Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0f198b38c74bd63f9dd65a2065fb1304 (resized).jpg
    39DDA636-C4C4-43D9-B235-E1A78C6BBC66 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chad.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200211/luciano-bill-would-ban-self-service-gas-pumps-in-illinois

I sure hope this does not pass and spread to other states. I personally don't like anyone other than my mechanic touching my car.

#4 4 years ago

I

Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Doubtful this will gain any traction in IL. They do this in NJ and I don't like it at all. The attendant ended up stealing my CC info and charges began to pop up the next day. Fortunately the CC company's fraud / security reps caught it before me and cancelled the card and overnighted another. But still, I want to pump my own gas.

I read that it was active in NJ .

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I visit IL regularly enough and I would hate to have to deal with this (don't even get me started on stop light cameras). Laws being put in place to keep us from pumping our own gas? jfc. Find something better to spend your time on than this!
    Like others, I don't want anyone else touching my car, or leaving drips of paint eating gasoline all over it, plus the obligatory tip for "full service." No thanks.

It popped up on my feed, I was not actively looking for laws.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

New Jersey has been that way since "the beginning of time". Years ago they tried to change over to self serve (when I was still living their in the late 1970's) but it never happened. Kind of a PITA in a way but also kind of nice in a way.

Quoted from FatPanda:

I got "busted" on a right turn cam in IL. The signage was not lit, the intersection was completely empty, it was late at night. $200 fine. Complete BS. This was about 5 years ago and I had gone down there to pick up a new-to-me car, so it was my first time driving it as an owner. I had stopped to get gas; turned out to be the most expensive tank of gas I've ever paid for!

I think they are removing cameras now.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

not you looking for laws, for lawmakers making laws. I can see how you misread that. Not meant to come off this way. Edited for clarity.

Sorry my misunderstanding.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Sorry my friends on the other side of the river. I just paid $1.84 a gallon at the Sams Club by my house. I can't believe they were able to pass that doubling of your gas tax last year without a vote. Here in Missouri it takes a vote, which is why our gas tax hasn't changed since something like '91. For what it's worth, I don't believe this, not being able to pump your own gas, will pass.

The thing is where does that money we over taxed payers go to?. Not to the roads, and if they do any work it's just a layer of asphalt band aid.

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

For those that don't know this.
    IL just also passed an huge increase in the gas tax as well. And on top of that, they also raised vehicle registration by 50 dollars.
    So it now costs 150 or 160 to license your car.
    Now... I won't get political here. We need the money because we had the worst governor in history who refused to pass a budget and that shot our bond rating and put us in the crapper.
    However, our new governor... Well... Lets just say while he has done 1 or 2 good things... The bad outweighs his good. And really no difference from the old guard.
    And then the article with the stupid democrat legislator who I don't think lives in the real world. Has the audacity to claim that no one would notice if the gas price goes up...
    What BS is that. Everyone notices. in fact. I noticed when my gas reimbursement from work(its based on the fed rate) went down .5 cents a mile... That factors maybe 20-30 dollars less I get a year... But, I still noticed it. And not happy that while the rates for the nation have gone down. My own states have gone up.
    And please don't attack me. I made comments about both left and right parties being equally as incompetent. And I work my 9-5 for a school district. So no having that budget for 2 years really was scary. And it made my school district take a political stance. So please. Don't attack me.
    Lets just agree this is the stupidest piece of garbage legislation, and the lawmaker should be publicly shamed for being so stupid and out of touch with reality and not concerned at all about the ramifications for the people in her state.

Term limits would have been nice, but these people have gotten fat with our money.... hard to stop.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm 41 and I've remembered it being like that my whole life.

That's strange as a couple others have mentioned this. I recall hearing early in January 2020 that Jersey had voted to allow the ban . I hope I'm not misremembering this. Mandala Effect not a chance

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

It has been cited that gasoline in Illinois would be at least 40¢ a gallon higher if there were no Toll Roads there. What a crock of shit.

The toll tax to drive on a road that you are most likely already taxed on, despite the tollway being leased out for 99 years...

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Its been active in NJ for as long as I can remember. Over 20 years for sure.

I found the article and the way they worded it, made it seem like New Jersey had just implemented it. I stand corrected. Thanks.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah. I love how they encourage you to do something "good for the environment", then they find a way to punish you for it. Are bicycles next?

Anything with wheels could be a target.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

A few years back I got a letter in the mail saying I owed a fine for running a red light in some state west of here, Colorado or Utah I think it was. I figured it was a scam so I tossed it. Got another letter a few weeks later, tossed it. Got another letter that said this was my final warning or I'd be turned over to collections. I looked them up and found it was a real entity sending me the fine. I e-mailed them asking what kind of scam they were trying to pull and I told them I'd never been within 500 miles of their joke of a state. They replied back that they double checked the photo and it didn't match my license plate, so it was somebody else that ran the light.

Get a dash camera to.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Hey Illinois/NJ/NY...PA would like to chime in a moment. Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax in the nation and one of the worst kept road systems to boot. Why? Because most of our gas tax money gets diverted to fund the State Police, who always seem to be broke. The PA Turnpike must give 450 million a year directly to fund mass transit in Philly/Pittsburgh. When roads do get fixed, the system is so corrupt that it takes them years and years to complete the project, and the roads/bridges wind up being bumpier than when they started. Or they don't seal the asphalt joints the the road begins to crumble again after 2 winters...so the same clowns get to pave it again! Its like there is zero quality control. There is a relatively simple interchange on I83, just south of the York show location that has been under construction for years. There are literally kids in elementary school who have not been alive as long as the construction has been going on at 83/Mount Rose.

It will be interesting to see where the marijuana tax goes to. They say $250,000 a year per business will be made.....

#101 4 years ago

Camile Lilly now backtracking on the gas pumping, saying she did not want it to be illegal, just for safety. Ha Ha.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Same place all the millions of dollars went from legalizing gambling...back into the politicians and lobbyists pockets. Gambling was supposed to reduce property taxes. When you have the second largest state legislature in the nation, there are a lot of hands to grease.

I hear what your saying.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Today's roads are horrible for several reasons:
    1 - Blacktop isn't what it used to be. The environmental movement got ahold of blacktop...The oil used in blacktop today is not the same oil used many years ago. Back in the 80's, when you put down new pavement, it stayed dark black for well over a year. Today, when you put down new pavement, by the 3-5 month mark, it is already starting to turn gray. The oil used today is a much lighter oil then was used in the past.
    2 - Millings. When a road is milled, those millings are recycled back into the blacktop mix. The biggest issue, is a majority of the plants in production today, were constructed before millings were used. In order to be compliant, they retrofitted their plants in order to use millings. A brand new plant, is designed, to handle it, thus their blacktop isn't weakened by the millings, to where every other pre-existing plant is effected by the millings.
    3 - Old concrete roads. Ever drive on a road and 15 - 20 feet, you hit a bump? That's because they paved over an existing concrete road. Come the winter, the old concrete moved differently than the new blacktop on top, creating those bumps. Due to the older blacktop having much more strength, it wasn't that big of an issue...not anymore, cause the new blacktop can't handle the movement of the concrete underneath.
    4 - Standards have not evolved. On most roads, there's 1.5" - 2" of a blacktop course, on top of the stabilized base underneath. Before millings and the lighter oil, this thickness was more than capable of handling the traffic. With the blacktop now weakened, IMO, the roads should have 3" of blacktop, to make up for the reduced strength...For full disclosure, I am not a scientist, not sure if 3" is the magic number. But I know the current thickness just isn't working.
    5 - American way of paving vs. the German way of paving. Germany has the best roads in the world. The reason for this? They don't care if a road is shut down for an extended period. On any big contract in America, if you finish way ahead of schedule, you get completion bonuses. Also the way we pave. We put down the blacktop as fast as possible. In Germany, they run the machines as slow as possible. You get a better constructed road by going slow. Here, once a road is paved, we let traffic on it immediately. Germany? They keep the road closed for days.

Spot on , especially the blacktop and EPA.

#111 4 years ago

I know a guy who worked local blacktop paving 36 years and said it was downhill once the EPA stepped in..

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chad.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-gas-law-potential-?tu=chad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.