compare2 (resized).jpg
compare3 (resized).jpg
winter preview (resized).jpg
32117733-6F9D-404E-A508-3ACF69DBE755 (resized).jpeg
mystery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190124-045918_Gallery (resized).jpg
Gibranx (resized).png
IMG_5665.JPG

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone,
I've been in contact with Joe at Laseriffic about coming up with an alternative to the original White Water topper. Like many, I have a formerly routed machine whose topper has succumbed to theft, vandalism, or alien abduction. I've followed the market and haven't found original toppers in decent shape or near reasonable prices and it sounds like Twisted Pins is dead in the water. Joe's work is pretty amazing and he's done toppers for other games that look phenomenal. So, my question is whether anyone else is interested in one of his custom toppers. He has said that copyright isn't an issue so it could be as close to the original as possible but I'm also interested in concepts for unique toppers, Joe has said that he can produce just about anything we/the community can come up with. Look up Laseriffic on YouTube for some of his creations. Any ideas or direction would be appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

Why not use an LCD screen with a video of a waterfall built into the original dome?
LCD screens are only about $50 so the cost of parts overall should not be prohibitive.

You could cut a piece of a video and run it on a loop:

#3 8 years ago

I have an idea to replicate the running water effects of the original, but it would require one of the reproductions as a donor.

#4 8 years ago

I'm not sold on the LCD concept but that's just personal taste. I know others have mentioned it but I haven't seen any end product for how they look. I really like the look of the Laseriffic toppers, I just can't imagine the LCD having the same pizazz.

#5 8 years ago

There are those tacky backlit pictures my mother in law has.. They're usually some sort of a landscape with moving water effects. Something like that may look alright for our purposes.

Personally, I would want something that at least mimics what the original looks like. What technology is used to recreate that (lcd, or whatever) is fine with me.

#6 8 years ago

We put people on the moon but we can't recreate a sticker that was fabbed up in the early '90's.... Its almost as if these stickers arrived here in a DeLorean. Created by future technology that we cannot comprehend.

#7 8 years ago

Most pins include the name of the game on the translite. But WhiteWater and Addams Family do not - the name is on the topper instead of on the translite. I think any updated WhieWater topper should still include the game's name incorporated in it.

#8 8 years ago

Well I wasn't going to mention this but I have dragged in Matt from Back Alley and Joe from Pingraffix to work on this with me. I asked the OP not to mention it but I got confirmation from both guys that they are in. If you guys can dream up what you would want I am plenty sure us 3 can get it done. It can be close to the original or something completely different and off the wall.. let us know we are all following this thread now.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Most pins include the name of the game on the translite. But WhiteWater and Addams Family do not - the name is on the topper instead of on the translite. I think any updated WhieWater topper should still include the game's name incorporated in it.

If it was me doing it, I would use the the original sticker and cut out the part where the waterfall is located and put the LCD in that opening. That way you still have the original art with the exception of the foil part.

#10 8 years ago

A reproduction of the original would be swell. Hopefully you guys can do what twisted pins failed miserably at.

#11 8 years ago

http://www.vicgi.com/animation-effect.html

Could make it even better than the original.

#12 8 years ago

I would be in for sure. I've been trying to replace one that was stolen for years. I just need to get something up in my dome. Close to original as possible is good for me.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks for chiming in Joe, happy to hear everyone is on board. I think this will get quite a buzz in the community. I'm favoring something "loosely based" on the original but a topper with a Laseriffic flare to it. I'm excited to see what everyone else has to say

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

I just need to get something up in my dome.

Any good psychologist could tell you that. No one wants an empty topper.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Any good psychologist could tell you that. No one wants an empty topper.

Too true...an empty dome is the worst thing ever. At one point I thought about putting my vintage Six million dollar man Bigfoot action figure up there having sexual relations with Barbie...I just need something in the dome!

#16 8 years ago

I am still amazed it took this long for someone to jump on this opportunity. I cant wait for whatever Joe, Matt and you guys come up with!

#17 8 years ago

Dennis Nordman asked me to make one when I was in Colorado for the show, I kinda passed on it because of twisted pins. What happened exactly that they couldn't produce it??

#18 8 years ago

A PROPERLY made WH20 decal kit, support plastic, and dome.
The last repo one made was a$$, and I cannot believe maker is still selling it.
He knew it did not function or look right, but did passed it on anyway for a buck.

Not cool.

For a while you actually could find some NOS ones floating around, but they are mostly gone now.

#19 8 years ago

Well, there are reputable people on this project, so while it may very well be impossible to create an exact reproduction, I'm confident they can come up with something close (or better) that we'll all be happy with. And if not, I don't expect that they'll do their best to pass it off as acceptable while pouring mt dew on their keyboard (I have to assume Travis drinks Mt Dew, it's the preferred drink of the dullards).

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Dennis Nordman asked me to make one when I was in Colorado for the show, I kinda passed on it because of twisted pins. What happened exactly that they couldn't produce it??

The original stamp for the lenticular effect was lost. Twisted Pins seems to have trouble reproducing the effect of the original using a reproduction stamp. Apparently the whole process is a dying art.

#21 8 years ago

What I think would be really cool is to have the original look but with more of a 3-D effect. I'm just brain storming here but either having the "White Water" letters being truely 3-D shapes and somehow having the water affect flow out from them, or maybe just having everything look more 3-D.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Mt Dew, it's the preferred drink of the dullards).

I lol'd at that.

#23 8 years ago

Slap an old Hamm's Beer sign up there (the ones with the waterfall effect) and call it a topper.

#24 8 years ago

That's a pretty cool idea Jam

#25 8 years ago

Another way to get that great motion effect is to mimic the design from an old Hamm's motion beer sign. I have restored several. They're pretty darn simple inside. The technology is not beyond us.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Slap an old Hamm's Beer sign up there (the ones with the waterfall effect) and call it a topper.

Beat me to it.

Use that tech for a new, custom WH2O topper. It would look glorious and still retain a mechanical, not-too-modern charm. I'm dead serious.

#27 8 years ago

This one looks nice:
www.youtube.com/watch?t=5&v=FeyYRw5iSDs

#28 8 years ago

If we're not bound by replicating the original Williams foil gimmick - this thing can likely get done. And if it's cool, it will sell like hot cakes.

#29 8 years ago

Here are two ways to do it:

Sign #1 has a static scene with a rotating scroll behind it creating the motion effect

Sign #2 has a rotating scroll with a static screen behind it. The rear screens in both are just clear with black, vertical lines.

I think the static scene is probably best for this application, but either on has potential. The effect is is beautiful and way more impressive in person. I have much fondness for these old Hamm's signs.

I'm sure someone with art skills can create a great scene with rapids going through a canyon and incorporate the White Water logo. Maybe Back Alley can mold some 3d rocks and/or cliffs to go with it. Mechanicals hidden behind. Clear dome on top. All done.

Mark my words. If someone pulls this off I will buy a WH2O.

#30 8 years ago

i agree King

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Sign #1 has a static scene with a rotating scroll behind it creating the motion effect
» YouTube video

I picked up a 1970s wood box with several waterfalls in Motion and sound.
Well the sound is nothing but there is a large acetate reel spread by two wooden dowels on motors,
so the scroll and motion is stunning, better then the original.

adapting it to the same size plastic topper is a bit harder, it doesnt fit in its current structure.
I even picked up smaller ones. So, I know it can be done...either with the skill to rearrange the mechanism, or a larger
Topper. It was my hope to simply place this behind one with the cutout.

Now I need time, and strength.

These are found on Ebay for about $10-$20

ebay.com link: Waterfall Motion and Sound Wall Hanging Light

ebay.com link: FIRST MOUNTAIN Waterfall Motion Framed Desktop Picture with Light Sound

#32 8 years ago

That would be right after waiting years for Twisted I gave up and sold the WH20.
It would be fantastic to see these come to fruition. Joes toppers are awesome.

The static version is the better IMO as well in norcalrealtors post.

#33 8 years ago

It should be REAL WATER flowing, why emulate it ?!... MAKE something cheap that water actually flows down with the logo / title in backdrop... Have a raft busting through the flowing water in the backdrop etc...

like these things that are $57 bucks...
http://www.houzz.com/promo/20363915?m_refid=PLA_HZ_20363915&device=c&nw=g&gclid=CNHyz6mvtsgCFcQUHwodwoAG-w
mrclean_whitewater_idea.jpgmrclean_whitewater_idea.jpg

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The problem with that is that the old Hamm's motion beer signs sell for more than the WH2O toppers.

ebay.com link: 1958 Hamms Motion Beer Sign

I agree that they are pretty cool though.

Gord

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

It should be REAL WATER flowing, why emulate it ?!... MAKE something cheap that water actually flows down with the logo / title in backdrop... Have a raft busting through the flowing water in the backdrop etc...
http://www.houzz.com/promo/20363915?m_refid=PLA_HZ_20363915&device=c&nw=g&gclid=CNHyz6mvtsgCFcQUHwodwoAG-w
mrclean_whitewater_idea.jpg

I'd hate to see when the cup runneth over.

Real water = Bad for pinball

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

LCD screens are only about $50 so the cost of parts overall should not be prohibitive.

Can you send me a link to one of these $50 lcd screen?

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Can you send me a link to one of these $50 lcd screen?

ebay.com link: sch

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

You have to be %#$ing kidding me.
You better be joking here, if not feel free to put this on YOUR machine and I will stand back and watch people play it with it on top.
Plastic fountains on pinball machines is just another example of "bad pinball toppers"
Why?
Pinball+Water = Disaster

#40 8 years ago

Matt and I have been talking about this and we are going to get together soon. We have a few ideas already and hope to have a prototype by Christmas or sooner.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I picked up a 1970s wood box with several waterfalls in Motion and sound.
Well the sound is nothing but there is a large acetate reel spread by two wooden dowels on motors,
so the scroll and motion is stunning, better then the original.
adapting it to the same size plastic topper is a bit harder, it doesnt fit in its current structure.
I even picked up smaller ones. So, I know it can be done...either with the skill to rearrange the mechanism, or a larger
Topper. It was my hope to simply place this behind one with the cutout.
Now I need time, and strength.
These are found on Ebay for about $10-$20
ebay.com link » Waterfall Motion And Sound Wall Hanging Light
ebay.com link » First Mountain Waterfall Motion Framed Desktop Picture With Light Sound

How is the sound generated?

#42 8 years ago

I dont remember....I might later..One of the ebay pictures shows the speaker.
These are newer, Japan?

The one I have is in a wooden box. German made, I think,

Its rolling water. Some others have Birds too

#43 8 years ago

Had a college roommate who had quite a few Hamms beer electrical promotional items, the sign with the scrolling effects was one of them. I'm amazed they are going for $1000, although I didn't check Ebay to look for completed auctions.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

» YouTube video
Sign #2 has a rotating scroll with a static screen behind it. The rear screens in both are just clear with black, vertical lines.
» YouTube video
I think the static scene is probably best for this application, but either on has potential. The effect is is beautiful and way more impressive in person. I have much fondness for these old Hamm's signs.
I'm sure someone with art skills can create a great scene with rapids going through a canyon and incorporate the White Water logo. Maybe Back Alley can mold some 3d rocks and/or cliffs to go with it. Mechanicals hidden behind. Clear dome on top. All done.
Mark my words. If someone pulls this off I will buy a WH2O.

Wow! These are beautiful. I have a decent topper, but I would consider switching it out if this actually came to be.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

ebay.com link

Thank you. Those would be really good to integrate into something.

#46 8 years ago

Does everyone want the word White Water in the topper? Very important question.

#47 8 years ago

Given it is missing on the translite, I would vote yes.

#48 8 years ago

Also yes

#49 8 years ago

Yes - that's very important; the topper on the WH20 is what identifies the title of the game

#50 8 years ago

Yes, certainly.

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ideas-for-white-water-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.