(Topic ID: 105864)

CzTV video mod for any machine - full speed, high resolution, high viewing angle

By CraZyMuffin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200227_003819 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200227_003743 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200222_204256 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190211_014116 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191204_232234 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191203_212449 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200219_192851 (resized).jpg
IMG_2226 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_194333 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013308 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190729_013015 (resized).jpg
IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
IMG_2963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2196 (resized).jpg
IMG_2195 (resized).jpg
There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
#101 9 years ago

I just finished testing some videos encoded with Handbrake (free encoding software).

It definitely does output acceptable video for the mod. I cannot get it to encode at a high bit rate for some reason though.. to keep the near-perfect quality that I get from Adobe Media Encoder.

You can see some quality loss up close, but you would not be able to tell from far away.

I think this is going to be the best bet if you do not own Adobe Media Encoder, Adobe After Effects, or a similar product.

I will create a tutorial on the best settings to encode in.
Quick run down of the settings:
Picture tab:
-Width 320
-Anamorphic None
-Make sure Height is under 240, if not, then set to 240. Width will now be under 320, but that is fine.
Filters tab:
-everything off, Decomb set to Decomb. (you can play with these settings depending on the source video)
Video tab:
-Video Codec MPEG-2
-Framerate: Same as source
-Select Avg Bitrate: 8000
-Enable 2-Pass encoding

Start!

For some reason it doesn't matter how high I set the Bitrate, it outputs at about 1400kbps...
I did notice that the audio was super quiet after encoding, so this may not be the best solution if you need audio.

#102 9 years ago

Let me know if i can assist on Handbrake. Have been using it for years; and have had excellent results with it....

#103 9 years ago

One quick question. How are you dealing with the video offset? LCD screen is larger than the view we get through the Hallmark TV. Are you accommodating for that in anyway? I would assume that there would be some video cropping?

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

One quick question. How are you dealing with the video offset? LCD screen is larger than the view we get through the Hallmark TV. Are you accommodating for that in anyway? I would assume that there would be some video cropping?

I am not currently compensating for the offset.
I could do this in after effects, but in the end i decided not to worry about it becase the offset is so minimal is it not noticed most of the time. I only notcied it in one scene where they had a close up zoom of a newspaper.

I am not going to worry about it, but anyone adding their own video could compensate.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Let me know if i can assist on Handbrake. Have been using it for years; and have had excellent results with it....

As for handbrake, do you have any advice for getting higher quality mpeg video out of it?

It maxes out the bitrate really low, about 1400kbps

Maybe theres a setting im misssing

#106 9 years ago

Send me a PM and the settings your using. And what formats can you support? I usually stick with Mp4..........

Are you using a pre-set or defining each setting?

Need to know a bit more. Maybe show me a sample of your output.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Send me a PM and the settings your using. And what formats can you support? I usually stick with Mp4..........

Sure thing, I will send you more info and example footage when I have time at home tonight or tomorrow.

Best format I have found so far is MPEG-2, which in Handbrake the only selection for extension I see is .mp4, in Adobe I am able to select .mpg, though I don't think the extension/container matters as much as the encoding format.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

I was using a custom setting, so I could define the resolution restriction of 320x240, MPEG-2, and max bitrate at 8000.

I just did a quick comparison between Handbrake and Adobe Media Encoder... it looks like Handbrake knows what it is doing because they look almost identical. So I take back what I said. Looks like I am all set.

#109 9 years ago

Awesome. I've had great luck with handbrake. Encoded everything at home. The interface and settings are clunky, but once your over that; its great.

If i can help in anyway on this let me know.

#110 9 years ago

Just a quick update.

Working on more video clips this weekend. Not going as fast as I hoped, but lots of family stuff this weekend.

Also, my ebay sale turned out great. Here is a quote from the buyer (with his permission to pass this along)

"I have the TV installed, very easy install 5 minutes. Extremely easy to
work with and add or change mpeg videos even inverted mode, cool.
I am going to leave it programmed exactly the way it is, it's perfect. I
love the way you have it fade in and out to allow you to clip the
episodes down to mini episodes.
If I were to do anything, I would just add a larger USB drive and add on
to what you have built already, VERY, VERY happy with this mod, great
job !!!!!
Thank You very much for this mod, I love it."

Feedback like this is really getting me excited to get this out in more hands. I am still looking for constructive feedback too! (hopefully things within the range of possibility)

#111 9 years ago

I am just over halfway done on the episode samples I want to include. (22 out of 43)* So it is taking longer then I hoped, but I am still working on it as fast as I can!

I could send out what I have now, but I suspect most (if not all) would prefer to have as many as possible done and included...

#112 9 years ago

Crazy Muffin,

Add me to list of people wanting one. Sounds like it might be one from the fourth batch.

#113 9 years ago

Add me to the order list.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Crazy Muffin,
Add me to list of people wanting one. Sounds like it might be one from the forth batch.

Quoted from redmamanora:

Add me to the order list.

Thanks for the interest guys! I will add you to the list!

I updated my last post with a correction.. I am on 22 out of 43.

#115 9 years ago

I haven't heard from you but I should have been early on the list ?

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I haven't heard from you but I should have been early on the list ?

I have not sent out any PMs yet with a status update. sorry be really behind with getting the videos done. No time for sending messages out yet!

You should be in one of the first couple batches that I will send out at the same time.

My elves have 20+ tvs done now just waiting for me to get software side done before they are complete. They are making more every day too, so I expect to have 30+ ready by the time I am done.

#117 9 years ago

Please add me to the order list! Want one!

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from pxzel:

Please add me to the order list! Want one!

Sure thing! Thanks!

#119 9 years ago

I finished cutting up all video I want to include, now I just need to finish transitions. Should only take a couple of night's work max.

So I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel! I still need to send out PMs to everyone, I will be doing that over the christmas holiday.

I think this is the full list of episodes that make an appearance:
1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 27, 31, 35, 37, 40, 46, 47, 51, 52, 54, 55, 56, 59, 67, 69, 76, 87, 89, 90, 95, 97, 98, 103, 113, 122, 124, 126, 128, 130, 143, 144, 145, 147, 151, 153

You can match up the number to the "episode in series" number listed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Twilight_Zone_episodes

If you have a specific episode that is your favorite and you really want included, just message me (or you can add it yourself).

#120 9 years ago

Just finished watching though all of the video I generated, just to make sure everything looks good.

Next I will be making an inventory of all the hardware I have, need to get a good estimate on how many I can ship out this week.

I will post some important information shortly on the status of the project, and I will also be getting out PMs to everyone on the list.

#121 9 years ago

Looking forward to my pm!

#122 9 years ago

There are 2 versions of mounting to choose from. Please let me know which one you want. Prices listed are for those currently on the pre-order list.

Version 1:
-$170 shipped to US
-ribbon cable
-short length, large cable
-only mounting option is to screw into the top of the backboard.
-can be placed in the center (to the left of the clock) or on the right (to the right of the clock)
-in production and ready for shipping

Version 2:
-$180 shipped to US
-Cat5 ethernet cable
-longer length, smaller cable
-can be mounted at the backboard OR in the middle of the playfield, provided there is a cable hole that will fit the cat5 cable end.
-not ready for shipping yet, need to test placement options.

The ONLY difference between these versions are the cable used to connect the LCD screen to the raspberry pi. Everything else should be the same (LCD screen, software version, videos included, etc) So the only reason I would suggest holding out for a version 2 is if you do not want to mount the mod at the backboard.

After a quick inventory of all the parts, here's where I stand with the version 1.

-5 units are fully complete/tested, ready to go out today.
-10 units are near completion, will be ready for testing and shipment in the middle of this week. (need finishing touches on the TV case, then testing in a machine)
-18 units are near completion, will be ready in about a week. (need finishing touches on the TV case, also need power cables and LCD screens soldered)
-30 units will be ready after that. parts take about 2 weeks to come in, so figure 3 weeks before they can be shipped. (TV cases are almost complete, but need to order more LCD screens and other hardware)

So I will be asking for payment on the ~23 version 1 units that I can ship out within a week or so.

For version 2, I have a prototype unit made that I need to test in a machine to check placement options. Until I test that the cable will fit, I will not be starting production on more of them.
-I have parts for 8 of these, they could be finished in about a week after production is started on them.

For those who want to be put on the version 2 list, I will keep you updated on the production status.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Because I am including footage from the original TZ episodes, I highly recommend that you purchase the Twilight Zone Complete DVD collection if you do not already own a copy.

I can include a new and original box set with your purchase at actual cost + $5 for the paypal fees and additional shipping costs.
http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Complete-Episodes-Collection/dp/B00EEEHLKU/ref=sr_1_1

I also want to point out the limitations of the mod again, in case you missed it in an earlier post.

-The viewing angle on the LCD screen is not very good. The screen looks perfect straight on (for the player), but anyone standing on the RIGHT side of the pinball machine will have a hard time seeing the screen (too dark). On the LEFT side of the machine, the screen is brighter, but still viewable. There is no issues on the TOP and BOTTOM of the screen, so it does not matter how tall/short you are, you will still be able to see it just fine. I will be investigating using a possible new LCD screen in the future.

-After letting the device run overnight I noticed that the video frame rate was lagging slightly. It was hardly noticeable, but it was there. A quick restart of the device and it was back to full speed. I don't think most users will have this issue, but if you normally run your machine 24/7 and you see the screen is lagging, just power the machine off/on and it will be back to normal. I will investigate this as a possible software upgrade in the future.

-the Raspberry Pi still takes about 30 seconds to boot up when power is turned on. I will investigate software upgrades to solve this in the future.

#123 9 years ago

I just sent out a PM to the top 21 people on the list. Apparently that is my 24 hour limit for new PMs. I will send another batch of PMs out tomorrow night.

EDIT: I also cannot respond to PMs anymore, so if you respond to me, I will get back with you tomorrow

#124 9 years ago

I am getting questions about the difference between Version 1 and Version 2.

I will upload some pictures...

Essentially the only difference is that Version 1 can only be placed at the backboard. The mounting bracket will be attached from the top of the TV to the top of the backboard.

Version 2 will have a longer/smaller cable (allowing it to pass though the playfield holes), and the mounting bracket will be attached from the BOTTOM of the TV to an existing mounting point on the playfield, such as a ramp screw or post screw.

Either way it will use the same bracket, the difference is placement at top or bottom of the TV case.

Version 1, notice the short cable and position it is mounted.
V1.jpgV1.jpg

Version 2, longer cable which will HOPEFULLY pass though the wire holes in the playfield.
V2.jpgV2.jpg

This is not my mod shown here, but it is an example picture of how the version 2 could be mounted.
329619-i.png329619-i.png

#125 9 years ago

All PMs have been sent out!

If you did not get a PM, but you still want in on this batch for the pre-order price, this is your LAST chance! Price will be going up a little once I am in full production.

I am expecting some people to drop out or not respond right away, so there should be a couple left that I can ship out this week or next.

Thanks all who have responded so far!

#126 9 years ago

Thanks to all those who have responded! If you haven't, please get back to me at your convenience, even if you do not want it anymore.. so I have an accurate count.

Tomorrow I will be spending my day off work packing up and creating shipments for all those who have paid so far.

Tonight is time to party!

#127 9 years ago

You mentioed TAF being a possibility?

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from jeff_286:

You mentioed TAF being a possibility?

Yes sir! The next pins I will be bringing this mod to will be TAF and TFTC. I will be making an official announcement post as soon as I have some extra time after shipping out some of these TZ mods that have been paid for.

TAF will be using the same TV case and mounting options, so all I have to do is get some video together and test placement options in a friend's machine.

TFTC will be using a new faceplate that is ready for production, also a different mouting method, and Harvs here on the forums has already helped me out with creating some video for it.

#129 9 years ago

Add me to the list. This mod looks fantastic.

#130 9 years ago

How about the walking dead ?

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Add me to the list. This mod looks fantastic.

Great! Thanks for the interest! I will send you a PM.

Quoted from Delta9:

How about the Walking Dead ?

I will be working on more machines shortly, now that I have the basic hardware and software done. All that needs to be done for new machines is some sample video clips and a case for the LCD that fits the theme.

The hard part is finding something that fits the theme of the pin and fits the size of the LCD. If you have an idea for TWD, I am all ears.

#132 9 years ago

Juat a black tv would be great ill order asap ill drip blood on it with a zombie head on top of the tv

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Juat a black tv would be great ill order asap ill drip blood on it with a zombie head on top of the tv

hmmm, interesting. so you mean a black TV like a standard looking TV with a black bezel? with blood dripping down it of course.

That would probably fit other pins with small modifications. I will have to think on it.

10 TVs were sent out this weekend. If you want version 1, I still have a couple left ready to ship!

Attached some pics of a batch ready for shipping. Also a picture of TVs finished for the next batch!

0104152131.jpg0104152131.jpg 0104152131b.jpg0104152131b.jpg
#134 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

hmmm, interesting. so you mean a black TV like a standard looking TV with a black bezel? with blood dripping down it of course.
That would probably fit other pins with small modifications. I will have to think on it.
10 TVs were sent out this weekend. If you want version 1, I still have a couple left ready to ship!
Attached some pics of a batch ready for shipping. Also a picture of TVs finished for the next batch!

Anything you come up with im sure would be aussom

0104152131.jpg 71 KB

0104152131b.jpg 73 KB

#135 9 years ago

Received and installed the TZ TV today. Thanks for the speedy shipping. installation was extremely straight forward and easy. Booted right up and it looks great. This is a well done mod that is a great addition to a great game. Thanks for making these available at a fair price. Maybe my scores will improve if I concentrate on the TV instead of the game.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from redmamanora:

Received and installed the TZ TV today. Thanks for the speedy shipping. installation was extremely straight forward and easy. Booted right up and it looks great. This is a well done mod that is a great addition to a great game. Thanks for making these available at a fair price. Maybe my scores will improve if I concentrate on the TV instead of the game.

Great! I am glad you like it and that everything went well with the install!

#137 9 years ago

Put me on the list! Want one

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Put me on the list! Want one

Awesome! I will send you a PM.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from redmamanora:

Ditto on all of this! Took all of 5 mins or less to install. Looks great! I've gotten a number of compliments on it already - including "O.M.G!" Thanks for the great build!

#140 9 years ago

Please add me to your list.

#141 9 years ago

Can you please add me to the list for version 2?

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpin:

Ditto on all of this! Took all of 5 mins or less to install. Looks great! I've gotten a number of compliments on it already - including "O.M.G!" Thanks for the great build!

Great to hear!

Quoted from jazzmaster:

Please add me to your list.

Quoted from SuS:

Can you please add me to the list for version 2?

Sure thing! I will send you guys a PM.

#143 9 years ago

Success at 4 feet!

That brings me 1 step closer to version 2. Now I just need to get it into a TZ machine to test placement of the cable and the mounting point.

I also found a case for the Raspberry Pi that should fit nicely with my custom circuit board on top (with slight modification)

I will try and get up more pictures later of the TV case with bottom and back mounts. Also of the raspberry in it's new case.

0109152027.jpg0109152027.jpg
#144 9 years ago

Great, cant wait to see the results. Looking forward to receiving version 2!

#145 9 years ago

Just PMed for v2 as well. Incredible job on this.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Great, cant wait to see the results. Looking forward to receiving version 2!

Hopefully I won't keep you waiting too much longer!

Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Just PMed for v2 as well. Incredible job on this.

Awesome! Thanks for your interest!

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

Hopefully I won't keep you waiting too much longer!

No worries, take your time and get it right!

Looking forward to your mods for some other pins (Scared Stiff and The Addams Family, hint, hint!)

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

No worries, take your time and get it right!
Looking forward to your mods for some other pins (Scared Stiff and The Addams Family, hint, hint!)

TAF is definitely coming very soon. Hmmm, I will have to add Scared Stiff to the long list!

Attaching pictures of the assembled Version 2.

This shows the Raspberry Pi case and also the new mounting options for the TV.

If you want to mount Version 2 to the backboard or a high mount point, I have the bent piece of metal screwed to the back of the TV.

If you want to mount to a lower point on the playfield, There is a flat metal piece screwed to the bottom of the TV.

I plan to ship the Version 2 TVs with the hardware for both mounting solutions, so you can choose the option that works best for you (and switch between options at your leisure).

0111151927.jpg0111151927.jpg 0111151941.jpg0111151941.jpg 0111151942.jpg0111151942.jpg
#149 9 years ago

Your attention to product detail is fantastic.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your attention to product detail is fantastic.

Thanks! I will pass the compliment along to my father who has helped me out a lot with this project. He is retired and has the patience to do all of the work on the TV cases to get them ready for the mod.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-tz-tv-mod-w-beautiful-video-playback/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.