• No 24 votes
    52%

(46 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

Just heard on the way into work that there will be a new Indiana Jones movie in 2020 (might have to call him Geriatric Jones at this point! ) I was a big fan of the first three movies. . . the last one not so much. Moments were ok but I don't care for Shia LeGoof. The movie was more or less done for me when he started swinging on the vines with the monkeys in the jungle chase scene. . . oh, and then there was the spaceship.

Anyway, wonder what era (60's, 70's?) and relic (family values, the gold standard, cheap gasoline, etc) they will have Indy chase after. . . AND wonder if this will inspire a new IJ themed Pin?

#2 6 years ago

Hopefully they will find a good replacement for Harrison Ford as "Indy". Shia wasn't it.

#3 6 years ago

I heard that to. Disney also released the date of the next star wars movie. May 24th 2019. if i'm not mistaken. sorry i was it's the 23rd

#4 6 years ago

This was announced like two years ago. It was supposed to come out in 2019 and now I guess they've pushed it back a year? It will star Harrison Ford who will be coming in hot on 80 years old.

So, anybody want to try their hand at bad Indy title jokes?

IJ and the Last Early Bird Buffet
IJ and the Crystal Candy Bowl
Raiders of the Lost Barcolounger
IJ and the Senior Community Center at Temple of Bnai Torah

#5 6 years ago

Should be 1969 if they follow in real time like they did between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull.

Vietnam, Moon Landing, Woodstock, Nixon.

Possibilities are endless.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully with Lucas removed from the story process, Spielberg can redeem Indy.

I did like they first half of the movie very well. It just went too goofy and CGI in the 2nd half. Aliens themselves weren't the issue with Crystal Skull.

#6 6 years ago

They've gotta have someone younger than Harrison Ford as the main character - he's got to be the older dad, but he could be very significant. It would be awesome if he could do as well as Sean Connery did - he nailed that role.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I was a big fan of the first three movies. . . the last one not so much. Moments were ok but I don't care for Shia LeGoof. The movie was more or less done for me when he started swinging on the vines with the monkeys in the jungle chase scene. . . oh, and then there was the spaceship.

Quoted from T7:

Hopefully they will find a good replacement for Harrison Ford as "Indy". Shia wasn't it.

I never cringed at an Indy movie before the 4th one.

http://screenrant.com/12-reasons-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-screwed-up-indiana-jones/?view=all

4 years later
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Should be 1969 if they follow in real time like they did between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull.

Reviving this old thread as Sinestro would win an award. . . if he was still an active member.

A couple pics from the current movie set.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Apparently Indy can still ride a horse. . . or at least his body double can.

#9 2 years ago

Not that I'm too excited for this film - Harrison Ford made it through about 4 days of filming before injuring himself and getting sidelined for 2 months - but it's kind of sad how EVERYTHING is photographed, filmed, and IGd now. Seems like they can't film a scene of this turkey without dozens of images from every shoot surfacing online.

Even Stern is better at stopping leaks! We already know this movie is gonna feature a moon landing parade and various Nazi flashbacks...just like Pinsiders' insatiable urge to know the next 5 games being released, I don't understand what we gain by learning this stuff.

#10 2 years ago

Well pretty sure companies still don't release new pinball machines for new movies so...

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't understand what we gain by learning this stuff.

Sorry Levi, I was not trying to ruin the surprise for you. I was just impressed with the prediction of the moon landing era.

As for Indy riding horses. . . well he did that in the other movies too. OK, so in Temple of Doom he rode an elephant. Maybe not a horse in the Crystal Skull either, I think he rode on the back of a hog in that one. I don't remember that movie as well.

Oh, and I did not know about the Nazi Flashbacks. I guess we are even.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems like they can't film a scene of this turkey without dozens of images from every shoot surfacing online.

That's one of the drawbacks of on-location filming. Bystanders are everywhere--not only at street level, but also inside buildings surrounding the set. It's impossible for a crew of PAs or security guards to police all that. Their main concern is keeping everyone off the set and clear of the equipment, actors, and crew, rather than trying too hard to maintain secrecy of what's being filmed.

A couple months back, Owen Wilson did some location filming in my town, and photos of that were everywhere.

If filming was taking place on a studio set, you probably wouldn't be seeing anything at all.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's one of the drawbacks of on-location filming. Bystanders are everywhere--not only at street level, but also inside buildings surrounding the set. It's impossible for a crew of PAs or security guards to police all that. Their main concern is keeping everyone off the set and clear of the equipment, actors, and crew, rather than trying too hard to maintain secrecy of what's being filmed.
A couple months back, Owen Wilson did some location filming in my town, and photos of that were everywhere.
If filming was taking place on a studio set, you probably wouldn't be seeing anything at all.

Yeah, it just seems more prevelant than ever!

My folks were on vacation and took some
Pics of Arnold and Devito In their matching suits filming Twins, that was pretty cool I’ll admit. But it showed up in an envelope
From the photo kiosk and didn’t make it into the international media!!

1 year later
#14 1 year ago

Indiana Jones 5 is coming out in 2023. I see a new IJ pin on the horizon for sure. It will be interesting to see who will get the license and what they do with it.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Floyd:

...I see a new IJ pin on the horizon for sure....

God Stern screwed the pooch on theirs; so mayne redemption time?

11 months later
#16 8 months ago

Six years ago I started this post.

I saw the "Indiana Jones 5" this evening at our local theater.

How time flies!

No spoilers here, but I did like it better than the fourth one. . . even though that is not saying much.

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Six years ago I started this post.
I saw the "Indiana Jones 5" this evening at our local theater.
How time flies!
No spoilers here, but I did like it better than the fourth one. . . even though that is not saying much.

I am excited to see it!

#18 8 months ago

I liked it. Good old fashioned fun.

Ran a little long, some of the action could have been cut down. Absolutely pointless cameo by Salleh.

Good capper for the series. All the good Indy movies have Nazis in them.

#19 8 months ago

Dial of Destiny is the Indy movie we SHOULD have got in 2008 instead of Crystal Skull. Harrison was the right age then to cap off the series.

This is not a terrible movie. It's not amazing, either, but I wouldn't listen to all the reviewers who seem to think referencing Indy's previous adventures is somehow bad.

#20 8 months ago

These "I didnt hate it" reviews are encouraging. I didnt hate crystal skull. While the bad out weighed the good it had its moments, and didnt estrange me from the franchise like the phantom menace.

#21 8 months ago

I saw it on Friday. It is not a good movie, but miles better than Kingdom of the Crystal skull. The first 20 mins take place in 1944, which is the best part of the film. Lots of plot holes and loose threads, and about 30 mins too long IMO.

6/10. (Kingdom was 4/10)

Rankings:
1. Last crusade
2. Raiders
3. Temple of doom
4. Dial of destiny
17. Kingdom

#22 8 months ago

Harrison Ford is such a presence….

#23 8 months ago

Just watched it

I think it is on par with Temple of Doom. Not to the level #1 or #3 but waaay better than 4

#24 8 months ago

Looking forward to it and glad you guys are positive about it. Harrison was a big bummer in Solo, so glad to hear he didn't bomb this one.

#25 8 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Looking forward to it and glad you guys are positive about it. Harrison was a big bummer in Solo, so glad to hear he didn't bomb this one.

Huh? I don't think Harrison was in Solo. It was some guy 40 years younger playing Han Solo.

#26 8 months ago

A worthy sequel bringing the franchise to close so nicely coming full circle! Harrison is so impressive! Honestly I can't think of anyone else pulling this off. Maybe Tom, but first he's gota live that long and watching some behind the scenes from the next couple MI movies im not convinced yikes!

1 week later
#27 7 months ago

I agree with the sentiment here. Liked the new Indy movie enough, wasn’t great, but certainly didn’t embarrass the franchise or disrespect the character.

#28 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Just watched it
I think it is on par with Temple of Doom. Not to the level #1 or #3 but waaay better than 4

I think this is a great way to put it.

#29 7 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

I agree with the sentiment here. Liked the new Indy movie enough, wasn’t great, but certainly didn’t embarrass the franchise or disrespect the character.

Now that this movie's been out a few weeks and it's already flopped hard, I think it's fair to unleash some spoilers on you bastards.

I thought it was a really good movie. I'd rank it above Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull. Something about Indy and Nazis just clicks. And I LOVED the ending, though I really though they should have just left Indy back in Syracuse here he wanted to stay. He's a relic, he belongs there!

There's a couple very annoying things that keep it from being a great movie:

What was the point of the whole "INdy framed for murder" subplot? It was introduced quickly, and then immediately ignored. I'm pretty sure murder suspects - even in 1969 - couldn't just jump on an international flight from the city that is seeking them on a murder charge. Seems like this plot element never should have been introduced, or, should have at least been wrapped up in one way or another with a newspaper headline or something.

The other thing is the character of the CIA Lady who they kill off before the third act. She was a potentially interesting character who they should have kept around. She could have tied up a LOT of loose ends - they never really explain why the CIA is in cahoots with this Nazi guy. Were the simply humoring him in helping find the Dial as payback for his moon program help? Had he convinced them that the US government could use the Dial and were looking to acquire it themselves? None of this is ever really explained and it's all super muddy.

Having that character in the third act could have cleared all of this up, plus she could have made a good ally for Indy, and her character also could have been used to put the whole "Indy framed for murder" plotline to bed satisfactorily.

So I'm going with good, not great, movie. I really enjoyed it, there's lots of great stuff in it, and it belongs in the cannon as a satisfactory final chapter. It's unfortunate that at this point, all these years later, and after the super shitty Crystal Skull, nobody really seems to care any more.

#30 7 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now that this movie's been out a few weeks and it's already flopped hard, I think it's fair to unleash some spoilers on you bastards.
I thought it was a really good movie. I'd rank it above Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull. Something about Indy and Nazis just clicks. And I LOVED the ending, though I really though they should have just left Indy back in Syracuse here he wanted to stay. He's a relic, he belongs there!
There's a couple very annoying things that keep it from being a great movie:
What was the point of the whole "INdy framed for murder" subplot? It was introduced quickly, and then immediately ignored. I'm pretty sure murder suspects - even in 1969 - couldn't just jump on an international flight from the city that is seeking them on a murder charge. Seems like this plot element never should have been introduced, or, should have at least been wrapped up in one way or another with a newspaper headline or something.
The other thing is the character of the CIA Lady who they kill off before the third act. She was a potentially interesting character who they should have kept around. She could have tied up a LOT of loose ends - they never really explain why the CIA is in cahoots with this Nazi guy. Were the simply humoring him in helping find the Dial as payback for his moon program help? Had he convinced them that the US government could use the Dial and were looking to acquire it themselves? None of this is ever really explained and it's all super muddy.
Having that character in the third act could have cleared all of this up, plus she could have made a good ally for Indy, and her character also could have been used to put the whole "Indy framed for murder" plotline to bed satisfactorily.
So I'm going with good, not great, movie. I really enjoyed it, there's lots of great stuff in it, and it belongs in the cannon as a satisfactory final chapter. It's unfortunate that at this point, all these years later, and after the super shitty Crystal Skull, nobody really seems to care any more.

Yeah, I agree with all of this... I found both of those to be distracting and lazy storytelling. They never even explained why the CIA was even involved. How did they not know the guy they were working with was a Nazi? It feels like something was chopped off during the edit.

Speaking about it bombing.... that is probably the most baffling part. While it doesn't rise to #1 and #3.... it certainly is an entertaining movie. It is flawed, but most movies have flaws. I consider myself to be a pretty tough movie critic... but I enjoyed it... and I have kicked around the idea of seeing it again at the theatre. It is just odd that a pretty decent movie, in an iconic franchise, can't break even.

#31 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

It is just odd that a pretty decent movie, in an iconic franchise, can't break even.

A nearly $600 million total marketing and production budget will do that.

Also it seems like people just don't like going to the movies as much as they used to. Mission Impossible was supposed to crush and it's just doing decent.

#32 7 months ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Also it seems like people just don't like going to the movies as much as they used to.

Yup.

#33 7 months ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

A nearly $600 million total marketing and production budget will do that.
Also it seems like people just don't like going to the movies as much as they used to. Mission Impossible was supposed to crush and it's just doing decent.

I am not sure if IJ5 will even make back it's production budget. However, 12 months ago I would have guessed IJ5 would have a worldwide gross of over $1B.

Maybe I am out of touch, but I consider the IJ franchise >> MI

#34 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Maybe I am out of touch, but I consider the IJ franchise >> MI

MI is a current franchise that never stops rolling. IJ is coming back after a HORRIBLE sequel like 10 (?) Years ago.

#35 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

How did they not know the guy they were working with was a Nazi? It feels like something was chopped off during the edit.

That's not too odd - everybody knew he was a (former) Nazi. Nazis helped put Americans on the moon and I'd assume this character was based upon real former Nazi scientists. 1,600 former Nazis were working for the US government after the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

But right, they didn't satisfactorily explain why the CIA was in cahoots with him in the search for the dial, nor why they put up with him killing American civilians left and right. Even if she half-assed tried to get him to stop.

#36 7 months ago

Streaming my friends.

I could go to the theater and watch it, but I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be mind blowing ( and I can keep a beef aboot Shia for decades!!). Or I can wait a little while on watch it in 77" HDR in my house for D+ I already have. Of course im older and don't NEED to get out as much.

My wife and I were bitching the other day the local theatre doesn't even have the show times or movies playing on the marquee anymore. Like, whom the fuck just happens by a movie anymore

#37 7 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's not too odd - everybody knew he was a (former) Nazi. Nazis helped put Americans on the moon and I'd assume this character was based upon real former Nazi scientists. 1,600 former Nazis were working for the US government after the war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

Didn't know that!

#38 7 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Streaming my friends.
I could go to the theater and watch it, but I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be mind blowing ( and I can keep a beef aboot Shia for decades!!). Or I can wait a little while on watch it in 77" HDR in my house for D+ I already have. Of course im older and don't NEED to get out as much.
My wife and I were bitching the other day the local theatre doesn't even have the show times or movies playing on the marquee anymore. Like, whom the fuck just happens by a movie anymore

Yeah but Top Gun Maverick killed it... same with Avatar. I guess because it is a more A/V experience?

Ironically (wait.. this isn't irony... so it is coincidentally), I watched IJ5 at the Cinemark Imax in Ypsi/Ann Arbor - I thought that it added the experience

I guess the movie industry didn't talk to the record industry about how streaming... uhh... changes consumer patterns.

#39 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Yeah but Top Gun Maverick killed it... same with Avatar. I guess because it is a more A/V experience?

I have no concrete answers. Mackerick was recockulusly bad and Avatar just carries massive following for reasons waaaaay beyond me. I get Maverixk was end of pandemic-ish but Avatar whom knows....Cameron Magic! And BTW I think it cleared 500 mill?
I only go to eMagine in Saline now unless I have to.

#40 7 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Speaking about it bombing.... that is probably the most baffling part. While it doesn't rise to #1 and #3.... it certainly is an entertaining movie. It is flawed, but most movies have flaws. I consider myself to be a pretty tough movie critic... but I enjoyed it... and I have kicked around the idea of seeing it again at the theatre. It is just odd that a pretty decent movie, in an iconic franchise, can't break even.

The early "meh" response after the Cannes premiere went a long way towards killing the box office take here. Cannes was the wrong venue for this, and it hurt Indy hard.

Disney also dropped the ball with this franchise. The second they acquired it, they should have been producing a show, an animated series, several video games, etc. They needed to keep it fed and alive, not poke its emaciated corpse a decade later.

Lastly, their insistence on not recasting Indy is baffling. I love Harrison, but this absolutely is a role that should be passed on. What they SHOULD have done for Dial is told a dual story in time - old Indy played by Ford, and a re-cast Indy in the past. Have them searching for the same artifact in two time periods to rectify one of Indy's greatest failures/regrets. Eventually use the time travel element to have them meet up and work together to solve the mystery (shades of the father/son relationship from Last Crusade). If they wanted to, they could even have old Indy nobly sacrifice his life to save his younger self. Continue series with new actor, tell infinite new stories.

#41 7 months ago

I thought the 1989 Last Crusade movie ended everything on such a high-note.

I'm baffled why anyone thinks there are more than 3 Indy movies.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-indiana-jones-movie?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.