image-517.jpg
image-382.jpg
cucumber.jpg
55.jpg
47.jpg
52.jpg
51.jpg
58.jpg
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

Hobbit playfield changes. Taking preorders for Hobbit LE and smaug gold. We our a Jersey Jack distributor that has been in business for over 55 years. Opinions on new playfield.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-798.jpgimage-798.jpg

#2 9 years ago

The new artwork and color look fantastic. Apron is pretty cool too. Loving it.

#3 9 years ago

More more exciting and engaging.

#5 9 years ago

I have a feeling JJP is holding out big time on this game. I would be willing to bet the Smaug toy changes completely to reveal something bad ass. And people were talking bad about what was revealed. Should have known it wasn't close to complete.

#6 9 years ago

Improvement! Made me actually contemplate it for a minute.

#7 9 years ago

HUGE improvement!

#8 9 years ago

Looks way more exciting. Huge improvement for a pinball environment.

#9 9 years ago

I hope he follows up with the rest of the game.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I have a feeling JJP is holding out big time on this game. I would be willing to bet the Smaug toy changes completely to reveal something bad ass. And people were talking bad about what was revealed. Should have known it wasn't close to complete.

I believe the revision was because of the criticism, not in spite of it. I commend JJP for listening to their customer base and providing what they want. Even at the expense of basically redoing roughly 50% of the playfield artwork. Hopefully the can pull a rabbit again on smaug.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Smaug is done. No more changes

#12 9 years ago

looks pretty sweet. I will wait for Aurich to come constructively critique with his expert eye.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Smaug is done. No more changes

Other than single color LED eyes which are listed as a coming feature.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Other than single color LED eyes which are listed as a coming feature.

Yes maybe something like that, but the smaug mech is done and not changing

#15 9 years ago

Wow. The artwork is a lot better now. Went from bland to popping colors!

#16 9 years ago

Sweet! Soooo much better. Went from monochromatic to a world of color and that Dragon!

#17 9 years ago

I'm assuming this is a change for all Hobbit playfields? (get a bit confused on the whole Hobbit LE vs Smaug SE editions).

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I'm assuming this is a change for all Hobbit playfields? (get a bit confused on the whole Hobbit LE vs Smaug SE editions).

The new playfield art is very exciting, with vibrant colors and powerful imagery, as if it's been literally transformed from the dark and damp burial chambers of ancient Egypt to the fires of the middle earth .

Does anyone know who Jack's new art consultant is?

Also, a word of advice to those who haven't switched to the Smaug SE with the hi-gloss cabinet decal upgrade yet, a paradigm shift might be both imperative and appropriate at this time.

#19 9 years ago

Now that Smaug is featured so prominently in the playfield artwork I think If I were buying the game I'd opt for the original LE cabinet artwork just to diversify a bit.-Plus it's nice having different artwork on each side vs. the same on both sides on the Smaug edition and Red Smaug vs. Gold.

And to think a few months back all the complaints were about "Not enough Smaug"

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

looks pretty sweet. I will wait for Aurich to come constructively critique with his expert eye.

From other thread:

Quoted from Aurich:

I need some time to digest it all, but I just wanted to say this up front:
New playfield art is SO much better. JP did a kickass job fixing the empty, moody, dark and boring art. This is what it needed. Color and vibrancy and scale and impact.
Well done. And credit due to Jack and team for listening to feedback and responding, the product is better for it.

#21 9 years ago

image-148.jpgimage-148.jpgimage-522.jpgimage-522.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThis looks great ! There is also pics of the gold dragon and lcd book . I'm going to IAAPA thurs and fri so I can't wait!

#22 9 years ago

WOW. Just wow. What a huge improvement.

#23 9 years ago

Which is the new one ?

#24 9 years ago

Wow, that looks worlds better than before! It's great seeing the manufacturers really listening to their customer base lately. I'm sure it's a risk for them to go back to the drawing board at this late stage in development.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Which is the new one ?

The first pic is the new playfield.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Which is the new one ?

The first play field pic is the new one.

#27 9 years ago

A huge improvement for the playfield art

Smaug though, sorry, but to me he looks really bad in gold.

Hope the people who bought it are happy, but not I look I'd personally go for.

#28 9 years ago

Thanks , but the second one is not too bad !

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Thanks , but the second one is not too bad !

Try this (scientific answers to absurd questions):

http://what-if.xkcd.com/

#30 9 years ago

I think Gold Smaug looks great and with glowing eyes even better...happy I switched.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

A huge improvement for the playfield art
Smaug though, sorry, but to me he looks really bad in gold.
Hope the people who bought it are happy, but not I look I'd personally go for.

For what it's worth, word is you can pick either red or gold Smaug if you get the "Smaug" edition, and the "regular LE" and other editions would come stock with the red Smaug.

#33 9 years ago

So the Smaug edition will come with the Smaug play field and the LE comes with the other I take it. Hope all are happy.

#34 9 years ago

I think that's a "fairer" comparison but I still like the new design (on the left). Would be too colorful for LOTR but great for the Hobbit, which is a much more whimsical story.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

So the Smaug edition will come with the Smaug play field and the LE comes with the other I take it. Hope all are happy.

No. All versions will have the new playfield design.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

My understanding is that everyone will get the new play field and that the only difference between the LE and SE is the side cabinet art, the powder coat color and possibly the color of the smaug model. Can someone confirm?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

My understanding is that everyone will get the new play field and that the only difference between the LE and SE is the side cabinet art, the powder coat color and possibly the color of the smaug model. Can someone confirm?

Some small code differences as well.

#38 9 years ago

Major Improvement, Wow! Much better IMHO.

#39 9 years ago

I like the new playfield art. But I thought the game was shipping this year. If the playfields haven't been printed, does this push the game's ship date out?

#40 9 years ago

New playfield looks great and bravo for JJP listening to feedback from customers. Bravo

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

does this push the game's ship date out?

I paid in full nearly a year ago and am happy to wait if that means getting a much better pin. Thanks to all at JJP for doing such a great job of listening to your customers.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I paid in full nearly a year ago and am happy to wait if that means getting a much better pin. Thanks to all at JJP for doing such a great job of listening to your customers.

I thought JJP was under an agreement with the licensor to get the game out in time for the release of the last movie? I don't have it preordered so I don't have a stake in it.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

I made the switch to the Smaug Gold SE a while ago and am extremely happy with the new playfield art. Bravo JJP!

#44 9 years ago

What if the new art is the LE, and the other is the standard?

So we know for sure all the machines will have the same art?

Chris

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

What if the new art is the LE, and the other is the standard?
So we know for sure all the machines will have the same art?
Chris

Machines will have the same playfield. Different cabinet art as previously discussed.

#46 9 years ago

Upper half is a huge improvement. I didn't mind the original tiny Smaug, but the new one looks good too. Good work!

#47 9 years ago

Play field same for both games

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I thought JJP was under an agreement with the licensor to get the game out in time for the release of the last movie?

Obviously, I am not privy to their agreement. Speaking only as a customer, I would rather wait and be delighted than push for quick delivery and be disappointed. Same goes for MMr.

#49 9 years ago

Awesome....Thanks Gary for the update! I have to put a Plug in for you guys at Abel Electronics...You're great to work with! Nothing like having a local distributor. Can't wait for the other updates down the line.

#50 9 years ago

Im panicking right now! Cancelled my order last month and now i want this thing bad...God i hope that mistake didnt just cost me $1000.00...Calling Jen now to reinstate my order...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hobbit-playfield-revealed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.