 brackets for free. Any additional would require a small extra charge.

(I left the top bracket on the TV in the picture, ignore that... the bottom bracket is the one being used.)

0118151531a.jpg 0118151531b.jpg 0118151517a-528.jpg
#163 4 years ago

OK now for the good stuff. Here is the new mounting spot in TAF!

Pictures are:
-how the bracket is bent
-mounting location on glass back channel screw
-how it looks in the machine
-new location for raspberry pi. in the backbox!

0118151707a.png 0118151705.jpg 0118151715c.jpg 0118151741a.jpg 0118151734b.jpg 0118151730.jpg 0118151721d.jpg
#164 4 years ago

Nice!

#165 4 years ago

I have the parts to get about 5 of the version 2 completed and shipped this week. I will be sending out PMs to those that I can ship to.

I will get some better pictures up when I can, and hopefully more info on possible mounting locations and hardware included. But I think in the end it will be up to the end user to choose one of my suggested mounting places or find/use your own.

Hopefully that will just mean bending one of my included brackets slightly to get the best position and routing the wires appropriately.

#166 4 years ago

Really busy this week, so i haven't had time to send any emails out, but I think for the first batch of 5 I will be including every possible bracket, then get some feedback from those that receive the TVs to see where they put them, and what positions they prefer.

I will have a PMs out... thursday evening, I think I have time then.

#167 4 years ago

Code version 1.14 will be shipping with all future orders. (version 1.11 and 1.12 were sent with all previous orders)

These are NOT huge changes, but if you already ordered one of my TVs and you want a code update, you have a few options.

1. Purchase another CzTV for a different pinball and I will include an extra SD card with the new code for free to drop into your existing CzTV

2. For the price of the SD card + first class shipping, I can ship you a new SD card with the new code that will drop into your existing CzTV

3. If you have an SD card reader, and you feel comfortable with burning an image to it, I can send you a link to download the image + directions. (the image is 1.5GB download)

Changes include:
-the splash screen showing the version number will be cleared from the screen after a few seconds. It now shows a blank/black screen in the few seconds between the end of the boot sequence and the start of the video.

-Removed login text after bootup sequence ends. This is to hide the "annoying" text shown in the few seconds between the end of the boot sequence and the start of the video.

-turned off unused programs on startup. Decreased start time by ~10 seconds.
-turned off system logging to prevent any potential messages from displaying on screen.

#168 4 years ago

Waiting for two people to get back with me on the first batch. If I don't hear from them I will offer them to someone else. Need to get them in any many hands as possible for feedback and testing mounting locations.

#169 4 years ago

Just waiting on Raspberry Pi cases to arrive before this batch goes out.

Still waiting to hear back from two people... I will offer them to others if I don't hear back.

I am including 4 different brackets as shown for this first batch so people can test out what they like best.

Next batch is waiting on more custom circuit boards to ship from china. Should have them in a week or so.

DSCN2284[1].JPG
#170 4 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

Just waiting on Raspberry Pi cases to arrive before this batch goes out.
Still waiting to hear back from two people... I will offer them to others if I don't hear back.
I am including 4 different brackets as shown for this first batch so people can test out what they like best.
Next batch is waiting on more custom circuit boards to ship from china. Should have them in a week or so.

DSCN2284[1].JPG 217 KB

Man O Man...what a top notch seller, just look at that.

#171 4 years ago

Just tested V.2 and wow what a cool mod. The install was very easy. It looked good in the upper right corner but since I dont have Robbie I put this more central for a better view. I will definitely be trying this out on a few different machines.

20150128_201145.jpg 20150128_195819.jpg
#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Just tested V.2 and wow what a cool mod. The install was very easy. It looked good in the upper right corner but since I dont have Robbie I put this more central for a better view. I will definitely be trying this out on a few different machines.

Thanks a lot for getting pictures up and finding a new place to mount it! I knew the bracket would have to bent a little for some of the possible mounting positions, hopefully it wasn't too hard and it will be easy for others to do the same if they want to mount it there.

Looking forward to see how it fits in some other machines!

#173 4 years ago

I did a final test of all the TVs ready to ship out, 1 ended up being a dud. Rest look great! I didn't have time to box them up tonight, but I will have them out after work tomorrow for sure now that they are all assembled/tested and ready to ship!

In the mean time, have a picture of the assembled TVs.

Also attaching a picture of a plastic support piece I just added for my custom circuit board sitting on the raspberry pi. When you plug in the TV cables it puts stress on the connector, this should prevent that.

0129150006.jpg 0128152327.jpg
#174 4 years ago

While waiting for more parts to build more TVs...

Throwing this idea around for T2. Making it an option to either use the TV to play the full move or this short animation loop in place of the plastic piece shown in the picture.

For the screen bezel, I am just thinking of doing a stainless steel boarder or chrome look. Just a plain metal border.

EDIT: heres the animation: http://giphy.com/gifs/technoir-film-cinemagraph-cinemagraphs-BOktOSfm4xjHi

0201151033.jpg
image-18.jpg

#175 4 years ago

Also, a quick comment on 2 concerns I have heard from feedback:

1. Glare on the display screen.

This will depend where you mount the screen. If you are getting glare from a specific light bulb on the playfield, you can angle the display slightly different by bending the bracket with some pliers. (I recommend taking the bracket off the TV before bending to avoid damaging the TV)

I will also investigate anti-glare filters for the screen.

2. How is the mod going to handle against flying ball hits?

Well, I just did a test on this, I took one of the displays with a factory defect, plugged it in, and threw some pinballs at it.

I am confidant in saying that it should hold up to a good number of normal flying ball hits. I dropped pinballs from a couple feet up, I tossed pinballs at it, I rolled pinballs at it, after all that the screen still looked the same as before. With the force used I was sure it would break..

After putting some oomph behind the throws from close range though, it did finally crack the screen.

I think it will be more likely to damage the casing of the TV before the screen takes damage.

Either way, it would be relatively cheap to replace one part or the other. Just let me know if it happens and we can investigate if it is bad placement that caused it and if it is going to happen to others with that machine.

I will try and put a thin piece of plexiglass in front of the LCD to see if it degrades the quality of the picture. That would give then screen an even better chance of survival.

#176 4 years ago

Man, ok I am going to need to buy several of these. I am working on a fit for JY today and was going to do my T2 next. It looks like we are on the same page on T2, I am making an acrylic case and bordering it with my diamond plate. Here is a pic of the T2 I will be testing this on. Great mod lots of good applications. I am not concerned about ball hits, the case takes the potential abuse but location of the mod is important. For those fitting this in TZ I would not worry.

20150111_201452.jpg
#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Man, ok I am going to need to buy several of these. I am working on a fit for JY today and was going to do my T2 next. It looks like we are on the same page on T2, I am making an acrylic case and bordering it with my diamond plate. Here is a pic of the T2 I will be testing this on. Great mod lots of good applications. I am not concerned about ball hits, the case takes the potential abuse but location of the mod is important. For those fitting this in TZ I would not worry.

Awesome! The diamond plate will definitely look nice in yours to match the back/sides.

Also, you really only need to make a faceplate, or faceplate+sides, not necessarily a whole case (unless you really want to).

I have a new mounting solution for the back of the LCD so you can screw the bracket directly into the LCD panel. This is intended to be used in situations like this when a faceplate is glued onto the LCD.

The first pictures show a prototype. The bracket will need to be bent differently depending on the game. I might need to try a wire bracket rather then the solid aluminum piece so it can be bent in different shapes.

That is also how I plan to mount TFTC with it's portrait frame faceplate shown in the last picture.

0201152103.jpg
0201152105.jpg
photo 2.JPG

#178 4 years ago

The V2 mods I sent out last week should be arriving soon, so I owe those people a guide to the mounting brackets I sent. I will try and get that together tonight. (what brackets go where, and what screws go where)

I am also going to be investigating using coat hanger-style wire to mount the mod in the future, so it is easier to bend, and can be bent in any direction.

#179 4 years ago

Alright, here is a breakdown of the different screws and brackets.

First picture shows what is included.

Feel free to mix and match and try different mounting locations, but here is what I am using these for.

Screws:
-The small/long machine screw fits the back of the TV.

-The larger machine screw fits the bottom of the TV.

-The sheet metal screw is to screw into wood, designed to be used for the top of the backboard.

Brackets:
-Bracket 1 is connected from the back of the TV to the top of the backboard. Use both of the included screws for this position.

-Bracket 2 is connected from the back of the TV to the playfield glass back channel. Use the existing channel screw to hang the bracket.

-Bracket 3&4 are designed to be use on the bottom of the TV. These can be used for any number of mounting locations on the playfield. Check out the pictures posted by Rock914 to see how he bent the #4 bracket slightly.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-tz-tv-mod-w-beautiful-video-playback/page/4#post-2208895

To get the TV in the angle you want, you may need to bend the bracket slightly. Remove the bracket from the TV before bending. It can be bent easily by using 2 pliers.

0202152204.jpg 0202152205a.jpg 0202152206.jpg 0202152208.jpg 0202152208a.jpg
#181 4 years ago
Quoted from kpull:

Very nice mod.
Keith

Thanks! I see you are local... you don't happen to be interested in a TAF TV mod?

Other pins you have in your collection that could also work are Dracula and Hook.

#182 4 years ago

A little teaser on the T2 and TFTC faceplates while I am waiting on the rest of the TZ v2 parts.

TFTC = portrait frame in silver or gold
T2 = brushed stainless box, though I might look into a chrome look.

0204152316.jpg

#183 4 years ago

Man I don't know how you do it.....you keep topping yourself.

#184 4 years ago

Hey bud u get that one last tv working yet ? Im really wanting it lol let me know thax

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Man I don't know how you do it.....you keep topping yourself.

A lot of help from others!

Quoted from bigd1979:

Hey bud u get that one last tv working yet ? Im really wanting it lol let me know thax

Parts are almost here! do not dispair! new circuit boards are in tomorrow, then I just need the displays... guess I should check on the tracking for those.

#186 4 years ago

Cool thanks finally put white clock face in with rgb leds looks sweet 20150202_125629.jpg

#187 4 years ago

Good guy bump for this thread.

I've got a V1 TZ here, and it's working great. Support has been flawless too (great software update). Awesome work. Thanks!

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Cool thanks finally put white clock face in with rgb leds looks sweet

Looking good! I see some room in there for a TV

Quoted from mnpin:

Good guy bump for this thread.
I've got a V1 TZ here, and it's working great. Support has been flawless too (great software update). Awesome work. Thanks!

Thanks! I am glad everything went well with the software update.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

Looking good! I see some room in there for a TV

Thanks! I am glad everything went well with the software update.

I have a box full I haven't put on yet as I wanna wait on your mod to do all the best placement

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I have a box full I haven't put on yet as I wanna wait on your mod to do all the best placement

Nice! You will defiantly have to send me a picture once all the mods are installed

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

Thanks! I see you are local... you don't happen to be interested in a TAF TV mod?
Other pins you have in your collection that could also work are Dracula and Hook.

Probably not at this moment. I think if it could play video based on switch inputs or CPU inputs, I would have to be in for sure. Maybe V.3? Along the lines of playing Mamushka video during that mode, that would be stellar.
But if you ever need access to a machine to help your cause, (mounting positions or whatever) let me know. Keep it up, they do look great.

Keith

#192 4 years ago

Can you incorporate this in a Judge Dredd? It would be cool if you could make it look like a billboard. Of course, JD3D would be playing.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from kpull:

Probably not at this moment. I think if it could play video based on switch inputs or CPU inputs, I would have to be in for sure. Maybe V.3? Along the lines of playing Mamushka video during that mode, that would be stellar.

I am slowly working on this for the next major feature, but no ETA when it will be done. Or if it will work out.

Quoted from kpull:

But if you ever need access to a machine to help your cause, (mounting positions or whatever) let me know. Keep it up, they do look great.
Keith

Thanks! I may need help with placement in Hook. I don't know anyone else around here with one. I will let you know if/when I do!

Quoted from Industen:

Can you incorporate this in a Judge Dredd? It would be cool if you could make it look like a billboard. Of course, JD3D would be playing.

Judge Dredd would be a good one if there is room in there. I will have to investigate. It sounds like a billboard would work for a couple of different machines too, so definitely on my list to make a prototype billboard case for it.

#194 4 years ago

I've been testing the mod before installation. Is audio included? It would cool to connect audio out from the RPi to play while the pinball is in attrack mode.

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

I've been testing the mod before installation. Is audio included? It would cool to connect audio out from the RPi to play while the pinball is in attrack mode.

Yes! You can enable audio by changing config.txt file on the usb thumb drive. There is a line enableAudio=false, change that to true.
Spelling might be different, but it is apparent when you look at the file.

2 things with audio, the TZ videos arent optimized for sound playback, audio might get cut off in the middle of speech between transitions.

Also the raspberry pi audio jack is not powered. So you need to connect to an audio audio amp to any speakers you connect.

I am using a 5volt audio amp to do this in one of my other projects.

#196 4 years ago

Only thing holding me back from finishing more mods is an order of LCD panels. Should be here by the end of next week.... I hope.

In the mean time, heres a pic of all the circuit boards ready for soldering. More pictures of the boards almost complete (minus LCD) later.

0207151405.jpg
#197 4 years ago

I cant take the waiting lol

#198 4 years ago

Waiting for a SS CZTV. I've been scouring the web for Elvira video!

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I cant take the waiting lol

soon!

Quoted from Toucanf16:

Waiting for a SS CZTV. I've been scouring the web for Elvira video!

Awesome, sending you a PM to ask you about your SS.

I got though most of the circuit board work over the weekend, but ran out of some header pins so I will have to finish them later this week.

Next I will be making up the wiring harnesses for power.

0208152218.jpg
#200 4 years ago

image-840.jpgimage-786.jpgimage-539.jpgimage-539.jpgimage.jpg

Here is where I put my tv mod

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 159.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 65.00
Machine - For Sale
Madison, AL
$ 209.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 50.00
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Machine - For Sale
Milbank, SD
$ 1,099.00
$ 5.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Machine - For Sale
Zamora, CL
$ 18.95
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 16.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside