Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

044.JPG
038.JPG
007.JPG
032.JPG
019.JPG
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Kicking off a new restoration video series.This will be based on a Bally Playboy which should be fairly universal in terms of general info and processes on early Bally solid state games.
I am trying to pick various projects that might be intresting to a variety of people but not too in depth in order to keep things moving.
In the near future I will probably do a poll on the next documented project.Narrow it down to a few choices then put it up for a vote.

Playlist is featured on the main page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/highendpins?feature=mhee

Christopher Hutchins

#2 11 years ago

These videos are great ! Thanks for taking the time to do these .

Jim

#3 11 years ago

Great vids!

#4 11 years ago

Chris, thanks for taking time for these instructional videos. I think that they are excellent. Quick question- in one of the past videos you mentioned that a galvanized part was "hand polished" What polishes or materials or techniques did you use for these? Wally

#5 11 years ago

Great stuff as usual Chris.

I swear I could watch your videos all day.

#6 11 years ago

Chris would it possible for you to leave your videos up? The MM series was great but now is taken down mainly. Also noticed you had a ton of videos as Krull marked private. Could you share these with the public and than leave them up?

Really enjoy them and pushed me over the edge to have games restored with you.

#7 11 years ago

Very surprising to find out that a warped PF isn't a big deal.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Chris, thanks for taking time for these instructional videos. I think that they are excellent. Quick question- in one of the past videos you mentioned that a galvanized part was "hand polished" What polishes or materials or techniques did you use for these? Wally

I use flitz metal polish.Will likely be covered in this series of videos since I am going to try and do as much as possible naturally.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Chris would it possible for you to leave your videos up? The MM series was great but now is taken down mainly. Also noticed you had a ton of videos as Krull marked private. Could you share these with the public and than leave them up?
Really enjoy them and pushed me over the edge to have games restored with you.

The videos are there but I make things private as I close them out normally because I like to keep the focus on my current projects,standards or points of interest.
I do the same thing with my photo gallery because there are hundreds of hidden albums there as well.
There are times in the future when I will unlock them all.Certain days, milestones or occasions.Most would be shocked to see just how much is actually in there.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Very surprising to find out that a warped PF isn't a big deal.

Depends on how warped it is of course

#11 11 years ago

Always enjoy your videos, thanks for posting.

#12 11 years ago

Great work Chris!

Everyone should watch these -pin restorers or not.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Kicking off a new restoration video series.This will be based on a Bally Playboy which should be fairly universal in terms of general info and processes on early Bally solid state games.
I am trying to pick various projects that might be intresting to a variety of people but not too in depth in order to keep things moving.
In the near future I will probably do a poll on the next documented project.Narrow it down to a few choices then put it up for a vote.
Playlist is featured on the main page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/highendpins?feature=mhee
Christopher Hutchins

Thanks for the continued education Christopher. I learn a lot every time I watch, including what's best left to the pros.

To many more,

Brian

#14 11 years ago

Chris, thanks for taking the time to do these videos. I enjoy each one you do.

I am waiting on my CPR Whirlwind play field, though after watching your video, I'd like to drop ship to someone to go over it first.

#15 11 years ago

Love watching these! Just picked up a pretty rough Playboy tonight and thinking about giving a similar treatment if I can find all the parts.

#16 11 years ago

Thanks Chris! I really enjoy watching these!

#17 11 years ago

Awesome stuff! Thanks!

#18 11 years ago

Looks like I know what I am doing at work today during down times.

1 month later
#19 10 years ago

Many new videos added to this series today with the final update for now loading as I type.New videos are parts 4-7.
Enjoy them while you can and if you enjoy them let it be known because I don't want to waste my time otherwise I can just do the work privately and save some time.

Christopher Hutchins

#20 10 years ago

Chris, more excellent videos indeed!

Whenever I have a new cab CNCed, I always spec MDF faced plywood. It is sold as "paint ready" because it is already sealed and super smooth finished. With no knots, boatmen patches or grain, it is a mega time saver for me.

The best replacement for the Bally backbox ground plane I've found is .02 aluminum roofing coil. It comes in 24" rolls , cuts with a razor knife and takes staples even with a hand stapler. It has a very thin polyester layer on it, so it never loses it's shine from oxidation, but still conducts electricity. Those 80's Bally with the foil covered cardboard ground planes are about the crappiest thing I've ever seen.

Has anyone ever requested an all MDF cabinet, so they could have the heaviest game ever?

Thanks again for the videos!

#21 10 years ago

Love the videos Chris! Please keep them going. It's really amazing seeing all the work you do. Thanks for doing them!

Brian

#22 10 years ago

Many new videos added to this series today with the final update for now loading as I type.New videos are parts 4-7.
Enjoy them while you can and if you enjoy them let it be known because I don't want to waste my time otherwise I can just do the work privately and save some time.
Christopher Hutchins

I just watched the first 4 parts in a row, and I'm only pausing to make sure I remembered to come back here and comment so you'd know it was being appreciated. These are excellent, thanks for taking all the extra time effort to share and document like this!

Edit: Dangit, ran out of video, now I have to wait!

#23 10 years ago

Your videos are awesome and I enjoy watching them.
Thanks for making them available. Keep up the great work.

#24 10 years ago

Thanks again Chris.. now need to find the time to watch these!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Whenever I have a new cab CNCed, I always spec MDF faced plywood. It is sold as "paint ready" because it is already sealed and super smooth finished. With no knots, boatmen patches or grain, it is a mega time saver for me.
The best replacement for the Bally backbox ground plane I've found is .02 aluminum roofing coil. It comes in 24" rolls , cuts with a razor knife and takes staples even with a hand stapler. It has a very thin polyester layer on it, so it never loses it's shine from oxidation, but still conducts electricity. Those 80's Bally with the foil covered cardboard ground planes are about the crappiest thing I've ever seen.
Has anyone ever requested an all MDF cabinet, so they could have the heaviest game ever?

Not sure if it was MDF or some kind of particle board/pressed wood variant, but I had a Rapid Fire which pretty much won the heavyweight prize although EBD Limited and Centaur II were technically heavier since the playfield on Rapid Fire only weighted about twent y pounds and the flipper playfields were much heavier. The route Op I worked for had several EBD's and a couple of Centaur II's

#26 10 years ago

Awesome work Chris!

Thanks a ton for doing these vids. Just remember, for each one of us who thanks you, there are many more folks who love the vids but don't take the time to say thanks. I'm sure they appreciate them as much as the rest of us.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I do have a Ramp Warrior here that has lots of the foiled over paper stuff .Junk! I would not be able to even tape it off without trashing it.Even worse it has a water damaged particle board cabinet
Luckily the playboy has the real tin so it isn't so bad.

Where do you get the aluminum roofing coil?

#28 10 years ago

Chris, Thanks for taking the time to document the intricate process. I keep checking both the pictures and YouTube every day to see if there are any changes. Each time a new video shows up I feel like a kid in a candy store. Can't wait to see the finished game in person. Thanks!

#29 10 years ago

Where do you get the aluminum roofing coil?

They have it at the aluminum siding/roofing supply joint.

I have a sheet metal brake that bends great looking corners, but they guys at the supply house will bend it for 50 cents a bend if you want.

#30 10 years ago

Just wanted to agree with everyone else. The videos are fantastic! I'll be starting a Playboy restore next month and this is an amazing resource. Keep'em coming!

2 weeks later
#31 10 years ago

New videos are loading today.These will cover the cabinet prep and stenciling.Tons of info in there but not exactly a how to either.Very tough to capture a 30-40 hour paint job in a few videos so we always aim for a mix.No time for a bunch of flashy nonsense and great editing either.The focus is always the work with the rare free time spent putting it up there.

019.JPG019.JPG 032.JPG032.JPG 007.JPG007.JPG 038.JPG038.JPG 044.JPG044.JPG

#32 10 years ago

Videos are now fully updated.
These are the last in the series for now until I get settled back in at my new place.The work will continue though.

#33 10 years ago

Thanks for putting these up Chris. Many of us greatly appreciate the time and effort involved. Totally understand not making it a step by step how to. Just a bit of insight into your process is worth alot in my opinion!

#34 10 years ago

Excellent, will definitely watch these, loved what you've done up to this point.

#35 10 years ago

the attention to detail is amazing.

#36 10 years ago

Amazing !

#37 10 years ago

As I've said it before, you do great work!

#38 10 years ago

Thanks.The last three are up and that will close out the refinishing portion of the cabinet.
The upcoming videos will start dealing with the cabinet parts and then onto the playfield.

#39 10 years ago

Chris, I have to ask, is Nike kicking in production money for these videos? I think you've got a Nike shirt on in every single one.

#40 10 years ago

My guess is Avengers is next , wonder how many tweaks that will get and how amazing it will be.

Amazing work Chris as usual and love your videos.

#41 10 years ago

Simply amazing!

It's terrific that you not only have the talent to do this level of work, but that you take the time and effort to share the behind-the-scenes process with the community. Thank you!

#42 10 years ago

as always, very nice work, i'm glade to see i'm not the only one going overboard on a early ss game.

can't wait to see your next videos.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Chris, I have to ask, is Nike kicking in production money for these videos? I think you've got a Nike shirt on in every single one.

I wish they were.
These days if I am not working, I am working out and they are great for both.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Simply amazing!
It's terrific that you not only have the talent to do this level of work, but that you take the time and effort to share the behind-the-scenes process with the community. Thank you!

Very true. The documentation he does (even before videos - just the comments on photos every step of the way) is only exceeded by the work itself.

#45 10 years ago

I really appreciate the videos and the work that goes into these projects. You should get contingency sponsorships from Nike AND Festool.

I also humbly beg for a video on cabinet decal corners!

#46 10 years ago

Chris,

Any thoughts into sharing a few cabinet repair tricks? (Like Vid does for playfield and components?)

I'd like to see how you get the routed in 'lip' back on the underside of a cab that has broken off, or replace a water damaged cab bottom, or crowbar damaged trim plate under the coinbox.

Keep up the good work, you're making me wish I never sold my Playboy years ago for cheap money.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Chris,
Any thoughts into sharing a few cabinet repair tricks? (Like Vid does for playfield and components?)
I'd like to see how you get the routed in 'lip' back on the underside of a cab that has broken off, or replace a water damaged cab bottom, or crowbar damaged trim plate under the coinbox.
Keep up the good work, you're making me wish I never sold my Playboy years ago for cheap money.

A lot of those things are covered in the pictured restore galleries.It is currently offline .
I did cover some of it as well in the Krull series but that too is currently offline.
The good news is that they are always going to be there and at times I will open them up.

#48 10 years ago

Chris,
I think you covered this before on some forum, but were you gettting spam or having people steal your pictures from your site? I remember viewing the Krull series last year, very informative. Even if one has the skillset for your level of restoration, the tools and facilities are another hurdle. Still, it's very interesting to watch your process.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Chris,
I think you covered this before on some forum, but were you gettting spam or having people steal your pictures from your site? I remember viewing the Krull series last year, very informative. Even if one has the skillset for your level of restoration, the tools and facilities are another hurdle. Still, it's very interesting to watch your process.

It creates a variety of problems for me when I try to share the process with the community.I can't/won't list them all but it is generally more positive than negative.
I normally choose to or not to based on how I see it used or perceived.

#50 10 years ago

This is why I think he does not make to many threads here takes his time away from his passion, and business. I asked same questions and I do understand his perspective on why we do not have access to all his work at all times and I think it has nothing to do with competition and everything to do with lots of questions on his work.

We're just lucky to have anything coming from currently the best in the world at he trade. I watch his videos as soon as there posted because I know normally they come down eventually.

He is up to his ears in work so no promotion is really needed.

Cannot wait for his next game and hopefully one day one of my machines will be features in a series of videos this year. Would be cool that's for sure.

Thanks Chrs for what you do and I'm working hard to be able to pay for my jobs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.50
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hep-video-series-bally-playboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.