(Topic ID: 181932)

New homebrew: from Hurricane to Strange Brew!

By chadderack

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jim5six
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fantasy Film Hockey Bob McKenzie (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-04 (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-01 (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-03 (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-02 (resized).jpg
    elsinore_sign (resized).jpg
    elsinore_3d_print (resized).jpg
    elsinore_sign_corrected (resized).png
    cheating (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1334 (resized).JPG
    rough_render (resized).png
    IMG_3889 (resized).PNG
    hosehead (resized).jpg
    sb_album_front (resized).jpg
    fp_import_process_01 (resized).jpg
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I've never even heard of this movie, but now I want to watch it. Gotta love some Rick Moranis.

Start off by YouTubing some SCTV "Great White North" segments. If it seems like they're riffing for two minutes, they are to meet the requirements of Canadian content at that time.

Great stuff.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I've been told for years that I need to watch Strange Brew. May have to finally get around to it because of this pin.

Definitely has the 80's vibe, but with a Canuck flavor eh.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Took me years to get this movie - kept having trusted friends put it on but for whatever reason I wasn't in the mood or was distracted or whatever. Of course they were right in the end - this friggin movie is brilliant!
    Question for the OP: once the playfield is printed - how will you apply it to the wood? I have seen the Maiden pin where the owner created a printed overlay - I'm curious what material was used? THX

Good question. As of now, since Hurricane has that Diamondplate playfield it may be difficult to sand off. I'm leaning towards a vinyl decal as mentioned by stpcore earlier in this thread. Not sure how applying the decal and re-clearing the playfield might adversely affect things like playfield holes (since it would be more layers on top of the diamond plate) but it will be one of the bridges I burn down when I get there

Thanks!

Quoted from HighProtein:

Those Todd McFarlane toys will look sick in it!

Quoted from J85M:

Just started a write up for my own re-theme taking notes heavily what your doing here chadderack with your re-theme, super fun watching the updates and extremely educational - it's how I wish school was all those years ago

Oh, jeez... don't copy off the kid with the class dunce cap

cheating (resized).jpgcheating (resized).jpg

Quoted from Pahuffman:

I've never even heard of this movie, but now I want to watch it. Gotta love some Rick Moranis.

He's great in this movie, of course.

Small update while I'm here... have been getting some great advice/help from jim5six Mocean and TheNoTrashCougar and others and am shifting from Future Pinball (for initial development) to VPX (Visual Pinball 10). Currently translating an existing VP9 "table" to VPX and it's going well.

Need to adjust some of the measurements and then I can start modeling the reformed ramps and toys. Should get some time this weekend to at least put in some new ramps (modified).

(Baby steps)

#103 7 years ago

I think this pin needs an elsinore sign:
    elsinore_sign (resized).jpgelsinore_sign (resized).jpg

aspect corrected:
    elsinore_sign_corrected (resized).pngelsinore_sign_corrected (resized).png

Then 3d printed by a certain someone?
    elsinore_3d_print (resized).jpgelsinore_3d_print (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago

Nice progress so far. If there is any way I can help you out. Please let me know.

#105 7 years ago

Double the super jackpot from 12 to 24 million by first hitting the jelly doughnut target.

#106 7 years ago

Dude, I so wanted to do this re theme but don't have the skillz. Super cool that you're tackling it. I'm such a fan of bob and doug that my email is a day in the 12 days of xmas.

See you found the van, b&d, Ralph. Maybe add a couple silver kegs, a few stubbys and a cape for Ralph? A stack of the old 6x2 beer cases would be sweet too.

As for the launch, Tim Hortons is fine but don't forget the molson's.

Can't wait to see the completed project. Big thumbs up bro!

1 week later
    #107 7 years ago

Small update after answering these questions:

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think this pin needs an elsinore sign:

aspect corrected:

Then 3d printed by a certain someone?

That would be cool! Would have to figure out the best place for it... maybe inside the machine (playfield) or on the coin door? Probably will figure that out once the layout is set. Thanks!

Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Nice progress so far. If there is any way I can help you out. Please let me know.

You know I'll be asking. Thank you!

Quoted from pinballkim:

Double the super jackpot from 12 to 24 million by first hitting the jelly doughnut target.

So far I haven't picked out what the 4 targets on the right and 3 on the left will be... but I'm thinking the 3 on the left will spell out D-A-D for "Dad's Beer" ... which is a continuous "mode" that functions as a multiplier. The right targets will probably function as F-R-E-E (Beer) and interact with the mouse-in-a-bottle free beer "continuous mode."

(I have most of the modes and things written to this point, but doublers for jelly doughnuts is a good idea! Thanks!)

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Dude, I so wanted to do this re theme but don't have the skillz. Super cool that you're tackling it. I'm such a fan of bob and doug that my email is a day in the 12 days of xmas.
    See you found the van, b&d, Ralph. Maybe add a couple silver kegs, a few stubbys and a cape for Ralph? A stack of the old 6x2 beer cases would be sweet too.
    As for the launch, Tim Hortons is fine but don't forget the molson's.
    Can't wait to see the completed project. Big thumbs up bro!

Great ideas! The cape and the kegs, for sure! The figures come with stubbies and cases of beer! (Woo hoo!)

I'll have to consult the Canadians (like yourself!) on how best to christen the game (the flag is a given... and if you say Molson's...)
    Thank you!

Another short update: And it's excuses time, but it's a good excuse--my house is essentially a deep dark cave, but for some reason I agreed to host a league night this year... and this was last week. Despite all my stress, it turned out really well... but it also drained 90% of my extra time (cleaning/preparing/setting up games), so only a little work on SB was done last week.

Most revolved around switching the Virtual version of the game to VPX (Visual Pinball 10) from Future Pinball. I'm slowly porting over the models and things that can be moved easily from the Visual Pinball 9 version of Hurricane, but I want them to look better and use the VPX versions of things where appropriate (the pops and slings, for example). I have a flipping "whitewood" ready in VPX, but it doesn't do much except flip and let balls roll all over the place... not all of the hardware (walls/ball guides) are in, and none of the ramps are there.

Also got familiar with DraftSight, though I don't really know why at this point--I probably won't be re-manufacturing the playfield... it's useful for layout and precise measurement I guess... something better than VPX.

04_19_2017-01 (resized).jpg04_19_2017-01 (resized).jpg04_19_2017-02 (resized).jpg04_19_2017-02 (resized).jpg04_19_2017-03 (resized).jpg04_19_2017-03 (resized).jpg04_19_2017-04 (resized).jpg04_19_2017-04 (resized).jpg

Thanks... and I hope to have more to report next week. Take off, eh!

#108 7 years ago

Why did you decide to move from Future Pinball (which I understand has not had an update in years) to VPX? Just curious....

#109 7 years ago

Nice start in VPX. Once you get the walls in that are part of the original game and not changing it will start to come together fast. Good work so far!

-Jim

#110 7 years ago

I always like when Bob and Doug play organ hockey with the asylum patients

Fantasy Film Hockey Bob McKenzie (resized).jpgFantasy Film Hockey Bob McKenzie (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago

(Found this from the Minions thread) Hurricane is a great choice to retheme. It didn't really nail the theme the way Cyclone did anyways, IMO, and the rules left a lot to be desired....but it can be a really fast and brutal game and the loop of the ramp behind the flippers is just awesome. I've heard of this movie but haven't ever seen it.

Really interested in the process to go from tracing the PF to vector and printing to check alignment...going to have to take a closer look at that down the road on my own project since I'm going the opposite direction with art first. That way, if I flame out for some reason, I'll still have some awesome vector art to play around with.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from GimpMaster:

Why did you decide to move from Future Pinball (which I understand has not had an update in years) to VPX? Just curious....

It has more to do with the bad physics in FP and the difficulty of creating models that will work in FP. The process for FP (just for a ramp) is:

1) Create the model(s) (blender/what have you)... usually you would use a "guide ramp" from an existing VP or FP game. Exporting into .obj format and getting everything right is a pain.

Then you actually have to model the ramp.

2) Once you have the model, import to a program called "Milkshape". (The program isn't free; it's shareware. Not expensive, but not free). I've had issues with Milkshape changing the fundamental shapes of my models (rounding them too much, etc). Not easy to mess around with.

3) There's an FPX tool(?) (import tool) that's difficult to find (it can be found on the internet) that changes the Milkshape output file into a format that FP can use.

Needless to say, all that work for each ramp was too much--considering how bad the FP physics are. VPX looks much better than VP9 for most things, and the physics are reasonable. Seemed like a better idea.

Quoted from jim5six:

Nice start in VPX. Once you get the walls in that are part of the original game and not changing it will start to come together fast. Good work so far!
    -Jim

Definitely, Jim! Looking forward to seeing progress on your project as well... will need your help soon (likely!)

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I always like when Bob and Doug play organ hockey with the asylum patients

Great scenes. There are two modes/multiballs related to this (so far).

Quoted from Frax:

(Found this from the Minions thread) Hurricane is a great choice to retheme. It didn't really nail the theme the way Cyclone did anyways, IMO, and the rules left a lot to be desired....but it can be a really fast and brutal game and the loop of the ramp behind the flippers is just awesome. I've heard of this movie but haven't ever seen it.
    Really interested in the process to go from tracing the PF to vector and printing to check alignment...going to have to take a closer look at that down the road on my own project since I'm going the opposite direction with art first. That way, if I flame out for some reason, I'll still have some awesome vector art to play around with.

There are some good shots in the game.

It was just an idea to get the playfield measured correctly in order to get correct fits and (for the future) for playfield art layout. Many scans of these playfields are (of course) skewed... if you can find them at all.

Looks like you're on your way with your Voltron retheme. Good luck!

--------------------

Update in the next few days; busy at work ATM...

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

It was just an idea to get the playfield measured correctly in order to get correct fits and (for the future) for playfield art layout. Many scans of these playfields are (of course) skewed... if you can find them at all.

Yeah...I'm going to have to go this route..I doubt that I'll find a ready-made vector for WPT..LOL. Upside is I have the whitewood so I don't have any need to depopulate my game to work on it. 100% with you on the "if you want it done right, do it yourself" mentality...this stuff costs too much to waste the money on printing a playfield overlay that's not going to match my plank!

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

That would be cool! Would have to figure out the best place for it... maybe inside the machine (playfield) or on the coin door? Probably will figure that out once the layout is set. Thanks!

just give me a size.. If you plan on making one of the ramps elsinore brewery, I would mount it to the side (maybe an existing standoff?)

2 weeks later
    #115 6 years ago

So whats been goin' on with the game, eh? Any updates?

#116 6 years ago

Added to my favourites

#117 6 years ago

I was finally able to come across a copy of this movie. It was more difficult than you might think. I'm going to watch it hopefully sometime this week.

2 weeks later
    3 weeks later
    #119 6 years ago

Holy shit, this is down the road from me. Hmmm... do I spring for VIPs....

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Holy shit, this is down the road from me. Hmmm... do I spring for VIPs

You gotta go! hopefully take some video too. Would love to see what they end up doing. Rick moranis hasn't been in the spotlight forever since his wife died.

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Holy shit, this is down the road from me. Hmmm... do I spring for VIPs....

I am so jealous...I'm a huge SCTV geek, Not only do I have most episodes on Beta(!), but I have the DVD boxed sets as well.

V.I.P. all the way!

2 weeks later
    #122 6 years ago

Hey, hoser, where are the updates, eh?

#123 6 years ago

Following you noms.

1 month later
    #124 6 years ago

I'll be in the bathroom selling smokes.

#125 6 years ago

No updates in 4 months? You must be busy drinkin beer and eatin jellies.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

No updates in 4 months? You must be busy drinkin beer and eatin jellies.

It's my last one eh..

4 months later
    #128 6 years ago

quarterly check in for updates! What happened to this project eh?
    (Edit: looks like chadderack hasnt been on Pinside since last June. Anyone know what happened, he was very active before. Hope everything is OK.)

3 weeks later
    #130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

quarterly check in for updates! What happened to this project eh?
    (Edit: looks like chadderack hasnt been on Pinside since last June. Anyone know what happened, he was very active before. Hope everything is OK.)

Chad seems to be taking a bit of a pinball break. He hasn't been to league or monthly competitions for a few months, but he's still popping up on Facebook and seems to be doing ok. I should touch base with him either way. He's a good dude and we've missed having him at pinball nights.

#131 6 years ago

Thanks jar155, glad he is doing ok. Will keep an eye on the thread to see if he gets back to this project.

#132 6 years ago

This is why I'll wait to post anything about my custom game until it's done.

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

This is why I'll wait to post anything about my custom game until it's done.

Is it ever really done? (no posts on mine either

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Is it ever really done? (no posts on mine either

I am glad to hear he is doing well also; hope he makes it back into the fold. But alas I also understand as I have not had the ability to progress much either... and it sucks!

-Jim

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-homebrew-from-hurricane-to/page/3?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.