(Topic ID: 105447)

NEW Hobbit pics... what do you see new ?

By PinballSTAR

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 507 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ricky.jpg
image-477.jpg
e4652ad9b9aaed45c9981415452f1cab.jpg
5cc3722c8e646521190d522518c2bf40.jpg
o-AIR-NEW-ZEALAND-SMAUG-PLANE-facebook-3.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.20.55 AM.png
image-653.jpg
Star trek 2.jpg
Star trek.jpg
hobbit-smaug-edition.jpg
image.jpg
hobbit 1-490.jpg
hobbit2.jpg
the_hobbit__whole_vision__by_arronyym-d5dmiqw.jpg
images.jpg
images (5).jpg
There are 507 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
#301 9 years ago

As alluded to in other posts, it appears that Smaug will not be in that spot at all. I'd wager a pile of gold or something similar will take its place. Another question is what does the end of the center upper right ramp have on the end of it for the ball path to continue? Hopefully it don't just dump the ball into the bumper area from that height.

Just speculation

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Another question is what does the end of the center upper right ramp have on the end of it for the ball path to continue? Hopefully it don't just dump the ball into the bumper area from that height.
Just speculation

It turns into a habitrail that continues all the way to the right inlane.

--Luke

#303 9 years ago

I still think this is has the chance to be the best machine ever made.

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It better be as The Hobbit will be my 1st NIB happy to say.

#305 9 years ago

Holy Shit! Lol
I get home from work turn on Pinside.com & let the fireworks begin!
I would like to arrange a celebrity Cage Fight: Aurich vs. Jersey Jack.
Showdown @ the Expo! Winner chooses the Side Art for TH.

Seriously though, I love the passion here in this thread, & the interaction from Jack!
Best thread I've read in a long time!

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Why doesn't the coin door have a slot for a bill acceptor??

Don't know if production ones will have it or not. Flyers are often different from actual game.

I wouldn't worry. It's a 5 minute thing to swap a door.

LTG : )™

#307 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Don't know if production ones will have it or not. Flyers are often different from actual game.

5 min and $500

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I've heard you say this more than once here. I'm not on the JJP hate bandwagon, and I'm a huge fan of WOZ...but something about this absolutely stinks to me.

Flyers are by definition advertizing, and representing a product different than what the customer receives is the textbook definition of false advertizing. Which, since we are taking the legal high-ground is this thread, is illegal.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand how showing someone a picture of a $7k+ toy and asking for a preorder (with zero disclaimer that anything can change), then switching things up with the excuse "oh that was just a flyer" is justifiable. If someone can explain that to me I'd be grateful.

#309 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I've heard you say this more than once here. I'm not on the JJP hate bandwagon, and I'm a huge fan of WOZ...but something about this absolutely stinks to me.
Flyers are by definition advertizing, and representing a product different than what the customer receives is the textbook definition of false advertizing. Which, since we are taking the legal high-ground is this thread, is illegal.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand how showing someone a picture of a $7k+ toy and asking for a preorder, then switching things up with the excuse "oh that was just a flyer" is justifiable. If someone can explain that to me I'd be grateful.

Are you implying the games shown in the flyers are better looking to get pre-orders and then use less expensive material in the production to reduce cost and increase profits? Are you implying bait and switch is being used here?

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

5 min and $500

You need to find a different source for a door. Usually about $100.

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Are you implying the games shown in the flyers are better looking to get pre-orders and then use less expensive material in the production to reduce cost and increase profits? Are you implying bait and switch is being used here?

I'm not implying any of that or suggesting the JJP is intentionally trying to dupe people. I just don't think its right to show a customer one version of something, and then deliver it with noticeable differences.

The shooter rod on 75th Anniversary WOZ is a perfect example of this. It was shown in the flyer having a candy apple shooter which fit the theme perfectly, however it shipped with a generic black one. I know this disappointed a non-trivial amount of people. You can argue that it's insignificant and can be easily fixed, but on an ultra premium high end product you shouldn't need to fix anything, you should get exactly what you were promised.

#312 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I'm not implying any of that or suggesting the JJP is intentionally trying to dupe people. I just don't think its right to show a customer one version of something, and then deliver it with noticeable differences.
The shooter rod on 75th Anniversary WOZ is a perfect example of this. It was shown in the flyer having a candy apple shooter which fit the theme perfectly, however it shipped with a generic black one. I know this disappointed a non-trivial amount of people. You can argue that it's insignificant and can be easily fixed, but on an ultra premium high end product you shouldn't need to fix anything, you should get exactly what you were promised.

I think part of it is due diligence. If i was spending whatever a 75th WOZ costs, ill assume $8500 based off a flyer, I would make sure the picture on the flyer matched the version shipped to me (prior to purchase). If it didn't I would want to know the differences. It would also be good customer service if JJP and distributors were pro-active in telling their customers this.

I also assume preorders have some legal jargon telling them whats shipped could be different then picture.

#313 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

Well I agree with your statement as it makes a buyer feel as though they were "cheated" in a way, hell look at the whole coin mech issue with Rick! However ...... this is the way pinball has been for decades if not from the beginning. You can go back and look at old flyers and see considerable differences between the flyer and what made it to the production! Doesn't make it right but it is what it is!

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

As alluded to in other posts, it appears that Smaug will not be in that spot at all. I'd wager a pile of gold or something similar will take its place. Another question is what does the end of the center upper right ramp have on the end of it for the ball path to continue? Hopefully it don't just dump the ball into the bumper area from that height.
Just speculation

Yes, so cabinet art aside, let's get back to that playfield picture! If the VUK on the left is in fact Smaug's neck and head sticking up there (and possibly his tail on the other VUK on the right side of the playfield) what could the toy/figure behind the drop targets be? Just a pile of shimmering Gold? Maybe some sort of castle figure/walls with Gold in it? Thoughts? I never read the books so I don't know if there is some significant scene/setting in the 3rd movie that could be represented there?

Also, if Smaug is not an actual toy (modeled figure) does anyone care? I was personally looking forward to an animated/moving Smaug figure but quite possibly they have somthing even more cool in mind? I can't see how a sufficiently large Smaug toy could fit back there now.

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Maybe pins like TGIF or badges like the boyscouts would work better then

Same guy that makes my shirts can do buttons. thanks.

Coming soon: Pinside Flair!

#316 9 years ago

Oh, one last thought on the cabinet artwork ... I think the "nutsack chin" is a great nod to the LOTR LE Gandalf "beard penis"!

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

Since JJP doesn't have everything nailed down at the time they collect pre-orders, I expect that the initial list of features and artwork may change as the machines get closer to production.

I seem to recall them saying something to this effect but don't know where to find the exact quote now.

I think the way they get around this is by offering a refund if you're not satisfied with the finished product.

Sometimes not sticking to an initial list of features can be a good thing. In the case of WOZ, the machine turned out to be so much more than what was initially stated. In my eyes, the RGB leds, crystal ball, direct print cabinet, headphone jack and wide body more than made up for the dropped "interactive topper" feature.

#318 9 years ago

This is to be expected when you order so far in advance that nothing is built yet.

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Oh, one last thought on the cabinet artwork ... I think the "nutsack chin" is a great nod to the LOTR LE Gandalf "beard penis"!

Man, come on.. I already said that twice in this thread..

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

It would also be good customer service if JJP and distributors were pro-active in telling their customers this.

I think this is what I'm getting at. I realize that a lot of things change during development, but for the price people are paying, I feel like it should be 100% clear before shipping what is going to be different from any advertizement.

Quoted from meSz:

However ...... this is the way pinball has been for decades if not from the beginning. You can go back and look at old flyers and see considerable differences between the flyer and what made it to the production! Doesn't make it right but it is what it is!

Well...just because it's been the normal in the past, like you said, doesn't make any more right now. Until recently, pins have been sold primary to operators who couldn't give a rat's A what color the shooter rod is. But it's different now. These machines are being sold as high end collectables, and small details matter to people putting out $7k++ to have these things in their home. There needs to be higher standards.

#321 9 years ago

Wonder how everyone would react if Smaug just ended up being another interactive torso toy like Hulk, Wolverine, and the Well Walker?

#322 9 years ago

I love interactive torso's, doesn't everyone? Once you've had an interactive torso its tough to go back.

#323 9 years ago

I really think JJP should put Aurich on the team before Stern puts him on theirs.

#324 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The pot calling the kettle black

I have no clue what you're referring too

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I have no clue what you're referring too. Wait, I already said that!

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Passion all the way around is a great thing! Good to see it. Nothing wrong with an "F U", "your ideas suck" "I'm an idiot" comment being thrown around.

It's great for the creative process. You all know we can holler at each other and then have a beer together. The spice of life Ladies!

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Wonder how everyone would react if Smaug just ended up being another interactive torso toy like Hulk, Wolverine, and the Well Walker?

Oh boy. I think smoke would start pouring out of the Pinsider server...

#328 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

It would be consistent with the fact that they put a fire button on the lockdown bar.

#329 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It would be consistent with the fact that they put a fire button on the lockdown bar.

Are you sure it's a fire button?

#330 9 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Are you sure it's a fire button?

What else would it be? A backup start button?

#331 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Lol. Yeah but the fire button may control a crossbow toy that actually looks like a crossbow. haha

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

RobT said:

Lol. Yeah but the fire button may control a crossbow toy that actually looks like a crossbow. haha

Button could turn blue when orcs are about.
and/or
Button lets the player take the One Ring on and off.

Just a couple of ramblings.

#333 9 years ago

So what it if is a fire button of some kind? Please don't tell me the stern fanboys are going to defend gary copying everything under the stars since the late 1970s, but someone takes on one thing stern uses frequently *which was first done on b/w's BR!* and call JJP a copycat of stern.

These threads....

#334 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah but the fire button may control a crossbow toy that actually looks like a crossbow. haha

The button might be used to change the TV station .

#335 9 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Button lets the player take the One Ring on and off.

Wow, creative and Jack did drop a hint about 'seeing' yesterday...hummm

#336 9 years ago

I personally think JJP needs to hire Aurich and have him design is cabinet artwork. He was fast and he has better taste and feel for what the hobbit should look like.

#337 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What else would it be? A backup start button?

Probably the pause button.

#338 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I personally think JJP needs to hire Aurich and have him design is cabinet artwork. He was fast and he has better taste and feel for what the hobbit should look like.

While in concept it's ok (smaug edition), the color and style don't match the PF or backglass...I like JJP's cab waaaay better as it stands. Granted, Aurich whipped his out in 20 minutes, but I'm not so sure it's the final cab from JJP either...as I've been told at least the White Orc side is different by a reliable source. Hoping nut sack king relocates or disappears though!

#339 9 years ago

Personally, I like the 'white orc' side better than the goblin king side.

#340 9 years ago

Yeah...no kidding, he would do a much better job than the person who is there now...how many mistakes did we catch on just the pf here?

#341 9 years ago

I'm ordering the "Aurich Edition" or I'm canceling my order!

#342 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

#343 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'm ordering the "Aurich Edition" or I'm canceling my order!

Aurich™

#344 9 years ago

Aurich <TM> already sent me a C&D letter! WTF!!!

#345 9 years ago

Nutsack multiball?

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Nutsack multiball?

I assume that would be two balls

#347 9 years ago

the last four posts build up into something that made me spit my beer all over my ipad

#348 9 years ago

Will judge at expo when I can play it; hoping it is way faster then woz not saying woz is bad just love speed and flow

#349 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah...no kidding, he would do a much better job than the person who is there now...how many mistakes did we catch on just the pf here?

You know the guy who did the Hobbit playfield is the same guy who is art director for TBL...just saying.

#350 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This coming from the same guy that told me on DAY ONE of getting a NIB WOZLE to "just bend it" when I called JJP tech support about the ball lock not working.

...turns out it was misaligned and a screw was completely missing from whoever assembled it at the factory. Glad I didn't listen...

Every now and then it would be nice to get a machine and just PLAY.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 507 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hobbit-pics-what-do-you-see-new/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.