Latest update 2/10/2019: Production has started on a new and improved version of my mod! This version has a new higher quality display with 2x the resolution and a high viewing angle. I am also near completion on a Munsters version of my mod as my standard TV fits perfectly with this machine's theme and the original videos look amazing! I have also been given the idea to include trailers from related tv shows and movies on my mod, so I will be trying this out with my other current and future themes.
Latest update 3/10/2018: Production is still going strong on my mod. I have many themes available for shipping immediately. If you do not see the pin theme you want, contact me and I will make it! I have a new version of the software out, makes the video playback better in all ways (smoother, better sound support, faster boot, longer runtime). All new TVs sold will include this software, if you already have my mod (Version 2 or above), I can ship out a new SD card to upgrade your existing mod to version 4.1.
I have made this mod for a lot of different themes, and I am adding more every day! If you dont see your machine listed, reach out and I will see what I can do!
Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Dirty Harry, F14 Tomcat, Highspeed, Indiana Jones Williams, Indiana Jones Stern, No Good Gophers (and Teed Off), Space Station (and other space shuttle/space station themes), Terminator 2 and 3, Tales From the Crypt, TMNT, Waterworld, XFiles, Scared Stiff, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Freddy: Nightmare on Elm Street, Hurricane, Jurassic Park, Sopranos, Munsters, RoboCop and more!
I currently have 4 different cases available for the mod: Standard old TV case, Antique picture frame (gold or silver), CRT monitor. Blood Splatter is available as an option for any case.
Version 1: Discontinued.
Version 2: Discontinued.
Version 4: Discontinued.
Version 5: Cost varies by pin, check my store here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1076-cztv-mods
If there is interest in more will I continue to make them and improve them. (it looks like there is! Thanks all for the support!)
VERSION 1 IS FINISHED AND IN PRODUCTION - 10/11/2014
-Raspberry pi computer
-8GB SD card for the operating system
-2.8" LCD full color display, 320x240 resolution (model HY28B)
-custom TZ boot animation
-boots directly to video
-video configuration for looping a sequence of video clips OR randomized clips
-audio output (pre-amp)
-old TV case for the LCD display, looks great in pinball machines with old TV show themes (TZ, AF, etc)
-LCD secured in the TV case with hot glue
-mounting bracket for TZ
-back panel slot cut for the ribbon cable to pass though
-back panel of TV secured on
-power cable to tie into pinball 5v power line
-16GB USB thumb drive for video storage and configuration settings
-tested power in machine
-finished software error handling, display common errors and solutions on LCD screen
-just under 4 hours of TZ sample clips
Finished features for version 2 release - 6/11/2015
-smaller cable running between raspberry pi and the LCD. This will make it easier to run the cable in the middle of the playfield rather then only against the back wall.
-LCD adaptor board includes screw mounting holes to make it easier to attach to new faceplates
-additional placement options in machine
Version 3 (Prototype of version 4 really..) - 11/13/2016
-Raspberry Pi Zero support!
-All hardware for the mod fits into the TV case. No more external wires/board.
-Single cable for power
-continued audio support
-additional LCD cases to fit with other pin themes (Picture frame for TFTC and Elvira)
-smoother video playback
Version 4 - 3/30/2017
-Custom interface board between raspberry pi and the LCD
-Cleaner/more reliable connection for power, USB, and audio
-cleaner audio (added additional hardware to filter noise)
-Adjusted bracket location for better mounting options
Version 4.1 software update - 3/10/2018
-Updated software on SD card and raspberry pi
-smoother video playback
-better sound support
Version 5 - 2/10/2019
-New high quality IPS LCD display
-High viewing angle
-Updated software on SD card to support new display
-smoother video playback
Unfinished features slated for expansion board
-some interactivity with the game (this will hopefully be backward compatible with all versions with an upgrade kit)
I realize this has been done before, so it is not exactly new.. but I did not like the options out there currently for sale so I have been working on my own version of the TZ TV mod for a few years now.
-Why did I make this?
I just purchased a TZ machine without mods, so I was looking at my options. I liked the TV mod with the slide show, but it was lacking for a couple reasons.
1. It is only a slide show, no video.
2. The LCD does not actually fill in the whole plastic TV model... you can see the frame (UGLY!).
3. The price!!! Just wow! ~$180-200 for about $20 in parts and a couple hours to figure out how to put it together?
I saw that someone made a limited run of these TVs with full video in them (though not available for sale anywhere), so I started looking at how I could do this myself.
-How did I make this?
I will detail exactly how I did this in a future post. Check the pictures for now. I may even sell discounted kits if anyone wants to tackle the hard work themselves and save some labor costs.
-How is this different from other options?
1. This mod uses a raspberry pi to process the video and display to the LCD. This opens up infinite possibilities for using this mod and customizing it to how you like it.
2. Sound output is available!
3. There is very little or no delay moving from one video to the next.
2. It can drive any size display. I am currently using a 2.8" LCD because it fits perfectly in the TV housing.
3. The displays have a very small bezel and circuit board around the edges, so you do not need a large bezel to hide the edges and take up your playfield real estate.
4. It can hold countless of hours of video on large USB drives or even external hard drives. I plan to make a personal edit of all "action" scenes and "iconic" scenes from Twilight Zone TV series. This is completed and currently ~4 hours long.
5. Custom software can be created to do anything, from using external input devices to control it, to controlling other mods, lights, servos, etc.
6. Custom and pre-made hardware can be connected to the pi like cameras, wi-fi, sound, etc.
7. Ability to connect with the pinball machine for interactivity. (which I plan to do in a future revision with a super cheap upgrade kit)
8. The end user can very easily configure the video content themselves. You simply plug the USB drive into your computer and place videos into the appropriate folders. There will also be a configuration file where you can specify things like if you want to play the videos in order or randomize them.
9. Sound and video output is built in. There is a pre-amp output for sound. There is also HDMI and composite video output so you can display the video on a bigger screen in addition to the one provided.
10. The possibilities are endless, I am starting small and I will add additional features as necessary.
I want to make it clear that I am not selling any copyrighted video with my work, however I may includes "samples" on the USB drive, or point buyers to where they can find appropriate sample videos online to download.
-How does it look?
It looks amazing! Pictures and video will not do it justice. The display is a full-color LCD display at 320x240 resolution. The encoding I used for the video looks perfect. You can see very few flaws in the video even close-up.
-This looks like it would be amazing in other pins, are you offering the TV for any other machines?
Yes! I have made it for these pins in the past: Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Dirty Harry, F14 Tomcat, Highspeed, Indiana Jones Williams, Indiana Jones Stern, No Good Gophers (and Teed Off), Space Station (and other space shuttle/space station themes), Terminator 2 and 3, Tales From the Crypt, TMNT, Waterworld, XFiles, Scared Stiff, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Freddy: Nightmare on Elm Street, Hurricane, Jurassic Park, Sopranos, and more!
It will also fit into any other machine as long as you can tie into the power and find an appropriate mounting point. I have power taps available for many platforms, just ask! I also plan on using different LCD sizes and finding other cases to place the LCD inside to fit the themes of other games.
-When will this be available
I have mods available for shipping! I am making new batches all the time. Check out the latest posts for the current progress.
-And what about the cost?
I want to offer this amazing mod to as many people as possible, so I am trying to price it low enough so it is affordable and low enough so people will not decide to go with an inferior option (such as the slide show TV). Originally I was thinking of pricing it fairly high, considering the high price of the slide show model. However with the recent release of other TV mods (though inferior to this mod!), I have decided to keep the price low compared to my material and labor costs. I don't stand to make much after the price of hardware, but I do feel this is both fair to me for the amount of work that goes into them, and also I hope it is fair to you. The price of my mod has stayed about the same since I have started making it, even though it has come a long way since the initial release.
It was very tempting to try and get a lot more for it, but I love this pinball community and some of the people I have purchased from on these boards have been just super, so I wanted to do the right thing and give back to the community with a cheap but amazing mod.