20170928_194147 (resized).jpg
20170928_194201 (resized).jpg
20170928_194216 (resized).jpg
20170928_194242 (resized).jpg
20170928_194255_001 (resized).jpg
20170928_171643 (resized).jpg
1506644423345702475793 (resized).jpg
download (1) (resized).jpg
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I have a Bally Fathom, left to me by my father. It does need a bit of restoration, but I have an interested buyer. What would a fair price be?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

I have a Bally Fathom, left to me by my father. It does need a bit of restoration, but I have an interested buyer. What would a fair price be?

Welcome! I would post a few picks if you want and people will have a better idea of condition.

#3 6 years ago

Thank you. Probably a good place to start before selling. This is a bit of a rare machine, is it not?

#4 6 years ago

With 3,500 produced, it's not exactly rare... But it is a highly sought after machine, so it's certainly valuable. Pics will definitely help determine price.

#5 6 years ago

Yes post pics and you will get good estimates from the community...

#6 6 years ago

^ Exactky what he said. Get us pics and we'll help you out. Sorry for the loss of your father too.

#7 6 years ago

Thank you Frunch. It does need TLC but it was fully operational in 95. It stopped working, but still powered up. All glass is intact, but it does have normal original wear. I'll share pix tonight. Thank you all.

#8 6 years ago

Your going to have a lot of interested buyers now. . Expect some pm's because Fathom is a game many are seeking out.

#9 6 years ago

Yes it is the most sought after Bally I think so don't give it away for less than it is worth.

#10 6 years ago

$2500- $8000 and anywhere in between.

#11 6 years ago

Thank you so much already. Why is it so sought after? If it needs major restoration, what would min price range be? Playing surface is original and I'm sure far from perfect.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Why is it so sought after?

People like blue.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Thank you so much already. Why is it so sought after? If it needs major restoration, what would min price range be? Playing surface is original and I'm sure far from perfect.

People think it's a fun game. Take off the playfield glass when you take your pictures. Look at the backglass for flaking paint. Any playfield wear through the artwork is important to show in the photos. Also some pictures of the PCBs in the backbox, looking for battery leakage damage and obvious electrical component failure.

#14 6 years ago

Everybody in MO is gonna tell you it's worth 500 bucks.

Everybody else is gonna say $8000 because they don't want anybody getting a good deal.

Truth is in need of major work you are probably looking at around $2000, less if it's in bad comsmetic shape.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Why is it so sought after?

It's the epitome of a wholesome classic pinball machine. It's feature rich, has a great layout with fantastic shots, and it has gorgeous artwork.

Is the game at all sedimental to you or your family? You mentioned that it was your father's. If you hang onto it, fix it and take good care of it, it will be a pinball machine that serves you well. Edit: I'd probably keep it, fix it, and enjoy it. You certainly won't regret it!

Otherwise, if you sell it, it's value heavily depends on it's condition. But it's not a game that usually goes for cheap.

#16 6 years ago

Thanks @CrazyLevi. I know it isn't worth 8k, lol. But I thought maybe 2 was high, could be a bit low, depending. ..

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Keep it!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Yes post pics and you will get good estimates from the community...

#19 6 years ago

I might. It's pretty much the only thing I have left from my dad and it doesn't seem too likely if I will find another one if I let it go. So it either becomes a priority restoring it, or let someone have it who will.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

I might. It's pretty much the only thing I have left from my dad and it doesn't seem too likely if I will find another one if I let it go. So it either becomes a priority restoring it, or let someone have it who will.

I guess it depends how far you want to restore it too. Don't feel the need to go crazy working on it if that isn't your thing. Just getting it up and running and shopped out with basics might be all you need to really enjoy it. Or, do that first, then see if you get the bug to fully restore it. Some of these older games really grow on you after they've been around a while. I'd at least give it some time in your possession with a basic shop job to figure that out.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Agreed. I think you should keep it. Anyone Pinsiders in the area that can help get it up and running?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

People like blue.

And fish.

And tuna. (just sayin')

#23 6 years ago

Assuming you have enough space, and can find a little time and money, then I'm one more vote for keep it, fix it, and play it. Especially if it's the only thing you have left of your dad's, that's a nice sentimental connection.

You can definitely find the support within this group to get it up and running again, whether you're getting down into the nitty gritty of learning to solder and replace circuit board components, or just buying a whole new set of boards and plugging them in.

#24 6 years ago

Keep it!!!!!!!!! Wish I was closer, I would help you out!!! Pinside is a plethora of knowledge!!! And smarta$$es, and just plain good ol camaraderie!!!

#25 6 years ago

If he keeps it he'll have to make room for 5 more.

#26 6 years ago

Pictures will go up tonight. I'm npt going to attempt to dust it or clean it though. Lol

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

And fish.
And tuna. (just sayin')

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago

Whether I opt to keep it or say goodbye, I certainly do appreciate all the advice & support! Thanks so much guys!!

#29 6 years ago

Average out all the numbers you get after pics....there is variation based on condition, location, as well as
"demand".

You "blue guys " are killing me!

#30 6 years ago

First: Do you have any interest in pinball at all?
Second: Do you have any interest in fixing a pinball machine?
If you're only so-so on either....sell it.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

First: Do you have any interest in pinball at all?
Second: Do you have any interest in fixing a pinball machine?
If you're only so-so on either....sell it.

1- I do enjoy playing pinball and the overall nostalgic charm of the machines, the use of shaking it a bit that doesn't exist in modern video games. I wouldn't consider myself a die hard enthusiast though.
2- I'm a DJ. I have far more interest in fixing speakers, promoting business than in fixing a pinball machine. But that's my passion, my element.

#32 6 years ago

Then maybe hire someone to fix it up and play. Great memories!

#34 6 years ago

For value, some of the most important things most people are going to consider are:

Condition of the Backglass - this means where there is any paint missing, flaking, fading, crazing in the ink etc. A photo from the front doesn't always tell the whole story. Take one from the back side too (gray coating) where it tends to show us what actual damage it has.

Condition of the playfield - there are all sorts of levels from good to bad. Many old playfields have some of the paint missing, especially around the inserts (plastic lenses in the playfield that are lit up from below). Some playfields have small cracks starting to show through the paint as if the wood grain is coming through (which it may be). In extreme cases, there are larger amounts of bare wood starting to show here and there (especially in the center area and around the pop bumpers).

Condition of the cabinet - some games have been treated very well over the years, others have been stored in extreme elements causing the exterior paint on the cabinet to flake, fade etc. Even some so bad that the cabinets are coming apart or have experienced water damage. Show shots of both sides and the front. This will also show condition of the metal used on the sides and coin door.

For some collectors, they are even looking to see if it has all original boards and that the serial number stickers match the cabinet. This is rather extreme but can increase value to some collectors. But as was mentioned, try to get a good shot of the MPU board. This is one of the larger ones located in the upper left corner. It more than likely has a small white Nicad Battery cell across the bottom which leaks alkaline and pretty much destroys the board if left stored for many years. In some cases, it was remotely mounted years ago which helps to protect from further damage. In some cases, extreme alkaline damage will effect other boards around it as well as many of the connector pins in wire harnesses on the MPU board and others.

If you plan to keep it, you don't necessarily need to get it "Restored". You can simply invest in getting it playable again and invest in new rubber rings and lamps to have a game to play and enjoy. You will probably pay between $45 and $100 an hour for tech work depending on your area and the skill level of those doing the work. If the main MPU board is indeed alkaline damaged and bad, original serviced warrantied replacements can be had for around $125 or you can opt for brand new reproductions in the $200 range. Fathom will probably never go down in value so you can always sell it and recoup your investment when you tire of it or life forces you to sell it.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You "blue guys " are killing me!

#36 6 years ago

1506644423345702475793 (resized).jpg1506644423345702475793 (resized).jpg
Back of back glass.

#37 6 years ago

Looking good so far!

#38 6 years ago

20170928_171643 (resized).jpg20170928_171643 (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago

Looking good! Can't wait to see the rest. I'm a sentimental person and would say fix/restore/shop and keep it

#40 6 years ago

I may have to keep it. Any suggestions on getting stuck glass free?

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

I may have to keep it. Any suggestions on getting stuck glass free?

Did you get the lockbar off?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you get the lockbar off?

Yes, it was just stuck from age/sitting. I got it. Plenty of pictures. You guys ready?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Yes, it was just stuck from age/sitting. I got it. Plenty of pictures. You guys ready?

No.

#44 6 years ago

Well?

20170928_194255_001 (resized).jpg20170928_194255_001 (resized).jpg

20170928_194242 (resized).jpg20170928_194242 (resized).jpg

20170928_194216 (resized).jpg20170928_194216 (resized).jpg

20170928_194201 (resized).jpg20170928_194201 (resized).jpg

20170928_194147 (resized).jpg20170928_194147 (resized).jpg

20170928_193238 (resized).jpg20170928_193238 (resized).jpg

20170928_194132 (resized).jpg20170928_194132 (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

I may have to keep it.

Yes you should. And get a bunch more to keep it company.

#46 6 years ago

2k all day. But I say keep it and polish that turd into a good player.

#47 6 years ago

Keep it, shop it, play the hell out of it!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes you should. And get a bunch more to keep it company.

Lol, I have to nurse this girl back to health 1st. Where can I locate this battery that may leak?
How does playfield look to you guys?

20170928_193053 (resized).jpg20170928_193053 (resized).jpg

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Lol, I have to nurse this girl back to health 1st. Where can I locate this battery that may leak?

Top left board. Bottom white cell battery. It's already leaking. Send all those boards to barakandl

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Top left board. Bottom white cell battery. It's already leaking. Send all those boards to barakandl

I don't think he does repairs anymore?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 195.00
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-here-looking-for-advice?hl=procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.