The process is very straightforward, really. You should also remove the rubbers from the in-lanes, but protect the plastic posts as noted way back when in the thread below - with coils sleeves trimmed for length and heat shrink tubing. The "hardest" part of all of this is removing the upper playfield to gain access to the posts, which is more tedious than difficult.
The diverter bracket itself can be easily reached from below.
One additional issue I found, even after I made the modification, was the formation of a small burr on the very leading tip of the diverter bracket. The ball would hit that and ricochet around, spoiling the loop shot. A quick hit with the dremel knocked that burr back down to flush.