New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 261831)

New gas law potential

By chad

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0f198b38c74bd63f9dd65a2065fb1304 (resized).jpg
    39DDA636-C4C4-43D9-B235-E1A78C6BBC66 (resized).jpeg

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 months ago

Camile Lilly now backtracking on the gas pumping, saying she did not want it to be illegal, just for safety. Ha Ha.

#102 9 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Same place all the millions of dollars went from legalizing gambling...back into the politicians and lobbyists pockets. Gambling was supposed to reduce property taxes. When you have the second largest state legislature in the nation, there are a lot of hands to grease.

I hear what your saying.

#103 9 months ago

You can't even put your own petrol/ gas in ?How would that even work , back in the day when you had 2-8 pumps they used to have an attendant but now when you have like 20 to 30 pumps do you have a small Army of people to fill your tanks up or do you have to wait till they eventually get around to you .
    You guys call petrol " gas " we call gas LPG ( liquid petroleum gas ) , what do you call what we call gas .
    160 bucks for registration , we wish it is over $800 over here but if you run over someone their medical bills are covered , maybe I should run over a few more people to get my money's worth

#104 9 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Hey Illinois/NJ/NY...PA would like to chime in a moment. Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax in the nation and one of the worst kept road systems to boot. Why? Because most of our gas tax money gets diverted to fund the State Police, who always seem to be broke. The PA Turnpike must give 450 million a year directly to fund mass transit in Philly/Pittsburgh. When roads do get fixed, the system is so corrupt that it takes them years and years to complete the project, and the roads/bridges wind up being bumpier than when they started. Or they don't seal the asphalt joints the the road begins to crumble again after 2 winters...so the same clowns get to pave it again! Its like there is zero quality control. There is a relatively simple interchange on I83, just south of the York show location that has been under construction for years. There are literally kids in elementary school who have not been alive as long as the construction has been going on at 83/Mount Rose.

Today's roads are horrible for several reasons:

1 - Blacktop isn't what it used to be. The environmental movement got ahold of blacktop...The oil used in blacktop today is not the same oil used many years ago. Back in the 80's, when you put down new pavement, it stayed dark black for well over a year. Today, when you put down new pavement, by the 3-5 month mark, it is already starting to turn gray. The oil used today is a much lighter oil then was used in the past.

2 - Millings. When a road is milled, those millings are recycled back into the blacktop mix. The biggest issue, is a majority of the plants in production today, were constructed before millings were used. In order to be compliant, they retrofitted their plants in order to use millings. A brand new plant, is designed, to handle it, thus their blacktop isn't weakened by the millings, to where every other pre-existing plant is effected by the millings.

3 - Old concrete roads. Ever drive on a road and 15 - 20 feet, you hit a bump? That's because they paved over an existing concrete road. Come the winter, the old concrete moved differently than the new blacktop on top, creating those bumps. Due to the older blacktop having much more strength, it wasn't that big of an issue...not anymore, cause the new blacktop can't handle the movement of the concrete underneath.

4 - Standards have not evolved. On most roads, there's 1.5" - 2" of a blacktop course, on top of the stabilized base underneath. Before millings and the lighter oil, this thickness was more than capable of handling the traffic. With the blacktop now weakened, IMO, the roads should have 3" of blacktop, to make up for the reduced strength...For full disclosure, I am not a scientist, not sure if 3" is the magic number. But I know the current thickness just isn't working.

5 - American way of paving vs. the German way of paving. Germany has the best roads in the world. The reason for this? They don't care if a road is shut down for an extended period. On any big contract in America, if you finish way ahead of schedule, you get completion bonuses. Also the way we pave. We put down the blacktop as fast as possible. In Germany, they run the machines as slow as possible. You get a better constructed road by going slow. Here, once a road is paved, we let traffic on it immediately. Germany? They keep the road closed for days.

#105 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

1 - Blacktop isn't what it used to be. The environmental movement got ahold of blacktop...The oil used in blacktop today is not the same oil used many years ago. Back in the 80's, when you put down new pavement, it stayed dark black for well over a year. Today, when you put down new pavement, by the 3-5 month mark, it is already starting to turn gray. The oil used today is a much lighter oil then was used in the past.
    2 - Millings. When a road is milled, those millings are recycled back into the blacktop mix. The biggest issue, is a majority of the plants in production today, were constructed before millings were used. In order to be compliant, they retrofitted their plants in order to use millings. A brand new plant, is designed, to handle it, thus their blacktop isn't weakened by the millings, to where every other pre-existing plant is effected by the millings.
    3 - Old concrete roads. Ever drive on a road and 15 - 20 feet, you hit a bump? That's because they paved over an existing concrete road. Come the winter, the old concrete moved differently than the new blacktop on top, creating those bumps. Due to the older blacktop having much more strength, it wasn't that big of an issue...not anymore, cause the new blacktop can't handle the movement of the concrete underneath.
    4 - Standards have not evolved. On most roads, there's 1.5" - 2" of a blacktop course, on top of the stabilized base underneath. Before millings and the lighter oil, this thickness was more than capable of handling the traffic. With the blacktop now weakened, IMO, the roads should have 3" of blacktop, to make up for the reduced strength...For full disclosure, I am not a scientist, not sure if 3" is the magic number. But I know the current thickness just isn't working.
    5 - American way of paving vs. the German way of paving. Germany has the best roads in the world. The reason for this? They don't care if a road is shut down for an extended period. On any big contract in America, if you finish way ahead of schedule, you get completion bonuses. Also the way we pave. We put down the blacktop as fast as possible. In Germany, they run the machines as slow as possible. You get a better constructed road by going slow. Here, once a road is paved, we let traffic on it immediately. Germany? They keep the road closed for days.

Spot on , especially the blacktop and EPA.

#106 9 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

The PA Turnpike was to be like that. So they just piled on 11.8 billion in debt so it will never be paid off.

Every year they increase those tolls too!

#107 9 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Spit on , especially the blacktop and EPA.

The ironic things is, this is all mandated by the government, which then increases the costs of roads to government, because the roads now have half the life cycle.

#108 9 months ago

Nothing can/will satiate a politicians desire to have more of your money so they can dole it out in the way that is best for them personally. Sad.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#109 9 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Same place all the millions of dollars went from legalizing gambling...back into the politicians and lobbyists pockets. Gambling was supposed to reduce property taxes. When you have the second largest state legislature in the nation, there are a lot of hands to grease.

This. I am all for legal gambling and weed, doesn't bother me one bit. But all that money will be a drop in the bucket once all the "big guys" get paid/ get their pet projects approved and nothing will be done about the pension crisis that has been/is crippling the state.

#110 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Theres some truth to this, but from what I know in my time in construction and my good friend who runs a rotomill on a paving crew the main problem with IL is low standards and not requiring a warranty. Many states require some sort of warranty on their road work and if a road gets bad before that time the paving company must come out and fix it properly. This obviously gives a major incentive to paving companies to not cheap out on the work. Another thing is the standards are pretty low and the inspectors are highly paid jokes of men who really DGAF. I live on the state line of IL and WI and there is a stark contrast between Wisconsin roads and IL roads, with wisconsins being much much better

#111 9 months ago

I know a guy who worked local blacktop paving 36 years and said it was downhill once the EPA stepped in..

#112 9 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

You can't even put your own petrol/ gas in ?How would that even work , back in the day when you had 2-8 pumps they used to have an attendant but now when you have like 20 to 30 pumps do you have a small Army of people to fill your tanks up or do you have to wait till they eventually get around to you .
    You guys call petrol " gas " we call gas LPG ( liquid petroleum gas ) , what do you call what we call gas .
    160 bucks for registration , we wish it is over $800 over here but if you run over someone their medical bills are covered , maybe I should run over a few more people to get my money's worth

It's worked fine in New Jersey since I first visited there over 40 years ago. Same with Oregon for at least 20 years....

I thought it was mini-serve (pumping gas without washing your windshield is not "full service") in another Northeast state like Connecticut or New Hampshire as well. This was from a business trip there aboot ten years ago.

#113 9 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It's very difficult to do in the northeast. I tried getting to Long Island once by avoiding tolls, but abandoned the idea when I couldn't find pontoons to fit my car....
    No, but seriously, I won't do EZ Pass, and "toll by mail" is a glitch filled scam! The tolls around here are outrageous, especially if you go from NJ to Long Island.

I agree. When I worked in New Jersey for about a year, so I did purchase an EZ pass. Costs $9 at that time to take the Holland Tunnel, one way, to New York City from Hoboken, New Jersey. About 2 miles... My 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual transmission, Ford Ranger was not the normal vehicle in New York City, but I did manage to drive around without blowing the horn or having an accident. Ticket for blowing the horn in New York City was $375 at that time from what I read... I learned pretty rapidly, that the train and subway is the best way to travel in that area, as far as the price goes. I never realized that there are people 21 and older that work normal jobs in these places and do not have a driver's license. I was amazed. My 16 year old teenagers have driver's licenses and they drive frequently in their own vehicles. People in New York City and some places in New Jersey told me that they did not need a car or truck. I cannot imagine living normally without my own truck. But, I guess I am a product of my environment.

#114 9 months ago

Been driving for about 33 years. Figure I get gas twice a week on average and a LOW estimate is it takes an extra minute each time due to no self server. That's 3432 visits to NJ gas stations. Divide that by 1440 minutes in a day and I've wasted 2.83 days of my life waiting for gas station attendants. FU NJ!!!

#115 9 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Theres some truth to this, but from what I know in my time in construction and my good friend who runs a rotomill on a paving crew the main problem with IL is low standards and not requiring a warranty. Many states require some sort of warranty on their road work and if a road gets bad before that time the paving company must come out and fix it properly. This obviously gives a major incentive to paving companies to not cheap out on the work. Another thing is the standards are pretty low and the inspectors are highly paid jokes of men who really DGAF. I live on the state line of IL and WI and there is a stark contrast between Wisconsin roads and IL roads, with wisconsins being much much better

I own a paving company...everything I said is 100% true.

Every public job has a guarantee period after it’s finished. There’s all sorts of bonds on the jobs to protect the government from having to pay it again to re-do the job.

The problem with most inspectors...they are just engineers. They’ve never ran a paving machine in their life.

#116 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Every public job has a guarantee period after it’s finished. There’s all sorts of bonds on the jobs to protect the government from having to pay it again to re-do the job.
    The problem with most inspectors...they are just engineers. They’ve never ran a paving machine in their life.

I noticed in other parts of my state, they use a more "black" asphalt on state jobs, and it is mixed at temporary asphalt plants on site (Superpave?)...lasts forever compared to the dry shit they use in my area.

#117 9 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I noticed in other parts of my state, they use a more "black" asphalt on state jobs, and it is mixed at temporary asphalt plants on site (Superpave?)...lasts forever compared to the dry shit they use in my area.

They’re called portable plants...they are identical to stationary plants. The only difference is one is bolted down and the other isn’t.

I don’t pave in PA, I don’t know what your state approved mixes are.

Remember, blacktop is only as good as what’s underneath. It’s possible those state jobs have better bases than the other roads you compare it too.

The reason why they make portable plants, is to cut down on the travel time when constructing roads that don’t have any local plants.

My favorite when dealing with customers, is when they say they want the same mix as the parkway, because the parkway mix doesn’t have stone in it. I try to explain to them that when you’re driving 70mph, you can’t see the stones.

#118 9 months ago

Gotta agree about the PA turnpike.
    The tolls are among the highest I've ever encountered. Luckily my employer paid them while I was driving for them.

#119 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I just know IL's guarantee period is very low compared to wisconsin

#120 9 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

The PA Turnpike was to be like that. So they just piled on 11.8 billion in debt so it will never be paid off.

One of the ones here they tried to do that, when it was found out everyone got really angry and were forced to remove the tolls.

#121 9 months ago
    Quoted from wamoc:

Here in Colorado, any roads that are built as toll roads can only collect tolls until the road is paid off (it is written into law).

What?! Is E470 not freakin' paid off yet? This was built.. heck 21 years ago? 20?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.00
    $ 22.50
    $ 3.49
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Various Novelties
    Allteksystems
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 7,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside