Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Slim64
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4746B412-211E-4F95-BD7F-CFD014CC9CAD (resized).jpeg
    3C92FFD5-56AF-4FFD-BF80-20332F67A111 (resized).jpeg
    27FA378C-BBEA-4733-896C-4EA0CAF1FCDD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I need you experts input on how to move from arcades to pins. I grew up playing vids and pins were rare around me so I never got into them growing up. But recently I have gotten bored playing vids and started playing pins more when I get the chance to.

So I decided to add a few pins to my collection of vids. Sold my TMNT and NFL Blitz 99 and going to end up selling my Mortal Kombat 2 so I will have roughly $4000 to spend. I do have a Mr and Mrs Pac-Man pin that i picked up non working and have not even looked at yet but other then that i have no pins and the game looks boring to me.

My wife hates pins and says stick with all vids but it’s my collection so my choice BUT whatever I get the title has to be decent for her to be accepting and my kids have to want to play it so I’m thinking maybe like revenge from mars?

Now for opinions, I LOVED ghostbusters when I played it and think I should find a used pro for around my price range or should I find 2 older decent pins for the same money?
    So maybe find
    Revenge from mars (hopefully around $2500)
    Jurassic Park (hopefully around $2500)
    Fish tales priced around $2500-3000?
    Then add
    Like police force or getaway or something?

Locally I think some I found are decent priced?
    Taxi $1700 (try to get it for $1500)
    No Fear $2300 (try for $2000) but this title would turn the wife off
    South Park $2600 (try for $2300)

I know I’m all over the place but I’m torn Ghostbusters or 2 lesser priced fun pins to start? And if lesser titles what to keep the wife and kids happy?

#17 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have money burning a hole in my pocket and really want a pin but I need to slow down and see what pops up over the next month or 2.

I am thinking either get the ghostbusters or another newer stern or leaning more towards getting either a Revenge from Mars or Jurassic Park then adding another $1500 game. I think those 2 titles will appease the family aspect and get them hooked on pins. RFM I think would be an easy transition from vids to pins for the kids with the video on it so that may be the best route to take. But JP looks more in depth to keep me coming back for more on it. But damn the pretty lights and fast play of the new sterns keep popping in my mind.

#29 6 years ago

I wish I could afford a Dialed in but the wife Sees pin prices and says no way. I’m selling some vids to buy the first real pin. I bought every one of my vids non working and repaired and restored all of them. Tinkering is more fun then actually playing sometimes so I definitely will own a couple older pins at some point down the road.
    I have a few RFM and JP that I have found so I decided to start with one of those and my Pac-Man pin then save for the other title over the next few months.

#40 6 years ago

Just an update to the thread.
    Yesterday I picked up my first real pin and have been playing it all day. It’s not the greatest title but for $700 I could not pass up a fully working and decent condition Space Jam! My kids love it with all the feel good easier shots and multi ball is so easy to get.
    I’m getting into figuring out how to shoot each type of shot and it’s honestly a challenge to try and complete each challenge in the allotted time.
    I know I stole this game for $700, ordered new rubbers, playfield cleaner and flipper rebuild kit. Trying to research LED now for it.
    Also found a few RFM and JP locally so within the next 2 weeks I will have 2 pins and then I plan on just saving for a used newer stern like I wanted.

Playfield is very dirty and rubbers are tired, only real bad spot is the wabbit hole is worn around it and wear around the flipper buttons but other then that it is in pretty good shape.

27FA378C-BBEA-4733-896C-4EA0CAF1FCDD (resized).jpeg27FA378C-BBEA-4733-896C-4EA0CAF1FCDD (resized).jpeg

3C92FFD5-56AF-4FFD-BF80-20332F67A111 (resized).jpeg3C92FFD5-56AF-4FFD-BF80-20332F67A111 (resized).jpeg

4746B412-211E-4F95-BD7F-CFD014CC9CAD (resized).jpeg4746B412-211E-4F95-BD7F-CFD014CC9CAD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-guy-needs-buying-advise-on-what-pins-to-start-with?tu=scar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.