(Topic ID: 181932)

New homebrew: from Hurricane to Strange Brew!

By chadderack

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jim5six
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fantasy Film Hockey Bob McKenzie (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-04 (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-01 (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-03 (resized).jpg
    04_19_2017-02 (resized).jpg
    elsinore_sign (resized).jpg
    elsinore_3d_print (resized).jpg
    elsinore_sign_corrected (resized).png
    cheating (resized).jpg
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1334 (resized).JPG
    rough_render (resized).png
    IMG_3889 (resized).PNG
    hosehead (resized).jpg
    sb_album_front (resized).jpg
    fp_import_process_01 (resized).jpg
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago

Nice!

#52 7 years ago

Dont forget the dead mouse in the beer bottle somewhere on the playfield!

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

How are we going to put out this fire????

Take-a-leak hurry up mode

Quoted from TheLaw:

Beauty Clark.

A crossover with National Lampoon's Vacation maybe?

Quoted from jim5six:

Very cool. Excited to see this come together.
    "It's a jelly, eh"
    -Jim

Yeah! That's one of the callouts for sure.

Quoted from pinballkim:

One of my favorites movies to watch in high school. So many good quotes, I still use " no point in steering now".

Hehe.

Quoted from TheLaw:

This them was heavily discussed betwixed my brother and I for the re-theme he never built so I'll be routing for you.

Awesome! Thank you.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

oh geez, I gotta take a leak so bad I can taste it!
    One of my favorite movies. I did an audio imagination skit for the pinball podcast a while back:
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0YnlZNuDiEH

Sweet! I'll definitely check that out.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Such a great movie!!!

Yes!

Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Dont forget the dead mouse in the beer bottle somewhere on the playfield!

Was hoping you'd get in on this again. Thinking about putting all of our discussion in this thread too, with our ideas so far.

RE: Mouse.... thinking about this as one of the two main toys in the game... the red van being the other, of course. Not sure how to do it... would love to get a small plastic beer bottle and put a toy mouse inside and maybe put it over one of the ramps or scoops? Haven't gotten to that yet.

But 1) Red van 2) mouse in bottle are my two first choices for the toys.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

A crossover with National Lampoon's Vacation maybe?

Time for you to watch that courtroom scene again

#55 7 years ago

Where's the hosehound

#56 7 years ago

Two bowls of split plea's soup to go, eh?

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Time for you to watch that courtroom scene again

You're right... bullets in the nose, bleedin' nose

Quoted from Kneissl:

Where's the hosehound

Hosehead will figure prominently. Looking for a small plastic black lab figurine (a fat black lab, natch) to paint on the skunk stripes. Oktoberfest will be the wizard mode with Hosehead saving the day! (Right now thinking that the juggler shot will be Hosehead, as it's the trickiest/tightest shot on the physical playfield).

Quoted from Underspin:

Two bowls of split plea's soup to go, eh?

Don't make me laugh! He's the one with the bleedin' nose!

#58 7 years ago

Come over to the dark side of the Force, you knob! Did you guys know Strange Brew is more or less based on Shakespeares Hamlet? True story!

#59 7 years ago

End of game: "They've been saving their allowance for weeks to see this"

It actually says "this movie" but you could cut it off.
    Also, an image of the creepy castle on the back panel if it will fit.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

End of game: "They've been saving their allowance for weeks to see this"
    It actually says "this movie" but you could cut it off.
    Also, an image of the creepy castle on the back panel if it will fit.

Good ideas, all. Was just thinking that "Good day, eh!" would be another good end of game callout.

The castle will figure in for sure... not sure where yet.

#61 7 years ago

Man it's been a long time since I've seen this movie. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

#62 7 years ago

Great idea for a theme ! Looking forward to see how it comes togather.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

This will be a "Strange Brew" pinball machine Beauty, eh??

Ah dude now i have to find this vhs and go watch this movie otherwise i am the only one that doesn't understand the topic?
    I am pretty usa and canada comedian oriented,never heard of it,what year is it?
    Besides that,your topic is a happy one already..
    I like homebrew...no fighting,just exchanging cool ideas!

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrockstar:

1983. The characters are 'caricatures' of Canadians, like extreme stereotypes. It's long story involving Canadian TV laws but it's like having a show aboot Dutch people that only talk aboot tulips and wooden shoes living in a windmill with those hats on...in the red light district of Amsterdam.

You can youtube a lot of the TV stuff to get an idea

#65 7 years ago

Ah dude now i have to find this vhs and go watch this movie otherwise i am the only one that doesn't understand the topic?

rent it for $4
    https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Brew-Mel-Blanc/dp/B006HVJUDE

#66 7 years ago

OK, let me know when youre done so I can buy it off of you

#67 7 years ago

Very cool....There's a reason I've never changed my avatar in almost 6 years, (eh).

Always been an SCTV geek.

#68 7 years ago

So do you have Rush lined up to do the music? 10 bucks is 10 bucks.

#71 7 years ago

Just watched this with my son a few weeks ago...great theme, can't wait to see it come together.

#72 7 years ago

not familiar with the show / movie but love a good custom / retheme thread.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from GimpMaster:

Man it's been a long time since I've seen this movie. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

I plan to have some more Utah people come over and help if they'd like. You'd be invited. Let's see how things look after TPF.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Great idea for a theme ! Looking forward to see how it comes togather.

Thanks! Little by little we'll get it done!

Besides that,your topic is a happy one already..
    I like homebrew...no fighting,just exchanging cool ideas!

Haha... yeah as others said it's 1983.... stereotypical Canadians. They say "eh" alot, eh? It's a great movie... and even if people don't know the movie I hope they'll like the game! Thanks Bas.

Quoted from rolandthoms:

OK, let me know when youre done so I can buy it off of you

Sure, I'll sell it. For one billion dollars! *Dr. Evil*

Quoted from PismoArcade:

Very cool....There's a reason I've never changed my avatar in almost 6 years, (eh).
    Always been an SCTV geek.

Yeah I'd seen your avatar around and hoped you'd get a look at this. Hoping to do the movie justice!

Quoted from bam10:

So do you have Rush lined up to do the music? 10 bucks is 10 bucks.

That's such a great, obscure quote from the extended version of "Take off." I've heard that Geddy came up with that "10 bucks is 10 bucks" joke on his own. Is that right? Cuz if it is, that's awesome.

I do want to use "Take Off" at least (maybe for the wizard mode)... but the movie theme is cool, too. Definitely keeping some Rush in mind though.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

Another great clip!

Quoted from swillie:

Just watched this with my son a few weeks ago...great theme, can't wait to see it come together.

Hope it does the movie justice. Will be looking for your input!

Quoted from swinks:

not familiar with the show / movie but love a good custom / retheme thread.

Thanks Jady!

BTW just sourced a fairly cheap 3 1/2 inch fat black lab model, eh. Would be perfect... can substitute either a sausage or a beer can in his mouth. He looks kinda pissed off just like Hosehead

hosehead (resized).jpghosehead (resized).jpg

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

oh geez, I gotta take a leak so bad I can taste it!
    One of my favorite movies. I did an audio imagination skit for the pinball podcast a while back:
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0YnlZNuDiEH

Just listened to this... great work! Definitely got some ideas from it... and a few of our ideas are very similar

I really like the stuff at the beginning with the quarters/money/free play! The ramp shots will probably be the castle and loony bin, like you said--(nothing set in stone yet... gotta gather everything first)

"Beauty playin'" is a great callout for the initials routine.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

1983. The characters are 'caricatures' of Canadians, like extreme stereotypes. It's long story involving Canadian TV laws but it's like having a show aboot Dutch people that only talk aboot tulips and wooden shoes living in a windmill with those hats on...in the red light district of Amsterdam.
    You can youtube a lot of the TV stuff to get an idea
    » YouTube video

Quoted from toyotaboy:

rent it for $4
    amazon.com link »

Aah thanks guys..i am feeling it now!

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

it's like having a show aboot Dutch people that only talk aboot tulips and wooden shoes living in a windmill with those hats on...in the red light district of Amsterdam.

You know, that's a reasonable explanation of it .

I'll just add that Bob & Doug are beloved in Canada. We love that stereotype.

Every year at Christmas time you'll hear the Bob & Doug 12 Days of Christmas played regularly on the radio.

#77 7 years ago

If you ever see Disney's "Brother Bear" on DVD, pick it up. Rick Moranis & Dave Thomas reprise their Bob & Doug characters as Rutt and Tuke, but the coolest thing is they stay in character throughout the entire movie as a bonus commentary track!

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

BTW just sourced a fairly cheap 3 1/2 inch fat black lab model, eh. Would be perfect... can substitute either a sausage or a beer can in his mouth. He looks kinda pissed off just like Hosehead

Beauty Eh! Perfect, Id like to see a beer can in his mouth.
    BTW, Since we started discussing this retheme Ive been talking in the Bob and Doug voices around the house to the point where my wife is on the verge of evicting me . Women just dont understand the finer things in life like Strange Brew, the Three Stooges or the Benny Hill show.

#79 7 years ago

Ha! Bought me a hurricane today!
    Will pick it up tomorrow..
    Gonna sneeky copy your entire process here

IMG_3889 (resized).PNGIMG_3889 (resized).PNG

#80 7 years ago

I know you're probably on this, but you've got to include the Mel Blanc call outs.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Every year at Christmas time you'll hear the Bob & Doug 12 Days of Christmas played regularly on the radio.

Yep Detroit 94.7 play sit every year here

#82 7 years ago

Aah thanks guys..i am feeling it now!

Quoted from frolic:

You know, that's a reasonable explanation of it .
    I'll just add that Bob & Doug are beloved in Canada. We love that stereotype.

The reveal of the Strange Brew pinball machine will probably be done with the machine draped in the Canadian flag, "O Canada" playing in the background and some Tim Horton's flown in for the occasion

Quoted from PismoArcade:

If you ever see Disney's "Brother Bear" on DVD, pick it up. Rick Moranis & Dave Thomas reprise their Bob & Doug characters as Rutt and Tuke, but the coolest thing is they stay in character throughout the entire movie as a bonus commentary track!» YouTube video

Cool. I'll have to check that one out.

Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Beauty Eh! Perfect, Id like to see a beer can in his mouth.
    BTW, Since we started discussing this retheme Ive been talking in the Bob and Doug voices around the house to the point where my wife is on the verge of evicting me . Women just dont understand the finer things in life like Strange Brew, the Three Stooges or the Benny Hill show.

Ha! Bought me a hurricane today!
    Will pick it up tomorrow..
    Gonna sneeky copy your entire process here

Quoted from PismoArcade:

I know you're probably on this, but you've got to include the Mel Blanc call outs.

Was going over the movie lines/assets last night and I think "Dad" and "Mom" will figure in as playfield multiplier. "Dad's Beer" will crank up the playfield multiplier (after all the boys walk in on "Dad" and "Mom" "multiplying")

"Dad" definitely has lines in the game. Only thing I have to work out game wise (in terms of what to include) is how to fit in the "jail" and "court" scenes. "Steamroller" is in, though

I would post the rules but want to leave some of the stuff a surprise... and the rules will be subject to change of course. Gotta actually build the game (in FP) now. Then it's on to modeling custom parts, doing the art, physically ripping the assets, and putting everything together.

#83 7 years ago

So, just the easy stuff left...

Thank you, I hadn't seen this in awhile so I sat down with my son (17) and we watched it this weekend. What a great movie and although it was a little slow for the ADD challenged youth of today my son actually laughed a couple times , rare for the cynical creature I raised! And now we are both quoting it

-Jim

#84 7 years ago

Are you re-worked any ramps or using all existing?

Are you adding any physical features, buildings etc?

#85 7 years ago

Every time I see this thread on the Pinside forum this music immediately pops in my head:

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from jim5six:

So, just the easy stuff left...
    Thank you, I hadn't seen this in awhile so I sat down with my son (17) and we watched it this weekend. What a great movie and although it was a little slow for the ADD challenged youth of today my son actually laughed a couple times , rare for the cynical creature I raised! And now we are both quoting it
    -Jim

Awesome. Way to get the new generation into the hoser life

Quoted from swinks:

Are you re-worked any ramps or using all existing?
    Are you adding any physical features, buildings etc?

Mostly the existing stuff is being reused so as to take advantage of the shot geometry already worked out by Barry Oursler.

The "drop below the flippers" part of the ramp is being redesigned, fortunately/unfortunately depending on people's fondness for Hurricane. I just felt like that was too "Hurricane" for "Strange Brew". The ramp return will likely go directly to the left inlane.

The Juggler and Ferris Wheels are being removed and replaced with different mechs/toys. The hoser's red GMC van will be the main toy... haven't decided how to position it on the playfield whether over the Comet ramp (near the Juggler on Hurricane) or in the upper left where the ferris wheels were. Just have to position it in such a way that it can move up and down slightly (to simulate the "space ship" landing in the forbidden zone) and so that it can load two pinballs in the back (kegs) for the "no brakes" mode.

Quoted from frolic:

Every time I see this thread on the Pinside forum this music immediately pops in my head:
    » YouTube video

That's a fantastic tune and it will be the main theme tune for the pin. The verse part will likely be what you hear during all the main modes (base music). Thinking that we should save the "Stra-a-ange Brew-e-ew" chorus part for a multiball or special shot or something. It's a great rock track.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Little bit of trivia.. Ian Thomas is Dave Thomas' brother in real life.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Thomas_(Canadian_musician)

There's also this song (takeoff):

#88 7 years ago

Rush rules

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Seriously? Do you know something we don't
    I think that would be super awesome if Spooky built a SB machine.

No, I know nothing special. He mentioned it on a recent podcast though and how well it would convert into a pin.

1 week later
    #91 7 years ago

Hey Bas... not much to report this week. Was in Texas last weekend and have been super busy this week with work and prepping the house for a league visit in 2 weeks.

I did work on the virtual game a little last week before Texas and am doing some work on it today. Gotta do some spackle and paint in the basement and rent a carpet cleaner. Whatever time is left over will be spent on Strange Brew. Tomorrow more of the same. I'll update you guys on that progress.

#92 7 years ago

Remembered I had a rough render from FP. (Obviously not finished art... just a placeholder).

Lamps and inserts in their positions (not correct colors).

Next step is to build the walls; then the plastics; then the mechs.

I'd love to build a shooting game that had decent physics. Anyone have hints about how to improve the flipper physics in FP?

Also got the movie poster for reference.

rough_render (resized).pngrough_render (resized).pngIMG_1333 (resized).JPGIMG_1333 (resized).JPGIMG_1334 (resized).JPGIMG_1334 (resized).JPG

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Remembered I had a rough render from FP. (Obviously not finished art... just a placeholder).
    Lamps and inserts in their positions (not correct colors).
    Next step is to build the walls; then the plastics; then the mechs.
    I'd love to build a shooting game that had decent physics. Anyone have hints about how to improve the flipper physics in FP?
    Also got the movie poster for reference.

First off, awesome theme hoser.

Second, to improve the physics of FP use VPX instead. Won't have the nifty cabinet views but it will play one heck of a lot better.

#94 7 years ago

This one may need banana flippers for the extra hammered player lol

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

First off, awesome theme hoser.
    Second, to improve the physics of FP use VPX instead. Won't have the nifty cabinet views but it will play one heck of a lot better.

Thanks! (sorry about the wall of text to come)

Thinking about switching to VPX because VP9 Hurricane exists--and the models can be switched over directly. However the graphics in VP are like wet cornflakes on s____. (It's why I used FP)

Also, the measurements in the VP9 version are off because the game was made using a skewed pic of a playfield--too short and too wide.

Thinking about how to put everything together on the physical game. Using the current physical ball guides from the "Ferris Wheel" shot would make the ball arrive too low for the hoser's red van, for instance.

Probably can't use existing physical ball guides because of that... which means I'll have to mock up some paper ones or something. Less emphasis on 3D models and more physical prototypes (in paper) is what it means. There's no such thing as a quick 3D model (for me!)

Maybe MPF Monitor is better for this than VP9/X or FP. Just a flat overhead view of the PF, but I can get started with placement and events. Then maybe physical paper guides/ramps would be a good way to go. Neither VP9/X nor FP are very good for modeling anything anyway.

Still a lot of unknowns here. This is why it's taking a while because when I get time to work on the game, it's difficult to know how to attack the layout problems.

May do VPX anyway... knowing that the measurements are off... just to get some of the game play going and to keep moving (and motivated!)

Quoted from gmkalos:

This one may need banana flippers for the extra hammered player lol

So it should play in "3B"? Nothing is off the table for this game... but I do want it to play like a normal game. We can try the banana flippers, but if it made game play too esoteric or weird, I'd take them back out. I like your thinking, though!

#96 7 years ago

I've been told for years that I need to watch Strange Brew. May have to finally get around to it because of this pin.

#97 7 years ago

Took me years to get this movie - kept having trusted friends put it on but for whatever reason I wasn't in the mood or was distracted or whatever. Of course they were right in the end - this friggin movie is brilliant!

Question for the OP: once the playfield is printed - how will you apply it to the wood? I have seen the Maiden pin where the owner created a printed overlay - I'm curious what material was used? THX

#98 7 years ago

Those Todd McFarlane toys will look sick in it!

#99 7 years ago

Just started a write up for my own re-theme taking notes heavily what your doing here chadderack with your re-theme, super fun watching the updates and extremely educational - it's how I wish school was all those years ago

#100 7 years ago

I've never even heard of this movie, but now I want to watch it. Gotta love some Rick Moranis.

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-homebrew-from-hurricane-to/page/2?hl=pinhead2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.