5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jalpert
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture.JPG
2014-11-16 09.13.37.jpg
2014-11-16 09.14.04.jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Been on my list for a little while. Keep buying games and wanting to swap in the latest ROM, so I'm usually spending the money to buy them. It got to the point, like other stuff, where I said "maybe I can do this myself"

Did my homework and picked up a burner, UV eraser, and a bunch of extra chips to play with.

This morning I was finally sick of the gold ROMs in my TAF, so I put my mind to it and figured it out.

I know it's not a huge deal, but very cool to boot up TAF with a ROM I burned myself!

2014-11-16 09.13.37.jpg 2014-11-16 09.14.04.jpg Capture.JPG
#3 5 years ago

strangely feels empowering...doing something myself that I previously had to rely on others...

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

strangely feels empowering...doing something myself that I previously had to rely on others...

I agree. Good choice on the GQ-4X.

#5 5 years ago

I did the same. Few little quirks to figure out but pretty cool to do it yourself.

#6 5 years ago

Are they pricey?

I would like to do the same thing, Just to be able to be self sufficient, not for profit

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I agree. Good choice on the GQ-4X.

Ditto, same one I have myself.

Starscream, around 100 for the writer and an eraser.

#8 5 years ago

Yep, that's about what I paid. I also bought a bunch of spare chips so I'm not pulling a ROM out of a machine, erasing, and putting it back.

#9 5 years ago

I'd like this too, where did you find it? Are these new or used?

#10 5 years ago

The programmer is from mcumall. The UV eraser is a cheapy one, I think it was $15 on ebay. Happy to provide links.

#11 5 years ago

I have wanted to learn this for a long time, just think it would be so hard to figure out, would not even know what kind of roms I would need to have...probably easier than I think...gotta get over the hurdle.

#12 5 years ago

It is not hard at all! Take the plunge and do it; you will wonder why you waited so long!

#13 5 years ago

Really not that hard at all if you are willing to learn and at least a little bit technical. $125 or so spent on a programmer, UV eraser and a few eproms can pay for itself pretty quick if you have a lot of games that you want to upgrade.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Really not that hard at all if you are willing to learn and at least a little bit technical. $125 or so spent on a programmer, UV eraser and a few eproms can pay for itself pretty quick if you have a lot of games that you want to upgrade.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Can you guys provide some links on what is needed? I likely have a bunch of old roms I replaced with updated ones that I could reuse anyway.

#15 5 years ago

I just picked up the same unit after deciding to put more energy into pin maintenance, and restoring. I'm glad to hear it works well!

#16 5 years ago

ROM burning isn't rocket science, it's got a bit of a learning curve, but it's not steep!

#17 5 years ago

Greg could I bother you for a few links? PM'ed would be fine,
Would love to be able to do this at home,
Maybe make a few custom rules (ball saver on TAF possible with this kinda thing right?)

#18 5 years ago

I purchased the exact same set up a few months ago but I don't know how to use it. Is there a good YouTube vid or how to available? I'm not the best with computers but capable.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I purchased the exact same set up a few months ago but I don't know how to use it. Is there a good YouTube vid or how to available? I'm not the best with comput capable.

Yes there is. Just do a search on the programmer the OP bought, and there is a guy on youTube who does a review and shows how to use it, i have the same programmer and the videos convinced me to buy it. Sorry I don't have a link, all I have access to right now is my cell phone. As for buying blank eproms, I wish I had a good source, but don't know of any, maybe someone else can recommend a good source. The programmer is easy to use, and I have never burned a bad chip yet, and before getting the GQ-4X I had never burnt a chip before period. I basically bought mine to burn test chips for trouble shooting boards, but have since burnt some of the non ghosting rome for my other games and so far so good.

#20 5 years ago

Nothing secret about it...
Here is the programmer
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4282

And here is the UV eraser
ebay.com link » High Speed Ultraviolet Light Uv Eprom Eraser Erase Eraseable Timer 110 240vac

The biggest thing I learned was to remove the labels from the existing ROMs so they would erase. I kept taking them, plopping them into the eraser, trying to burn them, and got errors. Literally an hour's worth of head scratching until I thought, hmm, UV...maybe this label is blocking it. Yeah, that made my life a LOT better

To be fair, I did hunt and peck and found a used programmer because I'm a cheap SOB. So the used one ran me around $80 shipped.

#21 5 years ago

here's a seller on ebay with the programmer shipped for $100 (new)
ebay.com link » Mcumall Canada Genuine Gq True Usb Gq 4x Eprom Flash Picecu Avr Chip Programmer

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Literally an hour's worth of head scratching until I thought, hmm, UV...maybe this label is blocking it. Yeah, that made my life a LOT better

ha. That's why if the roms are missing labels, you should never exposed the boards to direct sunlight.

Awesome thanks for the info, this is going to save me and my friends a lot of money in the near future.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

here's a seller on ebay with the programmer shipped for $100 (new)
ebay.com link » Mcumall Canada Genuine Gq True Usb Gq 4x Eprom Flash Picecu Avr Chip Programmer

That's the mfr's ebay store. They are in Canada. I forgot which way, but it's either cheaper to get it from them directly or from their ebay store. Weird, but yeah.

#24 5 years ago

Hey, just about to buy, but went to the link, then to the other items for seller, and there are a lot of ones that look the same. It looks as though the two ebay links above are of different models of the same looking device.

Can anyone advise which is the one we need for pinball. Do these do all systems by the way?

Thanks for all the help. Really glad this was posted.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

That's the mfr's ebay store. They are in Canada. I forgot which way, but it's either cheaper to get it from them directly or from their ebay store. Weird, but yeah.

I'm in Canada, and it's cheaper for me I noticed to order from ebay.com (US) then to order directly

#26 5 years ago

I think some of the other packages they offer come with various adapters and things. You don't actually need any, so just the base unit should be A-OK for you!

#27 5 years ago

Great info simpler than I thought it would be.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

The biggest thing I learned was to remove the labels from the existing ROMs so they would erase. I kept taking them, plopping them into the eraser, trying to burn them, and got errors. Literally an hour's worth of head scratching until I thought, hmm, UV...maybe this label is blocking it. Yeah, that made my life a LOT better

Just make sure to put a label back on it.

#29 5 years ago

yep. Need to get a good small printing label maker. The stuff I have at work is too wide.

#30 5 years ago

can you burn a non-ghosting patch for all B/W roms?

#31 5 years ago

I don't have a clue how to do that. I can't edit them, I can just burn them

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

can you burn a non-ghosting patch for all B/W roms?

anyone can do that if you have the program to patch it.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

yep. Need to get a good small printing label maker. The stuff I have at work is too wide.

Scissors.

#34 5 years ago

It is a no brainer to pick up an eraser and burner. I think it was all of $50 for the UV Eraser and the Willem 5.0 burner for me.

#35 5 years ago

Looks like Ebay might be a good place o buy blank EPROMS
I just draw up labels in Corel and print them on label paper. (And yes cut them out with a scissor or hobby knife actually)

#36 5 years ago

I have been using this same setup for a few years now it works great.

Quoted from NJGecko:

Nothing secret about it...
Here is the programmer
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4282
And here is the UV eraser
ebay.com link » High Speed Ultraviolet Light Uv Eprom Eraser Erase Eraseable Timer 110 240vac
To be fair, I did hunt and peck and found a used programmer because I'm a cheap SOB. So the used one ran me around $80 shipped.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

As for buying blank eproms, I wish I had a good source, but don't know of any, maybe someone else can recommend a good source.

I buy in quantity from EpromMan.com.

#38 5 years ago

Ok, took the first step, ordered the eraser.. baby steps towards the burner..

#39 5 years ago

Those are the exact two that I have and I couldn't be happier. Never had a rom I couldn't burn (or erase) yet. Yes, the eraser quality could be a little better (the timer doesn't line up properly) but for the price it works fine.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I buy in quantity from EpromMan.com.

Wow - nice prices!

I've bought blanks from Bob Roberts (www.therealbobroberts.net) and Mouser before, but looks like this guy blows those prices away. I did see his are used eproms (like Bob's), so if you want new ones go with Mouser, DigiKey, etc

#41 5 years ago

Where is the best place to get the files to update the software for pins? Also is there a standard few EPROMs we should purchase to have as back ups?

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Where is the best place to get the files to update the software for pins?

IPDB.org (less Gottlieb and a few others).

#43 5 years ago

What about changing the rules for certain pins? How could you do that

As I mentioned earlier maybe a timed ball save on TAF?
That has to be my most disliked feature of that game,

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

What about changing the rules for certain pins? How could you do that
As I mentioned earlier maybe a timed ball save on TAF?
That has to be my most disliked feature of that game,

For that you'd need to edit the ROM file before burning.

It's a lot more difficult (usually..) than simply burning.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

IPDB.org (less Gottlieb and a few others).

Yea I just noticed how lazy I was when I asked that. Sorry.

#46 5 years ago

So I looked into this more, this ebay seller sells a few ones that have slightly different names with different costs:

MCUmall Canada Genuine GQ True USB GQ-4X EPROM FLASH PICECU AVR Chip Programmer

MCUmall Canada GQ brand True USB GQ-4X EPROM BIOS chip Burner Programmer 87C510

TrueUSB GQ-4X EPROM BIOS chip Burner Programmer 87C510

They all look the same, and appear to not have any extra hardware. Anyone know which to get or if there is a difference?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

So I looked into this more, this ebay seller sells a few ones that have slightly different names with different costs:
MCUmall Canada Genuine GQ True USB GQ-4X EPROM FLASH PICECU AVR Chip Programmer
MCUmall Canada GQ brand True USB GQ-4X EPROM BIOS chip Burner Programmer 87C510
TrueUSB GQ-4X EPROM BIOS chip Burner Programmer 87C510
They all look the same, and appear to not have any extra hardware. Anyone know which to get or if there is a difference?

They're all the same.
The model # is GQ-4X.

I have one too, have had it for the last 5 years or more.

#48 5 years ago

NJgecko- Thanks for the motivation to get this up and running.

I have had this set up here for a while now and I have not gotten around to using it. I watched a video on youtube today which I will link below, followed it step for step and burned my first rom.

This system is so easy to use I am kicking myself for ever ordering roms prior to today.

Here is the youtube video I used:

#49 5 years ago

Ordered. How do you know which roms to get?

Does the reader confirm the type of rom put in as well for old ones I have?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ordered. How do you know which roms to get?
Does the reader confirm the type of rom put in as well for old ones I have?

The eproms have markings on them that tell you what they are. You have to manually select the correct chip number from a list of devices so it knows programming voltages, etc. So you click a button, it pops up a list of devices and you can either type in or scroll to find your chip number. There are usually generic versions of eproms too if you aren't sure, but better to pick the specific chip number that's marked on top of your eprom just in case it requires different programming voltages or routines. Once you select the device, you can read or write to it (if the chip is blank). So you can verify checksums of an already programmed device or use the checksum to identify the version of the chip if a checksum was noted in the readme or on IPDB, etc.

It's really not hard, but AFAIK, no.. it won't auto-detect older eprom devices. Have to manually select the device each time. I think some newer devices it can detect though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside