(Topic ID: 249177)

New idea for hanging and lighting a Backglass

By Luckydogg420

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191009_095343 (resized).jpg
    20191009_095329 (resized).jpg
    20191009_095313 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I found this YouTube video of a guy ripping apart broken lcd panels to repurpose the innards into lighting panels.

And I immediately though about using this design for hanging a Backglass, or possibly even a movie poster. I’d assume once you get the filter layers removed from the lcd panel, that you could cut them to size and just build a new frame to match.

The key to this design is the light diffuser layers in the panel. Next time I see a large broken tv on the side of the road I might pick it up and give this a try.

#2 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing those look awesome...I’ll probably try this too.

#3 4 years ago

I picked up a free TV today to give it a whirl. I "lucked" out and got one with CFL bulbs which means I need to figure out how to recycle them. I've sorted my parts into electronics, plastics and metals (like in the video) but I'm not sure what if any my recycling center will take. The joys of living in a small town.

The acrylic back panel in the one I got is more like a frosted sheet than what he showed in the video. Not sure how evenly it will light when all is said and done. I mocked up with some cheap 5v LEDs and I could still see hot spots. I need to get some 12v and see if that makes a difference.

I'll probably keep a hold of the PCBs and work on my desoldering skills.

#4 4 years ago

Home Depot will take your cfl bulbs if you have one near you

#5 4 years ago

That's pretty sweet. Too bad I tossed my Samsung monitor (bad) a few mths ago.

#6 4 years ago

Cool! A light diffuser panel is a must. If you can get LED strips on two sides shining towards each other through the light guide diffuser panel, you'll be golden. It works really well on the frames I sell. Look forward to more pics!

1 month later
    #7 4 years ago

Well, it just so happens that a friend from work had an unfortunate accident with a 70" screen. The lcd panel literally bounced out of the frame as it landed on his floor.

The panel lights up still, so I'm going to try and mount a poster or translight. I'll probably need to cut the light diffuser panel down and make a new frame to match. But step 1 is done; acquire a broken screen.

20191009_095313 (resized).jpg20191009_095313 (resized).jpg20191009_095329 (resized).jpg20191009_095329 (resized).jpg20191009_095343 (resized).jpg20191009_095343 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-idea-for-hanging-and-lighting-a-backglass- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.