(Topic ID: 105447)

NEW Hobbit pics... what do you see new ?

By PinballSTAR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 507 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ricky.jpg
image-477.jpg
e4652ad9b9aaed45c9981415452f1cab.jpg
5cc3722c8e646521190d522518c2bf40.jpg
o-AIR-NEW-ZEALAND-SMAUG-PLANE-facebook-3.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.20.55 AM.png
image-653.jpg
Star trek 2.jpg
Star trek.jpg
hobbit-smaug-edition.jpg
image.jpg
hobbit 1-490.jpg
hobbit2.jpg
the_hobbit__whole_vision__by_arronyym-d5dmiqw.jpg
images.jpg
images (5).jpg
There are 507 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
#351 9 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

...turns out it was misaligned and a screw was completely missing from whoever assembled it at the factory. Glad I didn't listen...

I'm glad you didn't listen too. Your description sounded like the arm that stops the balls and lifts up to release them, was hooking the first ball and trying to lift it.

It would be conceited to think I'm perfect and able to be accurate on every email or phone call.

LTG : )

#352 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Also, if Smaug is not an actual toy (modeled figure) does anyone care? I was personally looking forward to an animated/moving Smaug figure but quite possibly they have somthing even more cool in mind? I can't see how a sufficiently large Smaug toy could fit back there now.

Matt said in a previous thread that Smaug was completed. So the chance is very well there that Smaug is a modeled figure.

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Every now and then it would be nice to get a machine and just PLAY.

Maybe this is not the right hobby for you. A Playstation 4 is probably a better option.

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You know the guy who did the Hobbit playfield is the same guy who is art director for TBL...just saying.

I thought it was the other graphic designer on staff, was the game accredited to him? Either way Aurich's mock up looks better to me.

#355 9 years ago

Man Aurich's red armor really pops from the pict... me likes it, a lot!

#356 9 years ago

Wow, Aurich, amazing Smaug edition! One of the coolest looking things ever.

hobbit-smaug-edition.jpg 245 KB

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Honestly - I love the Passion from everyone especially Aurich. We do have a responsibility to our Agreement to protect the IP we license. It's all in good fun here and we all love Pinball.
We do listen to suggestions as we have seen. We have made mistakes and I'm certain we will makes more in the future too, maybe smaller ones I hope.
We all want to see the very best Pinball made - but - sometimes with a license - your hands are tied.
The game will be at Expo - contrary to what Mike Pacak wrote (???) and believe it or not - there have been many pinball machines built after 1933 outside of Chicago too.
We are looking forward to a really fun time at Expo and it is a great time for Pinball - Thanks!

Jack,

Please make Aurich's version for the LE (or at least make it an option ala choosing colors on the MMRLE). It is simply badass.

Looking forward to getting my Hobbit. Keep up the good work.

Darin

#358 9 years ago

As much as I applaud Aurich for having a go, I have to say I don't really like his version. I think it looks weird just having the head of the dragon on the side of the cabinet. Also, in the picture he has chosen I can't really make out what's what, where is the dragon's eye, etc. Maybe it is because there is not enough contrast with the background. I think cabinet art has to be simple, striking and clear from a distance. I think if there was going to be a Smaug version it would be better if it the side art had a picture of the whole dragon, maybe with the tail going up onto the side of the cabinet head. Kinda like that Smaug airplane they did:

5cc3722c8e646521190d522518c2bf40.jpg5cc3722c8e646521190d522518c2bf40.jpg

o-AIR-NEW-ZEALAND-SMAUG-PLANE-facebook-3.jpgo-AIR-NEW-ZEALAND-SMAUG-PLANE-facebook-3.jpg
#359 9 years ago

It's amazing how much slamming Jack takes for this type of stupid shit. The machine looks insane, and I'm going to say it, best looking layout in at least 20 years, and .... what else....? ORIGINAL!

Borg and Gary please note that ***ORGINAL IS STILL IS POSSIBLE***, but not while surfing coattails of the real designers or restricting the real designers you have.

If he didn't put all the characters on it, you would have the exact same opposite argument "the smaug???? it was only in the three movies for a bit at the end of 2 and three!, what about all the hobbits???".

#360 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's amazing how much slamming Jack takes for this type of stupid shit. The machine looks insane, and I'm going to say it, best looking layout in at least 20 years, and .... what else....? ORIGINAL!
Borg and Gary please note that ***ORGINAL IS STILL IS POSSIBLE***, but not while surfing coattails of the real designers or restricting the real designers you have.
If he didn't put all the characters on it, you would have the exact same opposite argument "the smaug???? it was only in the three movies for a bit at the end of 2 and three!, what about all the hobbits???".

Great post! I am still very happy with my Hobbit preorder. Can't wait for pictures from the complete game.

#361 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Good points. Just looking at the latest playfield photo revealed on Twitter I thought "The pic doesn't even show Smaug and the games other toys in place yet in this state it already offers more then TWDLE". For the $7500-$9k price points JJP is currently offering the most value (toys, features, tech, LE options) and interesting rulsets with deep complete code in the pinball industry.

I do think that DP can match JJP in most of the areas that I desribed above but I need to see a completed game in terms of code. For $8500 TBL should include a shaker, and an invisigalss type playfield glass. Stern however is behind and what they are doing with TWDLE seems like charging $50k for a Ford Focus ST (but with no My Touch aka LCD or stereo sound system) while the competition (JJP and DP) offer far much more value for about the same price.

#362 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Nutsack multiball?

The Scrobbit
The Knobbit
Slobbing on Bobbit

Smaug doesn't spew fire, he spews a money shot! (Cue wa wa guitar)

#363 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Nutsack multiball?

I've been playing Hitler's Nutsack Multiball on every machine: Only one ball at a time.

#364 9 years ago

You are arguing about cabinet art that is like a year old. You can't actually think it still looks the same.

#365 9 years ago

Sorry to say, but obviously Smaurich's cabinet would never be approved by WB as he used some other artwork for his mockup: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/deathwing-vs-smaug-and-alduin-1537380
And why a red trim? I can't really remember seeing something this red in the movies.
Aurich could have done better than that.

#366 9 years ago

1 - What you see in the flyer might not be the final version, so if you really like it, it might not be good to get to attached to it.

2 - Aurich's concept was whipped up in 20 minutes, give the guy a break..

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

Sorry to say, but obviously Smaurich's cabinet would never be approved by WB as he used some other artwork for his mockup: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/deathwing-vs-smaug-and-alduin-1537380
And why a red trim? I can't really remember seeing something this red in the movies.

It was a quick example of what could be not something he put a lot of work into. Red trim is a nice compliment to fire. Aurich's mockup is far better than anything shown on the real machine so far IMO. It's actually exciting vs feeling like a family picture, balls and all

#368 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

It was a quick mockup, not something that was meant to be ready to hit the press tomorrow.

#369 9 years ago

Well, it obviously was a quick mockup. Point is that people might think this is actual movie artwork while it isn't...(It's not even Smaug) That causes quite some confusion, as you see in this thread.

#370 9 years ago

Let's just hope the Expo will be awesome and that everybody gets what he or she likes most.

TH is a pinball machine and the art doesn't have to be top notch in mine opinion. Yes, I did have comments but in the end it is the whole package that makes it a win or not. And I got a feeling TH is going to be a big win

Game on

#371 9 years ago

Personally, I really like the cabinet side art shown by JJP. In addition, I like the idea of different side art such as that created by Aurich. What, to me, doesn't fit in Aurich's mock-up is the ruby red color on the rails and legs. I think JJP has it right - silver/plain for the standard hardware and the special bronze (or whatever it is called) on the LE. That color fits the theme totally - sorta like ruby read and emerald green fit WOZ.

I like the pale orc on the right side - excellent character in the movies. I dislike the goblin king completely, simply because he has what I consider a very inconsequential part in the 3 movies (not because he has a scrotum for a chin!)... and reminds me of jar jar binks somewhat.

Would it be incredible if THLE had unique cabinet side art? Absolutely. Would it be awesome if it featured Smaug or something else unique? Absolutely. If the LE has the same cabinet art as the standard, I'm ultimately fine with that. I'm not looking at the side art anyway when I'm playing, and half the side art will be blocked by my LOTR (I'll probably put the LOTR on the goblin king side!!). I'm significantly more interested in the playfield, the game play, the LCD, flow, rules, etc.

Very excited to see the full layout during Expo - very much looking forward to pics. Perhaps we will all be surprised. Regardless, not everyone will be happy at the end of the day - that's not a bad thing since there are other pin manufacturers out there.

And yes, I'm in on THLE. It'll be my first NIB and my second pin.

#372 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

Because it just looks bad ass!!!!!!!

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

You forgot the comma between "bad" and "ass."

#374 9 years ago

^^^^^^^ a thurs morn wet key board incident. thanks boob

#375 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

It looks cool but out of place considering the theme in my opinion. I think a gold metallic trim would look even better for a Smaug LE.

#376 9 years ago

please do not even think of bright red trim....Champagne suits my taste much better!

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Just curious to the typical thumbs downers of anything positively said about a JJP game, which was it this time, the fact that the game is the best layout in 20 years, that it's an original design, or the notion that stern copies stuff and can't come up with original?

#378 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

the fact that the game is the best layout in 20 years

From a distance, it looks like a good layout to me. "Best layout in 20 years"?

I wouldn't rate any playfield that borrows its lower PF from 1986 High Speed, "best in 20" -- you'll have to have an original lower AND upper playfield to earn that designation from me.

I am much more inclined to award that designation to WOOLY, but I need to review his CAD drawings first, and I haven't seen any yet.

"Best layout since (1995) ... TOM", I think deserves its own thread and voting...

-mof

#379 9 years ago

1986 High Speed was... lemme see if I got crazy maff skillz... more than 20 years ago.

#380 9 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

1986 High Speed was... lemme see if I got crazy maff skillz... more than 20 years ago.

Exactly, yet it's been the de facto cookie cutter lower PF layout borrowed most in the last 20 years.

1. Ball save on left
2. 2 slings
3. one inlane and one outlane on L and R
4. no lower PF pops
5. (likely) stationary targets on left and/or right

The other 5 post-High Speed games in my collection do NOT copy this lower PF layout (Taxi, WW, Diner, Space Station, Cyclone). It became "somewhat" standardized after it's design. In recent years, very much so.

I think it's important to mix things up in the lower AND the upper PF when you are going for "best PF design in 20 years." I think WOOLY may have just done that. Don't know yet...

-mof

#381 9 years ago

Can't argue with that, was just being a smartass!

My guess, and a totally uneducated one at that, is the reason said design has been perpetuated so much is because it works very well. That said, naming something the "best" seems subjective to me. What may be best for me may not be best for you.

I agree it is important to mix things up. Has to be done to keep pinball alive and attract new blood.

I just hope TH is a crap-ton of fun and it offers lots of cool features / game play. Not terribly worried if it has features / aspects that are rehashed from other pins. The overall package matters more in my opinion.

#382 9 years ago

Take it from me, Red armor wouldn't look good and the color people have been showing in this thread is not even close to representative of the real color.

Also everyone is making their judgements on a RENDERING. It's not even a picture of a real machine.

Ex: Coin door. Its the same exact machine rendering as woz with different art on the side. Did anyone ever see the headphone jack on the original woz renderings? Nope. But it's there. Cracks me up to no end..

I also don't like Aurich's version personally but his previous comments were helpful.

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd love to see a "Ruby Red" version of Hobbit that has Smaug instead.

Looks fantastic!

#384 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Looks fantastic!

No it doesn't in person

#385 9 years ago

You guys realize that a button on the lockdown bar goes way back before Stern, right?

Riverboat Gambler for example. And bingo machines before that. It dates back at least to the 70s, probably further.

#386 9 years ago

official, fully populated playfield pics would be nice but i don't expect that to happen before expo. too bad.

Nevermind. Expo is a week away! I just realized that. lol

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Take it from me, Red armor wouldn't look good and the color people have been showing in this thread is not even close to representative of the real color.
Also everyone is making their judgements on a RENDERING. It's not even a picture of a real machine.
Ex: Coin door. Its the same exact machine rendering as woz with different art on the side. Did anyone ever see the headphone jack on the original woz renderings? Nope. But it's there. Cracks me up to no end..
I also don't like Aurich's version. A singular picture of smaug on each side? It's very bland and uniform. Doesn't show anything of substance. Similar to that airline smaug. Not everything art wise needs to be symmetrical.

You know a thread has run its' course when all we're left with are the usual JJP pumpers and the "JJP can do no wrong" folks.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

No it doesn't in person

Right, everyone is just wrong for thinking Aurich's 10 minute mock-up looks awesome. I wonder what he could do if he was given 2 years.

#388 9 years ago

Coupled with the moronic tools who have nothing positive to say and continually contribute posts lacking of substance...

Couldn't agree more.

I find it absolutely amazing that a bunch of adults lob BS at each other over a pinball machine. Guess I now need to include myself in that group.

It would be so nice if threads would stay on track. If you want to say something negative or non-constructive, start your own thread. Simple as that. If you have something positive to contribute or want to offer constructive criticism, do it up.

#389 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Will the pin at the expo have the powder coated trim?

#390 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No it doesn't in person

So you made one?

#391 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Right, everyone is just wrong for thinking Aurich's 10 minute mock-up looks awesome. I wonder what he could do if he was given 2 years.

You're assuming everyone liked Aurich's mock-up. Sure seemed to me it was split between like and dislike, unless my understanding of the English language has failed me...

I know I stated I preferred JJP's design overall versus Aurich's mock-up. Not that his mock-up didn't have merit as it certainly did.

You seem to tailor your interpretation/understanding of a thread/post to justify your argument more than you should.

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

You're assuming everyone liked Aurich's mock-up. Sure seemed to me it was split between like and dislike, unless my understanding of the English language has failed me...
I know I stated I preferred JJP's design overall versus Aurich's mock-up. Not that his mock-up didn't have merit as it certainly did.
You seem to tailor your interpretation/understanding of a thread/post to justify your argument more than you should.

Aurichs is more like something stern would do. Bright and Flashy

#393 9 years ago

yes I agree with this. Im leaning towards the original as well nutsack or no nutsack! I will assume that Smaug will be well represented on and in the machine itself. Aurich's quick design is cool and has merit, however this is "the Hobbit" not "Smaug". The whole journey is what I'm looking forward too and I believe someone in the 'know" said that we don't even know what a journey is yet as far as a pinball machine goes and i am far more loving the games that are not based on points alone but journeys to the wizard modes! Cant wait for this and TBL !

#394 9 years ago

I could give a rat’s ass what the cab has on it. 8 pages of stuff on the cab... you know, the parts that will likely be sandwiched between the other machines you have.

I care about PF, layout, and rules first and foremost. They are the key ingredients. Many other aspects are minor, and honestly, if this game rocks, there could be teletubbies being chased down by a fire breathing Barney on the cab for all I care.

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

So you made one?

I'm sure the factory hung different color rails on one to decide which one to go forward with.

LTG : )

#396 9 years ago

This is a great discussion and while I do like Aurich's design, as stated, this machine, and for that matter the books, are all about a journey of Bilbo and the characters he encounters along the way. Yes, one big one being smaug. If stern did the machine and was one big bash toy in the middle (of Smaug) Then this mock up would be perfect, but its not. This is apparently gonna take us on an adventure unto itself and for that I believe representing all along the way will fit this "style" of machine a lot better. One persons opinion.

#397 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich's quick design is cool and has merit, however this is "the Hobbit" not "Smaug".

You don't have to give Smaug a solo shot on the cabinet, but as you say it's the Hobbit, not "Goblin King vs. generic Orc guy they invented to help stretch a 200 page book into a nine hour, three part movie, featuring special guests the Hobbit and friends." I seriously think if you shrank those uglies down (or cropped them out entirely) you'd satisfy 90% of those complaining about the cabinet art, even if those with an eye for design would still think a "cast of characters" lineup is not very interesting/engaging.

#398 9 years ago

Run Tinky Winky run!!

#399 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

This is apparently gonna take us on an adventure unto itself and for that I believe representing all along the way will fit this "style" of machine a lot better. One persons opinion.

Agree. Lets keep in mind what KJ said (second hand info but reliable source... I think)...he will show us what a properly mode based game is. This alone gets my anticipation up. Artwork (cabinet) important....not be all, gameplay...all important. When games are sandwiched in other pins, the only time you take notice of the cab is when you move them...meh, at least to me. But what it currently is, is more than fine, a good representation of the storyline.

#400 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

the fact that the game is the best layout in 20 years

Hardly a fact and IMO not even close.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

or the notion that stern copies stuff and can't come up with original?

What does Stern have to do with a thread on Hobbit? Oh yeah, you're one of those guys who causes trouble and drama by arguing your preferred toy is better than other people's toy. Grab your turtle wax at the door.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 507 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hobbit-pics-what-do-you-see-new/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.