(Topic ID: 10587)

New Gameroom question (s)

By The_Gorilla

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Twilight_Zone_Pinball_HDR_2.800.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Hey ya'll.
    I am thinking about grabbing 1/4 of my garage and making it my game room space.

1:It will be insulated but without a direct source of heat. Do you think a "good" electric heater would work for the room? Dimensions approximately 9 x 18.

2:Or, how would YOU heat it?

3:I also plan on installing a simple wall AC unit for the summer. Is there a wall Heat/AC combo?

4:Is there a temperature minimum and maximum to protect my games? EX: If the room gets down to 15 degrees in the winter or up to 95 degrees in the summer before I heat or chill the air to play will these temps cause any damage?

5:I plan on adding a small workshop at one end of the room, if I wanted to guarantee comfortable space for up to 4 pins and that workshop, what would YOU use as a MINIMUM space to do that?

Answer any and all questions you wish. At least it isn't a what should I buy poll again, right?

#2 12 years ago

The Gorilla is getting a new cage

#3 12 years ago

I know there's lots of people with good success using electric heaters for their garages.

I'd check out garagejournal.com about details on heating, but coming from an HVAC background, I would use electric for that space. I assume 8-10' ceilings? For a larger garage, I'd look into propane or gas, but that size the proper sized electric works great.

#4 12 years ago

I do not know all of the answers to your questions, but if you plan on adding any games pre-1985 with a true backglass, if you let the temp change drastically it will cause extreme flaking.

For your combo heater, ac unit, you could try this.
    http://www.gettington.com/product/soleus-12000-btu-portable-acheater-wremote/nx205.uts?srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=27-91494024-2&CTid=655&CTKey=Nextag

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

For your combo heater, ac unit, you could try this.

BRILLIANT!

Quoted from dmacy:

I'd check out garagejournal.com about details on heating

Thanks! I will.

Quoted from coasterguy:

The Gorilla is getting a new cage

It beats sleeping in the dog house.

#6 12 years ago

If your going to do it I say go all out and make it perfect and run your ducts out there to heat and cool it. Wouldn't want woz to get affected by iowas crazy weather swings!

#7 12 years ago

I'm looking into getting an out-building for my pins as well, so I'm glad the topic came up.

I was considering one of those window type units seen in hotel rooms. Can take care of both heating and cooling as well as be hooked to a thermostat which would help with some of the wild swings we seen in the South.

#8 12 years ago

My Shop/garage still doesn't have the furnace hooked up yet. So far I've been keeping it a little under 900 SF at 60 degrees using two little electric room heaters. Its well insulated and sheet-rocked though. I have to run a de-humidifier as well since its not vented heat but its been working well enough so far.

+1 on garagejournal.com I'm a member there. Great bunch of guys with an extreme amount of knowledge. Good fun too.

You could also look into putting a mini split electric furnace/ac out there. They work great!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

I'm looking into getting an out-building for my pins as well, so I'm glad the topic came up.
    I was considering one of those window type units seen in hotel rooms. Can take care of both heating and cooling as well as be hooked to a thermostat which would help with some of the wild swings we seen in the South.

You're refering to a split unit. They will do heating and cooling and for one room they're relative efficient and take up little space. They're also fairly affordable. Pending your ability, you can set it up yourself and just have a HVAC person/outfit charge it.

Quoted from ssathre:

+1 on garagejournal.com I'm a member there. Great bunch of guys with an extreme amount of knowledge. Good fun too.

I'm glad to see others on there. Great site and wish I knew more about it when I built my little 24x32x12 garage. It was my temporary summer holding spot for my pin and vids over the summer and fall.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I'm glad to see others on there. Great site and wish I knew more about it when I built my little 24x32x12 garage. It was my temporary summer holding spot for my pin and vids over the summer and fall.

Mine is a 26x32x10 and ill be putting an addition on in the spring. I lived on garage journal for about 8 months before I built mine. All my pins will be living out there once I'm completely finished.

#11 12 years ago

Just make sure to put the HVAC stuff on dedicated circuits. You definitely don't want high power draw appliances like AC's on the same circuit as your pins.

#12 12 years ago

If I am planning on a max of 4 pins, maybe a juke box, fridge and oh say one other non pin game, can I get away with one 20a circuit or should I bring out more?

#13 12 years ago

TG: I'd dedicate things. I'd put 3 20a circuits to spread across but I go overkill. Pending room in your panel of course....

I'm in process of redoing my basement now so all this is what I'm going through electrically anyway.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

can I get away with one 20a circuit or should I bring out more?

A single 20 amp circuit should be fine for the pins, but I wouldn't put your fridge on the same circuit. That sucker will draw a lot of juice every time the compressor kicks on.

#15 12 years ago

No way on the single 20. Minimum would be 2. I assume you're leaving the lights on the existing circuit.

#16 12 years ago

I use gas to heat my outbuilding. Cheaper. Good results with huge room.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Kane:

No way on the single 20

Yes to the lights on its own. Not only is 1 not enough but as I was thinking about it, I may be running heat and A/C so it definitely will not work. I will probably run one for the machines and another for anything else.

I am stoked!

I wonder if I can get the room done before Dorothy comes to visit???

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

I use gas to heat my outbuilding

I am going to see if I can tap in to the existing HVAC. The garage connects to a "new" room though so I don't know where to find it....yet.

#19 12 years ago

Is your garage attached to your house or not? If not I would up the 'R' value on the insulation.

I'm sure there is a man door leading outside? Make sure it's an insulated door with weather stripping and have a door sweep installed because you will a lot of heat loss in that area if you don’t. Also, are there any windows in your garage? Again, another area where there is a lot of heat loss... so you might want to consider either upgrading your windows to HE or make sure that the weather stripping & caulking are checked. I know you can install this film on your windows to make them more efficient, but I don't know much about it. Curtains or blind will reduce the heat loss as well. But if you don’t have any windows, all the better!

Is your garage door insulated? Another area where you lose a lot of heat, consider getting the panels insulated... either with rigid insulation or batt. There are advantages to both as well as disadvantages (Batt insulation can be heavy and your garage door will be a lot harder to open because of the extra weight), but it will be well worth it.

I assume that your garage is unfinished (ie. bare stud walls with no gypsum board)... you say that you are going to insulate, I would also suggest installing gypsum (aka: drywall and sheet rock) as this will improve your 'R' value of your garage. Gypsum doesn't really provide a lot of 'R' value, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

As far as heating goes, as previously mentioned, the ceiling mounted space heaters are good... and if your garage is really well insulated it shouldn't come on nearly as much if it weren't.

Lastly, I would suggest a dehumidifier. Not sure how humid it gets where you live, but it will reduce the water that is in the air that could affect the wood in your pins. Plus another advantage with a dehumidifier is that it actually reduces the heat and makes it much more comfortable in the summer time.

Hope everything turns out the way you like it!

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Berserk:

Hope everything turns out the way you like it!

I just wanted to say thanks.

It is attached, will have insulation and gypsum. The outside door that will connect is already insulated. The room will be sort of like creating a mud room, just reducing the garage by whatever area I end up using. I will treat the room like part of the house, though. I am mostly concerned with making the right choices for HVAC and humidity.

#21 12 years ago

Sounds like your getting some really good info here T_G. I cant really add much but if you need any help building it out I could cruise up some weekend and lend a hand. Or at least drink some cold beers and "manage" the job for ya! I must inform you that I am not a licensed contractor by any means but I can open a beer like nobodies business.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I could cruise up some weekend and lend a hand

That would be awesome but probably beyond the call of duty!

The only thing I can't remember how to properly do is frame a doorway. Thank goodness for the internet....

#23 12 years ago

Good luck TG! I wouldn't put any pins in my garage, I'd be more worried about the dust factor down here in Texas....

#24 12 years ago

Good luck TG! I wouldn't put any pins in my garage, I'd be more worried about the dust factor down here in Texas

Oh, I know it. With all of the construction going on around here dust is a nightmare. Don't worry though, I am TAKING part of the garage and making it a room, not USING the garage. That would be way too dirty for a game room. Plus, since only my wife and I (and any of you crazy people, will ever see it, the decor gets to be MY choice this time.

Maybe I can blow this up in size and use it as wall paper??

Twilight_Zone_Pinball_HDR_2.800.jpgTwilight_Zone_Pinball_HDR_2.800.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-gameroom-question-s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.