Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Eyeofsauron.jpg
gold eye.jpg
image-810.jpg
image-434.jpg
image-815.jpg
image-999.jpg
image-808.jpg
image-156.jpg
image-517.jpg
image-382.jpg
cucumber.jpg
55.jpg
47.jpg
52.jpg
51.jpg
58.jpg

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 years ago

All I can think of is how I am going to wrestle that thing into our basement!

#152 4 years ago

3 words for you..

Heavier
Than
Woz

#153 4 years ago

I will say it is very heavy.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Here is a thought - now that Smaug doesn't turn all the way around from behind a mountain wouldn't it make more sense if he ISN'T tethered to the gold pile at all? I think the motion would look a lot more fluid and aesthetically awesome. You wouldn't have to add more the head sculpt, just have Smaug move side to side above the treasure. I feel sure it would look much better, and he won't look pined to the gold pile.
EDIT: This would also allow you to make the gold pile look a bit nicer since you wont have to have it ramp up to Smaugs head.

While this is a very good idea to separate the gold pile from his head, is this really what his head will do in the final code? Just turn sideways? If he can rotate 180 degrees then why not just fix the backside and make it look more like a realistic mountain? Possibly even with small Hobbit figures climbing it? Because just turning to show his profile now seems silly and a waste. Why turn at all ... just turn off the spotlights on him and put him in the dark. Because as it is, its like he is just really bad at hide and seek.

#155 4 years ago

Looks much better , and I like the open path to/from the pops. Book position and screen is sooooo much better.

I'm not impressed with the gameplay video yet, but I don't expect to be at this stage.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

WTF? Don't people have eyes and brains of their own? Now you need to wait for Aurich to tell you if you like something? Geez, another WTF? There are pictures above. Look at them and decide if you like them.
Aurich is a good enough artist and has created some nice alternate artwork. But I think people can decide on their own if they like something or not - including whether or not they like Aurich's work. Flabbergasted.

Why so mean? People hire professional designers all the time to help them pick out a couch or a table. The guy said he likes it and wanted to see a professional opinion. No need to browbeat the guy.

Nonplussed.

#157 4 years ago

I think just a continuation of the pile of gold for behind his head would look good , and have him do the 180 like before ....very impressed with the continued progress this pin has seen in the last month

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

3 words for you..
Heavier
Than
Woz

Is there any worry that all of that weight under the playfield could cause it to warp?

Seems like a a lot right there in the the middle.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Is there any worry that all of that weight under the playfield could cause it to warp?

Yes, being heavier than WOZ isn't exactly a selling point.

I hope that they have some reinforcement of the PF. SC PF's were notorious for warping because of all the weight.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

WTF? Don't people have eyes and brains of their own? Now you need to wait for Aurich to tell you if you like something? Geez, another WTF? There are pictures above. Look at them and decide if you like them.
Aurich is a good enough artist and has created some nice alternate artwork. But I think people can decide on their own if they like something or not - including whether or not they like Aurich's work. Flabbergasted.

Looks like the smartass comment went right over your head again, but glad you were able to turn your ignorance into an attack.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from RealityCheck:

While this is a very good idea to separate the gold pile from his head, is this really what his head will do in the final code? Just turn sideways? If he can rotate 180 degrees then why not just fix the backside and make it look more like a realistic mountain? Possibly even with small Hobbit figures climbing it? Because just turning to show his profile now seems silly and a waste. Why turn at all ... just turn off the spotlights on him and put him in the dark. Because as it is, its like he is just really bad at hide and seek.

All I am saying is that now that the full rotation from behind a mountain side is gone, just decouple it from the gold pile so you don't see all that motion in the treasure pile - it is not needed. The head will still do what it does today, and should look better without the gold bib attached to him. The way the mech is working now is basically the remnants of an idea that was scraped. This change would get it more in line with the current mech design.

Another plus is that the gold Smaug especially would look better decoupled as well. It blends in too much now as it is - decupling it from the pile would help it stand out more.

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, being heavier than WOZ isn't exactly a selling point.

lol, I know. A distributor was bragging to me about it at Expo, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that wasn't a good thing. I get it, more stuff, so it's heavier. But I'm not looking for games that break my back, not sure I'd advertise that part so much.

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I've been wondering about this myself. That's a LOT of weight slung under a wide wooden slab.

Is bowing a real concern?

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Looks like the smartass comment went right over your head again, but glad you were able to turn your ignorance into an attack.

Ok if there was some humor or sarcasm in there and I missed it then that's way better than what I thought otherwise. Phew.

#165 4 years ago

Damn, i have to admit that new pf looks sick! This one may interest me after all, its shaping up well

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from abelelectronics:

Ok here are a couple more of the new hinge system and the bottom of playfield.

image-434.jpg 218 KB

image-810.jpg 153 KB

Why? This looks like a shitty way of doing things. Or better yet, cheaper. It doesn't look like there are service rails or supports either. Wtf? The rails they had on WOZ were awesome and are a legitimate selling point. This, not so much.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Why? This looks like a shitty way of doing things. Or better yet, cheaper. It doesn't look like there are service rails or supports either. Wtf? The rails they had on WOZ were awesome and are a legitimate selling point. This, not so much.

I think Jack said it will also have the rails like WOZ.

#169 4 years ago

Underside of Hobbit playfield, looks like they are going to soldered coils rather than spade connectors.

Can anyone else see & confirm this?

If so I am glad as I have had a number of the spade connectors work their way loose on my WOZ to the point of the coil being erratic, nothing a pair of pliers did not solve.

#170 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

They look, to me, similar to what Capcom used. I like the Capcom system, but removing the playfield is difficult.

Chris

#171 4 years ago

New rail System is smooth and sturdy. Dosent lay against back box anymore. You can actually get to both sides of playfield when it is up.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from abelelectronics:

New rail System is smooth and sturdy. Dosent lay against back box anymore. You can actually get to both sides of playfield when it is up.

But are we back to System 11 and not being able to access anything near the back of the playfield without laying in the cabinet?

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

They look, to me, similar to what Capcom used. I like the Capcom system, but removing the playfield is difficult.
Chris

I *don't* like the Capcom system, there's no way to get the butt of the playfield away from the cabinet when it's vertical, so servicing things at the back topside is tough. Abel says this one makes it easy to service both sides so it should be different.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

All I am saying is that now that the full rotation from behind a mountain side is gone, just decouple it from the gold pile so you don't see all that motion in the treasure pile - it is not needed. The head will still do what it does today, and should look better without the gold bib attached to him. The way the mech is working now is basically the remnants of an idea that was scraped. This change would get it more in line with the current mech design.
Another plus is that the gold Smaug especially would look better decoupled as well. It blends in too much now as it is - decupling it from the pile would help it stand out more.

Light Bulb moment! How about changing the back of Smaug from the mountainside which is now gone, to a pile of gold and treasure? That way we can keep the 180 degree turn and he can "reveal" himself from the gold pile?

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Light Bulb moment! How about changing the back of Smaug from the mountainside which is now gone, to a pile of gold and treasure? That way we can keep the 180 degree turn and he can "reveal" himself from the gold pile?

This is a really good idea ... if done properly. Nice thought.

#176 4 years ago

Great idea, lets not forget mods can fix some of our cosmetic concerns down the road as well. Should come that way but what else in new.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I *don't* like the Capcom system, there's no way to get the butt of the playfield away from the cabinet when it's vertical, so servicing things at the back topside is tough. Abel says this one makes it easy to service both sides so it should be different.

You are correct there, I forgot about that. Getting the injector off of Airborne was NOT fun!

LOL

Chris

#178 4 years ago

I just noticed that the Bilbo/Gold pile at the bottom of the playfield kind of looks like Sauron's eye from a distance. I wonder if that was intentional? If so, pretty neat

gold eye.jpg

Eyeofsauron.jpg

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I just noticed that the Bilbo/Gold pile at the bottom of the playfield kind of looks like Sauron's eye from a distance. I wonder if that was intentional? If so, pretty neat.

Maybe the art director for Hobbit had that connection in mind but it wouldn't make sense in terms of Tolkien's mythology (to my knowledge the Arkenstone, which is what I'm assuming is sitting up on top of that pile of gold, has nothing to do with Sauron).

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Logistics would seem difficult. I'd almost rather see Smaug pop out from under the Gold pile. This would require a totally different mechanism though.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Logistics would seem difficult. I'd almost rather see Smaug pop out from under the Gold pile. This would require a totally different mechanism though.

Correct and the smaug mech is done not changing

#182 4 years ago

I wonder if Smaug is going to spit out the ball in the next release. That would be great!

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I wonder if Smaug is going to spit out the ball in the next release. That would be great!

Unless WB and Jackson had a change of heart this isn't going to happen

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe the art director for Hobbit had that connection in mind but it wouldn't make sense in terms of Tolkien's mythology (to my knowledge the Arkenstone, which is what I'm assuming is sitting up on top of that pile of gold, has nothing to do with Sauron).

Sauron is most definitely part of the new Hobbit movies. He was revealed in the 2nd film.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Sauron is most definitely part of the new Hobbit movies. He was revealed in the 2nd film.

Yeah, Tolkien himself retconned the Hobbit's "Necromancer" (who gets only a brief mention as the reason Gandalf ditches the dwarves) into Sauron in the LOTR books. But I still don't think Sauron had anything to do with the Arkenstone.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Yeah and then he's going to stroke your twig and berries.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Matt said the frame is not final.

size of hole and lcd dont match yet.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from Evelknievel:

size of hole and lcd dont match yet.

That's what she said

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I just noticed that the Bilbo/Gold pile at the bottom of the playfield kind of looks like Sauron's eye from a distance. I wonder if that was intentional? If so, pretty neat

gold eye.jpg 14 KB
Eyeofsauron.jpg 5 KB

i'll have to TILT my post if i put an image up of what your Sauron eye looks like

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,500.00
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 279.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington, WV
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 27.50
$ 11.95
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
7,200 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Des Moines, IA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside