20160221_204859 (resized).jpg
20160213_102454 (resized).jpg
ks (resized).JPG
20160907_193909 (resized).jpg
20160907_193931 (resized).jpg
20160907_193923 (resized).jpg
20160907_193859 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello everyone from IN. I'm new to owning pinball machines but not new to playing. I've always wanted one and now I found one.

I helped a neighbor move some things. He mentioned having this machine. From my research it's a 1965 Gottlieb King and Queens. Appears to have been repainted. It will not power on when plugged on. I found no power switch and doesn't seem to respond to any inputs anywhere. I'm not real knowledgeable on these so figured I better stop and seek advice.

I've been an old garden tractor collector for a little while and always like to venture into new things from the same timeframes. I'll hopefully successfully attach some pics here. Wish me luck!!

20160907_193859 (resized).jpg20160907_193859 (resized).jpg

20160907_193923 (resized).jpg20160907_193923 (resized).jpg

20160907_193931 (resized).jpg20160907_193931 (resized).jpg

20160907_193909 (resized).jpg20160907_193909 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Good Luck, and welcome to the addiction!

#3 7 years ago

On many older games they don't power on until you hit the start button or put a coin in. A fuse might also just be blown. If there was a power switch it'd be on the bottom, front right corner.

#4 7 years ago

That's a classic game to start the addiction. Welcome aboard

#5 7 years ago

Welcome and Congrats!

Great game!

Here are some basics that will help you get your machine up and running.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#what

#6 7 years ago

Hey fellow Hoosier. Here's the entry for Kings and Queens on IPDB

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1381&picno=23213

That game has an interesting layout. There's a ton of rollover lanes at the top. It's weird there are four balls in those saucers in the middle of the playfield though.

#7 7 years ago

This game is a great player and sought after by Gottlieb wedgehead collectors. Top of the line first game for sure.

#8 7 years ago

Welcome my friend, to the wonderful world of pinball !

LTG : )

#9 7 years ago

She's a bute Clark

#10 7 years ago

That's a great game. Looks like it's in pretty good condition too.
Get yourself a schematic and roll up your sleeves!
Everybody here is willing to help you.
Welcome!
Eric

#11 7 years ago

That's old enough where is does not have a conventional on/off switch. You need to give the bottom of the cabinet a good whack. Sounds odd, but that's how they did it back then.

#12 7 years ago

Welcome to the pinball world...you are in for a wild ride!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

That's old enough where is does not have a conventional on/off switch. You need to give the bottom of the cabinet a good whack. Sounds odd, but that's how they did it back then.

The whack is to turn off, if there is a credit on the wheel, the game would start with the push off the button, if not drop a coin in it. There is a hold relay, I like to close by hand when I find a machine such as this. If you did not get a cir dia you'll want to get one from Pinball Resource

Here a pic from the db, Ive circled the hold relay. you can push this closed to see if the game comes alive.

ks (resized).JPGks (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Thanks a bunch for the great welcome. I didn't really know what I was getting into. It definitely was intimidating when opening things up and looking inside.

I'm turning in for the evening now but will be on it tomorrow evening to see if I can get some life out of it. I've attempted to put a coin in but got no responses. Only one that would fit the slot was a dime. Forgive my ignorance, but I can assume that was the going price in '65. I will defintely work that relay tomorrow. There was a circuit diagram in the cabinet but half was gone from time. Once I get some life from it, I'd like to pull the glass and clean up the field good. All the bumpers and stuff look good for an amateur eye. I've read that I should clean and wax it I guess. Sounds like a plan as soon as I see it work. Would love to get the cabinet back in its original clothes also. Was there a standard paint job for them all or were they different? Plus, the front plate with the coin acceptor is pretty rusty. Is that something easy to find to replace? Thanks again.

Eric

#15 7 years ago

Standard paint scheme, here's one I attempted a couple of months ago

20160213_102454 (resized).jpg20160213_102454 (resized).jpg

20160221_204859 (resized).jpg20160221_204859 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from INcase:

Plus, the front plate with the coin acceptor is pretty rusty. Is that something easy to find to replace? Thanks again.
Eric

Yes the door and plate are available but can be pricey

. Ive taken to getting parts rechromed for half the price or more of new.

Get to know this web site

http://www.pbresource.com/cabparts.html

Also the parts wanted thread is handy here, Ive abused it more than my share...

#17 7 years ago

That paint job doesn't look that bad. Is it possible someone put that playfield and glass in another cabinet? Are there any Gottliebs with a green cabinet?

#18 7 years ago

Way to dive into two addictions at once. Welcome to pinball, welcome to wedgeheads! (P.S. We mostly all agree Spin-A-Card counts too, it (besides its AAB & export versions, but still the same "game" per se) was the only Gottlieb single player machine to not use the wedge shape from the 60's and 70's, they quickly reverted back but even the backglass dimensions would fit a wedgehead)

IMG_4012 (resized).pngIMG_4012 (resized).pngIMG_5158 (resized).pngIMG_5158 (resized).png

They are also much less stressful to service than multiplayers for beginners so at least you didn't dive into that, but they're still definitely a big thing to indulge in and work on until you get the hang of it. Hang in there.

-----

You should check out Vic Camp (who posted above, nice guy)'s video of his wedgehead collection. This video fascinated me as a new collector and I was lucky enough to stop by and enjoy the collection a few months later.

#19 7 years ago

Stay away from the hobby, the machines are all ours!11

Just kidding, awesome machine & welcome!

#20 7 years ago

oh no! your'e doomed

better start making space!

#21 7 years ago

You might be able to clean up the coin door yourself as well. Steelwool and then a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge.. Congrats on the pickup.

#22 7 years ago

My K&Q was sent to me on a pallet and was in poor condition, worse than yours. Here is what is possible if you want to spend some money on it including a new reproduction playfield:

K&Q Finished 029 (resized).JPGK&Q Finished 029 (resized).JPG

K&Q Finished 036 (resized).JPGK&Q Finished 036 (resized).JPG

1965 Kings & Queens New Playfield 002 (resized).JPG1965 Kings & Queens New Playfield 002 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

My K&Q was sent to me on a pallet and was in poor condition, worse than yours. Here is what is possible if you want to spend some money on it including a new reproduction playfield:

Be over shortly to play

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Be over shortly to play

Too late, sold it to a friend in Colorado, but no worries, plenty of others to play.

#25 7 years ago

Welcome I'm a newb to EM's (electro-mechanical) best advice I can give you aside from checking the fuses and making sure you have the right amp fuses in there too, replace that dinky power cord, get a good thin metal file and shotgun the thing clean every leaf switch and she will come back to life!

#26 7 years ago

hi and welcome.

Assuming you still having trouble, I'd make a new posting seeking help for '65 GTB startup problems.

I think you can have this thing running soon. Then new balls (if pitted or rusty) and some cleanup. Worry about aesthetics later (or never). Enjoy it.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Welcome I'm a newb to EM's (electro-mechanical) best advice I can give you aside from checking the fuses and making sure you have the right amp fuses in there too, replace that dinky power cord, get a good thin metal file and shotgun the thing clean every leaf switch and she will come back to life!

....possibly not the total best advice regarding the part for getting a good thin metal file and using on every leaf switch. Apart from possibly flipper EOS contacts you only need to use a Dremel wire brush to clean contacts. The dust from filing and possible damage to the contacts will make sure that it doesn't come back to life flawlessly!

I have not used a file on my last three total restores.

Steve J.

#28 7 years ago

There's no dust created from filing when using a metal file like I suggested, and there is a lot more control when doing it by hand. Take your time and make sure when the leaf switches are open and closed that they are making good contact slightly moving the other leaf.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

....possibly not the total best advice regarding the part for getting a good thin metal file and using on every leaf switch. Apart from possibly flipper EOS contacts you only need to use a Dremel wire brush to clean contacts. The dust from filing and possible damage to the contacts will make sure that it doesn't come back to life flawlessly!
I have not used a file on my last three total restores.
Steve J.

i agree with steve, new people in em's end up making more issues by shot gun cleaning. i agree it is the best way but until you know how to do it correctly without making thing worse by misadjustment of switches
i always tell noobies to get a print and ask questions. the em guys here will get the thing running and you will learn how to fix it as you go. once working then make it look pretty.
i Also use the dremel but do hit any pitted contacts with a file. normally only a few.

#30 7 years ago

I haven't had as much time as I thought. I went out a bit last night and toyed with it. Mind you I'm a little limited on space due to another project going on. Plugged it in and had the door open. Got a little jolt when I touched the door and was grounded out. Definitely didn't touch any contacts, as I was being extra careful. Sticker on door says line voltage at door. Apparently there's some stray voltage to boot. I found 3 fuses and all checked good. Found one blue wire cut/broke that goes to a switch on the door. Going to reconnect that this evening. The machine is not in terrible shape. Other than the door being corroded, everything inside looks good from what I can see. I'm sure there's an easy trick to getting under the playfield. Didn't want to start prying on things. Even the balls are shiny. The power cord could defintely use an update. I think my next step is to get the playing field up or tilted or whatever so I can see the rest of the electronics.

Eric

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from INcase:

Even the balls are shiny.

Probably best to toss them anyways. Old balls can be like sandpaper on a playfield.

Like your tractor avatar. Dad's a bit of a tractor collector. I saw some good ones this past weekend at the Elnora Antique Show.

#32 7 years ago

Run before your hooked. Looks like it's too late Eric.
Welcome to the dark side. Your among fellow addicts.

#33 7 years ago

Hi Incase...Alice fan here...
Not sure if that one is the same as my Masquerade, but if so, there will be a flat metal bar runnin from side to side connecting to a latch that holds the pf down.
open coin door and look inside. the bar is arms reach inside.
pull towards front while lifting up on play field. after removing glass of course.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i Also use the dremel but do hit any pitted contacts with a file. normally only a few.

Agree, a Dremel with a brush works best.

#35 7 years ago

The Pinball Resource in Poughkeepsie, NY is THE source for items you'll need to restore your "Kings & Queens" machine. Go to www.pbresource.com. You'll need an electrical schematic diagram, a rubber ring kit, fuses, lamps and five new pinballs to start. If you need game specific mechanical parts, Steve (owner of PBR) really appreciates part numbers. You can get a parts manual from him as well.
He does reproduce many of the metal parts, including the cashbox door, the ball shooter bezel and the coin entry plate.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Hi Incase...Alice fan here...
Not sure if that one is the same as my Masquerade, but if so, there will be a flat metal bar runnin from side to side connecting to a latch that holds the pf down.
open coin door and look inside. the bar is arms reach inside.
pull towards front while lifting up on play field. after removing glass of course.

You are correct. "Kings & Queens" has the "playfield auto-clamp". After removing the front moulding (aka "lockdown bar"), and sliding out the glass, reach in through the cashbox door and pull that metal bar inside the game toward you as you lift up on the playfield.
It lifts up like the hood of a car, and has a prop rod on the inside of the cabinet on the right side.
Don't ever place a pinball glass directly on a hard surface, especially like a concrete floor. Always set it down on edge on a piece of carpeting or floor mat. Many games have tempered glass, and it will break into a zillion little crackling pellets if any edge of the glass is impacted with any hard item or surface.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Don't ever place a pinball glass directly on a hard surface, especially like a concrete floor. Always set it down on edge on a piece of carpeting or floor mat. Many games have tempered glass, and it will break into a zillion little crackling pellets if any edge of the glass is impacted with any hard item or surface.

Some backglasses are tempered too

20160614_204607 (resized).jpg20160614_204607 (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Some backglasses are tempered too

Cleopatra?

#39 7 years ago

Photo above is for a Gottlieb Abra Ca Dabra.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-guy-to-the-pinball-world and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.