compare2 (resized).jpg
compare3 (resized).jpg
winter preview (resized).jpg
32117733-6F9D-404E-A508-3ACF69DBE755 (resized).jpeg
mystery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190124-045918_Gallery (resized).jpg
Gibranx (resized).png
IMG_5665.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jam_Burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Dennis Nordman asked me to make one when I was in Colorado for the show, I kinda passed on it because of twisted pins. What happened exactly that they couldn't produce it??

The original stamp for the lenticular effect was lost. Twisted Pins seems to have trouble reproducing the effect of the original using a reproduction stamp. Apparently the whole process is a dying art.

#21 8 years ago

What I think would be really cool is to have the original look but with more of a 3-D effect. I'm just brain storming here but either having the "White Water" letters being truely 3-D shapes and somehow having the water affect flow out from them, or maybe just having everything look more 3-D.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Does everyone want the word White Water in the topper? Very important question.

I don't see any way around it.

(1) The topper is the "marquee" for the game so it needs to have the title.

(2) If you pay for the licensing you can keep the some basic design elements to tie the topper in with the existing design but also "one up" the original design. The more I look at the original the more it hits me that it would be super cool to have a 3-dimensional model of some sort. Not only was the original drawn to look 3-D, but the depth fits really well with the game design. The game is pretty much a giant diorama. Why not have the topper be the same? Some type of model mountiain with the letters intergrated and doing a fresh twist on the running waterfall effect would be like breathing new life into the original design.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

This is what the topper will have in it.
3D Whitewater Logo Cast Molded hand painted in it's slanted position attached to a LED Lit Panel with etched and cut mountains across the top
3D Printed full color artwork Background
Molded boulders
Molded Center translucent water fall that will be bolted on in between White and Water and layers of white and blue leds flickering underneath it for effect.
Printed Eagle
Laser cut trees
I'll post any updates here as we move along, we are having the art resized and drawn now.

Haha! Dude, that is bad ass!

3 months later
#142 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Bump. this and the 3d translite are on my watchlist.

Wait, what 3D translite?

5 months later
#157 7 years ago

Man, I'm highly skeptical the foil repro is ever going to happen. There have been so many attempts and so many failures. It seemed like the design you guys were working on was going to be the best option, and maybe even cooler than the original in some ways. It's too bad the 3-D mold project was cancelled.

2 years later
#262 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Dennis was interviewed on Head to Head last year and remembered practically nothing about it, including who made it. He would be of no help.

There's a thread on Pinside about a pinsider tracked down the vendor who made the effect and the plates (or whathaveyou) were lost.

Good luck to you Gibranx! I can't remember how many people have taken up the challenge but nobody has figured it out yet!

2 weeks later
#308 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

Teaser
I'm uploading comparison videos ...
whereas the work done to date was without ever having seen the original ...
Can I say that my little waterfalls have a better movement than the original?
It seems so to me!

You probably already know this but keep in mind that bubbling on the foil can greatly affect the waterfall effect.

3 months later
#372 4 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

PPS through the official Italian partner Pedretti Gaming they offered me assistance and support for whatever I needed. Pedretti Gaming has all the original pieces and can also carry out modifications on the curved structure, for example, on my instructions.

Great work on this! Also, please be careful about people (especially people who are not lawyers) giving you legal advice online, regardless of what "side" they are advocating for. As a lawyer, I can assure you that no repectible legal council would advise you on something like this without investing time and effort meeting with you and analizing the law. Anyone doing anything otherwise is being reckless and that's not in your best interest.

Anyway, sounds like you are making progress and having fun regardless. Good luck and salute!

#379 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Im really curious.
How many really dont have any topper, or how many dont have an original topper?
Would love to see poll on this.
How many are truly needed?
Or, are we also including the full restore crowd in this poll?

I think the big issue is bubbled toppers. They just aren't that pretty. I'm really lucky to have a nice one but the majority I've seen have big bubbles, wrinkles, or are really faded.

4 months later
#397 4 years ago

Gibranx, if you pull this off it's going to be one for the history books. So many have tried and failed.

3 weeks later
#407 4 years ago

Wow. Nice!

5 months later
#431 4 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

With permission from WILLIAMS / PPS
Copyright WILLIAMS / PPS
Not for sale.
As I promised you, I will update you on the work in progress.
I'm finishing a small portion test of the topper, to see if I can get it done by a machine. It's all recreated on the computer and it's a grueling job.
I have faithfully recreated the bubbles from the original, now I miss completing the part of the water that falls from above.
This is, in my opinion, the best method to obtain a virtual copy of the original topper, line by line, impossible to recreate by hand with my previous technique.
This means that if I did the math well and if everything goes well, I could achieve a faithful result, I believe 95% of the original.
Next steps:
Finish the water that drops in the 10x10 cm sample test.
Have the test file engraved with various thicknesses / depths to find the correct value that gives the best results, based on the laser.
We'll update in 15 days.
Know that it is a long job to do all this.[quoted image]

This is astonishing work. So cool! I really hope this gets done (even though it will devalue my really nice original topper).

4 months later
#455 3 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

So the question is this.
I have the sequence of handmade lights and when I ordered the bulbs they didn't send them to me like the originals.
This video is made with the led light of the smartphone. If you see in my videos on Vimeo, you will notice old tests where I had made everything with another material almost identical to the original.
There the light reflected better. Now maybe I try to do a test with the old material, above all to understand if it is good for a mass production.
Returning to your initial question, I have already done some tests with the lights on this waterfall.
They didn't satisfy me 100%. Maybe with led lights it would be, absurdly, better? Or should I also use lights at the top as a frame? Or is it the fault of the material?
I can tell you that technically it is very similar to the original, from the test with the smartphone it behaves almost identically. (Technically 100%, from the artistic point of view there are differences)
I have to understand if the problem is the material or my lights.
Or the fact that having made it by hand I did something wrong.
I want perfection!

Maybe somebody has a spare light board so that you can hook it up and simulate how it would work in game. But now that I think about it, I don't know how hard it would be to get the light board working without the rest of the PCBs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jam_Burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ideas-for-white-water-topper?tu=Jam_Burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.