(Topic ID: 105447)

NEW Hobbit pics... what do you see new ?

By PinballSTAR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 507 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ricky.jpg
image-477.jpg
e4652ad9b9aaed45c9981415452f1cab.jpg
5cc3722c8e646521190d522518c2bf40.jpg
o-AIR-NEW-ZEALAND-SMAUG-PLANE-facebook-3.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.20.55 AM.png
image-653.jpg
Star trek 2.jpg
Star trek.jpg
hobbit-smaug-edition.jpg
image.jpg
hobbit 1-490.jpg
hobbit2.jpg
the_hobbit__whole_vision__by_arronyym-d5dmiqw.jpg
images.jpg
images (5).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 9 years ago

What I see is that the goblin king with a nutsack for a chin gets top billing, and there's no f***ing Smaug anywhere. What's the matter, someone said "we crammed 45 different characters onto the cabinet art, there's no room for the god damn dragon"?

The powdercoat color looks nice enough, but not particularly unique. Until I read it was "seaside bronze" on the flyer I just assumed it was plain old armor. For an LE I'd prefer it stood out more as special, because that's really the point right? You don't get a whole lot else compared to a standard, so every part should really sing.

And really? A button in the middle of the lockdown bar? I mean, fine, whatever, but when I see that I see "hey, let's be like Stern" which isn't exactly what I thought the JJP mantra would be. It feels like Star Trek or Mustang or AC/DC or TWD LE when I look at that.

They still didn't recess the Start button, and that sucks. It looks bad, and people are going to bump it on accident. Recessing was figured out years ago, there's a reason why companies do it. Easy enough to change out the yellow side buttons for something that looks nice, but hard to fix the Start button.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, but if this is what they've got to tease so far it's disappointing. I hope the full package when seen in person (Expo please?) really makes me change my mind. I want to like this. And I'll happily change my tune if it looks great. But so far ... eh.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

So it seems Hobbit LE will be decals on the cabinet, regular tempered glass, no headphone jack, no shaker, and no topper.

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

LE will have Shaker, Invisiglass...

If you're gonna join my bitch fest at least read first!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

I think you and Rare Hero should go start a "I Hate JJP pinball Club" somewhere.

I don't hate JJP at all! In fact, I love the Hobbit theme, and I want it to be great. I don't see any value in staying silent though, there's zero chance things will be fixed (instead of really low chance) if we don't say something. It worked with the playfield, our concerns were at least partially addressed. I love that JJP listens to their customers, it's an admirable trait.

Does anyone love the collage of movie characters art? If you could have this, or a big bad ass picture of Smaug on each side which would you take? I know what I would want!

Post edited by moderator: Pics removed, copyrights claim.

#30 9 years ago

Quickie photoshop of the above images, obviously it could look better than this, but man, I wish the studio would approve this look instead.

Post edited by moderator: Images removed, sorry, copyright claim.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Not trying to be a dink.. So don't take this bad... Just want to say its the hobbit not the smaug! Although would have been a cool le cabinet. I like the look

Bilbo in the image with Smaug is one of the most iconic moments of both the book and movie to me, personally. I'd take that on one side and Bilbo with Gollum on the other.

Nutsack goblin and stupid white orc? Not even a tiny bit. Bilbo and Gandalf look great on the side of the head, that's easily my favorite part.

The playfield suffered from this "over montage" effect too, and they fixed a lot of it. So maybe it's not too late.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

I prefer the look in the original post to this.
--Luke

Hey, that's fine. I mean I just slapped some cropped poster images in there, they don't really fit the shape of the cab all that well. And even if they did you're of course free to like the other look better.

I just don't care for the "let's show EVERYBODY" collage look. It feels like a giant copout to me.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Only thing i'll say is that it seems you're much more critical of JJP than say Stern. I don't recall you being this judgmental of TWD. Although, in my opinion, there was plenty to be critical of. Be hey, to each his own.

Honestly? I really only take the time to write about things I care about. And TWD doesn't really do much for me. I don't watch the show, though I read a lot of the comic. The actors and the AMC part really mean nothing to me. It's a dream theme for some people, and I love horror pins, but this one just doesn't excite me. It looks cool I guess, but nothing compelling at the same time. I'll hopefully play it at Expo. At least for the art they didn't cop out, it's full of the gore people wanted, and it looks solid.

Stern is what Stern is. I've written plenty critical things about them. But they're kind of their own lumbering force, I don't really expect them to change much. JJP is still new, they have the ability to be something different.

Hobbit is a theme I can get excited about. I wish it was hand drawn art, and not movie studio PR photoshop. Even Stern's LOTR, a game I think looks like shit with muddy awful print quality, had a hand drawn translite. Jack made a lot of noise about being different, bringing pinball art back, etc. I want them to stick with that, not cave.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

The artwork not posted by OP infringes on the license and needs to be removed. That art is not approved by that poster for that use - on that pinball machine. It is not ours and misrepresents our product.

It's like every time you come on Pinside you just bust out the shovel and dig yourself in a little deeper. It's called a critique and fair use, it's not illegal. Take it up with Robin I guess. But why do you even feel the need to go there?

Quoted from JerseyJack:

Guess what - when you get a license - you do what THEY want you to do or allow you to do.

Guess what? YOU picked the license. The game looks like it does because of your choices. If you hit your thumb with a hammer don't blame the hammer.

I think The Hobbit is a great theme. The world is full of great themes. Pick one that doesn't handcuff you. I want to love what you're doing. I want to be tempted to pay the ridiculously high prices that you're selling toys for. But for that kind of money I simply can't settle. It's too much. "The studio made us" doesn't matter to me, it's the end result that your name is on that counts. It's the game in my garage that I look at that I think about. Not the process. I don't want my pins to look like ads. End of story.

We still haven't seen the full game. If it's at Expo and I love it I'll say so, there's no grudges here, even with your silly demands that I remove my critique. I want it to sell well, and I'm excited that your third game is unlicensed.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Didn't you write a big article about TWD pinball? Was that not your article?

Yes, but it was news, not a personal expression. I love pinball, and I want it to thrive and succeed. Stern announcing a title that our audience at Ars loves (we've covered TWD show before) was a great chance to spread the news. And unlike these slow leaks (Hobbit, and even TBL) Stern puts out something that I can cover as an event. It's hard when bits trickle out slowly over months to package it together in a way that's fresh and interesting to both pinheads and those who aren't intimate with the hobby.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is all about risk. The theme in combination with a decent playfield layout and rules is what will ultimately sell a substantial number of games?

Sure, agreed. I personally think JJP is talking to a less mainstream audience, simply because of the price tag, and that they should cater to more of the pinball side, and less of the "grab that hot license" side. That's a Stern move. But I don't run the company. All I can do is be my own voice. The playfield had issues, several of us spoke up about them in a constructive way (not just bitching, but trying to provide actual helpful feedback) and the game came out better for it.

That's all I want now. I doubt anything will change on the cabinet, but I don't actually know that, so why not speak up?

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Quick example, very cool (imo) officially licensed print of the witch king:

Man, I came so close to buying that, but I already had one of the earlier Ring Wraith prints from Mondo and didn't want to double up. Seeing it again I'm regretting it though! So nice.

("Servants of Sauron" see it here: http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/1/23/two-awesome-new-lord-of-the-rings-mondo-posters.html)

I'm so 100% behind your point though. And if the studio won't play ball, find a licenser that will.

Quoted from Goronic:

I think it looks sweet. And as for the possible bar button mech - it is likely to me that JJP had that in the design long before TWD was announced - so I think that JJP didn't copy TWD at all.

Who said they copied TWD? AC/DC, Star Trek, Mustang, all had that. And really I don't care, if it's a good idea it's a good idea. Maybe once we know what it does it will just feel like the best thought. But to reveal it without context just makes it look "me too". Should have waited to reveal it with the full game.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Gonna go pick up Aurich right now. We've got some babies to eat.

Honk twice when you get here, I'll be right out.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Really simple - don't take what is not yours.
We are legally obligated to protect the license.

Really simple - no one took anything, don't go around making nonsense legal threats. Call your lawyer and have him explain the concept of fair use to you, specifically in the context of commentary and criticism. You'll learn something and you can stop looking foolish while throwing around words like "legally obligated" when you have no standing.

I'm trying to cut you some slack here, but you just want to keep digging your hole deeper. And frankly you're kind of pissing me off and making me less likely to want to buy your game.

Is this what it's really come to? You post some criticism of Hobbit, in a constructive fashion, and Jack shows up to throw a tantrum and make vague legal threats?

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Aurich, many people agree with your artistic views/style/comments not only in this thread, but others.

Thanks, and if people don't agree that's fine too. This is a discussion, no need for cheerleading, and I'm far from infallible.

Quoted from jfh:

And any JJP related thread is far better with Jack in it than not.

I'd argue every time Jack shows up to open his mouth here he just stirs up shit. He trash talks Pinside and then appears to make sure that he can self confirm his opinion.

Whatever, Jack can have his lawyers call me, until then (lol) I'll continue posting critiques. Of any company, I'm not out to get JJP in any way shape or form, just here to talk pinball.

Here's another one for the file, I'd love to see a "Ruby Red" version of Hobbit that has Smaug instead. Bring the red armor, and new decals that focus on Bilbo and the Dragon. Something along these lines:

Fan concept art, lawyers need not pick up telephoneFan concept art, lawyers need not pick up telephone

#254 9 years ago

If you like that image I made I suggest you save it before a moderator removes it. I'm draining this thread and will no longer be participating in it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hobbit-pics-what-do-you-see-new?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.