compare2 (resized).jpg
compare3 (resized).jpg
winter preview (resized).jpg
32117733-6F9D-404E-A508-3ACF69DBE755 (resized).jpeg
mystery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190124-045918_Gallery (resized).jpg
Gibranx (resized).png
IMG_5665.JPG
There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 8 years ago

The dream ream eam eam m m

2 weeks later
#152 7 years ago

I keep coming back every few weeks.. Any enthusiasm for this out there?

#153 7 years ago

I'm definitely still interested. Not that it's done me any good so far

#154 7 years ago

This one comes pre-modded with blue leds at China Gifts.

tabletop_fount_(resized).jpgtabletop_fount_(resized).jpg

2 months later
#155 7 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

We are using the same art, nothing different. Whats different is the White Water, waterfall and raft are in 3D molds

Any pics to show us now?
Or does the tease still remain?

#156 7 years ago

The project has been cancelled. I have heard that someone is trying to make the foil again so we have stopped working on this.

#157 7 years ago

Man, I'm highly skeptical the foil repro is ever going to happen. There have been so many attempts and so many failures. It seemed like the design you guys were working on was going to be the best option, and maybe even cooler than the original in some ways. It's too bad the 3-D mold project was cancelled.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Man, I'm highly skeptical the foil repro is ever going to happen. There have been so many attempts and so many failures. It seemed like the design you guys were working on was going to be the best option, and maybe even cooler than the original in some ways. It's too bad the 3-D mold project was cancelled.

I still have a good feeling that another group (Pinball Dreams in Germany) may be able to take this WH2O topper project on and come up with a WH2O topper that is well received. I emailed Henrik Maurer of Pinball Dreams a couple of weeks ago regarding this topper as a potential project and his response is below.

'YES - we're already into the waterfall foil project....will be a tough one but if we produce them it will be surely something different that the foil which is currently available '

FWIW, Pinball Dreams successfully created reproduction holograms for CFTBL and also is creating the 3-D translites that are now sold by PPS. Both of those projects have been very successful so I do have confidence that if anyone is capable of pulling off a WH2O topper reproduction that they can do it.

Gord

#159 7 years ago

Hi Gord thanks for the heads up. If you could send me a pm if you know of anything going on sale regarding this I'm definitely interested. Tough luck on the Laseriffic topper idea, I was really excited about it. Hopefully something comes through one day. I still think someone could have a big market with a reproduction even if it wasn't anything like the original design. I suppose mine will remain unfinished until then ?

#160 7 years ago

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel - so to speak.

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Pinball Dreams successfully created reproduction holograms for CFTBL and also is creating the 3-D translites that are now sold by PPS.

I thought the CFTBL 3D translight was out, especially with licensing issues per Rick.

I purchased the 3D Whitewater Translight... I really like it. I would buy CFTBL in a heartbeat

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I thought the CFTBL 3D translight was out, especially with licensing issues per Rick.
I purchased the 3D Whitewater Translight... I really like it. I would buy CFTBL in a heartbeat

Hi Kerry,

I don't know about a CFTBL 3-D translite as I was speaking about the other 3-D translites (AFM, WH2O, MM) that have been created by Pinball Dreams.

I agree with you though, I will buy a CFTBL 3-D translite in a heartbeat as well if they are ever created. CFTBL even says 3-D right on the translite so it would be a perfect fit.

Gord

#163 7 years ago

If they can do Monster Bash. Why would they not be able to do CFTBL?

5 months later
#164 7 years ago

Any rumors of pinball dreams working on something for the whitewater topper?

2 weeks later
#165 7 years ago

Brueller?

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

If they can do Monster Bash. Why would they not be able to do CFTBL?

I haven't heard of them doing a MB (licensing issues maybe?). They did make a MM though.

6 months later
#167 6 years ago

a lot of talk but I still have yet to see someone produce this.

2 weeks later
#168 6 years ago

Teekee used glitter on his, it's probably a little better than that crummy attempt at a remake a few years back. Here's mine.

Attach71361_20170808_192043 (resized).jpgAttach71361_20170808_192043 (resized).jpg

#170 6 years ago

Small sequins might be better than glitter.

Those old Sparkletts signs on the bottled water trucks seemed to provide a similar moving water effect.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Small sequins might be better than glitter.
Those old Sparkletts signs on the bottled water trucks seemed to provide a similar moving water effect.

It was the movement of the big metal sequins that then reflected the light that really did it.

1 year later
#172 5 years ago

work in progress i find the correct method to reproduce the waterfakk effect.

Added over 5 years ago:

I publish these images/video according to the law in force in Italy
Legge 22 aprile 1941 n. 633 art. 70 - 1 bis

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

work in progress i find the correct method to reproduce the waterfakk effect.

Your vid is only 2 seconds long.

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your vid is only 2 seconds long.

I see there is this one under his postings:

#175 5 years ago

Ill trade mine for a working pin.

#176 5 years ago

Sorry for the video is only 2 second short, on youtube click right mouse button to check loop feature.

here the discussion about my challenge

https://arcademania.eu/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29622&start=80

in the next month i work every day and night to making this.

i have found the right method to reproduce the waterfall effect, the emboss method is wrong and cant work (similar to my old video)

the approach is a different method based to a better technique to move light refraction on the foil.

sorry for my terrible english!

for now im working hard to make a more complex test.

#177 5 years ago

It's a loop because I created a system to simulate the light bulbs in my style, with a mask that moves manually, so I had to make a video like that (I'm not a cyborg!)
The result is not the same, but there is, as it is a test done so, let's say incomplete and incorrect.
The movement of the water should be more downward, but it was not possible to do it, technically now, in this way.

As soon as I get home I try a variation that, if my calculations are correct, should make the water fall.

the video is small because I added a layer a few cm in size, so the video is so close.

Already the next should be, I hope, better.

Added over 5 years ago:

#178 5 years ago

Here my second test,

my little test put in a compositing to see the final effect

There is still a lot of work to do but we are starting to see the first results!

Added over 5 years ago:

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

Here my second test,
my little test put in a compositing to see the final effect
There is still a lot of work to do but we are starting to see the first results!

I understand, I believe, where you are heading with your Lenticular work.
I hope you succeed, as many would LOVE a solution.

It has been my hope, with time, to complete a conversion that uses lit roller waterfall boxes from
a generation ago that come in many styles and run around $30.
I was going to shorten the graphic height and roll and remake box.

Maybe someone else will be inspired too.

#180 5 years ago

Thanks!
but is not properly a lenticular work.

one solution about lenticular work is to use H3D System printing.

In this case, i think, is possible to make a layer whith a high range of frame for a smooth animation.

But this topper use other "old" techonology

In this week my friend (he have an original topper, my test are made whitout this) help me whith macro picture of the topper.

This is important, for me , to understand how the light and shadow is forced to move.

#181 5 years ago

Awesome stuff! you'll have a decent number of buyers, i'm sure. I see a ton of originals with a big wrinkle.. and i imagine there's a decent number of guys like me with none.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

Thanks!
but is not properly a lenticular work.
one solution about lenticular work is to use H3D System printing.
In this case, i think, is possible to make a layer whith a high range of frame for a smooth animation.
But this topper use other "old" techonology
In this week my friend (he have an original topper, my test are made whitout this) help me whith macro picture of the topper.
This is important, for me , to understand how the light and shadow is forced to move.

I assume that you have already seen this video or one like it, but here it is anyway for your reference.

Gord

#183 5 years ago

Hi grb!
thank you for the reference!
can help my on this very hard challenge?

Can you make a very close video of the topper in action? From distance of about max 10 cm from camera?????
You have original #194 bulb o led version?

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

Hi grb!
thank you for the reference!
can help my on this very hard challenge?
Can you make a very close video of the topper in action? From distance of about max 10 cm from camera?????
You have original #194 bulb o led version?

I have original 194 incandescent bulbs in the topper. I had previously tried to use LEDs in the topper, however you lose much of the waterfall effect with LEDs.

I tried to get more of a macro view of the topper in action which is below. As you can see when I get closer in the macro view the images become somewhat fuzzy and out of focus.

Gord

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It has been my hope, with time, to complete a conversion that uses lit roller waterfall boxes

I love the original WhiteWater topper and don't even own the machine. Mesmerizing for me to look at, just like a lava lamp.
I was thinking the same thing, those animated waterfall pictures could be a viable solution. Do you own one and could share some info on its interior design and the translight?

#186 5 years ago

Thank you Gord!

fishbone
the original topper is only a printed foil.
The animation is made by light bulb sequence.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

Thank you Gord!
fishbone
the original topper is only a printed foil.
The animation is made by light bulb sequence.

I know. I was referring to the animated picture OLDPINGUY posted. T

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

I love the original WhiteWater topper and don't even own the machine. Mesmerizing for me to look at, just like a lava lamp.
I was thinking the same thing, those animated waterfall pictures could be a viable solution. Do you own one and could share some info on its interior design and the translight?

Yes, I bought 2 different ones from Ebay at around $20-$30 each.
They come in a handmade Maple or Birch wood box.
Inside are old incandescent "Christmas" type bulbs and a roller mechanism, with printing
on an acetate sheet, that revolves around in a loop.
They do look like amazing waterfalls.

I have 2 thoughts/directions...both involve altering these.
One involves adapting to have areas work with the existing graphics we all know in
the printed topper....cutting out waterfall areas to let this mech show the water,
and the other is to leave the mech intact, and add Whitewater elements...boulders, rafts,
bigfoot in front to "blend" the theme and cover that which doesnt relate.

Both are on my List of Wild Custom Toppers, I hope to dive into when the dust settles here....

In any case, I think all of us would Love any cool topper we could find, and I hope someone else might
see my vision, or another, to help this great game!

2 weeks later
#189 5 years ago

this is my current work in progress and just one idea for a modding solution (its possible for me to create also a winter edition of this...)

best view in hd 720p on youtube

Added over 5 years ago:

#190 5 years ago

work in progress

its very very hard to recreate this topper.
Its made by aliens???

i hope, in the next months, to find a solution to make better waterfall effect.
Because the original have hologram print inside to give the illusion of many frames.

Added over 5 years ago:

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

work in progress

Its made by aliens???
Because the original have hologram print inside to give the illusion of many frames.

LED bulbs make it hard to create the effect, too

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

I think your heading in the right direction.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibranx:

work in progress

Its made by aliens???

Good direction. Don't use LED.

#194 5 years ago

big news!

the waterfal coming to move correctly....it is a light question!

i have buy today #194 bulb, but i not have pinball and light board....damn!

Added over 5 years ago:

#195 5 years ago

looks like you got it, or at least very close.

#196 5 years ago

it's truly amazing how this topper is so hard to replicate. This day and age where you can 3d print a gun and shoot someone, good ol white water topper still trippin people up. Crazy

#197 5 years ago

im very very happy to show this, after very hard crazy work for my mind, night and day!

is a test to see if i am on a right way....

Added over 5 years ago:

#198 5 years ago

Yeah, I'd really love to hear the story behind the topper from Dennis Nordman or someone who was there. I can't think of another machine where this done, so how did they even figure out to use stamped foil, where did they make it, how many prototypes did they go through, etc. I've looked but haven't found this in depth anywhere online. There are loads of stories out there, though, about remaking the topper and then they just fade away after giving up.

Quoted from delt31:

it's truly amazing how this topper is so hard to replicate. This day and age where you can 3d print a gun and shoot someone, good ol white water topper still trippin people up. Crazy

#199 5 years ago

I'll add that a decent topper (at minimum) was a dealbreaker for me when I was buying my WH20 and I hope this latest effort works out for those who need it. I honestly do sometimes between games just stand there in the dark admiring the effect.

#200 5 years ago

The Beta 4 video looks good! Curious how it will look with the sequencing lights.

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ideas-for-white-water-topper/page/4?hl=dantesmark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.