(Topic ID: 105447)

NEW Hobbit pics... what do you see new ?

By PinballSTAR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 507 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ricky.jpg
image-477.jpg
e4652ad9b9aaed45c9981415452f1cab.jpg
5cc3722c8e646521190d522518c2bf40.jpg
o-AIR-NEW-ZEALAND-SMAUG-PLANE-facebook-3.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.20.55 AM.png
image-653.jpg
Star trek 2.jpg
Star trek.jpg
hobbit-smaug-edition.jpg
image.jpg
hobbit 1-490.jpg
hobbit2.jpg
the_hobbit__whole_vision__by_arronyym-d5dmiqw.jpg
images.jpg
images (5).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraZ4Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What I see is that the goblin king with a nutsack for a chin gets top billing, and there's no f***ing Smaug anywhere. What's the matter, someone said "we crammed 45 different characters onto the cabinet art, there's no room for the god damn dragon"?
The powdercoat color looks nice enough, but not particularly unique. Until I read it was "seaside bronze" on the flyer I just assumed it was plain old armor. For an LE I'd prefer it stood out more as special, because that's really the point right? You don't get a whole lot else compared to a standard, so every part should really sing.
And really? A button in the middle of the lockdown bar? I mean, fine, whatever, but when I see that I see "hey, let's be like Stern" which isn't exactly what I thought the JJP mantra would be. It feels like Star Trek or Mustang or AC/DC or TWD LE when I look at that.
They still didn't recess the Start button, and that sucks. It looks bad, and people are going to bump it on accident. Recessing was figured out years ago, there's a reason why companies do it. Easy enough to change out the yellow side buttons for something that looks nice, but hard to fix the Start button.
Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, but if this is what they've got to tease so far it's disappointing. I hope the full package when seen in person (Expo please?) really makes me change my mind. I want to like this. And I'll happily change my tune if it looks great. But so far ... eh.

Holy cow ... if I noted just one of these concerns I would be blown out of the water for being an epic troll. But all true sadly ...

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't hate JJP at all! In fact, I love the Hobbit theme, and I want it to be great. I don't see any value in staying silent though, there's zero chance things will be fixed (instead of really low chance) if we don't say something.

^ This. This is all I've been saying all along. I noted many things I really liked but those posts were always ignored. One thing in particular I wish JJP would have done is tried using a new artist for the toys ... and for stating that I get bashed to no end now.

I do find it particularly ironic that for all of Jack's talk about the competition stealing their ideas (which apparently has been his reason for not showing much on Hobbit) JJP now has a button in the middle of the lockdown bar. Hmm, I wonder where that idea came from.

#64 9 years ago

One little touch I noticed ... there appears to be some decorative border around the LCD now (although it's hard to tell for certain if it's part of the backglass itself or simply part of the LCD animation.) But I like that they tried to frame the LCD with a decorative border (at least something.) I never cared for that on WOZ ... that the LCD just seemed floating there. Nice little touch!

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's great news about the LE. That's an excellent way to offer value to customers at today's NIB LE prices. I wish more pinball companies did that.

I actually do not understand this strategy at all. I think it hurts sales to not better differentiate the LE from a standard. Invisiglass and shaker can easily be added to a standard. Powdercoating could be too, but it's not as easily added and the quality is hard to match. So powdercoating is really the only differentiator on the LE?? That's crazy IMO. People want something really unique on an LE to make it worth paying that little extra and collecting ... different cabinet artwork, a topper, additional toy figures (that does not change game play), etc. Why would anyone rush to throw money at this game? They can just as easily sit back and see what used prices are on the LE in a year. Or wait and see how cheap they can get a regular (and forgo the powdercoating.) We're seeing people selling NIB standard WOZ's with shaker and Invisiglass on here in the $6500 range? Will it be the same with Hobbit? Why not?

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You don't get it and are now just showing your hate for JJP even more. Do you get invisiglass with a Stern LE for $7500. No. Do you get a shaker with a Stern LE for $7500? Not anymore. Do you get a high quality powder coat (external and gameplay parts) with a Stern LE for $7500? No. Do you get a headphone jack with a Stern LE for $7500? No. JJP actually justifies their LE prices with unique features and tech.

What does Stern have to do with anything? I'm not saying JJP games aren't great bang for your buck. I'm saying I don't see any reason to rush to get your hands on an LE. I'm simply comparing a regular edition JJP game to their LE version of the game. Period. Relax.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Why rush to throw money at the game? To lock in the price and potentially get a much better value.

HobbitLE isn't as enticing at $7500 but we'll just have to wait and see what the final game and pricing looks like.

Hobbit LE is 8k right now. The point is ... if I'm understanding Jack correctly .. the only really unique feature of the Hobbit LE that might be tough to duplicate is the powder coating (and presumably a unique "LE number" somewhere on the apron.) Well whoopty doo. Yes, you get the shaker and Invisiglass thrown in. BUT ... if WOZ is any indication of what's to come, we will probably see some Hobbit regular editions, with Invisiglass and shaker thrown in, selling for around $6500 a year from now (like we've seen recently with WOZ). Who the heck feels the need to get in now at 8k just for the powder coating??? That's crazy. I don't mean for this to come across simply as a slam on JJP ... but doesn't this thought go through other consumer's minds too?

The game may very well be incredibly fun (I'm confident it will be). But JJP's strategy for maximizing sales (profits) is ludicrous in my mind. They are not making the most of the effort put into making this game. Why do I care? Because I really do care about the future of pinball. The only reason I'm not in on the LE right now is because of my point above.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Well u won't have my headphone kit now in the standard only the le. I don't think some people care anyway

I've never used the headphone jack on my WOZ even one time. BUT .. if this is the one additional extra in addition to the powder coating at least it's something. It's certainly worth pointing out. But still not enough in my mind to differentiate the LE.

I think the headphone jack may be nice in a noisy environment where you want to hear the game sound. But it's not what I originally thought the intent was ... which was to keep the game quiet when you want to play late at night (and may have kids.) It turns out, the game music/sounds are not the issue. It's the ball smacking around the game and me smacking the flippers and bumping the game that makes the most sound. Thus, once the kids go down for bed ... my wife does not want me playing, period. So if anything, the headphone jack may make more sense for the 'standard' edition where games go on location and there is a ton of noise (and harder to hear the game sounds.)

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

How about this one just posted on Twitter? Anything new on this?

image.jpg 114 KB

Wow, yes! Smaug still appears missing ... but that upkicker trough (with a decal on it?) appears to drop into the right wireform? That's kind of interesting.

#165 9 years ago

I don't know ... I keep looking at this playfield and I'm definitely not feeling the "WOW" factor. Just meh. I'm confident the ruleset will be amazing .. but visually ... meh. That tiny Smaug on the middle playfield artwork drives me nuts. And considering the blah pop-up toys, the middle pf is lacking. There has to be something under the playfield there, no? Some surprise there must be coming. Why else would it be so wide open there with no inserts? My favorite part of the pf are the crossover ramps at the top ... I really like how those are laid out and looking forward to how the software (and diverter) control the ball flow there. I think that will be a really fun aspect of the game!

#172 9 years ago

I also keep thinking that 5" lcd on the playfield must be coming too. But I think the only place it would fit would be above the red targets to the right of the right ramp entrance, no? And if it does go there, how much will it block the view of the bumpers/toppers? It will be interesting to see how everything fits in there.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I think the majority would rather have smaug on the sides, the sides are made for smaug to fit on. That center button is lame, it makes sense on ACDC because the cannon gives you time to hit it, if its for a diverter its gonna be a pain in the ass to use the diverter while youre trying to flip, it needs to be moved next to the flipper buttons. Lets face it, smaug and bilbo are the stars of the movie, smaug needs to be prominent. No hate for JJP here just my opinions and I hope some of these things are changed. This will be the most money ive dropped on a machine and when someone comes into my gameroom I want it to stick out as such.

This goes back to a comment I've made a few times. There is simply a lack of artistic cohesiveness across WOZ and Hobbit (so far). As if everyone works in a silo. The cabinet graphics artist creates art without considerations of the playfield/game. The playfield artist works separate from him, etc. etc. I think Hobbit (so far) seems a little more cohesive than WOZ ... but we'll know more next week with the game reveal. A very BIG factor that we are yet to see/experience is the game lighting itself. Game lighting can change the mood and fun factor of a game tremendously. Next to seeing what Smaug looks like, game lighting is THE next biggest element I'm looking forward to seeing. I really hope a lot of thought was put into the GI, the lighting of toys, and the playfield itself. Can't wait.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Because the LE price to start will eventually be less than the standard later on. Im gettting a discount for being in on it early. Expect the price to go up upon release.

I am not sure I understand your point. The LE price "will eventually be less than the standard price"? I expect when the Hobbit LE's sell out (from distributors, not JJP), that the price of the regular edition will be advertised around 8K MSRP, same as WOZ. BUT ... the LE price is firm at 8K. There is no wiggle room. When the 'regular' edition becomes listed at 8k MSRP ... I suspect we'll see games actually selling for around $6500 similar to what WOZ is doing right now. Soooo ... don't you have to stop and think, hmmm, why pay 8k to simply have the powder coating (and headphone jack?) when i could wait 6-12 months and basically get the exact same fun game (minus the powder coating and headphone jack) for around $6500?? There isn't much incentive to rush to get in on the LE is my point. Especially since history tells us LE prices are very likely to drop significantly and you can pick up a used Hobbit LE for much less within a year.

I'm only pointing out that I think a much more strategic line of thinking could greatly increase sales for JJP. They may be making an awesome game ... but their marketing strategy is way off right now and costing them $$$. Not only could it cost them sales on this game ... but if I'm right, I believe it will really impact future sales as well unfortunately.

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Also, the vuk on the upper left above the habitrail almost looks like it could be Smaug's head? it's not shaped like a traditional vuk.

I've already suggested this exact same point elsewhere previously. That upkicker on the left could possibly (likely?) be Smaug's neck/head there. AND ... if you look at the upkicker on the right of the playfield, possibly that is his tail?? (as if his whole body is under the playfield.) So, perhaps behind the drop targets is just a pile of Gold or some other molded figure?? We've been mislead for a while I think. I'm really thinking that is the case now!

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Still don't understand the point of the third flipper. Seems like the two main flippers can nail every shot.

There appears to be a loop (trough) behind those 3 drop targets on the left (where we were speculating Smaug would be) that may only be made (or best made) by the upper right flipper specifically. That's what it looks like to me.

Given that latest playfield picture ... I just cannot see ANY way there will be a full body molded Smaug figure in that small upper area on the left there (it would just be too small or certainly only part of Smaug.) I really think that VUK there will be Smaug's neck/head and behind the drop targets a different type of toy (maybe just a pile of Gold but possibly something else.)

I think folks who were hoping for a full body Smaug figure/toy (like me) in that area will be disappointed. But I'm sure it will be something innovative.

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

As alluded to in other posts, it appears that Smaug will not be in that spot at all. I'd wager a pile of gold or something similar will take its place. Another question is what does the end of the center upper right ramp have on the end of it for the ball path to continue? Hopefully it don't just dump the ball into the bumper area from that height.
Just speculation

Yes, so cabinet art aside, let's get back to that playfield picture! If the VUK on the left is in fact Smaug's neck and head sticking up there (and possibly his tail on the other VUK on the right side of the playfield) what could the toy/figure behind the drop targets be? Just a pile of shimmering Gold? Maybe some sort of castle figure/walls with Gold in it? Thoughts? I never read the books so I don't know if there is some significant scene/setting in the 3rd movie that could be represented there?

Also, if Smaug is not an actual toy (modeled figure) does anyone care? I was personally looking forward to an animated/moving Smaug figure but quite possibly they have somthing even more cool in mind? I can't see how a sufficiently large Smaug toy could fit back there now.

#316 9 years ago

Oh, one last thought on the cabinet artwork ... I think the "nutsack chin" is a great nod to the LOTR LE Gandalf "beard penis"!

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Take it from me, Red armor wouldn't look good and the color people have been showing in this thread is not even close to representative of the real color.
Also everyone is making their judgements on a RENDERING. It's not even a picture of a real machine.
Ex: Coin door. Its the same exact machine rendering as woz with different art on the side. Did anyone ever see the headphone jack on the original woz renderings? Nope. But it's there. Cracks me up to no end..
I also don't like Aurich's version. A singular picture of smaug on each side? It's very bland and uniform. Doesn't show anything of substance. Similar to that airline smaug. Not everything art wise needs to be symmetrical.

You know a thread has run its' course when all we're left with are the usual JJP pumpers and the "JJP can do no wrong" folks.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

No it doesn't in person

Right, everyone is just wrong for thinking Aurich's 10 minute mock-up looks awesome. I wonder what he could do if he was given 2 years.

#408 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

P.S. Your currently the most thumbs downed person in both the month of September and to date October as well. Congratulations! (P.S. Everyone else is the problem LOL).

1) While you may care about thumbs up or thumbs down to boost your ego, I could care less.
2) As I've stated before, the overwhelming majority of the thumbs down come from the same handful of people (and only in a JJP thread, odd) ... if it makes them feel better then great. But it certainly doesn't bother me.
3) Why do you continue to make every JJP discussion that is negative about me? As if I'm the reason a lot of folks expressed that they don't like the cabinet artwork? Or I'm the reason so many people expressed negative opinions about the 4 pop-up toys?

P.S - You need to contact Robin and explain that the "Ignore" functionality on this site is apparently not working properly. It's bizarre that despite you stating I'm "literally the only person on this site you have on ignore", you keep seeing my posts. Weird.

#433 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I removed you from "Ignore". I needed more comedy on this site And no a majority of the thumbs down don't come from the same folks. It's spread across everyone Again I have no issue with negative comments. Yours aren't just negative; they are trite, comical, and pedantic (I can link to a dictionary if you need to look that one up.).
Thumbs up and down isn't about ego. It's just a litmus test of agreement on a topic. And a predominant amount of people disagree with nearly everything you post. So again it must be everyone else that has the issues, not you.

Please show me my post(s) in this thread that you deem to be "trite, comical, and pedantic"

I dont have to look any further back then your post above for an example of you acting jeuvenile, condescending, and egotistical.

#434 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You don't play the cabinet art.

While obviously true I'm pretty sure there is good reason why arcade video game manufacturers are creating ever more impressive cabinets, signage, light shows, etc. It simply adds to the "cool factor" of the game.

#438 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

One example:

Really? Thats it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraZ4Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hobbit-pics-what-do-you-see-new?tu=CraZ4Pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.