20170928_194147 (resized).jpg
20170928_194201 (resized).jpg
20170928_194216 (resized).jpg
20170928_194242 (resized).jpg
20170928_194255_001 (resized).jpg
20170928_171643 (resized).jpg
1506644423345702475793 (resized).jpg
download (1) (resized).jpg
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Keep it!!!!!

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I don't think he does repairs anymore?

Might be true. Not sure. Haven't used him in a while. I'm sure there's others that will be good to use too. Chris hibler maybe?

#53 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I know a local guy that does repairs/restos too. Should I just unplug the board and pull it and get it to him?

1506647485723831766479 (resized).jpg1506647485723831766479 (resized).jpg

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Thanks guys. I know a local guy that does repairs/restos too. Should I just unplug the board and pull it and get it to him?

It depends on his experience, tools, and soldering ability. The barak suggestion came because he specializes in these repairs and knows how to get it working right. Alternatively you could pick up an alltek ultimate mpu board for not much more and much faster

#55 6 years ago

I offered up $1500 for it. Was turned down. Thought it was fair with battery acid damage, heavy playfield wear and non-working.

#56 6 years ago

That battery damage isn't that bad. I've seen them leak and tear up the driver board below it, but from what I can see it looks pretty clean.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I offered up $1500 for it. Was turned down. Thought it was fair with battery acid damage, heavy playfield wear and non-working.

I didn't say it was fair. You asked me what I would take if I was going to sell. I told you. But I also said before that, I've decided not to sell. Again, thank you for inspiring me to restore this.

#58 6 years ago

Matey, she's a tad on the salty side.

2200-2500 as is?

Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

I have a Bally Fathom, left to me by my father. It does need a bit of restoration, but I have an interested buyer. What would a fair price be?

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

I didn't say it was fair. You asked me what I would take if I was going to sell. I told you. But I also said before that, I've decided not to sell.

Welcome to pinside.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Matey, she's a tad on the salty side.
2200-2500 as is?

Agreed. I never said any price offered up was unfair. I was asked after I decided to keep it, what I would want if I did sell it. I did not turn anyone down because I was holding out for more $. I appreciate the interest shown, it has inspired me. I also appreciate the support shown in holding on to it. Thank you all. And I'm sure I'll be posting more as I nurse her back to health and search for any parts.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

I didn't say it was fair. You asked me what I would take if I was going to sell. I told you. But I also said before that, I've decided not to sell. Again, thank you for inspiring me to restore this.

Stick around, read the Fathom threads, and enjoy your pin. Pinside is a fun place and you'll likely enjoy the hobby.

#62 6 years ago

It's an awesome game, you'll love it! I just got mine working again just this morning with the help from pinside. You can definitely do it.

It's a hard one to find, glad you decided to keep it!

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

It's an awesome game, you'll love it! I just got mine working again just this morning with the help from pinside. You can definitely do it.
It's a hard one to find, glad you decided to keep it!

I lost my dad in 95. My mom sold off his 59 T Bird conv, 69 El Camino, 66 Impala SS. If I sold his Fathom, I would be selling a piece of myself. I could, maybe, buy another one, but never the same one. I'm onboard. This is a great group! FB group too?

#64 6 years ago

Keep that machine Goldstar! Restore that pig and it will be super sweet!

#65 6 years ago

I fully support this. Might be a keeper. Your dad gave it to you?

If my dad gave me a pinball I would have kept it, myself. Good luck.

#66 6 years ago

I'm not far from your location. I have no interest in buying it, but if you need a hand getting it up and running, just drop me a PM anytime.

#67 6 years ago

I've seen Fathom's in lesser shape for 3k...
I don't see any reason why you couldn't get 2500 for it in that condition. If you opt to keep it and fix it up you would possibly get a little more for it. Just depends on your level of patience with these sort of things. Also, regarding what others have said, if my dad left me anything I would probably keep it no matter the item.

#68 6 years ago

Glad you're keeping it!! Fathom is awesome classic Bally machine. Really cool sounds, artwork, gameplay. Hard game to find and this one has special meaning for you. Take your time fixing it up and get her working 100%. Ridiculous amount of knowledge on Pinside that'll be more than happy to help you fix it and locate parts. Good luck! Oh and we like progress pics of any kind!! Haha welcome

#69 6 years ago

I'm so pumped you decided to hold onto it. Once you get it all up and running right, you'll know you made the right choice. That is a game i hope to have one day, myself. Art kicks ass, plenty of drop targets, multiball, funky inlanes to flippers, that game is a classic for good reason. Enjoy it! And welcome to pinside, you're in good hands here!

#70 6 years ago

I think the value is $2000-$2500. A very nice momento indeed.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

This is a great group! FB group too?

No, Facebook sucks

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Stick around, read the Fathom threads, and enjoy your pin. Pinside is a fun place and you'll likely enjoy the hobby

More like end up with a new addiction!

#73 6 years ago

If you want to invest in the game you could also send it off to a professional restoration place like HEP. It wouldn't be cheap, but the game would come back to you looking better then new and more valuable then what you put into it.

Fixing it up to be playable shouldn't be to difficult depending on your course of action. You can replace the bad board or fix the damage, but if you buy a replacement don't throw out the old damaged board. It's still valuable to people that can fix it.

Marco or pinball life will have most of the parts that you need.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

If you want to invest in the game you could also send it off to a professional restoration place like HEP. It wouldn't be cheap, but the game would come back to you looking better then new and more valuable then what you put into it.

I don't think he wants to sink aprox $3k into it.
Does that guy who makes the hardtop playfields have a Fathom?

#75 6 years ago

Glad you're going to keep it! If you're into fixing audio stuff, your skill set should translate well into pinball. I'm know nothing about classic Ballys but this community is pretty rockin' if you can sort out the some of the sarcasm (admittedly needed since some people can get super defensive, about certain things). Please continue posting updates. It'll be something special and a great memento of your father when you get it running and can play it again.

#76 6 years ago

If it's worth $2500 now and one spends $8000 restoring it you don't end up with an $11,000 game. At best you'll have a priceless memory to you, a game worth $5k to someone else.

Here are a couple suppliers for plastics and decals.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GS-829

http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/bally/fathom.html

Use https://www.pinballsearch.com to find parts but avoid Mad Amusements. I looked for an overlay but didn't find one. CPR has done reproduction playfields: http://classicplayfields.com/photo190.html

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If it's worth $2500 now and one spends $8000 restoring it you don't end up with an $11,000 game. At best you'll have a priceless memory to you, a game worth $5k to someone else

His cost wasn't $2500 for the game, the game was free. That's the current worth.
I doubt that a HEP restoration would be $8000. Although I would assume closer to $5k (I've never paid for a HEP restore)
A fully restored fathom might get $8000 to the right collector. Even with investing $8k it's possible to break even, considering that you'd have one of the nicest fathoms in the country.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't think he wants to sink aprox $3k into it.
Does that guy who makes the hardtop playfields have a Fathom?

Not yet. Simply a matter of time.
Link to the primary thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included

#79 6 years ago

His cost wasn't $2500 for the game, the game was free. That's the current worth.
I doubt that a HEP restoration would be $8000. Although I would assume closer to $5k (I've never paid for a HEP restore)
A fully restored fathom might get $8000 to the right collector. Even with investing $8k it's possible to break even, considering that you'd have one of the nicest fathoms in the country.

New pf, all the parts, etc.. yeah gonna be at least $5k with labor I would think. What's the wait on an HEP game now anyway? He's gotta have a huge queue..

#80 6 years ago

I agree $5k but since he has nothing into it, it would be awesome to essentially have a brand new Fathom of his Dad's knowing that he could sell it for at least what he would have into it. Not that that should matter since he probably would never sell it. Glad your keeping it!

#81 6 years ago

$10k by Christmas!!

Welcome to pinside... as others have said, there's no way I would ever sell this game if it represents a favorable memory of your dad.

#82 6 years ago

You can always get more $ in your life but many things are priceless. Welcome to pinside and hope your enjoy your journey fixing up your Dad's pin! Love that game.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from GoldStarDJ:

Whether I opt to keep it or say goodbye, I certainly do appreciate all the advice & support! Thanks so much guys!!

This is pinside, you'll get advice whether you want it or not. At least for the most part it is good advice here.... Now give me your Fathom.

#84 6 years ago

Your going to be glad you kept it!!! I bought my first pin 31 years ago when I was 12 and I could never sell it now.enjoying a game of pinball is one of the few things me and my father enjoyed together and it's my only pin that me and him played together.the memories are priceless and there's no amount of money that could replace that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-here-looking-for-advice/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.