Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by calvin12
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1060111.JPG
    P1060115.JPG
    PINKball.jpg
    WHITEball.jpg
    ORANGEball.jpg
    GREENball.jpg
    BLUEball.jpg
    GIDball.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

ModMyPin.com a new firm has announced that they will the first real GID balls at the Chicago show! They are making them as replacements for the Viper Night Drivin' balls (which didn't really glow) and they are also making different color fluorescent balls. Check it out!

#3 10 years ago

The blue might be cool on Transformers with a black light as energon balls.

#4 10 years ago

Very cool concept, but I have two comments...
    1.) Will people be able to get past the look that they're playing with a high bounce ball from one of those 25c dispensers in front of Wal-Mart? (is the size, density, sound, etc... the same)
    2.) Someone really needs to learn how to play No Fear

#5 10 years ago

The bigger is issue is will anyone try and eat one!

#6 10 years ago

Wonder what price will be ?

#7 10 years ago

I wonder if you'll need to charge them with a bright light...

#8 10 years ago

Digging the new balls... but honestly; I'm curious what the balls are made of and how they respond to different scenarios.
    As they wear; do they loose GID properties?
    Are the non-GID; just uv reactive or do they GID as well?
    I think I saw language about a metallic core... so magnets?

No I don't believe you'll give away trade secrets. I do wish you luck in this but for me the cost will really determine wide spread usage.

I'll have to ponder how or if I'll implement these in Star Trek: The Mirror Universe.

#9 10 years ago

I'd definitely try them in my TZ. The gum balls I have loaded in the gum ball machines are the larger ones that are the size of a pinball. If I use the assorted color glo balls, it would add to the craziness of this game. I've been waiting for a mod like this for a long time!

I wonder if they are UV reactive? I know the glo balls need to be charged before they will glow.

#10 10 years ago

Be interested to hear if they work with magnets... looking at the No Fear or in something like Addams...

#11 10 years ago

I am interested in contacting the company, but I dont see this possible on site......Anyone know how to reach the principals?

Thanks

#14 10 years ago

Maybe add a white light in the ball trough to charge them?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Maybe add a white light in the ball trough to charge them?

That's what I was thinking, using UV strip lights for max charge in the trough.

Might interfere with games using optos, unless the UV is really clean and not throwing any IR

#16 10 years ago

Will they work with UV lights? If so I might buy some for my predator!

#17 10 years ago

What a giant tease!

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeinNJ:

I had a thought -- how about putting a small spotlight or two (maybe hooked into the GI) that shines into the ball trough when the machine is on? that would keep all the balls charged and glowing super bright once they are ejected onto the playfield

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeinNJ:

The more light they absorb the more they glow. If you look at the video and watch the balls that continue to get bounded into the upper playfield, you'll notice they glow more when they get to the flippers.

We are working on a mod for UV lights in the trough. Just not there yet. So what you are seeing are balls coming out of the black under the machine and glow right away.

Also note that the one ball that doesn't glow is the original Viper Ball.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am interested in contacting the company, but I dont see this possible on site......Anyone know how to reach the principals?
    Thanks

Send me an email.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from vster23:

Will they work with UV lights? If so I might buy some for my Predator!

I think these would be beyond awesome in this machine. Hopefully they will let us put a set in a machine in Chicago. I promise this will rock!

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I had a thought -- how about putting a small spotlight or two (maybe hooked into the GI) that shines into the ball trough when the machine is on? that would keep all the balls charged and glowing super bright once they are ejected onto the playfield

This is another thought. You have to remember though if the light doesn't touch that area of the ball, it will have a dark spot there. But to get them started, this would work so that when a machine goes dark, the light hooked to the GI would go off.

#23 10 years ago

I'll be at the show and I have tested these in my Metallica LE and all the magnets worked fine.

Due to the lighter balls 60 grams, it was a super fast flowing game it actually made the left ramp easier to hit.

#24 10 years ago

Wow, this is great! I'm particularly pleased that they are the same weight as the original Glo-Balls, as that is a huge part about why I like that game so much. I doubt I'll use them in too many other things - the difference in ball weight really does make them play differently - but I am stoked to get some for VND!

Do you have any idea on pricing? Not sure if I'll be able to make Expo but might be able to ask a friend to pick up a pack or two for me

#25 10 years ago

Actually at 60 grams it's more the weight of a TZ Powerball, which is 60.8 grams. The original Glo-Ball (I have a NOS one) weighs in at about 58.1 grams on my scale. By comparison, a regular carbon steel pinball is almost 81 grams. I don't mind the slight extra weight compared to the original Glo since I've played with a powerball in VND. Will be interesting to see how these hold up in the machine. I will definitely be ordering!

viperrwk

#26 10 years ago

I think they'd look terrific in BBB, but the lighter weight would really make them fly around and I'd hate to break anything in the game because of the added speed and impact.

#27 10 years ago

How much ?

#28 10 years ago

I'll take two blue and two orange - tron you got another mod coming.. Was going to buy powerballs as I have heard its a fun mod - but nope this is now it! Can't wait for these to come in stock

#29 10 years ago

the million dollar question

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I think they'd look terrific in BBB, but the lighter weight would really make them fly around and I'd hate to break anything in the game because of the added speed and impact.

In'm not a physics person by any means, but if the ball weighs less, I believe that it would actually carry less inertia, even at a higher speed, possibly resulting in fewer broken things.

#31 10 years ago

I was hoping more like a $5 or less question

#32 10 years ago

I might Pick a few of these up at the Show, and maybe even a few more for Stock.

#33 10 years ago

If they are reasonably priced and hold up well without flaking off then I am interested. Could be fun for something new for tournament games.

#34 10 years ago

We are working out the final pricing. We won't have very many of each color at the show as we have to airfreight them in. Larger shipment coming later for online sales. It's a small run in terms of production so they aren't "cheap" but we are trying to keep the cost down.

They will come in a 4 pack and I"ll show you a picture as soon as a final first run sample get's here. The funny/unfunny story is that we tried to send them EMS Post during the recent Chinese Fall holiday and the Air Security people returned them and said we can't send them via PO. Imagine what they look like on an X-ray. So, good ole FedEX is next.

I had fun at airline security recently when I was taking them to show a friend... Oh look, you have wires, circuit boards, batteries and ??? shrapnel???? in your bag... hmmmm

#35 10 years ago

Can you please do a tron 4 pack? 2 yellow 2 blue?

#36 10 years ago

What's going on here? All this metric weight talk. I didn't think U.S liked metric

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from TurboBengal:

In'm not a physics person by any means, but if the ball weighs less, I believe that it would actually carry less inertia, even at a higher speed, possibly resulting in fewer broken things.

Some testing on ball speeds with the new ball weight would need to be done to verify how much more or less impact would be felt. Looking purely at momentum, momentum is mass * velocity. I'd be expecting the reduction in weight will be offset by an increase in ball velocity from the flippers as the impulse from the flippers will be identical in a modern machine.

#38 10 years ago

very curious also, will they last?
    and how much is the big question, won't be surprised to see a ridiculous price on this, like $25-$29.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from coz6:

I'll take two blue and two orange - Tron you got another mod coming.

I've played Tron with four VND glo-balls. It's pretty crazy, but quite fun!

#40 10 years ago

BSavage will they work with games such as TOM where magnets play a big part in the game (i.e. Spirit Ring and the drain lanes (Hocus Pocus))?

Also, on the site it states "These are not GID but they do reflect light which makes them bright.
    For example, if your machine's lights run blue, the pearl white ball will take on a blue cast, if green, a green cast...etc.". How much more can these reflect then a polished steel ball that is like a mirror to begin with!!!

Thanks and great to see so many people coming up with more mods for games, whether they be good or bad, it's good for the hobby!!!

#41 10 years ago

Ok, I will buy these for all my machines lol

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Also, on the site it states "These are not GID but they do reflect light ...

But they also state:

Pinballs glow in the dark only after being exposed to a light source that charges the balls. The longer the ball is exposed to a light source, the longer it glows.

So which is it? Do they glow, or don't they?

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

But they also state:

The way I read it is......there is a glow in the dark ball but then they also have the 5 other colored balls for a total of 6 all together.

I also see that there is a steel core but wondering if that is enough to activate the magnets on any game that would use them.

Have to admit the green or GID balls would look great on a RFM game!

#44 10 years ago

I might have to try these in my BBB and TRON.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

What's going on here? All this metric weight talk. I didn't think U.S liked metric

That's how we buy our drugs, we're good with grams.

#46 10 years ago

Don't forget the last glow balls I saw for sale where $99 each and that was if you could find them.

Quoted from gweempose:

There are two type of balls. The Glo-Balls and then the fluorescent balls which come in 5 different colors.

#47 10 years ago

4 for $25 and I may try them in a game.

If they hold up then I would likely buy a larger quantity if I can get them for less than $5.

Premium regulars sell for 1.50 each. Powerballs for $25. These need to be substaintially less than powerballs if they are going to sell well IMHO. Afterall, I don't see people outfitting many games with all powerballs for the fun of it (Granted the Tron I played with em is super fast/fun/different).

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Some testing on ball speeds with the new ball weight would need to be done to verify how much more or less impact would be felt. Looking purely at momentum, momentum is mass * velocity. I'd be expecting the reduction in weight will be offset by an increase in ball velocity from the flippers as the impulse from the flippers will be identical in a modern machine.

i'm no expert, but isn't the ball, regardless of its mass, merely carrying around the energy put into it by the flippers? in theory, any ball of any arbitrary weight ought to be hitting stuff with the same force as any other mass ball if they were all accelerated by the same source (the flipper, whose strength is assumed constant). they would all be traveling at different velocities, granted, but the force of impact would theoretically be the same, wouldn't it?

#49 10 years ago

they should have videos of durability on here before expo if they want to sell a bunch. Many people have tried to make them and failed due to chipping and wear after only 100 games. Also, the weight and rubber like bounce of glowballs are different than a powerball or regular pinball.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Only the smart ones enjoy metric or maybe just the ones like myself who are too lazy to do imperial conversions.

I think the first part of this oatmeal comic sums it all up. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/senior_year

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glow-in-the-dark-pinballs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.