Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0f198b38c74bd63f9dd65a2065fb1304 (resized).jpg
    39DDA636-C4C4-43D9-B235-E1A78C6BBC66 (resized).jpeg
    There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200211/luciano-bill-would-ban-self-service-gas-pumps-in-illinois

I sure hope this does not pass and spread to other states. I personally don't like anyone other than my mechanic touching my car.

#2 4 years ago

Already like that in some states... Oregon. I hate it too.

I grew up in Canada where some places also have "full serve". I once drove up and asked for fill up. Next thing I know I hear the punk tapping the gas nozzle on my car because I forgot to release the cover. Later I discover a bunch of scratch-dings where he tapped the nozzle. Asshole.

#3 4 years ago

Doubtful this will gain any traction in IL. They do this in NJ and I don't like it at all. The attendant ended up stealing my CC info and charges began to pop up the next day. Fortunately the CC company's fraud / security reps caught it before me and cancelled the card and overnighted another. But still, I want to pump my own gas.

#4 4 years ago

I

Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Doubtful this will gain any traction in IL. They do this in NJ and I don't like it at all. The attendant ended up stealing my CC info and charges began to pop up the next day. Fortunately the CC company's fraud / security reps caught it before me and cancelled the card and overnighted another. But still, I want to pump my own gas.

I read that it was active in NJ .

#5 4 years ago

As the article stated, two other states already have this. The one in Oregon is at least 20 years old already.

I’m worried about automation replacing jobs, but artificially creating them through legislation like this is just a drop in a bucket that already has hundreds of holes in it.

Also interesting to learn that Josh “Sharp” is moonlighting as CEO of the Illinois Petroleum Marketers Association.

#6 4 years ago

Its been active in NJ for as long as I can remember. Over 20 years for sure.

Quoted from chad:

I

I read that it was active in NJ .

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

New Jersey has been that way since "the beginning of time". Years ago they tried to change over to self serve (when I was still living their in the late 1970's) but it never happened. Kind of a PITA in a way but also kind of nice in a way.

#8 4 years ago

I visit IL regularly enough and I would hate to have to deal with this (don't even get me started on stop light cameras). Laws being put in place to keep us from pumping our own gas? jfc. Lawmakers need something better to spend their time on than this!

Like others, I don't want anyone else touching my car, or leaving drips of paint eating gasoline all over it, plus the obligatory tip for "full service." No thanks.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I visit IL regularly enough and I would hate to have to deal with this (don't even get me started on stop light cameras). Laws being put in place to keep us from pumping our own gas? jfc. Find something better to spend your time on than this!

Oh yeah, hate those too, have them in my town. Not only that, but also right-turn -VIDEO- cameras to catch you if you don't completely stop. But there's a technicality that you can get out of all of these, google it. You can just state that you weren't driving the car at the time.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Oh yeah, hate those too, have them in my town. Not only that, but also right-turn -VIDEO- cameras. I only stop on right turn if it's actually necessary. But there's a technicality that you can get out of all of these, google it. You can just state that you weren't driving the car at the time.

I got "busted" on a right turn cam in IL. The signage was not lit, the intersection was completely empty, it was late at night. $200 fine. Complete BS. This was about 5 years ago and I had gone down there to pick up a new-to-me car, so it was my first time driving it as an owner. I had stopped to get gas; turned out to be the most expensive tank of gas I've ever paid for!

#11 4 years ago

Thought OR had already discontinued this, last year maybe?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Thought OR had already discontinued this, last year maybe?

Not for the entire state. Just in rural areas after hours, it's no longer required to have an attendant.

#13 4 years ago

I used to live in PA and went to NJ frequently because of kids sports leagues.
    I'm pretty particular about my cars so I'd make sure I had enough gas to get in AND back out of NJ. If I had to buy gas there... I'd get out and "hover", to keep an eye on things.

#14 4 years ago

Think of how many unskilled labor jobs are created by having mandatory attendants pump gas. Has been like this my whole life in NJ and I never understood why other states don't do the same. And, who doesn't like being called "chief", "boss" and "brother" ?

#15 4 years ago

I've lived in NJ all my life, and "Fill it, regular" or "Twenty, regular, cash" are simply part of the language here. I got to say, it's really nice to not have to A) get out of your car on windy/rainy/snowy/blazing hot days to fill your tank or B) watch forced pump ads, or hold the handle when filling up.

I had the opportunity to live in Montana and Maryland for a bit, and while I liked the convenience of doing things quickly myself (waiting for a pump attendant can be annoying), the benefits of just having someone pump the gas for me while I chow down on my McDonalds is nice.

#16 4 years ago

I get gas in NJ all the time. I enjoy the fact I don’t have to get out of my car, get dirt on my hands, maybe gas on my hands, etc. I never get out of my car and “hover”. I never worry that the attendant is going to ding my car. And I give them a buck every time.

#17 4 years ago

It'll never pass. At least I hope not. Also when you consider the looming $15/hour minimum wage IL is implementing just bad news all over it

#18 4 years ago

The one thing my NJ born wife misses and always seems to mention from time to time with the pumping gas routine here in PA vs NJ.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I visit IL regularly enough and I would hate to have to deal with this (don't even get me started on stop light cameras). Laws being put in place to keep us from pumping our own gas? jfc. Find something better to spend your time on than this!
    Like others, I don't want anyone else touching my car, or leaving drips of paint eating gasoline all over it, plus the obligatory tip for "full service." No thanks.

It popped up on my feed, I was not actively looking for laws.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

New Jersey has been that way since "the beginning of time". Years ago they tried to change over to self serve (when I was still living their in the late 1970's) but it never happened. Kind of a PITA in a way but also kind of nice in a way.

Quoted from FatPanda:

I got "busted" on a right turn cam in IL. The signage was not lit, the intersection was completely empty, it was late at night. $200 fine. Complete BS. This was about 5 years ago and I had gone down there to pick up a new-to-me car, so it was my first time driving it as an owner. I had stopped to get gas; turned out to be the most expensive tank of gas I've ever paid for!

I think they are removing cameras now.

#21 4 years ago

Why not just mandate 1/2 the pumps or something?

Or better yet, have big oil pay the salary of a dedicated service pump with lower prices... It's not as though they haven't manipulated the economy enough already.

I'd like the option to pump my own. I plan on keeping my vehicle another 5 years so I'd rather put the scrapes and dings and gas drips there myself.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

It popped up on my feed, I was not actively looking for laws.

not you looking for laws, for lawmakers making laws. I can see how you misread that. Not meant to come off this way. Edited for clarity.

#23 4 years ago

What a bad idea yes 2 other states have a law like this. But IL also already has high gas taxes.
    Now who is going to pay the attendants? And we will soon have a $15.00 minimum wage kicking in.

#24 4 years ago

Probably 75%+ gas stations in Saskatchewan have attendants. All Co-op's are full serve.

Years ago, we'd see a different price .759 vs .779 per L for self-serve vs full serve, don't see that anymore.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

not you looking for laws, for lawmakers making laws. I can see how you misread that. Not meant to come off this way. Edited for clarity.

Sorry my misunderstanding.

#26 4 years ago

It might slow down the already long self service line at Costco, but most there act like they've never filled their own tank before anyway.

#27 4 years ago

some random lady from Jersey gave me $5 to pump her gas for her as she didn't know how to do it lol

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

some random lady from Jersey gave me $5 to pump her gas for her as she didn't know how to do it lol

Careful. That is how it starts. Next thing she'll invite you home. Then offer to put on a show for you with her and her Shetland pony for $5.

LTG : )

#29 4 years ago

We have it.

Unleaded is about 3.00 per gallon.
    Can’t say I love it or hate it.
    Rural passing self pump was big as I’ve slept outside a gas station waiting for them to open before. However doesn’t make much difference in really rural because they haven’t added credit card machines at the pump.

#30 4 years ago

Buy electric cars then you wont have to worry

#31 4 years ago

PV=nRT

Sorry, It can't be changed. It is and will always be the law.

#32 4 years ago

We have to pump our own fuel in the UK

#33 4 years ago

Wow, what a transparently blatant insult to everyone's intelligence!

Not only does the "representative" think you guys are a bunch of rubes who can't even be trusted to stick the pipe thingy into the gas hole and squeeze a trigger (after all, gasoline is both FLAMMABLE and (gasp!) TOXIC), she also thinks you are too socially retarded to make connections or form a sense of "community" spontaneously on your own without her help to save the day.

She comes across to me as being the worst kind of overbearing "mother in law from hell"!

#34 4 years ago

From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about

PV = nRT

#35 4 years ago

My first job was an attendant at a full serve station. Back then full service meant just that. There is nothing like having to check oil, tranny fluid, airing up all the tires and cleaning every window, only to find out the customer is buying 2 gallons. Minimum wage was $2.85 /hr. and I earned every penny. I hope my state never goes all in on full service only. I can see where it helps the elderly or folks that are physically unable but I love my cars and would never let a stranger pump my gas or even touch my vehicle for that matter. Btw...unleaded is $2.05 a gallon in KC right now.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

Electric charging stations will require "Power Center Technicians", they will earn more than Petrol Attendants.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Electric charging stations will require "Power Center Technicians", they will earn more than Petrol Attendants.

Install a home charger

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

Install a home charger

That's great if you have a home every 100 miles along your trip.

#39 4 years ago

Gas pumpers got cancer. That is why we went to self serve, at least here in Ontario.

#40 4 years ago

For those that don't know this.
    IL just also passed an huge increase in the gas tax as well. And on top of that, they also raised vehicle registration by 50 dollars.
    So it now costs 150 or 160 to license your car.

Now... I won't get political here. We need the money because we had the worst governor in history who refused to pass a budget and that shot our bond rating and put us in the crapper.

However, our new governor... Well... Lets just say while he has done 1 or 2 good things... The bad outweighs his good. And really no difference from the old guard.

And then the article with the stupid democrat legislator who I don't think lives in the real world. Has the audacity to claim that no one would notice if the gas price goes up...

What BS is that. Everyone notices. in fact. I noticed when my gas reimbursement from work(its based on the fed rate) went down .5 cents a mile... That factors maybe 20-30 dollars less I get a year... But, I still noticed it. And not happy that while the rates for the nation have gone down. My own states have gone up.

And please don't attack me. I made comments about both left and right parties being equally as incompetent. And I work my 9-5 for a school district. So no having that budget for 2 years really was scary. And it made my school district take a political stance. So please. Don't attack me.

Lets just agree this is the stupidest piece of garbage legislation, and the lawmaker should be publicly shamed for being so stupid and out of touch with reality and not concerned at all about the ramifications for the people in her state.

#41 4 years ago

ps that bill is pretty crappy and not thought out at all.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

IL just also passed an huge increase in the gas tax as well. And on top of that, they also raised vehicle registration by 50 dollars.
    So it now costs 150 or 160 to license your car.

Sounds like Michigan, but with better roads.

#43 4 years ago

The representative has said she has not done a final writing of the bill, and “..it’s not soup yet.”

I look at this as an attempt to give those with little opportunity to work another chance to work. Just look at the number of cashiers and baggers losing their hours due to Self Scan isles.

I doubt the bill will even get out of committee. She indicated she was surprised at how quickly and nasty the comments were to her about the bill.

The idea will die a slow death, but not before lots of angst and anger being expressed by many.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from GS2019:

I used to live in PA and went to NJ frequently because of kids sports leagues. I'm pretty particular about my cars so I'd make sure I had enough gas to get in AND back out of NJ. If I had to buy gas there... I'd get out and "hover", to keep an eye on things.

Wasn't the gas much cheaper in NJ than in PA? When I lived outside of Philly many years ago I always hoped I'd find myself in Jersey when the tank ran dry so I could save a few bucks on the fill-up. Same thing on road-trips on 95.

AAA shows that NJ no longer has super-cheap gas prices (though still cheaper than PA), so I assume they changed their tax structure at some point over the past 20 years. But back in the day it sure was nice.
    https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

So it now costs 150 or 160 to license your car

You guys don't have to get your car inspected each year and that can be very costly unless you have a newer vehicle. I would gladly pay more for registration if I didn't have to worry about state inspections.

#46 4 years ago

Sorry my friends on the other side of the river. I just paid $1.84 a gallon at the Sams Club by my house. I can't believe they were able to pass that doubling of your gas tax last year without a vote. Here in Missouri it takes a vote, which is why our gas tax hasn't changed since something like '91. For what it's worth, I don't believe this, not being able to pump your own gas, will pass.

#47 4 years ago

Why stop there? Bring back the full service gas station with the 2 bays.

39DDA636-C4C4-43D9-B235-E1A78C6BBC66 (resized).jpeg39DDA636-C4C4-43D9-B235-E1A78C6BBC66 (resized).jpeg
    #48 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Sorry my friends on the other side of the river. I just paid $1.84 a gallon at the Sams Club by my house. I can't believe they were able to pass that doubling of your gas tax last year without a vote. Here in Missouri it takes a vote, which is why our gas tax hasn't changed since something like '91. For what it's worth, I don't believe this, not being able to pump your own gas, will pass.

The thing is where does that money we over taxed payers go to?. Not to the roads, and if they do any work it's just a layer of asphalt band aid.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

I believe the state is considering, or already has a tax to nail electric cars because they don’t pay gas/road tax. Has anybody heard of this? Nobody escapes this states strangling grip.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I'm 41 and I've remembered it being like that my whole life.

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-gas-law-potential-/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.