(Topic ID: 5066)

New here, loving the forums.

By Meph

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-1.jpeg
    IMG_3566.gif
    IMG_3562.gif
    IMG_3071.gif
    IMG_3559.gif
    IMG_3060.gif
    IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4499.jpg
    IMG_4491.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Hey All, i'm new to Pinside and i'm loving the forums. A little about myself. I'm a 36 year old father of a 4 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. I spent a lot of my youth in arcades and grew up playing Cyclone and then my favorite pin, Phantom of the Opera. I played other pins back then like Comet, High Speed, Adams Family, and others but none of them really captivated me like Cyclone and POTO. During college I drifted away from pinball and really got into Fighting games. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat took up all of my time.

I have been a Correction Officer for NYS Dept of Corrections for 13 years now and once I started that job I got sucked into MMO Gaming. Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, and WoW managed to suck me in for about 12 years. My wife has always been a computer gamer and played with me, but she has never touched a pin in her life.

This past year I really got sick of MMO gaming and dealing with most of the people that come with that type of gaming. Lots of kids or just plain rude adults that find the internet as a place that they think they just be a douche and get away with it! Early this spring I decided it was time to find a hobby that let me get away from my computer more and do something productive. I started buying mid 80s-90s Jukeboxes that were beat after decades in a bar, gutting them, restoring the cabinets, and converting them to digital widescreen or touchscreen jukeboxes. I just sold my first one yesterday which has actually lit a fire under me to finish my 2nd one and get working on some others.

My search for a new hobby has actually brought me back to my old love of pinball. My best friend from childhood is one of the few I still keep in touch with and he has remained fully rooted in his love of pinball. He has a small collection of 4 games and has been trying for years to get me back into it. I wanted a hobby that would actually let me socialize with my friends again and could include my wife and kids, so here I am.

My jukebox projects are going to fund my Pin collection and I plan to pickup my first pin within a month or two. POTO was my favorite growing up. I loved the theme, the music, the fast multiball play. It was just a fun game. My fear now though is that after playing my friend's LOTR that it will just pale for me. I love everything about LOTR. I installed Visual Pinball so I could try out a couple tables to get an idea for their play and I already know that I WILL own Indiana Jones the Adventure as well as LOTR.

So what approach have you guys taken to collecting? I am near Syracuse NY so I have been scouring upstate NY craigslist as well as Vermont where my brother lives. I have seen pricing all over the board so I really don't know where to begin. I know the pins I really want (IJ/LOTR) are going to run me 4-5k so would I be better off just picking up games I can find under 1k and beginning a collection? My friend picked up his LOTR last year for 2k and last time I played it (a year ago) it looked great to me. I wasn't looking at it as a collector then but it played fine and I don't remember any issues with it. So is it possible to find deals like that or was he just extremely lucky? Also what is a good going rate for a decent POTO?

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

#2 12 years ago

Welcome to Pinside Meph !

#3 12 years ago

Welcome! IMHO, you've found the best pinball site on the 'net. Regarding your questions - yes, Craig's List is a good place to find pins. Ebay is another, though some of the prices people are asking can get pretty crazy. Here's a link that someone here turned me on to: http://www.bostonpinball.biz/eBay112310.htm It may be a bit outdated, but lists SALES prices - not asking prices. Do some research and poke around before jumping on the 1st deal you find. Feel free to ask questions here - I've found the folks here to be VERY helpful. Oh, and be careful - once you get that 1st pin they seem to multiply when you're not looking.

#4 12 years ago

Oh I don't mind them multiplying at all. In fact i'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the link, I actually had it in my bookmarks. Those prices are fairly accurate though? My concern was that you see people throw up some absurd prices and that just throws off the stats for the averages.

#5 12 years ago

Welcome !!
    Spread the word around you are into pinball. I've gotten several machines just by word of mouth or talking to some elderly person in the grocery line. Many people don't like the hassle of advertising and negotiating. A friend of theirs might say "Hey, I know someone who might buy that from you."

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Those prices are fairly accurate though? My concern was that you see people throw up some absurd prices and that just throws off the stats for the averages.

Welcome Meph! If your patient, you should be able to score a nice LOTR for 3k-4k. I try to use as many resources as possible when pricing a pin. Besides bostonpinball and this site, I also use http://www.pinpedia.com/, and http://www.mindformation.com/cgi-bin/ebaypins.pl. Some have a category taking the min/max out of the average. Good luck!

#7 12 years ago

Welcome to the site.

#9 12 years ago

I'm just curious considering Meph's occupation .. are there any prisons or correction facilities that have a pinball machine in a rec area ?

#10 12 years ago

Thanks for the story! (and Welcome!)

Quoted from Meph:

So what approach have you guys taken to collecting?

Go to a local show... Play everything. Then start searching for your prey!

#11 12 years ago

I would say get a chance to play a wide selection of pins before buying one. Offten your favorite pin from your youth turns out to be a pin that is not the one you want to own. My favorite when I was young was Twister, and I have little interest in having that pin in my collection now. So do some homework and have fun with it!!

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

I'm just curious considering Meph's occupation .. are there any prisons or correction facilities that have a pinball machine in a rec area ?

Not in New York State. I have no idea what other states do but in NY they are very restricted in what types of "entertainment" they have. Computer access is restricted to the computer repair class and any type of internet is a no-go. TVs are only available in the rec yards. Their choices for recreation consist of playing basketball or soccer on blacktop, playing cards or dominoes, or lifting weights. NY is very liberal when it comes to how they are treated but at least so far, they aren't living in luxury yet.

#13 12 years ago

Welcome to the Pinside! Great to read all these stories lately on the site of people making a return to pinball!

May I suggest you submitting this story to your profile as well, so people will be able to find it easier?

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

May I suggest you submitting this story to your profile as well, so people will be able to find it easier?

Its been submitted now. Thanks.

#15 12 years ago

Martijn, i'm following your Marvel vs. Capcom build and can't wait to see it finished. I'm planning to do a similar build in the future with my PS3 for SSFIV and MK9. Really nice work on your old SF build.

#16 12 years ago

welcome tothe pinside Meph
    love to see some of those juke boxes - do you find any older ones?

#17 12 years ago

The one I just sold yesterday was a Rowe CD-100a from 1989. I have run across a lot of older ones. I have a 1963 Wurlitzer that I need to pickup. A guy from work is giving it to me for free. I will probably clean it up and make sure it works, then just sell it as is. I really don't like the idea of gutting or "re-purposing" a good working older jukebox. The Rowe CD-100 jukeboxes were made in such quantity that they were in every bar back in the 90s. In working condition you can pick them up for as low as $150. Here are some pictures of the one I just finished.

IMG_4489.jpgIMG_4489.jpg IMG_4491.jpgIMG_4491.jpg IMG_4499.jpgIMG_4499.jpg IMG_4505.jpgIMG_4505.jpg

#18 12 years ago

The one i'm currently working on is a lot different. This one is actually going to be a touchscreen jukebox in a 1938 Philco radio cabinet. I was given the cabinet for free. It was quite damaged and had no chassis. I had never done any wood restoration before so I have been learning as I go. The veneer was separating in places so that had to be fixed and the 73 year old lacquer was beat. After some trial and error with stripping lacquer, this is where it sits. The wood repair is done and the cabinet is ready for new lacquer.
    IMG_3060.gifIMG_3060.gif
    IMG_3559.gifIMG_3559.gif
    IMG_3071.gifIMG_3071.gif
    IMG_3562.gifIMG_3562.gif
    IMG_3566.gifIMG_3566.gif

#19 12 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!! I would say just play as many pins as you can and come up with a few you would like to own then keep an eye out for them to come up for sale locally.

#20 12 years ago

Hello. Use the map and find areas where there are a lot of machines. Reading all the fourms are very helpfull too. I have learned alot this way.

#21 12 years ago

I rebuilt one Rockola out of five I got free from Wolfman and gave the remaining ones to the guy who came to buy my project EM's. I still have several cases of CD's yet to go through I got with them in addition. The also have the cardboard/paper inserts for the flip trays those machines used.
    I didn't modify the one in any way I made up. I kinda like it being nostalgic. So far I don't need Fonzie to bump it working

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Its been submitted now. Thanks.

Great. Just approved it.

Quoted from Meph:

Martijn, i'm following your Marvel vs. Capcom build and can't wait to see it finished. I'm planning to do a similar build in the future with my PS3 for SSFIV and MK9. Really nice work on your old SF build.

Huh? You must have got me confused with somebody else, as I am not doing any Marvel vs. Capcom build... Although I've got to admit that beside pinball I love everything that has to do with (classic) computer games as well.

#23 12 years ago

Welcome, Jukes are cool.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

Huh? You must have got me confused with somebody else, as I am not doing any Marvel vs. Capcom build... Although I've got to admit that beside pinball I love everything that has to do with (classic) computer games as well.

Wow I assumed this was you. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112721.0
    His name is also Martijn and his profile says he is from Netherlands. I even checked his profile first to make sure. I assumed you were one and the same. Hehe sorry.

#25 12 years ago

Welcome. Nice work on the jukes!

#26 12 years ago

You should totally go after the pins that got you started. If you only buy the newer pins, they will always have you comparing gameplay to the ones from your youth. Might as well get the ones you love.

#27 12 years ago

the old saying from Game room magazine I remember was -
    'the worst thing you can do to an old juke box that has been sitting for some time is to turn it on'
    not sure how true that is but the old ones from the 30s - 40s are 78 rpm so I guess i never took the chance on one?

#28 12 years ago

Welcome aboard! Beautiful job on the repair of the Jukebox cabinet.

#29 12 years ago

Welcome to the best site on the web! There are a great group of pinheads here who will help you in any way

#30 12 years ago

Welcome to the inside of the Pinside. Nice juke boxes.
    The best advice I can give about buying on Ebay or mrpinball is...act fast. Study the selling prices and be ready.When a good deal comes up it will be gone fast. The bad deals will stay around for a while but the good deals go fast. I scan ebay and the other classifieds and when I see a deal I strike. The last deal I got I bought it within 9 mins of it being listed.

here is a good site to study pinball prices...it lists what machines have sold for not what people are asking.

www.pinpedia.com

#31 12 years ago

My biggest concern about buying off Ebay is that i'm taking a risk on something sight unseen. I buy off Ebay all the time but since i'm brand new to this, I would prefer to buy within a couple hundred miles. Then I can grab my friend for a road trip and let him check the machine over until I really know what to look for. Playfield wear, broken ramps, etc are easy to spot. I guess until I get a couple machines and see what goes wrong with them its hard to know what i'm looking for.

If its cheap enough I will buy anything because i'm confident I can repair it. I just don't expect any "killer" deals on Ebay. Maybe i'm just looking at it all wrong.

On a side note, I have to deliver this Jukebox today and set it up for the guy. After that i'm headed back to the operator that I have been dealing with to get my jukebox cabinets. They used to be big with arcade machines, pins, and jukes. These days they pretty much focus on Dart machines for bars and Touchtunes units. They have a lot of old jukes but most have been parted out. They also have a lot of arcade cabinets. Today I plan to raid the warehouse and see if there are any pins left in any condition. I didn't notice any last time I was there but I also never asked. Wish me luck.

#32 12 years ago

Hola.. English for "How do"

#33 12 years ago

Well I called the local operator today that I have been dealing with. I didn't know but they still have Pinball routes going. He said he might have one old Williams machine but most everything they have is Stern. I got the impression from him that i'm not going to find any type of deal there. He invited me in next week when he gets back from vacation but i'm not too optimistic. I guess if nothing else, if I can get a LOTR or SM from him for average cost, I know he will deliver it for free.

#34 12 years ago

He invited me in next week when he gets back from vacation but i'm not too optimistic.

I wouldn't be too worried Meph. At least you got your foot in the door.
    I would much rather walk around a warehouse than trust the pics on eBay...
    Who knows, you might get lucky!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Welcome! IMHO, you've found the best pinball site on the 'net.

+1

Welcome and good luck on your search. A lot of knowledge here so don't be hesitant to ask.

#36 12 years ago

On a side note, is anyone willing to recommend me on KLOV? Same name as here. I have been reading all along and didn't even realize until today that I couldn't post there. Thanks in advance.

#37 12 years ago

I know nothing about the Klov boys - sorry Meph

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-here-loving-the-forums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.