4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Luckydogg420
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6F1DABDC-E7C1-4E4F-ABA6-E6BCA20E19D0 (resized).jpeg
    SomeoneElse (resized).jpg
    SomeoneElse2 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6725 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6724 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6723 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6722 (resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    sketchup_(resized).png
    basement_(resized).png

#1 4 years ago

So after a long time looking, and deciding to relocate an hour away from our current city, we've found a house. My wife and I are super excited to start this new chapter in our lives. Obviously pinball is a big part of our lives so finding a house with a good spot for it was important.

Our new house doesn't have the most ideal basement. The ceilings are 82.5 inches in the room we think would work for pinball (the 'storage' area on the attached floorplan is the room I had in mind. Direct access to the bulkhead. the ceiling has been plastered over a bit in this room). I'm curious about what others have done with lower ceilings? I was thinking that there'd be a line of games running along the right wall. The room at the bottom is the mechanicals and is unfinished but that might be a good candidate for the 'workshop'.

I'm downloading sketchup now so I can get an idea of what the best games layout would be. Thanks for any feedback!

basement_(resized).png

#2 4 years ago

It's official, I have a sickness. That sickness is pinball

sketchup_(resized).png

#3 4 years ago

I'd probably change the swing of that laundry room door. Have it hinged by the stairs and swing into the laundry room. But that's just me. Not really an important thing, I just wouldn't like having it open toward that post. Assuming the box is a post. The exterior staircase door would be nice to hinge at the laundry room wall side, but would be harder to do with an extirior door.

Having the pins along the right wall is probably the best idea if you have a big collection and want them to be the focus of the game room.

Are you planning a bar area? I'd put it on the wall with the laundry room, starting at that post and curving up toward the exterior staircase. Make sure to leave enough room to get games in. If you didn't want a bar space, I'd put a MAME or other arcade along that left wall.

Another thought would be to divide the pins on the top and bottom walls then the center of the room would be more open for a sitting space.

What other games are you thinking? Fooseball, bubble hockey, crane machine, Skeeball?

Looks good so far. I love these build threads.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Looks good so far. I love these build threads.

Thanks Luckydogg, I'm not 100% what we'll have in a dream scenario. I'm still well far away from any sort of build out but I think planning never hurts. I think the room will fit 6 or 7 pins comfortably. When the finishing of the basement becomes a reality the utility/storage space will probably split in half and one or two more games go there, along with a mini shop so I can pull a game out and work on it separate.

I am interested in one arcade cabinet, although I am not sure which one yet. Probably a classic nintendo, neo-geo or other standalone.
    I would love a CD jukebox. Something from the 80s/90s, coin-op... and I would fill it with a rotating set of my CD collection.
    I am not interested in redemption games at this time. My neighbor has a skee ball machine which is cool but since the game room is mostly for me I don't think those would last a long time in my collection.

So yeah, 7 pins, 1 arcade, and 1 juke. I think that's my tentative plan. I have 4 pins now but not all are in my house so we'll see.

And yes, that box is a pillar holding the house up

2 months later
    #5 3 years ago

We finally moved. And the tallest game I own, Taxi with topper, fits with an inch or so to spare. Psyched because now I know my space is tall enough for my hobby/addiction.

image_(resized).jpeg

#6 3 years ago

Perhaps you can lower the leg levelers a little to gain another inch? Hard to tell in the pictures. Also don't forget any flooring you may want in the future.

6 months later
    #7 3 years ago

Sorry for a long time between updates. Let me post photos then talk about what I want from the space, see if I can get some pinside input

IMG_6722 (resized).JPG

IMG_6723 (resized).JPG

IMG_6724 (resized).JPG

IMG_6725 (resized).JPG

#8 3 years ago

So if you look at the floorplan it looks like I'd have room for 6 or 7 games along the back wall. However, there's a structural beam running along the right side of this room, along with some pipes. I can't move the beam, but Instead of one game on the right, I'd be able to do two if I moved the pipe. Also note along the back of the wall is a steam pipe, because the games 'tilt' forward the head doesn't touch it. But I am terrified of a break in the pipe right above the game.

So of the pipes in the way, one is a steam pipe (which looks wrapped in asbestos ) and one is a sewer pipe from the first-floor half-bath.
    I guess, is it worth moving the pipes, just for one extra game? There is an unfinished (even more unfinished than this room) to the right where the utilites are. I was thinking of making that a workshop someday, but I could put games there instead. Would be nicer just to keep all the games together though, and separate work from play.

#9 3 years ago

Hard to tell from the pictures but that pipe wrapping does not look like asbestos. Of course the way to tell is have them tested.

#10 3 years ago

If it was me, I'd go for the 6 pin configuration in that room and avoid all the pipes. I took your dimensions and took a stab at it with my software and a few guesses with door placements ...

You could space them out a bit but 4 pins without moving pipes? No problem! You could maybe even fit 8 if you snugged them together.

SomeoneElse2 (resized).JPG

SomeoneElse (resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

Doesn't look like any glass would be sliding off on at least one side in that config.. always the downside of fitting pinballs in confined spaces, you technically need more room than it seems like you should..

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Doesn't look like any glass would be sliding off on at least one side in that config.. always the downside of fitting pinballs in confined spaces, you technically need more room than it seems like you should..

Ya, you might have to slide 2 machines in one direction on that side for that ... I was just guessing there might be head room height issues too with the pipes. He could play with the spacing to see what is best. I would rather move two pins to remove the glass on one "once in a while" as opposed to moving those pipes.

#13 3 years ago

Glass comes off my games pretty frequently. They're not newer sterns so they need fixes every so often. Given the floor is kind of rough it's a pain even with a lift table to move them around. So I think along the right wall is better.

The other thing is the wall near the pillar narrows just before the doorway to the laundry room. You can't fit a pin on the left side of the post.

There's a lot of space in the basement it's just poorly laid out/utilized. Back in 1929 when the house was built I'm sure no one cared about basement space

1 year later
    #14 1 year ago

Managed to get seven along that wall. Only older games fit on the right side.

6F1DABDC-E7C1-4E4F-ABA6-E6BCA20E19D0 (resized).jpeg
    #15 1 year ago

Wow. I just caught this thread. That’s a great lineup

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 6.00
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside