Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Zarklin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vnwnc_(resized).jpg
    20160320_220307_(resized).jpg
    patzColor_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zarklin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Please excuse the wall of text this ran on way more than intended

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. As the title say I'm new to the world of EM and pins in general aside from the hours spent playing as a kid. I grew up in the 90s and arcades were on the decline, I only remember one or two and they were small little rooms off in the corner of the local malls. I would always beg to go when my folks would be going to that area, lucky for me, mom loved pins. I spend every quarter I could plead out of her playing Addams Family, Fun House, Terminator... and many more I can't remember along with some light gun games for good measure lol. Things got dry in my area for a long time, no arcades shy of 4-5 games at the bowling alley or movie theater. Once places like Dave-n-Busters and Jillian's started popping up I finally got my fix again but it cost so much to play a broke HS kid couldn't spend much time there. Aside from the fact my games went quick... keep the ball in play was the goal, I had no idea what the rules or objectives were.

So why and how did I end up here? Well.... I would still get a bug to play now and then but never the opportunity. One of my hobbies is playing and collecting video games, ended up with a room in the basement dedicated to it. Lucky for me the whole family gets involved and has a great time. I've wanted to get some arcade games and a pin or two for the basement and I started remodeling to open the place up more so I started looking for pins. I could not believe some of prices 5k, 8k and up I gave up hope. Enter humble bundle they had a cheap package with a bunch of pinball fx2 tables (yes I know its computer but it tickled my itch) When I started looking into it I found the world of Virtual pins, in full size cabs with real buttons and launchers! My mind was blown how did I not know about this! I showed my wife and she got a childish smile and told me "new project, build one". That was a couple weeks ago. Off I went on my quest, finding cab plans, parts list etc. I starting hitting CL and EBay hard looking to catch a deal on a lock down bar, legs anything and one day up pops a Williams Fan-Tas-Tic in the next town over asking $487

My first thought was ohh it's one of those old ones, I never played these are they any fun, how do they even work naw don't bother. But it kept nagging at me every time I did a search on CL there it was. So I watched a youtube video of it, looks kinda interesting. Showed my wife she was mixed too. But I kept thinking about it, wanting to give it a try. After a couple days we decided wth why not can't hurt to look at it, wouldn't mind having one it's a piece of history and those chimes are iconic. So I did a few google searches that let me first to ipdb. One look inside of the cab and I was terrified and also completely intrigued. How does all this work? Switches, relays, motors and coils, this is amazing. I wanted it even more, the next search lead me here. Specifically to the look what's on CL thread, someone had posted the link to the very ad that drew me in. I joined up made my first post asking about the machine mentioned I wanted to go check it out but was hesitant. I was instantly welcomed with advise, pointers and more info I knew existed on the topic, even a very nice PM from someone in my state.

I've been lurking around for just over a week now and reading like crazy. There is so much info the soak in and I'll need it.

I'm happy to say after walking away the first time the seller and I came to an agreement. Turns out he also had a Bally Op-Pop-Pop in the barn both of which will be coming home to me this weekend along with a late 70s Kenwood stereo (yea love the vintage audio too lol) for less than he was asking for the Fan-Tas-Tic alone.

Seller didn't know much about them other than he was "told" they both worked. They came with the house pretty much. The Fan-Tas-Tic plays but has some problems, I'd say it's 90% on the mechanical side, one plastic was broke but lucky for me one was on ebay so I snagged it tonight. The play-field has some wear spots but for the game counter being at near 76k I understand BG is rough but mostly there. The Bally has a beautiful play-field aside from a small ball groove (25k plays on the counter) but the BG is pretty much shot imo. We plugged the Bally in tonight and nothing just the coin door lights came on. I noticed a wire was disconnected from the score motor and no ball in it. I hope it springs to life with that wire back on and a ball loaded. One of the zipper flippers is sagging a bit so I'm assuming a rebuild is in order or at least an adjustment. Both are missing the back box covers but it looks easy enough to make one. Time to order balls, new rubbers, novus, mill wax and I'm debating converting to leds. Have the manual and schematics for the Fan-Tas-Tic downloaded and ready to go. The Bally had all that inside the cab.

I'll be taking a deep dive and posting pictures of each once I bring them home, then bust out the multi meter and get to work. I'm sure it wasn't near the deal of the century but I'm excited and truly have the bug now.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

Welcome aboard! Once you have the bug it's hard to shake! Pinside is a fantastic EM community where you can learn and enjoy EMs with other collectors. We try to help each other out as much as we can -- often helping with parts-needs or advice (no shortage of advice and opinions on here, haha!) -- and it's a great place to learn a ton.
    I HIGHLY recommend you read this from one end to the other: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
    It's essentially the Bible of EM repair and you can't go wrong. Welcome to an addictive, fantastic hobby, and welcome to Pinside!
    Mark

Thanks for the link, even more reading yay! lol What's funnier is I noticed they are in Michigan as well... I'm fast learning this state is full of pinheads lol

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Where's the part where you say you went to the Ann Arbor pinball show this past weekend (owned/run by the pinrepair.com guy - http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128), saw all of his EMs (and solid states) and were blown away?

There was one this last weekend? Huh.... Already working out plans for the 3 Michigan shows I found out about. Maybe even the Ohio show near my folks place. I'll have to take Mom out there too. I had no idea about these shows until I joined here, I've been missing out for so long.

Mi Pinball Expo - TBD
    Ohio Pinball Show Mar31 - April 1
    Pinball at the Zoo April 21-23rd
    Ann Arbor May 13-15

Going to be a fun few months

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Congratulations! A Williams and a Bally right out of the gate! I think you'll enjoy the differences between those two manufacturer's approaches as you start working on them.
    Have fun!

Really looking forward to getting into them. I noticed differences right away just looking them over. The play-field "hinges" on the Bally were really nice compared to the Williams just sitting on the wood supports. Plus one is a center pop and one zipper flipper. Two things I've never played before. Already thinking about what's next lol really want one with "normal" flippers and drop targets. That'll have to wait until I get these two going good.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

When you order a few bits and piece also purchase a “Full Sheet” schematic. The scans are fine, but nothing like having all the information in a readable format on that BIG single sheet, it’s worth the $20.

Luckily the scan I found was all one page and I have a plotter at work. So I can spend the $20 on a new rubber kit lol Print ended up being 4ft long I've worked off prints for buildings small than that hahaha

1 week later
    #23 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

welcome,I too took the plunge into the world of EM's, I absolutely love them.

I was hesitate like I mentioned but damn did I hit a vein. I'm hooked.

Quoted from NoQuarters:

Lucky you - and I see a fellow pinsider has posted he is within close distance to you also. Welcome to the EM world. Watch out - you may end end up with a bunch of games quickly -I didn't think I'd have as many as I have in less than a year. Have fun. Don't be afraid to seek out another running machine to go along with the two projects. The projects might get going easy or they might fight you some. Hopefully it goes pretty smooth. Don't be discouraged if there are a few hiccups when you start working on them. Good luck - and remember - make it fun. Keep your eyes peeled - I sense another EM in your future...

Thank you! Everyone on here has been awesome and it's been great to meet folks from near by. Hopefully we'll get to meet face to face at one of the upcoming events. I'm really enjoying working on these more than I can express. I was worried starting out with a project but I have learned so much already I wouldn't hesitate again. I really hope to have more someday. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for another gem to pop up. Budget won't allow for a museum piece anytime soon but an old dusty in need of tlc can come my way anytime. The more EMs I look up the longer my wish list gets

For everyone wanting to know how these babies are coming see the thread below. Definitely some hiccups, wait till you get to the coin door dilemma And with

I didn't think to put it in the resto category but it turned into that quickly. Wonder if I should ask a mod to move it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pins-are-home-time-to-start-the-adventure

20160320_220307_(resized).jpg20160320_220307_(resized).jpg

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Pics are good in any thread. Congrats on the pins, i see empty wall there waiting for number 3!

The part of the basement you don't see is in the process of being gutted. A project started before the pins. Apparently I like burning the candle at both ends. But that said I'm trying to figure how to place my pool table for maximum pin space availability.
    vnwnc_(resized).jpgvnwnc_(resized).jpg

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...on craigslist, would be my suggestion.

haha he's got jokes! Ryan I gotta admit it's crossed my mind a time or two but I'll try my hardest to make it work. If you had any idea how much "stuff" I had down here before the flooding I'm sure I'd get a in response. Way too many hobbies and not enough time or space lol

Quoted from amkoepfer:

Hahahaha!
    Im in the same boat, started building my basement, but i keep buying games that i have to store and cant play!!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-gameroom-build-thread/page/2#post-3066529

That basement is huge! Good luck with the finishing looks like you're well on your way!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zarklin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-guy-entering-the-world-of-em?tu=Zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.